• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Catalyst Hotfix 71310 Restores Visual Elements at Expense of Performance

System Name AMD | Intel | Chumpy
Processor PHII 955BE Stock | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 | EX58 - UD5 | E760 4 Way SLI
Cooling Zalman 9700 CNPS | Water Loop | Water Loop
Memory 4 GB XMS3 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x 9600GSO, GTX260 216 | 2 x GTX 260 216 | GTX 260 216, 9600 GSO
Storage WD 640GB | Couple o' 5400RPMs | WD 1TB
Case Cosmos S | Lancool K62 Dragonlord | Lian Li PC-P80 Armor
Power Supply TX850 | HX 1000 | HX 1000
Software Win 7 Home Premium | Win 7 Ultimate | Vista Home Premium
Darkmatter, don't worry yourself too much. He did the same thing over 'Mojave' a little bit back.

Look East, benchmarks are set up like a movie. They are made to make a standard that should apply across all cards and runthroughs. Screenshots taken in the same place should have the same FPS within 1 or 2 frames because the same elements are being rendered every time. It's set to be exact same camera movements. With yours you proved that at different locations, FPS varies. They are showing FPS varied at the same location. This shows that there is a difference in the way that location was rendered. They have provided screenshots that attempt to explain the variances, specifically in this case these rocks. In doing so they show missing textures of said rocks. Your screenshots don't refute the evidence because its a completely different location in your examples.

Whether or not it was a mistake or underhanded tactics, I don't know. However I do know your arguement is slightly flawed.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Aye,

I was going to say the other day, that one could easily say this is the same as Nvidia degrading image quality to achieve greater performance.

Fortunatley for me, these drivers actually helped my performance, but either way, I don't think we should be complaining about ATi here. We should be complaining to Ubisoft for releasing a game with such a weak LOD scaling system, and a program that has far too few sprites and objects altogether.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
Darkmatter, don't worry yourself too much. He did the same thing over 'Mojave' a little bit back.

Look East, benchmarks are set up like a movie. They are made to make a standard that should apply across all cards and runthroughs. Screenshots taken in the same place should have the same FPS within 1 or 2 frames because the same elements are being rendered every time. It's set to be exact same camera movements. With yours you proved that at different locations, FPS varies. They are showing FPS varied at the same location. This shows that there is a difference in the way that location was rendered. They have provided screenshots that attempt to explain the variances, specifically in this case these rocks. In doing so they show missing textures of said rocks. Your screenshots don't refute the evidence because its a completely different location in your examples.

Whether or not it was a mistake or underhanded tactics, I don't know. However I do know your arguement is slightly flawed.
Nah there is nothing wrong with my opinion on the situation "new poster" :laugh:. It's obvious you didn't read my explanation as to why I posted those pics. Read a few posts back and it becomes clear to you that your assumption and my reason don't match. But thanks for the feedback none the less ;)

DarkMatter

Processor Intel C2Q Q6600 @ Stock (for now)
Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Cooling Proc: Scythe Mine, Graphics: Zalman VF900 Cu
Memory 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Storage 74 GB WD Raptor 10000rpm, 2x250 GB Seagate Raid 0
Display(s) HP p1130, 21" Trinitron
Case Antec p180
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi PLatinum
Power Supply 700W FSP Group 85% Efficiency
Software Windows XP

Yeah, I know I have to care less about him. Indeed with this thread and some others in the past I have enough evidence he doesn't read what it is said in the links. I even have my doubts he even follows the links or that he even reads other's post for the matter.

He just lives in that little place inside his mind, where he is happy, unconnected from the harmful reality that is the outside. Sad...

Nah there is nothing wrong with my opinion on the situation "new poster" :laugh:. It's obvious you didn't read my explanation as to why I posted those pics. Read a few posts back and it becomes clear to you that your assumption and my reason don't match. But thanks for the feedback none the less ;)

Didn't realize it was a crime to be new. Also, it has 0 effect on my reading comprehension. I've read the thread thoroughly and have come to realize you aren't. Here's the kicker, all you proved in your screenshots is that you mimiced the problem with the drivers. In your screenshots, you changed what was being rendered by moving the camera thus changing the rendered data. In the review's screenshots, the driver changed what was rendered at the same location, thereby doing the same thing. In effect you've been arguing this point against yourself.
If you can change the fps in a give screen rendered it will change the outcome of frame rates obtained
In your case you were the change, in the reviews case, it was the drivers. The fact that people see this as underhanded is their opinion. The fact you see it as a mistake is your opinion. I've made no assumptions, I'm providing exactly whats been pointed out already to this point.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Yeah, I know I have to care less about him. Indeed with this thread and some others in the past I have enough evidence he doesn't read what it is said in the links. I even have my doubts he even follows the links or that he even reads other's post for the matter.

He just lives in that little place inside his mind, where he is happy, unconnected from the harmful reality that is the outside. Sad...

And I see that when we disagree you can only result to throwing insults as a base for your claims. Furthermore, it's you who (out of the blue) responses to my posts in such fashion. In the end, that's what's sad ;). Odd how with some people can agree to disagree with a subject while you on the other hand make these odd posts that are off topic to the thread. I guess it's your way of feeling good about issue at hand.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Didn't realize it was a crime to be new. Also, it has 0 effect on my reading comprehension. I've read the thread thoroughly and have come to realize you aren't. Here's the kicker, all you proved in your screenshots is that you mimiced the problem with the drivers. In your screenshots, you changed what was being rendered by moving the camera thus changing the rendered data. In the review's screenshots, the driver changed what was rendered at the same location, thereby doing the same thing. In effect you've been arguing this point against yourself.

In your case you were the change, in the reviews case, it was the drivers. The fact that people see this as underhanded is their opinion. The fact you see it as a mistake is your opinion. I've made no assumptions, I'm providing exactly whats been pointed out already to this point.

Actually you do have a problem with comprehending my posts. I've already explained the reason for the pics. All you have to do is read it not make up your own explanation. But thanks anyway :)

Actually you do have a problem with comprehending my posts. I've already explained the reason for the pics. All you have to do is read it not make up your own explanation. But thanks anyway :)

I understand your reasoning behind your posts. You're trying to point out that we don't know anything about the screenshots other than what they say. You tried showing everyone this using your screenshots.

We know the reviews screenshots are from the benchmark. We can clearly see the missing textures. And judging how the match up when you overlay them, aside from missing textures, its safe to assume they are in the same spot. Your screenshots however are clearly none of the above. Yours has too many variables tossed in which isn't the point the review was making. Of course frames fluctuate in game. They shouldn't in benchmarks at the same point along the way. If you can't trust Expreview, thats your issue. However, I can't imagine why they'd specifcally try to mudsling ATI, they're showing what they've found.

I've been saying this all along, however you've been refusing to realize it.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
I understand your reasoning behind your posts. You're trying to point out that we don't know anything about the screenshots other than what they say. You tried showing everyone this using your screenshots.

We know the reviews screenshots are from the benchmark. We can clearly see the missing textures. And judging how the match up when you overlay them, aside from missing textures, its safe to assume they are in the same spot. Your screenshots however are clearly none of the above. Yours has too many variables tossed in which isn't the point the review was making. Of course frames fluctuate in game. They shouldn't in benchmarks at the same point along the way. If you can't trust Expreview, thats your issue. However, I can't imagine why they'd specifcally try to mudsling ATI, they're showing what they've found.

I've been saying this all along, however you've been refusing to realize it.
There is a contradiction found within your own post. It's become obvious at this point that your posts are more geared toward arguing more so then stating an opinion. You insist on adding way more then what I said or implied to say.

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
And I see that when we disagree you can only result to throwing insults as a base for your claims. Furthermore, it's you who (out of the blue) responses to my posts in such fashion. In the end, that's what's sad ;). Odd how with some people can agree to disagree with a subject while you on the other hand make these odd posts that are off topic to the thread. I guess it's your way of feeling good about issue at hand.

Buffff!

It's not a matter of agreeing or not. The drivers change the performance obtained out of the benchmark. Not screenshots. They state it very clearly in the links provided by Btrunr.

We used the same PC as we used in our first test - nothing has changed except for the new hotfix driver replacing the old one. We continue to test using FarCry2’s built-in short Ranch demo run at overall ultra settings, varying the AA settings in-game and forcing 16xAF in the control panel. We can see the performance of the new hotfix drivers sits slightly ahead of the regular Cat 8-10 but behind the first hotfix drivers. Here are our results:

To refute those, you took 2 screenshots at different angles and said you reproduced what they did. And no, you didn't. Period.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Fu** me this is more exciting than the game.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Buffff!

It's not a matter of agreeing or not. The drivers change the performance obtained out of the benchmark. Not screenshots. They state it very clearly in the links provided by Btrunr.

To refute those, you took 2 screenshots at different angles and said you reproduced what they did. And no, you didn't. Period.
And what I've already told you in previous posts still stands. Even with the second review posted the averages are no were as high as found in the OP. You can get mad, upset or whatever. I have no reason to agree with you. That's something you have to deal with. And as for the screenshot I've already explained that to you numerous times. LOL

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
And what I've already told you in previous posts still stands. Even with the second review posted the averages are no were as high as found in the OP. You can get mad, upset or whatever. I have no reason to agree with you. That's something you have to deal with.

Different testbeds, different results. That's what any normal person knows. What you think is that contrary to what they say, the fps figures they offer are on those punctual frames instead of average of the benchmark and want to make a point out of that. That's lame.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Different testbeds, different results. That's what any normal person knows. What you think is that contrary to what they say, the fps figures they offer are on those punctual frames instead of average of the benchmark and want to make a point out of that. That's lame.

And your the one arguing about it. Irony...

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.825ghz 1.36v
Motherboard ASRock x370 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-C14s
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 ti
Display(s) LG 4k IPS
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 + more fans
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA P2 750w
Mouse G900
Keyboard G810
Software Windows 10 Pro
Anyone have any windows crossfire BSOD troubles?

There is a contradiction found within your own post. It's become obvious at this point that your posts are more geared toward arguing more so then stating an opinion. You insist on adding way more then what I said or implied to say.

I'm sorry East, but there isn't a contradiction there nor am I adding.

"You're trying to point out that we don't know anything about the screenshots other than what they say. You tried showing everyone this using your screenshots." is taken directly from post #22.

"Your screenshots however are clearly none of the above." Now this one hinges on the fact you've been arguing we don't know what they're settings for each screenshot is. Its why I mentioned the trust issue with Expreview which is my opinion whether its right or wrong. But you show an obviously different location and attempt to use that as your basis for the arguement. The screenshots in the first post are of the same spot. Its comparing Apples to Jupiter. I personally trust Expreview to be at least professional and consistent if they're going to start a story like this.

In the end I regret posting attempting to clear this up as it was obviously bothering some of the other members. In the end it would only seem, judging by your short and unhelpful posts, I've only gone so far as to feed the troll.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
And what I've already told you in previous posts still stands. Even with the second review posted the averages are no were as high as found in the OP. You can get mad, upset or whatever. I have no reason to agree with you. That's something you have to deal with. And as for the screenshot I've already explained that to you numerous times. LOL

You are missing the point East. I'm sorry man, your opinion of this is slightly off. The important thing is not the screen shots. They do not matter at all. They are just there as an example of what was reported as missing in the game. They are not used as fps evidence at all. The FPS they quoted are what the in-game benchmark gave to them. The in-game benchmark dropped by 5fps avg with the new hotfix. They cannot manipulate the in-game benchmark, unless they purposely use different graphical settings for each bench. They cannot alter the in-game benchmark to change the camera angles.

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
And your the one arguing about it. Irony...

Explain that. I want to have a good laugh.

Honestly, I am arguing about what? What's your point? YOU are stating 2 respectable review sites are lying, based on something you fabricated. And of course I argue with that.

Here I finally found it:

http://en.expreview.com/2008/10/29/catalyst-810-hotfix-kidnapped-stones-in-far-cry-2.html

This is the article to which the other one is the follow up. In the other one in chinese things are not clear. But in this...

- They clearly state it's average frames.

- The screenshot is at the same angle, just in case you want to follow the same route once again.

Sorry kid, but you are just wrong, you have been since you started this mess. Period.

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
You are missing the point East. I'm sorry man, your opinion of this is slightly off. The important thing is not the screen shots. They do not matter at all. They are just there as an example of what was reported as missing in the game. They are not used as fps evidence at all. The FPS they quoted are what the in-game benchmark gave to them. The in-game benchmark dropped by 5fps avg with the new hotfix. They cannot manipulate the in-game benchmark, unless they purposely use different graphical settings for each bench. They cannot alter the in-game benchmark to change the camera angles.

If you convince him (actually is not a matter of convincing, it's understanding facts) with that after all the posts we made saying the exact same thing, I will not know what to think. Seriously. :ohwell:

If you convince him (actually is not a matter of convincing, it's understanding facts) with that after all the posts we made saying the exact same thing, I will not know what to think. Seriously. :ohwell:

If he convinces him, I'll herald him as a god. And also be very clingy towards him.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
If he convinces him, I'll herald him as a god. And also be very clingy towards him.

There'd be only one thing left to do then...

Dim the lights, put some "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin on in the background, and make sweet love like Osama and Leeroy Brown.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Explain that. I want to have a good laugh.

Honestly, I am arguing about what? What's your point? YOU are stating 2 respectable review sites are lying, based on something you fabricated. And of course I argue with that.

Here I finally found it:

http://en.expreview.com/2008/10/29/catalyst-810-hotfix-kidnapped-stones-in-far-cry-2.html

This is the article to which the other one is the follow up. In the other one in chinese things are not clear. But in this...

- They clearly state it's average frames.

- The screenshot is at the same angle, just in case you want to follow the same route once again.

Sorry kid, but you are just wrong, you have been since you started this mess. Period.

I see now, we are reinventing what I said in those screen shots I provided. Is that your argument? It's obvious not going to work here.

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP

Yeah he would deserve something great. A cookie. Want a cookie? :D

Honestly. I'm curious about what he is going say to refute my last post, because he NEVER will admit he was simply wrong, not being me the one he is arguing with.

I'm excited. It's going to be a really good literature, I'm sure. Some fantastic or sci-fi literature to be precise. Worth of one Hugo, probably. :roll:

EDIT: Oh he was faster than this post. Ooooooh... What a dissapointment. Negation of evidence. That's all he got. :(

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180

No, I am not missing the point but stated an opinion. You can agree or disagree but the point does stand on it's on merit within the content that I explained it. The post in which I left regarding the pic were directed more so towards the amount of information presented not about actual frame rates specifically. You can agree or disagree but lets not reinvent what was stated.