Thursday, February 21st 2008
In a desperate bid to get children off their rear ends and out into the real world, New Mexico is currently trying to get a bill passed which will effectively tax video games and televisions. At this point, the tax would be almost negligible (1% extra on all appropriate paraphernalia). Dubbed the "Television Tax", the funds gathered from it would actually be put towards noble causes. Funds will be used to...
- Develop curriculum-based programs for teachers to use on public lands and at other outdoor learning sites for outdoor education initiatives.
- Develop hands-on teaching materials for children for use in outdoor education programs.
- Provide transportation for children to experience outdoor education programs.
- Provide substantial and frequent outdoor experiences for children.
- Increase outdoor nature-oriented physical activity programs for school-age children.