• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

noob home networking question

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
ive done a little research on this topic but havnt come up with anything solid yet. this is probably real simple. i have a d-link wireless n router/gateway/firewall that hasnt been performing wireless functions very well. this is a problem because my two PCs are in a different room running wireless to it. i cant move the d-link because it is in the same room the cable connection comes into and there is no way to run the cable to the room i want without doing major wall hacking. so i want to hard-line the two PCs to a separate router/gateway/firewall (a trendnet) and have that router/gateway/firewall hard-lined to the first d-link. get the picture? so on the d-link, which is the main gateway i want to setup a routing table to the trendnet right? and i want to disable DHCP on the trendnet? all PCs, even tho on separate gateway/router/firewalls must be able to see eachother on the intranet. please help!

System Name home brew
Processor Intel Corei7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 GSKILL
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon 7970, MSI Radeon 7970
Storage Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb. 2 TB Hdd.
Display(s) 3x24inch Dell Ultra IPS
Case CM storm trooper
Power Supply Antec Quattro OC ed. 1200w
Software Windows 7 Business x64
Benchmark Scores vantage: P43089
I have yet to try a router to a router. The trendnet will connect from its upling port to a switchport on the dlink. I believe it automatically does NAT translation. So i believe you can let both devices do their own dhcp leasing. Unless the dhcp packets will go through the trendnet to it's connected devices.

The default gateway is where traffic to go to get out. Should you set the gateway as the trendnet you will create a routing loop. So set the gateway of the dlink to your modem. And set the gateway of your trendnet to your dlink.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
yea i just switched the trendnet to bridge mode and it works fine.

nepenthe

Providing I understand you correctly;
I would leave your DLINK setup as it was to begin with, then just turn off DHCP on all the other routers your attaching. In doing such you've essentially turned them into switches. You need not make any other configurations to the other routers nor the DLINK. Just make sure you're not plugging the computers into the WAN ports on the Trendnets. The only WAN port in use should be by the DLINK connecting to your modem. The DLINK runs the show the rest just pass the word along to those connected.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Providing I understand you correctly;
I would leave your DLINK setup as it was to begin with, then just turn off DHCP on all the other routers your attaching. In doing such you've essentially turned them into switches. You need not make any other configurations to the other routers nor the DLINK. Just make sure you're not plugging the computers into the WAN ports on the Trendnets. The only WAN port in use should be by the DLINK connecting to your modem. The DLINK runs the show the rest just pass the word along to those connected.

yea that is essentially what bridge mode does. it works fine now.