• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4870 BIOS FAN Changes

falco

Hi,

Using RBE I'm trying to only change fan settings to start a bit early, from 58 to 48 or below, as in idle this card stays near 80c and my PC does not like so much!:shadedshu
After saving the modified BIOS a dos compare give me the followings differences and I would like to be sure before flashing the card, especially see offset 7...

Compare error at OFFSET 7
file1 = 0
file2 = 6
Compare error at OFFSET E06F
file1 = 23
file2 = 37
Compare error at OFFSET E075
file1 = 58
file2 = 45
Compare error at OFFSET E0B2
file1 = 94
file2 = 93
Compare error at OFFSET E0B4
file1 = 121
file2 = 122
Compare error at OFFSET E0B5
file1 = 135
file2 = 128

Last edited:

falco

Hi,

Using RBE I'm trying to only change fan settings to start a bit early, from 58 to 48 or below, as in idle this card stays near 80c and my PC does not like so much!:shadedshu
After saving the modified BIOS a dos compare give me the followings differences and I would like to be sure before flashing the card, especially see offset 7...

A part from the above, I've tried to export and load the actual BIOS in RBE but I can't figure how my card is working right now. According to the fan table (which is the same as many default settings I've seen) when temp is 70c fan should spin at 30% (more or less without taking care of hysteresis etc).

My card run much slower that this, despite the BIOS setting. :confused:

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
All you have to do is change Tmax (from 101) to 91 and Tmin (from 58) to 48.

That will change your temps from about 80 degrees idle to 55-60 degrees idle. The fan is also quiet until you start gamng.

I've been using it for months no problems.

Not sure about the rest...but you can read your current bios using GPUz. (save with GPUz Open in RBE).

REVHEAD

Processor Intel i7 920 d0 stepping @ 200x19 qpi
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
Cooling Noctua
Memory Patriot 1333 MHZ ram 6gb Triple Channel @ 1600 MHZ
Video Card(s) ATI 5870 x2 in Crossfire
Storage 4X WD 80gb Veloci Raptors in Raid 0 & Seagate 500gb 7200.11 x 2 in raid 0
Display(s) Dell 3007 WFP
Case Lian Li A-10b
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply CoolerMaster realpower pro 1000w
Software Windows 7 X64 ultimate RC
If you install Catylist 8.10 that has a fan speed controller built in, way easier and safer than hosing a bios flash, and frying yah card?

falco

you are right, setting the BIOS Fan with a TMin of 40 (that's what I'm trying to use) keeps the card cooler, about 56c idle with fan at 26%

I know Catalyst allow you to set manually the fan speed but this will not work until you log on onto Windows (and you must also make the same change to all accounts!).

Changing the BIOS has the advantage to work in any condition and from any boot (DOS, Windows, Linux and also during BIOS) without the need to start any additional application.

On my PC, which is probably not well cooled (though I've a Lian Li V1000+ case :respect:), the card raise easily up to 80c on idle and for some unknown reasons (might be the card itself or maybe others motherboard chips like the north bridge) it tends to freeze in about 30/40 minutes! :confused:

Note the P5PE premium is surely an overclocker champion but is also quite sensible and may become unstable, especially with high clocked RAM of 1600+ and needs to be well cooled all the time. Hence I suspect that the card is overheating the system when staying at 80c all the time. I think that ATI wrongly chose for high working temperature in favor of a low noise operation as this may affect other part of the system :banghead:.

So from my side I can only recommend to change the fan setting from the BIOS and spank ATI :slap:

If you install Catylist 8.10 that has a fan speed controller built in, way easier and safer than hosing a bios flash, and frying yah card?

System Name Monster
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI Z77-GD65
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory G.Skill Ares LP 8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 7950 O/C
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, OCZ Vertex 2E 90GB etc.
Display(s) Samsung T220
Case Fractal Design R3
Audio Device(s) Realtek 898 AC
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse Logitech G9x
Keyboard QPAD MK-50
Software Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10 Professional
Here's how I "boosted" the auto-fan settings with RBE:

Before:

After:

I replaced the stock cooling goo with AS5. Oh, it's not the stock cooler on my PowerColor card, it's got the PCS+ cooler (google for info) but generally it should be enough to nudge the table with slightly higher fan speeds at slightly lower temps to get a cooler card.

Note: when I flashed my 4870 using ATIWinFlash my heart sank real fast since it seemed the PC had frozen. I waited and I waited, and my heart sank deeper and deeper and I began planning how to restore the card using a second card to fix a bootable flash stick with atiflash, original ati-bios and a batch script. I went to the bathroom and when I came back I saw the message: "Completed reflash successfully" (or something similar). The relief was indescribable. :respect: Just wanted to tell this story as a hint to others reflashing their 4870'ies for the first time. ;)