• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Homeworld 3 [Official Thread]

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
None of the studios after the original Relic seem to understand what makes the original Homeworld great, and that's its ambience. From the simple beauty and then tragedy of Kharak, to the glory of the Diamond Shoals, to the splendour of the Gardens and Cathedral of Kadesh, to the eerie sadness of the Karos Graveyard, to the titanic fleet protecting the Hyperspace Inhibitor, every mission had its own distinct feel (both visual and audio). And this meshes so incredibly tightly with the story being told and the battles being fought that the whole is able to sing with a voice far more powerful than the sum of its parts. It was a truly interactive experience, an exemplar of the fusion of videogame and movie that few titles have managed to achieve. A spectacle in every sense of the word.

I truly believe that Homeworld was a fluke, one of those great pieces of art - and it is very much art - that comes to pass only a handful of times during a lifetime. If that's so, then its unlikely that any of us will see a deserving sequel, and that saddens me. Yet that sadness is nothing, compared to the joy I feel knowing that the original game exists and I was fortunate enough to experience it.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) PNY QUADRO RTX A2000
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG 1080p
Case SilverStone Raven RV03
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
The lip syncing is pretty terrible in some cut-scenes too.

That's awesome. Need an object for sense of scale. I can't tell if that is a super small print or a gigantic print.
A bit late, but here's the size in cm:

1716349544103a.jpg

I also found in my CDs something from 1999? I think, came with a gaming magazine, back then. Contains the Homeworld Raider Retreat promotion missions (five). They were not included in the original Homeworld release. Only officially released with the remastered version in 2015. The demo installed fine, but I need to fix that 4:3 aspect ratio as it is getting the best of me :D

1716349544079a.jpg

Last edited:
System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
I took a break at mission 8 for awhile and finally got back to it to try skirmish mode today against the CPU after applying the 1.03 update.
  • It feels like ships forget commands and I have to keep trying to reissue orders especially when trying to capture ships.
  • Focus selection box doesn't seem to work right especially when trying to create groups.
  • I miss the ability to move while attacking. I feel like I have no control over capital ship engagement.
  • I'm dumbfounded why they disabled the ability to control game speed and tactical pause when only vs. the CPU.
  • I miss when harvesters gave us clues to their activities "nothing to do here" or "too many harvesters here"
  • Ship maneuvering feels dumb especially capital ships. It's space and 2024, where are the z axis movements to turn ships and use the main engine thruster?
  • Somehow my mothership would disobey my stop order and continue to move and attack ships!
  • And hyperspace. No hyperspace WTF.
The game play feels bad.

Replay with free camera mode is neat so I can rewatch my struggles.

I've had enough for tonight. :(

Last edited:
System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
I'm sure I'll pick it up someday, but I just want more Homeworld 1 style missions that are more like puzzles than the fast paced style of the second game, and everything I'm reading is the game is more like HW2 than 1.

I loved weird missions like the Deep Space array, and the radiation belts, and of course the Gardens of Kadesh...
The Gardens of Kadesh where my fav missions, I picked up so many multi-beam frigates. Those frigates are so powerful.

A bit late, but here's the size in cm:

View attachment 348365

I also found in my CDs something from 1999? I think, came with a gaming magazine, back then. Contains the Homeworld Raider Retreat promotion missions (five). They were not included in the original Homeworld release. Only officially released with the remastered version in 2015. The demo installed fine, but I need to fix that 4:3 aspect ratio as it is getting the best of me :D

View attachment 348366
I've heard that the raider mission didnt make into the game because it was considered to hard at the early stage of the game when you dont have alot of ships.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) PNY QUADRO RTX A2000
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG 1080p
Case SilverStone Raven RV03
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
The Gardens of Kadesh where my fav missions, I picked up so many multi-beam frigates. Those frigates are so powerful.

I've heard that the raider mission didnt make into the game because it was considered to hard at the early stage of the game when you dont have alot of ships.
The Gardens were also the most tragic one, but I don't want to spoil for people that haven't played it yet.

I've heard they decided 16 missions were enough for the game, but regardless, it is difficult, I got my butt kicked a few times now and I kinda quit for the moment. In the remastered version, the amount of ships you do with mission 4 transfers to this "extra" mission in the menu of the game and that makes it wayyy easier, but in the original promotional release you don't get a lot. You really don't and I am not sure how you are supposed to handle it.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I'm back to playing the OG Homeworld(s). Thanks for the inspiration. Homeworld 3... I'll check back in a year I think :)

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I'm back to playing the OG Homeworld(s). Thanks for the inspiration. Homeworld 3... I'll check back in a year I think :)

You're doing it wrong sir. You can't just wait on the patched and polished version of a game and usually save some money on a big sale too. ;)

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
I did the same, I just played og homeworld last night. I'll wait on this HW 3 next year.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
The Gardens were also the most tragic one, but I don't want to spoil for people that haven't played it yet.

I've heard they decided 16 missions were enough for the game, but regardless, it is difficult, I got my butt kicked a few times now and I kinda quit for the moment. In the remastered version, the amount of ships you do with mission 4 transfers to this "extra" mission in the menu of the game and that makes it wayyy easier, but in the original promotional release you don't get a lot. You really don't and I am not sure how you are supposed to handle it.
Homeworld 1 was hard, but not as hard as Homeworld 2. That game is just pure impossible, as I remember it. Also, the ability to stay behind after a mission to gather the remaining resources and build ships for the next mission in the remastered version helps a lot.

I'll probably go through Deserts of Kharak and the OG Homeworld before jumping on to HW 3 myself. I might also have a go at Homeworld 2 as well, although I'm not very keen on getting my butt kicked (again).

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Looks like yesterday the Dev's posted on steam they are looking to address the following issues.

My Summary from reading on Steam with some commentary.
  • Open maps & "claustrophobic" maps
    • people miss the large maps they are going to work on add large maps
  • Strategic pacing & directional damage
    • can't maneuver properly & can't employ flanking tactics
      • will increase health of units
    • confirmation HW3 has directional damage
    • [ I hope they will address being able it issue separate movement and attack orders otherwise it maybe difficult to realize directional and flanking tactics that they keep harping on about. ]
  • Improving unit behaviors
    • larger ships needing to engage from the same plane
      • [ It's a 3d space sim, plane shouldn't matter, proximity should matter ]
    • other various behaviors
      • [ I hope they fix broken resource collector behaviors ]
    • will fix units forgetting their orders
    • will improve suppression and torpedo frigates
  • Hyperspace Jumps & a new tech tree in Skirmish
    • will explore adding hyperspacing in skirmish
    • will rework skirmish tech tree
  • Tactical Pause & Time Dilation for solo Skirmish & War Games
    • expected in June 1.1 patch
  • Mod tools incoming
    • [ I wonder if Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, PDS, and Complex mods might be reborn ]
  • ( June 1.1 patch expectations )
    • 150+ issues to be addressed
    • performance, keyboard input, many other things...etc?

[ no word on subsystems and if that might make a comeback or not ]