• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 and Gigabyte 299x wu8

rudolf.horak

My windows ultimate x64 was working fine then it started BSOD with a 7b stop. I have 2 identical copies and created a 3rd from backup.

I can take any of the 3 drives and plug them onto an ASUS board they all work fine..finds new hardware and runs fine..
A fresh bare win 7 created in the Asus blue screens too.

.Windows 10 works fine in the 299x

Is there some bios swtting or some known problem driver thst would cause that like it was in win Xp.

What could be the issue that ? Any suggestions on bios settings or drivers thst could be causing this?

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Sounds like AHCI things.
Check + swap around the AHCI/ATA mode in BIOS for your SATA boot drive.

Also, check/replace the SATA cable
(I know that shouldn't be a cause, I've had it happen more times than I'd care to admit. Inclu. one factory-sealed Gateway AIO PC)

If not SATA, I'd suspect a driver issue w/ the NVMe config. Win7 *can* fully support NVME drives, but can have issues if not configured correctly/in the right order.
Also, IIRC the early implementation of Secure Boot needs to be enabled. You cannot have CSM enabled in UEFI (and I've had legacy AICs 'auto' enable CSM before)

rudolf.horak

On the AHCI I have a choice between AHCI and Intel something.

The SATA cable can't be it because when I plug in the WIn 10 drive same slot it works

The drive is a physical drive.. not sure the NVME config is but like I said it ran before all of a sudden something changed.. I was guessing a bios setting but?

Not sure IIRC is but secure boot is disabled I will look at CSM in UFI.. I have tried legacy and UFI

In safe mode it stops on classpnp.sys before BSOD

My windows ultimate x64 was working fine then it started BSOD with a 7b stop. I have 2 identical copies and created a 3rd from backup.

I can take any of the 3 drives and plug them onto an ASUS board they all work fine..finds new hardware and runs fine..
A fresh bare win 7 created in the Asus blue screens too.

.Windows 10 works fine in the 299x

Is there some bios swtting or some known problem driver thst would cause that like it was in win Xp.

What could be the issue that ? Any suggestions on bios settings or drivers thst could be causing this?
While Windows 7 isn't officially supported, it will work as long as the USB3.0 and NVMe drivers are slipstreamed into the ISO. Secureboot and TPM must be disabled. Legacy mode everything. This only way I was able to get Win7 on my X299 system.

rudolf.horak

Yap you would think so but, this is what is happening. Is there a way to figure out if a corrupted driver or a registry setting is causing this problem? I am really hoping this forum can help me find the answer. NVME is the SSD that attaches to the motherboard right? Secure book it disabled I am not familiar with TPM or remember seeing it. The board has a legacy option or UFI but no SATA.

The drives I am running are the regular SATA mechanical drives. When I put in my Windows 10 it works fine. I am really hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Remember that all 3 drives run fine on the I7 MSI board, (where it never ran before) it just redetects the hardware and is good to go. When I made a fresh windows 7 install on the MSI board and moved it to the 299X it too blue screened with the exact same error as the previous drives.

rudolf.horak

Ok, I did some research on my issue and here is where I need some help. I found you switch over to AHCI ( I had to since this board does not have IDE or SATA option), it will generate a 7b fault. This is simular to WinXp when you moved it to another machine you had to delete the had disk controller and have windows find it again in the new computer. I found several procedures where you edit the registry \Services\PCiide and \masahci or lastorV values. I found the masahci but mine did not have the values listed. Does anyone know more about this? Is there another controller that could be doing this?