• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Forum suggestion: Separate Forum entitled Peripherals & Accessories

Do you agree with having a Separate Forum or S-Forum called Peripherals & Accessories

• Yes

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
This would be either a separate forum in TPU or a sub-forum under "general hardware" to cover all peripherals and accessories to our rigs,
i.e. the place where all discussion involving Mice, Mouse mats, Monitors, Keyboards, Speakers, Headphones, Gaming Consoles, USB Flash Drives, Joysticks, Webcams, UPS's (uninterruptable power supplies), External Hard-Drives, External Floppy Drives, Voltage Stabilizers, LED's, Printers, Scanners, Photocopiers, Fax Machines and any combination thereof and anything else that I might have missed out.... get to be discussed.

As the situation stands right now, threads having any of the above subjects as topics end up in "General Hardware" despite the fact that they aren't about pc hardware at all but about peripherals. This results in having the "General Hardware" forum being unduly congested and hence it would be more difficult for the readers since they have to mentally separate the 'general hardware' parts from the 'peripherals' part.

Also, as it is right now with the 'General Hardware' forum being very busy, certain threads (on either topic) might easily get 'lost' due not to lack of replies but due to more posts being done either topic's thread at a certain time. IE just to give an example, if two or three members happen to open a thread each, one on Mice, another on Monitors and yet another asking a Headset recommendation - one might ask oneself upon seeing the first page: this is not a general hardware forum at all. The same could happen vice versa: someone might post asking for a cpu suggestion and the thread would get lost due to other members posting new threads on the peripherals and accessories mentioned above.

Finally, just to clarify - I did this poll not because I'm displeased in the forum in any way, but just beause I think it's a way to make it better.

So, what do you think?

Last edited:

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Peripherals = computer hardware too. As it is, I don't personally see General Hardware being "busy", having an abnormally high number of threads started, or even a high rate of threads that go unanswered (again that's user choice) in the very recent past. I could be wrong. 'lost' is what I would feel when the forum index is cluttered with too many forums. At present, we have 37 public forums already.

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Peripherals = computer hardware too.
Well, allow me to not agree on that issue. :)

At present, we have 37 public forums already.
Yes that's the main problem.
See the following 2 screenshots of a random usage of TPU's 37 forums and one can easily see which are being used reasonably, which are not, and which are being used excessively, and which aren't being used at all.

(I think the graphics cards forum ought to be an exception right now seeing the current ATI/Nvidia situation.... and after all the 'graphics cards' forum is already sub-divided between "general graphics", "nvidia" and "amd/ati" so the amount of users/threads there gets sufficiently distributed as well.)

Another issue would be analysing which are the most viewed threads under 'General Hardware'. Are they those really involving computer hardware, or are they those involving monitors, mice, speakers etc?

Last edited:

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
personally, i think it is fine. if we did more sub forums i would say in the fs/ft section.

I like how on XS it is divided into sub categorizes

like this.

Attachments

• xs.jpg
    xs.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 432

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Well, allow me to not agree on that issue. :)

Stalemate. I disagree as well.

Computer peripherals by default become commodities classified under hardware. Unless you come up with concrete statistics to suggest there's a genuine need for a sub-forum, this suggestion doesn't move me. Secondly, in my observations, Graphics cards always had more views over GH (which is natural since TPU is the home of GPU-Z, ATITool and Graphics Card reviews, (dominantly, reflecting on the general tastes of our audience)) (my statement is as 'concrete' as you telling "exception right now seeing the current ATI/Nvidia situation...."). The only forum that's expected to be buzzing with activity due to "exception right now seeing the current ATI/Nvidia situation...." is the News forum as that's where the users catch the real content relating to the "current ATI/Nvidia situation...."

oh, since we're randomly picking up screeenshots to back our claims, here's one relating to the first page of the General Hardware forum:

Count the number of threads relating to "Mice, Mouse mats, Monitors, Keyboards, Speakers, Headphones, Gaming Consoles, USB Flash Drives, Joysticks, Webcams, UPS's (uninterruptable power supplies), Voltage Stabilizers, LED's, Printers, Scanners, Photocopiers, Fax Machines and any combination thereof and anything else that I might have missed out...." ;)

Last edited:

Morgoth

Fueled by Sapphire
System Name Wopr "War Operation Plan Response"
Processor 5900x ryzen 9 12 cores 24 threads
Motherboard aorus x570 pro
Cooling air (GPU Liquid graphene) rad outside case mounted 120mm 68mm thick
Memory kingston 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ecc 2x16gb
Video Card(s) sapphire RX 6950 xt Nitro+ 16gb
Storage 300gb hdd OS backup. Crucial 500gb ssd OS. 6tb raid 1 hdd. 1.8tb pci-e nytro warp drive LSI
Display(s) AOC display 1080p
Case SilverStone SST-CS380 V2
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 850MX watt
Mouse corsair gaming mouse
Keyboard Microsoft brand
Software Windows 10 pro 64bit, Luxion Keyshot 7, fusion 360, steam
Benchmark Scores timespy 19 104
votes yes cus i'm bored

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
personally, i think it is fine. if we did more sub forums i would say in the fs/ft section.

I like how on XS it is divided into sub categorizes

like this.

i like that approach. the only thing i see as a problem is if a person is selling a whole bunch of stuff at once that belongs to several categories, like a lot of folks do here. i guess that would go under gen. hardeware.

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
i like that approach. the only thing i see as a problem is if a person is selling a whole bunch of stuff at once that belongs to several categories, like a lot of folks do here. i guess that would go under gen. hardeware.

true. but if your looking for a hdd then you go to storage. I was looking for a hdd here and i had to look through 8 pages before i found one.

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
I use your same screenshots for fairness (I circled the topics on peripherals and accessories):

The old stickied threads are obviously appropriate to the forum so I don't think they should be counted in this instance.
Obviously I counted the same threads shown on both screenshots only once too... (would make no sense counting the same thread twice)

So that makes in your page 16 threads for computer general hardware and 12 threads for computer peripherals.

Add to that a thread asking for information on computer cases and it brings the total to 15 threads on computer general hardware and 13 threads for computer peripherals and accessories.

So, that was my main reason for thinking that this would be beneficial to the general planning of the forums -- in the screenshots posted above, where a member opposing this idea took a random screenshot himself, nearly half of the threads don't involve general pc hardware but only involve pc peripherals and accessories.

Actually only 58% are on general hardware. The remaining 42% are on computer peripherals and accessories (and this only if we don't count the 'pc cases' thread which popped up as soon as I refreshed) otherwise the percentage would be 46% on peripherals and 56% on real computer hardware.

I mean here we're not talking about an isolated random thread or two, we're talking about nearly half a forum's content being inappropriate for the given title of "general hardware" because it's "computer peripherals".

Anyway, that's the end of my suggestive argument :) now it's up to the guys who really work and know what would be the best for the forums to decide. I urge all of you reading to help them by giving your opinion, because no leader can take the best decision without first knowing the wishes of his people.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
^Sound cards and monitors are very much computer hardware.

Your contention is based around computer hardware-related threads "overshadowing" or burying peripheral-related threads and hence a new forum and that General Hardware is getting cluttered end of it, mine is that since those relating to peripherals get "buried", it's due to them not getting too many replies on their own merit, not because the forum structuring causes that. If there's a topic that's interesing enough, draws enough attention, has the general bulk of users interested, and happens to be peripherals related, naturally it will stay atop "hardware" related threads. The trouble is, today General Hardware by itself isn't as busy as say Graphics Cards, News, or even General Nonsense for that matter. Let it buzz. Let us see it cluttering the New Posts list to begin with. Let's not split such a forum to form two forums with lesser amount of activity each. By the way, the description for the General Hardware reads "Hardware discussion not covered by any other forum". A peripheral per say is always a subset of hardware. We all saw how popular Storage ended up being, months after its creation. Let's be conservative and careful with the forum index. A cluttered index can be a put-off for many.

Last edited:
System Name Main / Home Media Serever
Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.75ghz / AMD AM3 5200+ x2
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance / Biostar 790GX
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight / XIGMATEK Apache
Memory 12gb of G.Skill Value Series DDR3 / 4x 1gb DDR2
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 6870 1gb / Asus Radeon 5450 512mb
Storage 2x Samsung 830 64gb SSD Raid 0 & 750gb WD Blue HDD / OCZ Vertex II 80GB & 10TB of HDD Space
Display(s) 2x Acer 24" LED / Samsung 50" LED
Case Xigmatek Asgard II / APEX PC-389-C
Power Supply Rosewill 750w / Antec EArthwatts 380w
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 / Ubuntu 14.04
I think the forums are fine for the time be.

Last edited:
So, you basically say people don't post in the right sections. Nothing new. External hard drives, floppy drives, USB sticks, etc belong under storage. Christmas belongs in general nonsense.
The rest are, well, general hardware. They don't generate enough topics to justify it their own section. Besides, if you give everything a section, what would be left for general hardware?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
One of the reasons I like this website is the simplicity of its forum and sub-forums. General hardware is good for all other hardware related subjects that aren't covered by the other forums. I see no problem with the way things are. Rarely does a thread go unnoticed.