• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Random Internet Disconnect, whats up ?

W

wolf2009

The modem doesn't shut down, but internet just stops like every 5 mins. its really lame, since i have to refresh every browser window that is in the process of opening a new page. even downloads stop .

I'm using Comcast connection .

using a linksys router connected to motorola cable modem from comcast. Pc is free from malware, have avast anti virus. no infections or warnings .

no p2p traffic .

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
Could be a dying modem. My old one would do weird things like that before we replaced it.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Bypass your router, try a different modem, switch all your cables/splitters, and try different computers. If none of that solves the problem call your ISP because it's on their end.

Yin

Processor Intel i7 920
Motherboard ASUS RAMPAGE II Extreme
Cooling CM v10
Memory Corsair 3 x 2GB TR3X6G1866C9DF
Video Card(s) Nvidia XFX 8800GT Stock
Storage Seagate ST3500320AS, 2 x Samsung HD103UJ
Display(s) 2408WFP
Case Corsair 800D
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
If none of that solves the problem call your ISP because it's on their end.

you can't just say that.

First what type of internet connection?
Cable or Adsl

Do you have a wireless connection to your modem or router?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i actually agree with polaris. I have similar problems here, i swapped the modem/router and hte problem persists... after checking the modems logs, it was disconnecting and recconecting - problem, the local phone exchange had flooded after heavy rain.

CarolinaKSU

System Name ANTC-1221
Processor Intel Core2 Quad - Q9550 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-Deluxe
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-1283
Memory G.SKILL 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-1100 1.8v
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 280
Storage 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB in RAID0, WD Caviar 500GB
Display(s) Hanns-G HW223D 22"
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker connected to Logitech G15 5.1 Surround
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower W0116RU 750W
Software Vista Home Premium 64-bit
I would say if you are on wireless it is most likely the router in some way. They always seem to be the weak links in home networks. It could be a million things if you are on wireless, although if you are on just a wired network or straight to the modem it is most likely an ISP issue. Maybe Comcast is throttling you for being a paying customer and using what you pay for ;)

W

wolf2009

using a linksys router connected to motorola cable modem from comcast. Pc is free from malware, have avast anti virus. no infections or warnings .

no p2p traffic .

CarolinaKSU

System Name ANTC-1221
Processor Intel Core2 Quad - Q9550 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-Deluxe
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-1283
Memory G.SKILL 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-1100 1.8v
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 280
Storage 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB in RAID0, WD Caviar 500GB
Display(s) Hanns-G HW223D 22"
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker connected to Logitech G15 5.1 Surround
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower W0116RU 750W
Software Vista Home Premium 64-bit

no p2p traffic .

Have you tried a hard reset of the router? Not just pushing the reset button for a few seconds with a pen but do the 30-30-30 trick.

1. Hold down the reset button with a pen or whatever for 30 seconds.
2. While still holding the reset button, unplug the router and leave it unplugged for 30 seconds (it helps to have a second person help you to do this part because it is so easy to let go of that button)
3.While continuing to hold the reset button, plug the router back in and wait another 30 seconds and then release the button.
4. then power cycle the router normally

This not only resets you back to stock, but completely erases the local memory which can sometimes get backed up, causing hangs and slowdowns and doesn't always clear out when you power cycle or even a normal reset.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
you can't just say that.

I just did.

First what type of internet connection?
Cable or Adsl

Why does it matter? You only have control of what's on your side of the modem. If he tests all of his own equipment he will either find a fault in it or rule it out. If he rules out his own equipment then I'm fairly certain it is illegal for him to try to fix the ISP's equipment. When troubleshooting an internet problem you need to first find out where the problem is occurring. If it's on your end then you can fix it, if not then you have to call your ISP.

By ruling out your modem, router, computer, all your cables/connections by swapping them with different components or taking them out of the network you quickly rule out your own equipment with minimal effort. Or you could fiddle with all your router, modem, and computer settings which is quite time consuming and may or may not resolve the problem. If it didn't work you would have to test all the cables anyway, then remove the router from the network and plug a cable directly into the modem. So why not just do all the easy tests first and move on to the more difficult and time consuming problems if he discovers his own equipment is the problem?

If it's not his equipment what would you suggest he do? I guarantee you would tell him to call his ISP because they're the only people that can fix their equipment. To test the modem he'll probably have to call the ISP anyway because most people don't have a spare lying around, and even if he did have a spare he would have to call them to give them the MAC address so it would connect to their network.

In summary:

• Rule out Your Own Equipment
    -Plug a different, working computer, directly into the modem bypassing the router.
    -Replace the modem.
    -Use Cables you are sure are good.
    -replace any splitters or DSL filters you have.
    -Inspect wall jacks for damage.
    -If you're really, really, really ambitious check every inch of internet associated wiring in your home.
  • None of that worked?
    -It's your ISP.
    -Call them.

Last edited:

Yin

Processor Intel i7 920
Motherboard ASUS RAMPAGE II Extreme
Cooling CM v10
Memory Corsair 3 x 2GB TR3X6G1866C9DF
Video Card(s) Nvidia XFX 8800GT Stock
Storage Seagate ST3500320AS, 2 x Samsung HD103UJ
Display(s) 2408WFP
Case Corsair 800D
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
don't get me wrong here.
I mean there are a few steps that I know of which no one has suggested.

The reason why I ask ADSL or Cable is because they work differently (obviously).
Since its Cable I wont bother with ADSL for now.

You 100% correct about the MAC address because cable authentic via MAC address.
But there are heaps of simple things he can do before he contacts his ISP which may just get him to waste his time, such as checking the lights on the modem which usually are from top down

Power
Receive
Send
PC Link
Activity
Standby

If the power light doesn't go solid green it indicates a power problem.
check power cables.

If receive and send light aren't flashing signal problem.
check coaxial cable connection (also its a good idea to disconnect it and reconnect it to reset the signal)

If receive is on and send is flashing.
You can adjust the signal frequency inside the interface of the modem.

I used to work in a ISP and majority of the time just disconnecting the Coaxial cable and reconnecting it solves the problem. Also adjusting the has helped in situations.

Zero Ice

This use to happen to me a year or so back. I literally tried everything and ended calling my ISP. They sent out a few technicians, each one would either replace my cables or modem, problem never fixed. Eventually they sent out an advanced technician and noticed there was a discrepancy with the signal coming into this new neighborhood and they fixed it...

So after checking all your equipment, call the ISP and tell them to send out an advanced technician of some sort to locate the problem...