• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD4850 Crossfire problems

System Name Computer MkVIII
Processor 2500K @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth P67
Cooling CPU: 212+ EVO GPU: Stock
Memory 16gb G.Skill Ares @2133mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 SC
Storage 1x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) 24" Asus VE248
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX-650
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Edit: Total Revamp

Okay, fairly wide array of problems, i'll put them into and nice little chart in the order they started happening and how i fixed some

- Obtained another HD4850 Wooo!
- Chucked him in, detects it perfectly, but leaves two things in the hardware sections unknown (also chucked in another 2gb of ram)
- Re-install Catalyst 8.9 to see if it removes them, nothing
- After some fun playing games with Crossfire i decide to chuck on the new cooler, as the new HD4850 IceQ is actually louder and has an even more annoying noise than the first, seriously bad design they have here for me to get two duds :p (from different stores too lol)
- Accelero successfully attached to one of the cards, this happens to be the new one, the one i put in the second slot
- I then decide to chuck that into the first slot by itself to make sure all the temperatures are good
- Bluescreen before windows can finish loading, literally scared to death at the moment
- Safemode, i remove the drivers and then re-install them in normal windows after using Driver Sweeper
- No more Bluescreens, but now Catalyst Control Center will not start up no matter what
- Both cards now have the Accelero and are connected with the Crossfire bridge (bit a a squeeze past the heatpipe but it works)
- Without CCC i wonder how i'll enable Crossfire, then i remember ATI Tray Tools
- After about a day of playing games decide not to start anymore, or error as soon as i'm in
- Removing the new pair of ram solves this instantly, before removing them i ran memtest and had over 300+ errors, chalking this up to 32bit, but i'll find out today as it's format day
- Still no CCC, like i mentioned before i revised this, people only seemed to solve it with a format

Phew, fun stuff, basically i wish to know
- Is there a way to install the cards without the Unknown devices being left behind?
- Anyone else had this problem with CCC?
- Is there a nice guide on how to go about getting Crossfire installed perfectly, that'd be nice

Well, thanks for stopping by and having a look, any comments/suggestions are much appreciated :D

Last edited:
System Name Computer MkVIII
Processor 2500K @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth P67
Cooling CPU: 212+ EVO GPU: Stock
Memory 16gb G.Skill Ares @2133mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 SC
Storage 1x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) 24" Asus VE248
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX-650
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Update time:

All problems solved, a fresh install really does wonders for a system, the unknown devices were just the audio things on the 4850's, CCC like stated just buggered up and needed me to format (i'm sure there's a fix out there somewhere, maybe even just using a different version, but formatting isn't that hard when you have two hard drives) In the end a guide wasn't really necessary, i just used my tried and true method of installing most of the stuff with one card then smacking the other one in, BAM, all good

On a side note i'll be donating my extra 2gb of ram to a friend, in the end i have no real need for it, and i just can't stand 64bit, every app using loads more ram than on 32bit (easily double in most cases)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Phew, fun stuff, basically i wish to know
- Is there a way to install the cards without the Unknown devices being left behind?
- Anyone else had this problem with CCC?
- Is there a nice guide on how to go about getting Crossfire installed perfectly, that'd be nice

Well, thanks for stopping by and having a look, any comments/suggestions are much appreciated :D

The Unknown devices are the HDMI sound drivers. If you are using a sound card or onboard audio, just disable them.

I do this every time and it works: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=52502

:toast:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
On a side note i'll be donating my extra 2gb of ram to a friend, in the end i have no real need for it, and i just can't stand 64bit, every app using loads more ram than on 32bit (easily double in most cases)

Yes...well, that's because a 64-bit OS knows how to use more memory. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Does it really do you any good sitting idle?