• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Small Office Server - where do I begin?

K

kyle2020

Hey guys, I need some in depth advice here.

A few nights ago i was contacted by a previous customer asking for some more business. Heres what he asked:

A new office block is being built in his business' main block. Its a small office, basically to be used for paperwork, etc. He wants:

1. 3 / 5 Computers to be built, each suitable for word processing, internet use, etc. This is the easy part - Im thinking some low profile mATX rigs with E1200's, 2GB of cheap RAM running onboard VGA.

2. A file / internet server. Now this is the hard part - I have never done this level of networking before, the most I have done is setting myself and my parents up on our wireless at home, thats not too hard to be honest. For one, I know that the specs of a server dont really need to be amazing - some cheap pentium single core stuff will suffice, but if i can get a bulk deal on E1200's or similar, ill use one of those.

My main problem is setting it up for file use (ill drop a 1TB HDD in it, but how the hell do I get each PC to connect to it?) and for internet use. Im guessing ill have to have each PC connect to this via a Hub / Router, and the server PC then connected to the internet (just to reiterate, this is a guess) but to be honest, im clueless.

Am I in too deep with this one, I mean building the PC's / getting them set up for office use is easy, for the 3/5 computers it will take roughly 2 days from building to fully functioning, but its the server issue im scared of.

Please, any advice on small office based servers for file use / internet use would be a massive help, but remember, your talking to a complete noob in this area, so be as in depth as possible!

Cookies shal be given :D

ktr

Simple, a server is nothing different than a workstation. Assemble a computer with a little more redundancy (raid 1, a quality powersupply, a high ventilation case, etc), and blammo...you got yourself a server.

And to setup for being a file server, all you going to do is make shared folders on the server...and on each workstation, you going to map that folder over the network. Any OS can do this. You can get Vista Home Server for more management functionality.

To connect all of this to the network, all workstation including the server is going to be plugged to a switch. Than the switch is plugged in to a router/modem.

K

kyle2020

Simple, a server is nothing different than a workstation. Assemble a computer with a little more redundancy (raid 1, a quality powersupply, a high ventilation case, etc), and blammo...you got yourself a server.

And to setup for being a file server, all you going to do is make shared folders on the server...and on each workstation, you going to map that folder over the network. Any OS can do this. You can get Vista Home Server for more management functionality.

To connect all of this to the network, all workstation including the server is going to be plugged to a switch. Than the switch is plugged in to a router/modem.

So your basically saying if i was to build a 6th computer with a tougher PSU, slap say XP Pro on it and setup the hardrive for network mapping, and boom the servers done?

wow. What kind of router / modem should i be looking at? Also, what about the internet?

ktr

So your basically saying if i was to build a 6th computer with a tougher PSU, slap say XP Pro on it and setup the hardrive for network mapping, and boom the servers done?

That is pretty much a file server is...Its a computer that has shareable directories.

wow. What kind of router / modem should i be looking at? Also, what about the internet?

That depends on your clients needs. For a small business, you can go with a business class DSL line. They will provide you the modem. As for switch, get something that is un-managed...you don't need a managed switch.

Something like this would be good enough: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127082

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Id throw a server OS on there so that way you can slap a domain on all the computers. Server 2003 or 2008 will suffice. Id probably slap a dual core in there of something higher than an E1200 to help keep up with the network load. Probably need a hardware firewall such as a Sonicwall.

K

kyle2020

That is pretty much a file server is...Its a computer that has shareable directories.

That depends on your clients needs. For a small business, you can go with a business class DSL line. They will provide you the modem. As for switch, get something that is un-managed...you don't need a managed switch.

Something like this would be good enough: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127082

So, just to get my mind sorted, heres how it would work:

Computer for office use connected to a switch (along with other 4 computers) that is then connected to the server rig that has the large HDD with all the files on / the internet?

ktr

So, just to get my mind sorted, heres how it would work:

Computer for office use connected to a switch (along with other 4 computers) that is then connected to the server rig that has the large HDD with all the files on / the internet?

5x workstation -----------> switch------------> router------------> modem-----------> ISP
Server-----------------------^

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.

Yep. You got it! :)

Seriously, dont even START to spec that "server" until you get back to him with more questions. You need to understand what he wants this "file/internet server" to do. What work the workers will do, and how they will use the server.

REALLY, depending on security requirements, depending on who else can/cannot connect to this server, depending on whether "internet access" to the server is required, etc. will very much change how you will configure this thing.

Remember, and this is a tip for all your working life; the smart people know what questions to ask - the dumb ones dont ask questions.

K

kyle2020

Yep. You got it! :)

Seriously, dont even START to spec that "server" until you get back to him with more questions. You need to understand what he wants this "file/internet server" to do. What work the workers will do, and how they will use the server.

REALLY, depending on security requirements, depending on who else can/cannot connect to this server, depending on whether "internet access" to the server is required, etc. will very much change how you will configure this thing.

Remember, and this is a tip for all your working life; the smart people know what questions to ask - the dumb ones dont ask questions.

haha, that didnt half make me laugh :laugh:

Its a small business that he owns, with 3 other people that are like managers that will be using this office, so restrictions seem unlikely.

I will be contacting him closer to the date though, this thread was just to get my head around the basic setup really. Now im a bit more clued up I feel a tad more confident - building those workstations will be easy, getting them to use a server will be my "leanr as you go along" section.

Thanks for all the info so far guys!

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
... so restrictions seem unlikely.
Expect that assumption to be false.

There is no way he will want accounts data to be visible or editable by anyone. If he has employees, he is legally required to secure any HR or payroll data.