• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gateway/Router functionality in Server 2008?

Tau

Well I have been playing with a few virtual machines of server 2008 to beta test a new setup that will be going live here soon, though i cant seem to get a couple things working.

I have Server 1 with 2 NICS, one nic is connected to the internet, the other nic to the local lan via a switch. server 1 is the AD, DNS, DHCP, and will also end up being the ISA server once i get it working.

now i have server 2 with one NIC that is connected to the same switch as NIC 2 out of server 1.

The issue that i am having is i have server 1s AD, DNS and DHCP all setup right and working on the network fine, though i cannot get any internet connectivity on server 2. it grabs an ip and all the right dns info, will connect to the domain, and gives me local only.

I know how to setup ICS/routing in server 2003 in about 5 clicks... so i cant see them moving it this far in server 2008....

any ideas?

Tau

Well I have been playing with a few virtual machines of server 2008 to beta test a new setup that will be going live here soon, though i cant seem to get a couple things working.

I have Server 1 with 2 NICS, one nic is connected to the internet, the other nic to the local lan via a switch. server 1 is the AD, DNS, DHCP, and will also end up being the ISA server once i get it working.

now i have server 2 with one NIC that is connected to the same switch as NIC 2 out of server 1.

The issue that i am having is i have server 1s AD, DNS and DHCP all setup right and working on the network fine, though i cannot get any internet connectivity on server 2. it grabs an ip and all the right dns info, will connect to the domain, and gives me local only.

I know how to setup ICS/routing in server 2003 in about 5 clicks... so i cant see them moving it this far in server 2008....

any ideas?

Never mind i fixed it, turns out VMware dident want to cooperate

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
so was VMWare not bridging the nics properly or something?

Tau

so was VMWare not bridging the nics properly or something?

Yeah the NIC service for VMware kept crashing and not telling me about it so it would randomly drop connectivity on the instances.

Fixed that though and im all good :)

And Damn ISA server 2006 doesent cooperate with Server 2008 :banghead: So im about to try the Threat security thing i cant remember the acronym.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Yeah the NIC service for VMware kept crashing and not telling me about it so it would randomly drop connectivity on the instances.

Fixed that though and im all good :)

how did you figure it out since it wasnt telling you it was dropping? was it process of elimination?

And Damn ISA server 2006 doesent cooperate with Server 2008 :banghead: So im about to try the Threat security thing i cant remember the acronym.

wait, are you running this all one machine or is server 2008 and the isa server separate rigs running vms ?

Tau

how did you figure it out since it wasnt telling you it was dropping? was it process of elimination?

Yeah, i was watching for weird behavior and i noticed the process kept killing itself for some reason... not sure why but after a reinstall it seems to have fixed the machine.

wait, are you running this all one machine or is server 2008 and the isa server separate rigs running vms ?

their on the same virtual machine, im basically figuring out the new stuff in server 2008 to see if its worth me setting up this new deployment on 08, sofar its not looking to good...

when the rollout is ready i think ill end up putting OS/ISA/TMG on a machine as well as DHCP/Routing, then run an AD on a machine, then an Exchange machine, and finally a Fileserver.

Though i may combine the AD with the first machine... since there are only going to be maybe 10-15 clients and i could save a bit of money there.

Thoughts?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
what is AD and what is your budget. you could build a nice dual chip quad core system with 16 gigs of ram and put all of that one machine with a VM if you feel it is necessary for much less than building a bunch of diff physical machines. but of course if the system goes down EVERYTHING goes down. how many clients total?

Tau

what is AD and what is your budget. you could build a nice dual chip quad core system with 16 gigs of ram and put all of that one machine with a VM if you feel it is necessary for much less than building a bunch of diff physical machines. but of course if the system goes down EVERYTHING goes down. how many clients total?

AD = Active Directory, Dont really have a budget w/e works but obviously the cheaper the better.

I already have servers for this iv got 3 dual Xeon machines, 1GB ram in each (for now ill be upping em to 4GB+ a piece), and another machine with a single Xeon 5GB ram (going to be the fileserver) so hardware wise im covered.

I would say no more than 20 clients, closer to 15 probobly, and there wont be a ton of concurrent access really.

I know the hardware is a overkill but the price was right and im not about to complaine, i have a bunch of experiance with server 2003, im just playing with 08 to see if its worth rolling it out on 08.

Other question are there any issues with running 08 and 03 on the same domain?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
that is some powerful stuff! i am not too familiar with server 08 but i think sticking with 03 is the way to go unless you need what 08 offers.

Tau

that is some powerful stuff! i am not too familiar with server 08 but i think sticking with 03 is the way to go unless you need what 08 offers.

Thats kind of what im starting to think since i cant really see anything new that it brings that i need (except the headaches!)

The other thing i was contemplating was upping the ram a bit on one of the server (4-8GB) and running everything virtually on it... ill have to do some playing with that though.

Pic of the servers :)

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
great pic. are those things loud? i imagine they need lots of ventilation considering their cramped quarters. i love how they just sit on the desk :laugh:

are you using a KVM switch to jump between the 3?

i just ordered a little system for a home linux project and will be doing some VM stuff on it (mainly getting server 03 to work on it.) i got a matx case but i was for a time considering getting a 4U case just for kicks. i thought about a 1U case but i would imagine you cant really keep them cool without a rack.

Tau

great pic. are those things loud? i imagine they need lots of ventilation considering their cramped quarters. i love how they just sit on the desk :laugh:

are you using a KVM switch to jump between the 3?

i just ordered a little system for a home linux project and will be doing some VM stuff on it (mainly getting server 03 to work on it.) i got a matx case but i was for a time considering getting a 4U case just for kicks. i thought about a 1U case but i would imagine you cant really keep them cool without a rack.

their not bad when they are idling, at 100% load they are VERY loud... theres 14 fans or so in each... and each is a 60dB delta... yeah their actually up on a shelf now had ot move em. yeah the 4 of them are on a 4 port KVM at the moment (their not deployed yet, im VM waring test setups on a laptop)

4U you could silence it fairly well, these things should be substantially more quiet once i get them in a cabinet (have to find a cabinet first, and ill be damned if im paying $900 for a 22U cabinet :mad:)

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
yea cabinet prices are ridiculous. have fun getting them up and running. are you the only IT guy in your office?

Tau

yea cabinet prices are ridiculous. have fun getting them up and running. are you the only IT guy in your office?

Yup, these are for a side project though, but yeah in the office we have 35 clients or so, and this setup is for a new project :)

Thanks for the best wishes.