• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fatcow.com?

redwings0921

System Name Redwings System
Processor Intel Q6600
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L
Cooling Lots of Fan (Getting WC soon!)
Memory Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200)
Video Card(s) EVGA 9600GT w/ stock fan
Storage WD Caviar 1TB
Display(s) Acer 19 inch LCD
Case Smilidon
Audio Device(s) Compusa PCI 7.1 Card
Power Supply Rosewill 550 watt(new one in the mail)
Software Vista Home Premium x32
Has anyone ever used them for webhosting? They were rated high. I have a good idea for a forum that i want to make, and am looking for a good webhost that provides a domain. Please let me know if you have ever used them before or know any other reliable companies.

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
Tbh, I've never used FatCow, though I know some folks who have and are happy. I've used GoDaddy and been pretty happy so far with their hosting as well as customer service.

Most of the "big dogs" like GoDaddy and FatCow are essentially the same. What you'll need to do is evaluate the different prices/tiers, etc., for your immediate and short term needs to get the best bang for your buck.

For instance, do you need "Site Builder" services or do you have your own software for site building. That sort of thing........

I wouldn't recommend getting a domain with hosting as if you intend to keep the domain but drop the hosting, they'll most likely hold your domain for ransom. Hostgator is one of the top web providers to my knowledge and they have relatively cheap prices. Lunarpages is good as well.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
^ I had the same issue. I had a domain and hosting. I dropped the hosting, and asked them to transfer the domain. They didnt. They let it go. I could get it back if I waited until the 30 day expiry period, and reregister it. Guess what. Fxxking TuCows took it. And they are cybersquatting it asking for $500 to let me have it back. What really annoys me is they were the "registrars" used by the hosting provider. Completely unethical by TuCows. I came up with the name, I registered it, I have been the ONLY owner of that name, and now they have snatched it and holding me to ransom.

W4NK3RS

Check carefully what your forum site requires, e.g. SQL, PHP, etc. Many webhosting places give you all you need for a static site, but for dynamic sites needing SQL etc. you will need to pay more.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Every domain I owned got taken over much the same. I don't get why price jacking isn't made an international crime. That is, you shouldn't be allowed to buy a domain for resell.

I think it was my RAC-NF.com domain. Just out of curiosity I contacted the place that bought it after it expired and it sounded to me like they wanted no less than $100,000 USD. I wouldn't be surprised if the going rate was in excess of $1,000,000 USD. I told him, I'll pay at most $20 bucks or no deal. They never contacted me back. :laugh: This was a few years back. The domain is available again. XD

But yeah, ICANN needs to make that activity criminal.

redwings0921

System Name Redwings System
Processor Intel Q6600
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L
Cooling Lots of Fan (Getting WC soon!)
Memory Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200)
Video Card(s) EVGA 9600GT w/ stock fan
Storage WD Caviar 1TB
Display(s) Acer 19 inch LCD
Case Smilidon
Audio Device(s) Compusa PCI 7.1 Card
Power Supply Rosewill 550 watt(new one in the mail)
Software Vista Home Premium x32
thank you everyone! i am carefully looking at all my options and taking your advice into consideration

aeitos

I am a customer of fatcow and I'd say their services are the best. Like for example.. my account. I have about 8 different websites on one account. Which I can have an unlimited amount of websites with no extra fee. I have unlimited diskspace.. unlimited bandwidth.. email forms/forums/blogs/guestbooks/galleries installs through the control panel and a shopping cart to build your store and web site builders and 24/7 support if you ever have any questions or issues. The only pitfall to using fatcow is their domain names are $20 a year.. but that's why I register my domains names through Ipower.com for $9.95 a year and then change the nameservers over to fatcow :D

As for you guys who lost your domain name.. that is your own fault. Simply sending them an email saying "transfer my domain" and then leaving it at that for them to do all the work is not the way to go. You need to do some work and followup on it.. it's not their fault if you don't renew it and get it transferred. You should also have renewed your domain before transferring it. If anything it would be the fault of the registrar you are transferring to for not informing you on the rules and regulations and how to do a registrar transfer to them.

ICANN, the organization responsible for the stability of the Internet requires that you:

1. Domain name cannot be expired or expiring within 10 days.
2. Domain name has been registered with your current registrar for at least 60 days.
3. Make sure you have access to the administrative email.
4. Make sure the domain is unlocked.
5. Make sure you get the authorization code from your current registration provider.

This does not apply for fatcow only.. this applies for ALL domains. And you would initiate the transfer by contacting the registrar you are transferring to and THEY would initiate the transfer and would contact your current registrar asking to take the domain.. your current registrar then sends an email to the administrative email address on the domain asking for the authorization code. After providing the authorization code the domain will then be transferred.

So just so you know fatcow is not a registrar. Fatcow is a web hosting company who resells domains for tucows. Yes I agree it's pretty crappy what tucows did to you.. but their aloud to do that because you let your domain expire and delete.. they have the ability to do this when your domain is in the deletion status which means they are in the process of deleting it and making it available to the public. They steal domains sometimes if they think they are valuable.. for example.. say google.com expired and was about to be made available to the public and you're the registrar who is about to delete it.. are you going to make it available to the public again for someone to register for a few bucks?? or keep it because it could be worth something.. well.... google would probably be worth (m/b)illions lol By the way it takes a month or two before you domain enters the deletion period so you had all the time in the world to renew it so it's not fatcows problem/fault.

Sorry for the rant :p all in all, fatcow is a superb host in my opinion and they have hundreds of thousands of customers so they must think so too... i'm just trying to state that you shouldn't be dissing them when it's not their fault :pimp: don't be hatin :p

later :rolleyes::p

Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
As for you guys who lost your domain name.. that is your own fault.
BS. You werent listening. The issue is that a provider was giving domain registration AND hosting. I ask to let the hosting lapse ($200 per year) BUT keep the name registration ($20 per year). THEY said, let it lapse and then re-register.

Well is didnt quite work out, did it? They let it go and tucows "got it". But WTF, tucows were the original registrars. That's just theft. They are squatting the name still. I am the ONLY person that has had an interest in that name. I registered it. They've now taken it and keep re-registering it to themselves every year. When I approach them to say, "that name was invented by me, you were the initial registrars, stop squatting it", they say, "OK $500 and you can have it back, nah nah". W4NK3RS.

Tucows stinks. They register to themselves at no cost and are squatting thousands of domain names. It's highwy robbery.

Last edited:

aeitos

BS. You werent listening. The issue is that a provider was giving domain name AND hosting. I ask to let the hosting lapse ($200 per year) BUT keep the name with them ($20 per year).

They didnt. They let it go and tucows "got it". But WTF they are the original registrars. That's just theft.

$200 a year?? maybe you're talking about a different web hosting company.. Fatcow has been charging $66-$99 for the longest time... i dunno... how long ago was it when this happened to you? I know quite a few years ago they did move everything over to new servers and the company was sold and under new management.. that was a LONG time ago though.. and I think even back then they didn't charge that much.. I dunno.

Another thing if you didn't know you could sign up a free account with fatcow as a domain holding account. And you can just hold domains on it... and you can renew the domains yourself through the domain central.

Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
$200. Yes, full service webhosting with email and sql etc. It was 3 years ago. It wasnt fatcow. Please read my posts... my complaints are about Tucows, not fatcow. However, if they are one and the same company...

aeitos

$200. Yes, full service webhosting with email and sql etc. It was 3 years ago. It wasnt fatcow. Please read my posts... my complaints are about Tucows, not fatcow. However, if they are one and the same company...

Ok. Well I just figured you must have been speaking about Fatcow since that's what this thread is about and you never specified which hosting company you were talking about. And no they are not the same company at all.

ronlenmac

Fat Cow web hosting

WARNING ABOUT FATCOW
Today, Feb 16, 2009

I have had a small digital image site hosted by FatCow for about 3 years and with a few minor issues at times I have been happy with it. lenhartimages.com

Lately they have been having issues with what I suspect is major hacking and today they (fatcow) were attempting to change all users passwords as I was working on my site. I logged off about 1PM and when I attempted to log back in after 2PM i was directed to a site that for all indications was Fat Cow but is totally foreign, it isn't even a spoof of Fat Cow.

Then i started getting e-mails from my subscribers to my site saying they were getting a commercial site, not mine.

I attempted to call the Support line but no one is answering.

It would be nice if Fat Cow would e-mail it's users and let us know what is going on.

Fortunately my business is a small hobby one and I can handle a short down time. I feel sorry for those who have major selling sites.

go to fatcow.com and you will see what comes up. Also with my site lenhartimages.com, same thing

Last edited:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
use hostgator i know the owner they hand write the linux code for all of the severs and are hella secure

ronlenmac

Fatcow customers

Any other Fatcow customers experiencing DIFFICULTIES TODAY?:mad:

3:15 pm MST OK they are back online with no apparent ill effects on my sites. It makes me very nervous though, too many little issues lately with them.

Last edited:

paulm

System Name Failbox
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2 w/ Stock Cooling
Motherboard Intel D975XBX2
Cooling Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) EVGA 7900 GS
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
Display(s) Chimei 22"
Case Enermax Chakra (upgrading)
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-520HX
Software Windows XP SP3
If you want to find out what the best hosting companies are, take a look at webhostingtalk.com

Never go with a host which offers more than 20GB of space and 50GB of bandwidth for under $10. Never register a domain with a host. Never look at host "review" sites, they are all getting kickbacks.

From my experience, www.medialayer.com is one of the best hosts out there. They are a bit on the pricey side, but support always answers within 15 minutes and they run very fast server software (Litespeed HTTP server and various PHP accelerators).

Don't believe companies giving unlimited hosting or 100GB's of storage and such, as they oversell (sell more resources than they have, knowing that nobody will use them all). You don't need much space for any website. When you do, its time to switch to dedicated servers or VPS anyway.

In your case, you do not need more than 1GB of storage and probably 5GB of bandwidth, and unless your forum grows very rapidly, you won't be able to use even that.

Nictanium

Thanks PaulM!

I don't know if I'll actually use this forum ever again. It doesn't look bad. I really only registered so I could thank you for your post on registering domain names and web hosting. It's so hard to sort all the crap on the internet from the truly useful info. So, I really appreciated this post when I found it.

Also, I'm just getting started in website design. Are you available to be a web coach? I'm looking for someone that I could even just go to for advice or to bounce ideas off of just so I can avoid wasting years of headaches on something an experienced person would easily avoid. I don't know if you'll get this right away but I'm planning on registering 5-10 or so domain names with GoDaddy tonight and would be willing to sign up under you if you're an affiliate??

Either way, thanks again!

Nic D.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
@Nic : There are many people here on TPU who are well versed in web design and coding.
If you have a question, just ask. Someone will help you.

Btw ... Welcome to TPU. :toast:

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
as others have mentioned, what you do NOT want to do is get the domain and hosting from the same people.

go to register.com or any other straight domain reseller... if you go to godaddy or the like they buy a domain name from someone else for you, but they control it in reality. skip the middleman and buy the name yourself.

then find a host, the cheapest you can find(without glaring negative reviews) for starting out. once you have full control over your domain, switching to a new host can be completed in under 2 days ... that's not bad. also know that when you transfer hosting the actual downtime is negligible.... your name will continue to point to your old host until each DNS updates, and then it's start pointing to the new host... no real downtime unless the company you are switching from is down or shuts you off or something...

tl;dr - the important thing is having full control of your domain name, without any middleman. after that, choosing a host is no big deal. no offense but you are not starting multi million dollar website , the price difference between 99% uptime (cheap & common) and 99.99% uptime is enormous, and not worth it unless tons of money is on the line.

edit: now i realise his last post was a week ago, guessing he already bought through go daddy.... ewww ;)

Nictanium

Thanks for the info.

Kreij and Digibucc,

Thanks for the warm welcome and feedback. That will help. I think I will keep an eye on the Tech Power Up Forums.

as others have mentioned, what you do NOT want to do is get the domain and hosting from the same people. I'll keep this in mind.

go to register.com or any other straight domain reseller... if you go to godaddy or the like they buy a domain name from someone else for you, but they control it in reality. skip the middleman and buy the name yourself. I didn't realize the difference. I thought with all the ads they were a legitimate/actual registrar.

edit: now i realise his last post was a week ago, guessing he already bought through go daddy.... ewww ;)

Will do in the future. I already registered some domains through GoDaddy for one theme, but I still have a different theme of domains I'll be registering soon so I'll check out Register.com.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I've used a hosting company called gnxonline, out of London (I think).
They're pretty reasonable depending upon what you need. Never had any problems.

You'll find TPU one of the best sites on the interwebz. Where do you think Leonardo DaVinci got all his ideas?

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
FYI ... GoDaddy just put themselves up for sale.

Amy

Fatcow are one of my favorite hosts.

System Name Gearbox || Server
Processor i5 3570K @ 4.0Ghz || E8400 @ Stock 3Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 || Gigabyte EP41-UD3L
Cooling Stock || Stock
Memory 8GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 @ 1600mhz || 4GB Kingston Value DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270X Direct CU II TOP @ 1120/1500 || N/A
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB || 1TB WD Green, 2TB WD Green, 3TB WD Red
Display(s) HP x23 LED 23" Full HD Panel
Case Corsair 200R || Open-Air
Audio Device(s) Audioengine D1 + Logitech Z623/Audio Technica ATH-M50 || N/A
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts Platinum 650 W || Antec Neo Eco 450 W
Software Windows 8.1 Update 3 Pro 64 || Ubuntu Server 14.04 64
What about square space? If you pm me I might be able to find you a promo code.

FatCowBadDeal

Fat Cow = Bad Experience

Our company has hosting by Fat Cow.
We took up their hosting offer of a "free domain name".
To streamline our management we decided to renew the domain name with a preferred & reliable registrar.
BUT.........
The domain name expired and Fat Cow wants $160 to release it.
- The domain name has expired
- over 45 days has elapsed since the expiry
- Fat Cow is not using this domain name (it's only worth something to me)
- I have this domain name now on backorder with our preferred domain registrar
and Fat Cow refuses to release the domain name.

What a bunch of douches!!!!!!!!!!
This is alleged EXTORTION.

And Hostmonster is no better.
BEWARE & BE WARNED

System Name ASAS
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Patriot 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 T1 @ 1.5V
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Gaming
Storage Samsung 830 256GB + Samsung Spinpoint T133 HD400LJ 400GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster EX1920
Case Bitfenix Ghost
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889
Power Supply Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze 620W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Currently using Internet Vision and Baltic Servers. IV is by far the best I've ever used. It's unfortunately unavailable to you, foreigners :p.

Baltic Servers is good too. Good prices, already has PHP 5.5, some PHP options that are usually disabled on other hosts. There's a free shared hosting deal ATM. Can get a coupon, if anyone needs.