• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Who'll be the better president?

Who'll be the better president?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 1,290 57.9%
  • John McCain

Votes: 333 14.9%
  • But I want George W. Bush

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • Don't care

Votes: 429 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CStylen

System Name The Money Pit
Processor i7 980X @ 4.4
Motherboard EVGA E760 w/B3 stepping
Cooling Corsair H5O, 3x Gentle Typhoons
Memory 12GB Ballistix Tactical
Video Card(s) Galaxy GTX 480 / Zotac GTX 480 SLI
Storage 3x X-25M 80GB G2 RAID 0; 1x M4
Display(s) Acer Al2423W
Case Lian Li V2010 w/window side panel
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Claro+
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Windows 8 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 10144 9/21/11 AS SSD X-25M Array: 978; M4: 568 9/12/12 (sata2) Cloud Gate 26968 2/21/13
Private hands always seek profits. You can never expect patient-centric benefits from there. The Government has to set and enforce guidelines for pricing drugs and essential medical services. Paying $1000 for a broken pinky, seriously...

You don't like making profits? In the US, we believe in capitalism and the free market system which generates competition for ultmately better products and services for consumers. The theory of supply and demand dictates pricing and NOT the government. It's true our healthcare needs reform, but not by governement intervention or more regulations.

Our constitution says "We the people" not Us the Government

Last edited:

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
You don't like making profits? In the US, we believe in capitalism and the free market system which generates competition for ultmately better products and services for consumers. The theory of supply and demand dictates pricing and NOT the government. It's true our healthcare needs reform, but not by governement intervention or more regulations.

India is capitalist too, just that we don't believe paying ridiculous amounts of money on health-care. The least your government can do is make sure everyone gets health-care, an essential service. What's life without affordable living, food and health. You don't enjoy paying $1000 for a broken finger, do you?...something we charge $15 for.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
That's why I'd like better regulation. I can honestly say that I just don't trust my government running health-care, though it most likely wouldn't be as bad as it is now. I'm with the understanding that the big reason most Americans don't want public health care is because they are afraid of things like waiting and/or not getting thier needed medications.

"Most Americans don't want public health care?" Eh? Most polls I see say that a majority of Americans want government run health care [source] (just one example -- search for "62% of American").

And what's really wrong with trusting the government to run healthcare? Don't you trust your government?

You already trust them to run your national defense (army, navy), local defense (police, highway patrol), court systems, prison systems, trade with other countries, space research -- the government does a reasonably good job at these, so what's one more system?

Or would you rather police your own city by yourself? :p

CStylen

Processor i7 980X @ 4.4
Display(s) Acer Al2423W
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 10144 9/21/11 AS SSD X-25M Array: 978; M4: 568 9/12/12 (sata2) Cloud Gate 26968 2/21/13
India is capitalist too, just that we don't believe paying ridiculous amounts of money on health-care. The least your government can do is make sure everyone gets health-care. You don't enjoy paying $1000 for a broken finger, do you?...something we charge $15 for.

If it means keeping our freedoms with as little government intervention as possible then Ill pay it.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
If it means keeping our freedoms with as little government intervention as possible then Ill pay it.

But that's the problem. Our governent is obviously working for the system and not for us. While this doesn't constitute the government taking over healthcare, it does show how both are not working.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro

Our constitution says "We the people" not Us the Government

The US Declaration of Independence (another of your famous documents) also says "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness," friend -- how can you have life and the pursuit of happiness if you're dying of some disease, easily treatable, that you can't get the money for? To me, a government providing it's citizens an easy way to stay alive is one of the most basic things a government should give.

CStylen

Processor i7 980X @ 4.4
Display(s) Acer Al2423W
"Most Americans don't want public health care?" Eh? Most polls I see say that a majority of Americans want government run health care [source] (just one example -- search for "62% of American").

And what's really wrong with trusting the government to run healthcare? Don't you trust your government?

You already trust them to run your national defense (army, navy), local defense (police, highway patrol), court systems, prison systems, trade with other countries, space research -- the government does a reasonably good job at these, so what's one more system?

That is what the government is for. Defending our nation and building our roads, then just get out of our way.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

Most Americans goes with what "sounds good"

No, I don't trust my government since I feel that they are looking out for theirs and corporations best interests and not ours.

Have you seen what the government spends our money on and the cost?!

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
That is what the government is for. Defending our nation and building our roads, then just get out of our way.

Most Americans goes with what "sounds good"

No, I don't trust my government since I feel that they are looking out for their best interest and not ours.

Have you seen what the government spends our money on and the cost?!

Ah, but you both miss my point -- since you're already trusting your government to do these things (I assume you're not paving your own roads and walking around your town holding a rifle in some sort of local militia), why not trust them to do one more?

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro

What's a little intervention (on a systemic level) in return for saving 90%. Your government doesn't function directly in your interests. It functions in the interests of capitalism (with the intention of indirectly working in your interests) and corporations who rank their profits above your interests. In essence, you live at the mercy of corporations and how they run the show. Is this what freedom means?

In a democracy where people make and break governments, the people deserve more. Your government should be indebted to you. It should function directly and unconditionally in your interests.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Ah, but you both miss my point -- since you're already trusting your government to do these things (I assume you're not paving your own roads and walking around your town holding a rifle in some sort of local militia), why not trust them to do one more?

Nope, I want my governent to be as small as possible while doing as much as possible without infringing on my privacy. Can't get any more simple than that.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I'd say politicians, for all their shortcomings, could do a damn sight better than the way it's run by greedy businessmen now.

Oh really? Amtrak anyone? How long has the government running at a loss? There was a budgetary surplus for a very short time in the 90s, but it's been quite a long time since the government hasn't been hemorrhaging money.

The people (Republicans and Democrats) who brought you Amtrak and an 11 trillion dollar national debt will now be bringing you:

• Nationalized Banks
  • Nationalized Insurance
  • Nationalized Airlines
  • Nationalized Oil
  • Nationalized Auto Industry
  • Nationalized Loans

Pardon my ignorance, but will someone please direct me to the clause in the constitution that reads, "All powers not specifically delegated to the Federal Government will be delegated to the Federal Reserve in loose conjunction with the Treasury Department." Really if we want to give communism a try let us at least be open about it. Amend the constitution to allow these things and officially declare the free market dead in the United States. If that is what the people want then so be it.

On economic issues there is not a dollar worth of difference between Obama and McCain. Them and congress both shout loudly that they love the free market while giving a reach around to special interests and corporations.

Vote third party. Oust your incumbent senators and representatives.

CStylen

Processor i7 980X @ 4.4
Display(s) Acer Al2423W
Am I the only US citizen in here? Obviously people which live outside the US do not agree with our principles, or else they would be living here.

Can we get back to the topic?

System Name Evil Dragon
Processor AMD FX-8320 Vishera @4.7ghz
Motherboard Asus 970 pro gaming Aura
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2(fully Lapped). 4 40mm NB/VRM fans. 6 Thermaltake Riing 12 Series fans
Memory 2X8gig GeIL EVO Veloce Series DDR3 1600 @9.9.9.26
Video Card(s) Powercolor Red Devil RX 480 (1400/2100)
Storage PNY XLR8 480gig SSD. Patriot Pyro SE 60gig SSD.
Display(s) ASUS VP228H LED
Case Thermaltake Core V31
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1150 W/Creative Sound Blaster Cinema 2
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ 110
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
Software Win 10 Pro
The Prophecy has been fulfilled!!

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
We were talking about Government intervention (read: price regulation) on a systemic level, not a personal level. Your privacy is intact.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
We were talking about Government intervention (read: price regulation) on a systemic level, not a personal level. Your privacy is intact.

Ok ok, right! There does need to be Government intervention, not a Government takeover. Prices need to be set that are fair for the patients and institutions. Right now it's rather one-sided. You should see what a 2 day stay in a hospital costs! I could of flown anywhere in the world and stayed in a five star resort for a week!

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
Oh really? Amtrak anyone? How long has the government running at a loss? There was a budgetary surplus for a very short time in the 90s, but it's been quite a long time since the government hasn't been hemorrhaging money.

The people (Republicans and Democrats) who brought you Amtrak and an 11 trillion dollar national debt will now be bringing you:

• Nationalized Banks
  • Nationalized Insurance
  • Nationalized Airlines
  • Nationalized Oil
  • Nationalized Loans

Pardon my ignorance, but will someone please direct me to the clause in the constitution that reads, "All powers not specifically delegated to the Federal Government will be delegated to the Federal Reserve in loose conjunction with the Treasury Department." Really if we want to give communism a try let us at least be open about it. Amend the constitution to allow these things and officially declare the free market dead in the United States. If that is what the people want then so be it.

On economic issues there is not a dollar worth of difference between Obama and McCain. Them and congress both shout loudly that they love the free market while giving a reach around to special interests and corporations.

Whoa whoa whoa -- hold on there. Nobody said anything about communism. Nobody said anything about nationalizing those business.

Just healthcare. Or, for goodness sakes, at least follow Japan's example with what they've done with their system.

And, honestly, calling to oust everyone is unrealistic. Try and work within the system, you'll get stuff done quicker. ;)

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Ok ok, right! There does need to be Government intervention, not a Government takeover. Prices need to be set that are fair for the patients and institutions. Right now it's rather one-sided. You should see what a 2 day stay in a hospital costs! I could of flown anywhere in the world and stayed in a five star resort for a week!

That's what I was getting to. Pricing should be fair (for both the provider and patient) and the regulations should take into account, the buying power of the average American of today. A world-class ICCU sets you back by ~$150 /day, here.

Mind telling me how good that healthcare is? People have to wait months for surgeries, x-rays, CAT scans, or even a check-up. How is this beneficial to an individuals health?

Without insurance, you could walk into a hospital bleeding to death and you would need to hand them a check first - I should say fortunately, but unfortunately the US treats ANYBODY regardless.

The usual bullshit argument - anyone would get treated the same in Europe in an emergency situation.

Here there are no queues because only the wealthy can afford scheduled procedures that many others need but forgo. I've heard reports that even with insurance people are having trouble finding primary-care physicians in the US because it isn't profitable anymore - they're all becoming specialists and making the status of preventative healthcare even worse.

Perhaps we should invest a few hundred billion dollars in medicine/public hospitals/training doctors instead of bailing out wall-street and increasing the already-bloated military like McCain and Obama want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

CStylen

Processor i7 980X @ 4.4
Display(s) Acer Al2423W
The usual bullshit argument - anyone would get treated the same in Europe in an emergency situation.

Here there are no

How is that not a valid argument? Yes your right they get treated the same as long as you pay first and if you need to make an appointment you better have a couple of months to spare.

You argue that European healthcare must be bad because people have to wait. Assuming people don't have to wait here (I'll let you do the legwork and find statistics if you want to stand by your argument) that is because everyone isn't covered. If everyone were covered here, there would be longer queues. Not giving people healthcare isn't the solution to queues - better health policies (more hospitals, doctors, education, etc.) are.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
I waited over four hours to see a doctor in the ER when I couldn't walk because my kidney ruptured from the pressure and put Urine in my fissure(chest cavity). I would assume Europeans get seen faster.

• Nationalized Banks
  • Nationalized Insurance
  • Nationalized Airlines
  • Nationalized Oil
  • Nationalized Loans

All of those things certainly should be nationalized.

You're correct that our representatives, but more importantly, the workings of our 'democracy' are why nationalization might not be so beneficial. You can't expect a bunch of capitalists with ties to big business to run public entities effectively, especially those that preach market fundamentalism. They will intentionally bankrupt public utilities so that they can say 'OMG COMMUNISM FAILS' and then sell them off to a private entity for a huge profit.

Odin Eidolon

Processor e6300 @ 3000, stock Volts
Motherboard msi p35 neo2-FIR
Cooling HDT-1283
Memory 2gb tracers 1066 micron d9GMH, cooled by a modded CoolIt Memory Cooler
Video Card(s) HIS 4850 ICEQ4
Storage WD Caviar 16 320gb WDAAKS + 640gb WDAAKS
Case CM RC-690 sligthly modded
Power Supply Bequiet darkpower PRO 850W (say overkill? :D)
Software kubuntu 8.10 + Windows XP, soon Windows 7 too
Am I the only US citizen in here? Obviously people which live outside the US do not agree with our principles, or else they would be living here.

OMG CS, really "obviously people which live outside the US do not agree with our principles, or else they would be living here."??? Well, that sounds quite... better not to tell
You mean:
We are americans, we are better, we are different, we have our principles which CANT BE WRONG? Seriously, thats completely wrong. Your last posts...

From post #196:
European healthcare is VERY good compared to the one you have. The rich can have even better by paying, while the poor can have a good one. In USA, the rich have a good healthcare, the poors dont. 40% of the people in America cannot afford the healthcare we have FOR FREE. You are about 350millions, right? it makes 140 million people that is in serious danger of life, since they cant be cured.

Post #201:
first, capitalism has failed. you can see this. maybe you dont want to admit it, but it is true. i'm not telling you thats the worst system ever, i dont know. simply, it doesnt work.
The government SHOULD help you. the government should BE the people in your constitution, if something has to be reformed is the connection between the politics and the people, that has been lost since corruption grows limitless.

post #204:
You talk of freedom. What is freedom to you? the possibility to do whatever you want? Emmanuel Kant says: a man can be free only if he succeeds in defeating all his selfish insticts.
I dont think you dont intend freedom to be "doing whatever i want". Tell us whats freedom for you, than you'll be able to use the word FRREDOM without restrains. This is a misused word often.

post #207:
the international situation changes every second. There MUST be a government, if there wasnt it would be anarchy, since it has an important stabilizing social role. The system would fall immediately without it.

post #220:
you are simply wrong. your statements are simply untrue. Polls and surveys tell you that you healthcare system is one of the worst of the world. Even Cuba's system, as shown in MMoore's last film (dont remember the title) is better. and IM NOT a Michael Moore fan. The fact that maybe you have the money and that you can afford healthcare doesnt mean that your healthcare works. It works for you, it doesnt work at all for 40% of the Americans.

CStylen

Processor i7 980X @ 4.4
Display(s) Acer Al2423W
You argue that European healthcare must be bad because people have to wait. Assuming people don't have to wait here (I'll let you do the legwork and find statistics if you want to stand by your argument) that is because everyone isn't covered. If everyone were covered here, there would be longer queues. Not giving people healthcare isn't the solution to queues - better health policies (more hospitals, doctors, education, etc.) are.

Ok so we agree when we have a nationalized healthcare where everyone is covered, there will be longer quees. Which is not good either correct? I don't want the government forcing me to have healthcare, where if I don't "enroll" I get punished. Think about the poor people forced to pay extra for our new nationalized healthcare who now can't afford to eat. Plus now they have to wait in line for a 5 min doctor appt. behind the rest of the country.

More hospitals, doctors and education is useless with insurance companies and drug companies being the main cause for inflated healthcare costs in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.