• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Raid setup

dysart22

High Everyone;
I have a Asus P5K Premium board and will be running Vista Ultimate. My southbridge controler has 6 sata ports and supports raid 0, 1, 5, and 10.

My question is: Can I use 3 ports in a raid setup (for storage and backup), 1 for the O/S and the other 2 for Blu-Ray drive etc.

I am thinking of running a Raptor drive for the O/S, Would this be a good setup?

Thanks for your help
Wayne

System Name home brew
Processor Intel Corei7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 GSKILL
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon 7970, MSI Radeon 7970
Storage Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb. 2 TB Hdd.
Display(s) 3x24inch Dell Ultra IPS
Case CM storm trooper
Power Supply Antec Quattro OC ed. 1200w
Software Windows 7 Business x64
Benchmark Scores vantage: P43089
So you want 3 drives in raid, one seperate for OS. Then 2 for optical. I don't see why you can't do that. Read your documentation for your motherboard on raid setup. But in your bios you should be able to pick what devices go into the raid array.

dysart22

Thanks Hybrid Theory;

I thought thats what it said when I read the manual, I just wanted to double check. Do you think it is a good idea to have the O/S on a separate drive? I've read good reviews on the Raptor drive. I'm thinking it would help performance.

Tau

You wont notice much of a diffrence between a good Sata2 drive and a raptor in real life performance.... thats just my opinion though as i know lots of people who use raptors and like them, personally i could use more space than 3-5 seconds less on game loads....

You should be able to setup multiple raids on the same controller (i assume thats what your question is.)

I would put the OS and all your installs on one drive (C:), then use the other for storage, that would be the most conventional setup.

System Name home brew
Processor Intel Corei7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 GSKILL
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon 7970, MSI Radeon 7970
Storage Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb. 2 TB Hdd.
Display(s) 3x24inch Dell Ultra IPS
Case CM storm trooper
Power Supply Antec Quattro OC ed. 1200w
Software Windows 7 Business x64
Benchmark Scores vantage: P43089
You wont notice much of a diffrence between a good Sata2 drive and a raptor in real life performance.... thats just my opinion though as i know lots of people who use raptors and like them, personally i could use more space than 3-5 seconds less on game loads....

You should be able to setup multiple raids on the same controller (i assume thats what your question is.)

I would put the OS and all your installs on one drive (C:), then use the other for storage, that would be the most conventional setup.

This is a valid point. Raptors dont have the 1 up they used to on regular drives. Hard drives with lots of storage get pretty quick, because they have a higher density per plate. Get a 7200 rpm now and wait for ssd price drops.