• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What was the scariest game you have ever played?

DarkMatter

Processor Intel C2Q Q6600 @ Stock (for now)
Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Cooling Proc: Scythe Mine, Graphics: Zalman VF900 Cu
Memory 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Storage 74 GB WD Raptor 10000rpm, 2x250 GB Seagate Raid 0
Display(s) HP p1130, 21" Trinitron
Case Antec p180
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi PLatinum
Power Supply 700W FSP Group 85% Efficiency
Software Windows XP
I'm surprised no one mentioned Half Life.

Half Life 1 Used to scare me when I was really young. Now not at all but 2 and EP1 got me real good. I remember one time where your waiting for the elevator to get down and your battling zombies in the dark. That shit scared me.

S.T.A.L.k.E.R also gave me its moments.

Half Life franchise never really scared me for the most part. Only, I think it was in Opposing Force, when you had to enter some really dark sewers or something like that. There were some big and powerful mosters there. Yeah that scene was scary, but other than that, nope. Intriguing, yes, like Ravenholm in HL2 and the scene you mentioned in Ep1, challenging to the senses, but not really scary IMO.

Half Life games have a very good atmosphere that doesn't pass unnoticed, but it's been always solitude what they have make me feel. And same with STALKER, I always felt solitude, and sadness for something I can't explain completely. Then again, that's the same feeling that real life ghost towns or cementeries have on me, even at night. Might be because I don't believe in the paranormal. Well I do believe in the possibility of existence of some paranormal forces, but I strongly believe they can/could be explained by science, maybe not just yet: there's so much we still don't know about the universe that I think it's possible in one way or another.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Half Life franchise never really scared me for the most part. Only, I think it was in Opposing Force, when you had to enter some really dark sewers or something like that. There were some big and powerful mosters there. Yeah that scene was scary, but other than that, nope. Intriguing, yes, like Ravenholm in HL2 and the scene you mentioned in Ep1, challenging to the senses, but not really scary IMO.

Half Life games have a very good atmosphere that doesn't pass unnoticed, but it's been always solitude what they have make me feel. And same with STALKER, I always felt solitude, and sadness for something I can't explain completely. Then again, that's the same feeling that real life ghost towns or cementeries have on me, even at night. Might be because I don't believe in the paranormal. Well I do believe in the possibility of existence of some paranormal forces, but I strongly believe they can/could be explained by science, maybe not just yet: there's so much we still don't know about the universe that I think it's possible in one way or another.

On that note, I came up with a Theory explaining Ghost scientifically. Let me put into perspective for ya first.

Lets say we have a 2D World with 2D Creatures living on it, they can't see beings in the 3'rd dimension because they can't comprehend the idea of an UP or down because they are not physically capable of doing such a move. Now here we come and invade there 2D land. We can move up and down through their world. Now whenever we move through their world they would only see us in 2D shapes like circles and squares and we would change shape as we move through. This would be very weird looking to the 2D creatures. More to that we can seemingly be in front of them move up on out into the 3'rd Dimension disappear (At least to them) and reappear some where behind them.

Now my Scientific theory is that Ghost are in fact Being's from the 4th Dimension. It explains everything so well. How it is the look transparent, their ability to disappear and reappear and go through walls. It makes since you know. And if string theory goes through and they do proof the existence of like 10 dimensions they I'm even more confident in it.

DarkMatter

Processor Intel C2Q Q6600 @ Stock (for now)
Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Cooling Proc: Scythe Mine, Graphics: Zalman VF900 Cu
Memory 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Storage 74 GB WD Raptor 10000rpm, 2x250 GB Seagate Raid 0
Display(s) HP p1130, 21" Trinitron
Case Antec p180
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi PLatinum
Power Supply 700W FSP Group 85% Efficiency
Software Windows XP
On that note, I came up with a Theory explaining Ghost scientifically. Let me put into perspective for ya first.

Lets say we have a 2D World with 2D Creatures living on it, they can't see beings in the 3'rd dimension because they can't comprehend the idea of an UP or down because they are not physically capable of doing such a move. Now here we come and invade there 2D land. We can move up and down through their world. Now whenever we move through their world they would only see us in 2D shapes like circles and squares and we would change shape as we move through. This would be very weird looking to the 2D creatures. More to that we can seemingly be in front of them move up on out into the 3'rd Dimension disappear (At least to them) and reappear some where behind them.

Now my Scientific theory is that Ghost are in fact Being's from the 4th Dimension. It explains everything so well. How it is the look transparent, their ability to disappear and reappear and go through walls. It makes since you know. And if string theory goes through and they do proof the existence of like 10 dimensions they I'm even more confident in it.

Yep that's exactly what I have always thought and was specifically thinking of that when I wrote that, string theory included. I wouldn't say that the string theory is proved though. I'm convinced of it already anyway. It does make sense and opens so many doors to all the things we can't really explain of our universe, like particles that teleport or "time-travel", or stelar corpses (galaxies for the most part) that are believed by some to travel faster than light speed (because of their apparent doppler) when that is impossible.

The simple idea that the time could have more than one dimension (and two and three) is thrilling too. And when it comes to ghosts: There's no doubt that each of us has a distinct energy footprint, which is created by our body and our brain, basically the sum of every interaction of our atoms. Who's to say that when we die and the atoms that formed us get spread in OUR TIME and OUR 3 dimensions, they get spread in other dimensions too? With such possibilities, science and religions can somehow go hand by hand.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017
I think gears of war is kinda scary .

System Name Turbo_Fighter/Pitbull
Processor AMD FX-9590/Intel i7 6700K 4.7GHZ @ 1.41 volts
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0/Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
Cooling Corsair H105/Corsair H100iv2
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Ares/32 GB G.Skill Trident-Z
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon R9 Fury X/Sapphire R9 Nano
Storage Mix of HDDs SSDs Externals and a 256GB Samsung M.2 in the pitbull
Display(s) 24" Nixeus 144hz freesync/24'' Benq XL2420TE/21.5'' Asus VH226/Panasonic 42" Plasma
Case White Phantom NZXT/Fractal Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) MayFlower O2 ODAC/HT Omega Claro+/Turtlebeach Earforce DSS
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i/Thermaltake Smart 650Watt(EVGA GS 650 Watt took a shit on me)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores They can run Crysis.
Big Rigs, always scared me how fast rigs can go in reverse.