• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sennheiser Announces New HD 620S Closed Headphones

GFreeman

News Editor
Staff member
The Sennheiser brand today unveiled the freshest member of the acclaimed HD 600 series, offering audiophiles a compelling take on closed headphones for private, reference listening without compromise. "The hi-fi community has clamored for a headphone with the best traits from our 600 series, yet isolates them from distractions at work, home, or in-between," said Audiophile Product Manager Jermo Koehnke. "Not only does the HD 620S deliver on that promise, its immersive imaging and brilliant impulse response make it an exceptional listening experience for every situation where a higher level of performance matters."

The family tree
At the heart of the HD 620S is a custom-tuned 42 mm dynamic transducer made at the brand's state-of-the-art Tullamore, Ireland transducer plant. It carries forward the smooth and effortless sound found in the open-back 600 family with a modern, airy signature that balances honesty with deep and articulate bass. Thanks to a high damping factor, the 150-ohm aluminium voice coil excels at speedy transients and well-defined instrument tails for punchy dynamics across the entire frequency spectrum—a boon for audiophiles and passionate gamers trying to consume as much detail as possible in a given moment.

Situated in an iconic chassis beloved by audiophiles, gamers and streamers alike for its long-term wearing comfort, the HD 620S elicits a sense of confidence while providing an instant sweet spot. Metal appointments not only feel great to the touch but serve an acoustic purpose as well-the steel plate closing off the back volume is an efficient isolator that manages the internal reflections that cloud the purity of an acoustic signal within. The angled baffle is remarkably open to encourage the free movement of air, modeling the behavior of open-back transducers while recreating the triangular imaging of a great loudspeaker setup in an expertly tuned room. This immersive presentation drops the listener into the center of the action with impressive cue location, whether it is a rare live concert recording or massive online multiplayer showdown.

Case closed
Open headphones are an audio purists' favorite, however closed headphones are invaluable for listening when isolation from the world around the listener is essential. Audiophiles are accustomed to trading the natural response and wide imaging of open headphones in order to keep distractions at bay, or from disturbing roommates, spouses and coworkers. No doubt, the HD 620S is a breakthrough in real-world performance, offering the dramatic soundstage they want absent the fatiguing, boxy sound associated with sealed cans.

You have new connections
The HD 620S was built to last with a metal-reinforced headband and earcup housings. An included storage pouch keeps dust at bay with ample space for the detachable cable too, for tidy keeping. The 1.8 meter / 6 foot cable terminates to a single-ended 3.5 mm stereo plug with an integrated locking screw for the included 6.3 mm adapter. Available this summer, an optional balanced 4.4 mm cable will let audiophiles tap into a growing range of hi-fi devices supporting the popular connector. The HD 620S shares the twist-and-lock single-sided cable design with other Sennheiser headphones, giving the user plenty of aftermarket options including different lengths and an in-line microphone.

Pricing and availability
The HD 620S is currently available for pre-order, and begins shipping on June 6th 2024, and will be available from select retailers and at sennheiser-hearing.com with an MSRP of $349.99 USD/ $499.95 CAD.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
…is this just a closed back version of 560S? There was also a couple of professional versions and spin-offs of that headphone. Seems like Senn are getting lotta mileage out of that driver.

Edit: Or maybe not, this mentions a 42mm driver. 560S used a 40mm one if I am not mistaken. So it might be a new one. Would be extremely surprised though since producing a new driver for a consumer 350 closed headphone is an odd move, I’d say. At this price range most would look to open-backs or, if isolation is needed, IEMs. And this is expressly not a Pro offering.

Price is a bit steep for me but I do like my 598cs in terms of comfort at work though it is showing some wear and without eq it's not great. So this could be worthwile on a good discount

ahriik

…is this just a closed back version of 560S? There was also a couple of professional versions and spin-offs of that headphone. Seems like Senn are getting lotta mileage out of that driver.

Edit: Or maybe not, this mentions a 42mm driver. 560S used a 40mm one if I am not mistaken. So it might be a new one. Would be extremely surprised though since producing a new driver for a consumer 350 closed headphone is an odd move, I’d say. At this price range most would look to open-backs or, if isolation is needed, IEMs. And this is expressly not a Pro offering.
560S appears to use a 38mm driver from what I was able to find. This press release says the 620S uses 42mm "angled" drivers, but if you go to Sennheiser's website, they state it has a 38mm diaphragm, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is in fact the same driver. The HD 400 Pro is identical to the 560S, it just comes with an additional coiled cable and a more traditional 3.5mm -> 6.3mm screw adapter.

Pricing does seem a bit strange for who Senn is targeting with this model. Also looks to be sturdier with the metal reinforced band. They should have given that to the 560S if you ask me - the pair I've had for the last couple years is holding up perfectly, but the plasticky build always kinda bugged me a little.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
@ahriik
It also doesn’t help that their whole stack is completely f***ed in terms of ease of understanding for consumers who aren’t in the know. The 560S if you go by the model number is a “less capable” can than the 579 or 599… but it’s not, it’s actually closer to 600 series, arguably better in some respects than the venerable 600/650. And the other 56X model is the 569… which is a closed back positioned far lower. And now we have what appears to be a closed back version of the 560S, but for some demented reason it’s a 600 series SKU with the number above the HD600… which is a more expensive can (well, by MSRP at least).
It’s an absolute mess, what the hell are you even doing Senn?

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) Razer Blackshark v2 Hyperspeed
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
From their website:
"Reference-grade 42 mm angled transducers with 38 mm diaphragm deliver speaker-like imaging with natural detail retrieval and expansive soundstage"

What company makes the sennheiser brand of headphones and what other brands does it make?

Sennheiser is a large company, with many production facilities that are mainly not in China (Germany, Romania, Albuquerque - USA, Tullamore - Ireland... They are since 2021 part of Sonova Holding AG - one of the providers of hearing solutions, and other brands of the company are mainly in medical field: Phonak, Unitron, Hansaton, Advanced Bionics, AudioNova and Sennheiser.

System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
What company makes the sennheiser brand of headphones and what other brands does it make?

Sennheiser is mostly the big fish driving things including production, at least in Europe. They own other brands like Anubis and Neumann.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
Sennheiser is a large company, with many production facilities that are mainly not in China (Germany, Romania, Albuquerque - USA, Tullamore - Ireland... They are since 2021 part of Sonova Holding AG - one of the providers of hearing solutions, and other brands of the company are mainly in medical field: Phonak, Unitron, Hansaton, Advanced Bionics, AudioNova and Sennheiser.

yep, my all time favorite headphones the HD58X were Made in Ireland. :)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
So are headphones like this in Sennheiser's professional or consumer branding?

I think it's consumer. even HD800 is considered consumer I believe and that is/was their flagship for a long time. Sennheiser also makes a 50 grand headphone, forget name of it, but that headphone is considered GOAT

if I were a really rich person like a celeb or something, I'd probably own that 50 grand Senn setup, lol