• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Demonstrate GPU Havok Physics Acceleration at GDC

DarkMatter

Processor Intel C2Q Q6600 @ Stock (for now)
Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Cooling Proc: Scythe Mine, Graphics: Zalman VF900 Cu
Memory 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Storage 74 GB WD Raptor 10000rpm, 2x250 GB Seagate Raid 0
Display(s) HP p1130, 21" Trinitron
Case Antec p180
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi PLatinum
Power Supply 700W FSP Group 85% Efficiency
Software Windows XP
Do you not have an Intel CPU? They must be doing something right :rolleyes:

As I said, what hardware I have has nothing to do with which technologies I want for the future. I bought Intel because I always buy whichever is best in the price range I choose to pay (maybe you all could remember this Intel example the next time you choose to think I'm a Nvidia fanboy). At the same time I know how shaddy and evil Intel is. I gave them my money, because they had the better product, but I never give my heart to any company. I know they've been holding back physics in games and I know they will continue with that in the future. In the future I will probably buy Intel CPU again, but I don't want them doing the physics, because I know that represents the stagnation, milking and sandbagging of something that I've been wanting for almost a decade.

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
I dont see any logic behind that.

If intel makes it x86, then AMD can run it, via can run it, etc.
If they make it GPU capable, then at least they're getting paid for it in royalties.

It's not about who, but how. If Intel makes it x86 it will happen two things:

1. That it will never reach the heighs that GPU physics would reach. GPUs are always going to be faster (at number crunching) than any x86 based CPU/GPU for the same die area and power consumption. In any case you would need to buy an Intel GPU or AMD start making them, because CPUs will never hold enough power into them. It's not cost effective to add so many ALUs into a CPU, when most of the times they will be idling. And high-end on die GPUs so that you don't need a discrete one (hence the ALUs would be working most of the time), will never happen, because of thermal constraints.

2. Because of the growing importance of physics in games if Havok is used and it is x86 based, the better gaming solution would be an Intel GPU, because at Graphics+Physics it would be faster, although it would be lagging far behind at pure graphics, and would also be lagging in physics if Havok wasn't used and true GPUs from Nvidia and AMD could take advantage of PhysX instead of being forced to adopt Intel's path.

Not to mention that I think it's time for everybody to open the eyes and see that AMD has nothing to do against Intel when it comes to x86, it's ages ahead and I don't think AMD will ever catch on. They will continue being competitive because that's what most benefits Intel, but will never be ahead again.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
It's not about who, but how. If Intel makes it x86 it will happen two things:

1. That it will never reach the heighs that GPU physics would reach. GPUs are always going to be faster (at number crunching) than any x86 based CPU/GPU for the same die area and power consumption. In any case you would need to buy an Intel GPU or AMD start making them, because CPUs will never hold enough power into them. It's not cost effective to add so many ALUs into a CPU, when most of the times they will be idling. And high-end on die GPUs so that you don't need a discrete one (hence the ALUs would be working most of the time), will never happen, because of thermal constraints.

2. Because of the growing importance of physics in games if Havok is used and it is x86 based, the better gaming solution would be an Intel GPU, because at Graphics+Physics it would be faster, although it would be lagging far behind at pure graphics, and would also be lagging in physics if Havok wasn't used and true GPUs from Nvidia and AMD could take advantage of PhysX instead of being forced to adopt Intel's path.

Not to mention that I think it's time for everybody to open the eyes and see that AMD has nothing to do against Intel when it comes to x86, it's ages ahead and I don't think AMD will ever catch on. They will continue being competitive because that's what most benefits Intel, but will never be ahead again.
Thats a LOT assumption and a pessimistic view on your part Dark. Almost everything happening points to just the opposite of what you just said. A year ago people were saying AMD was done for and buying ATI was a huge mistake. Now look where we are.

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
Thats a LOT assumption and a pessimistic view on your part Dark. Almost everything happening points to just the opposite of what you just said. A year ago people were saying AMD was done for and buying ATI was a huge mistake. Now look where we are.

And where are we?? Phenom II has a hard time even competing with Intels 2 years old hardware that had been sandbagged to begin with. Now Intel's Nehalem is somewhere 30% faster clock for clock and even with the restrictions they have put in place to hold back overclocking they still overclock like a charm. The die area of Nehalem is the same as that of Phenom 2, so it's actually cheaper to produce for Intel because of their much bigger fabs. If Intel wanted or needed, they could make anything from creating much faster Nehalems to lowering the price to a lower point than AMD if they trully required that.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
And where are we?? Phenom II has a hard time even competing with Intels 2 years old hardware that had been sandbagged to begin with. Now Intel's Nehalem is somewhere 30% faster clock for clock and even with the restrictions they have put in place to hold back overclocking they still overclock like a charm. The die area of Nehalem is the same as that of Phenom 2, so it's actually cheaper to produce for Intel because of their much bigger fabs. If Intel wanted or needed, they could make anything from creating much faster Nehalems to lowering the price to a lower point than AMD if they trully required that.

Wow the R&D behind Nehalem must have been free then. As for the Phenom II having a hard time competing I think you better research thier intended performance bracket. The Phenom II is mopping the floor with Intel. Its an overachiever when it comes to games also. In gaming it goes toe to toe with the i7. I wont even go into ATIs end of things. So yeah we are FAR better off than we were a year ago. The future looks bright!

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
Wow the R&D behind Nehalem must have been free then. As for the Phenom II having a hard time competing I think you better research thier intended performance bracket. The Phenom II is mopping the floor with Intel. Its an overachiever when it comes to games also. In gaming it goes toe to toe with the i7. I wont even go into ATIs end of things. So yeah we are FAR better off than we were a year ago. The future looks bright!

There's a time when you have to come back to reality. AMD is better now than one year ago, but I don't see the bright future you talk about. I want to see it, but I'm too realist for that.

I'm sorry for you, really. Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for those stocks? I was close to buy 4000€ in AMD stock around 18 months ago for $7-8 or so I think, and I'm so happy that I didn't... uff I dodged that one by a hair. :ohwell:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
There's a time when you have to come back to reality. AMD is better now than one year ago, but I don't see the bright future you talk about. I want to see it, but I'm too realist for that.

I'm sorry for you, really. Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for those stocks? I was close to buy 4000€ in AMD stock around 18 months ago for $7-8 or so I think, and I'm so happy that I didn't... uff I dodged that one by a hair. :ohwell:

:laugh: Any stock right now is shot. However I've been buying into all kinds of things. 5 years from now people are going to be kicking themselves. Patience is key. Stocks never reflect the moral of a good company. Only negative press. Right now AMD is producing some great press. If this continues stocks will rise. How do you think Apple survived?

FYI me owning a part of AMD has nothing to do with my views. I used to own an 8800 on my old gaming system ;)

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

The Phenom is not mopping the floor with Intel. You need to double check that. The only thing it really keeps up with Intel in is encoding and gaming. And it only keeps up in gaming because current titles are limited by the gpu, not the cpu. AMD is still behind clock for clock. It's only equal in some tasks. To put that into perspective tho, they are now just starting to catch up to a 2 year old design. Compared to i7, Phenom II loses everywhere.

Yes, AMD made a step in the right direction, and they are now competitive in their bracket, but I doubt they'll pass Intel up in performance any time in the next couple of years. Intel has a much larger R&D budget.

ShadowFold

System Name The ShadowFold Draconis (Ordering soon)
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX ATi Radeon HD 5850 1gb
Storage Western Digital 640gb
Display(s) Acer 21.5" 5ms Full HD 1920x1080P
Case Antec Nine-Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Creative "Fatal1ty" Headset
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores -❶-❸-❸-❼-
Well that's kinda cool. I want to see some videos of this destruction tho :D

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
I think nVidia should port Physx to use OpenCL.

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
I don't see anything in that link, just PR. I thought there would be a video there. I have seen the videos in Havok's page though and are not impressive at all. I'll stay with PhysX thank you.

FryingWeesel

Also DX11 or OpenCL doesn't change anything. Nvidia can and will adapt PhysX to DX11/OpenCL when Win 7 launches too. Remember that it took them 3 months to adapt PhysX to CUDA. It won't take much more to adapt it to any other API.

And maybe I'm wrong, but when that happens, it's going to be very interesting, because Ati cards will be able to play PhysX, with AMD's permission or without. The only requirement for PhysX will be a card capable of running DX11 compute shaders then and AMD cards will do so. It will matter very little if AMD wants PhysX on their cards or not, unless they do something shaddy, they will not be able to prevent that.

The one that will win this game is the one that gets better support now and IMHO that's PhysX at the moment.

yeah, PhysX is getting better support and is being used far more then havoc, mostly because intel dont really want gpu enhanced phisics they want to keep everything on the cpu.

i dont see it taking them that long honestly, i would bet nvidia is already working on the project maby only a couple people but fact is if they get started early they can put it out either early or on the day dx11 is avalable.

also from what i have read this is NOT TIED TO dx11 shaders, so you wont have to replace your 8800+ or hd2k+ card to use it(hell even the x1900/1950 are acctualy capable of this kinda work)

The prospecs is exciting to me, if only both companys would grow up and realise they need to team up against intel (main company driving this "keep everything on the cpu" BS)

IF ati/amd and nvidia could work togather in at least a limmited fassion they could take some of the wind out of intels sails, i mean it wouldnt be perfect but at least amd/ati and NV onboard could be used as a ppu, think about it, again not "optimal" but if all boards had onboard that could support physx(780/790gx and nvidia equivlants),

blah......just blah!!

I don't see anything in that link, just PR. I thought there would be a video there. I have seen the videos in Havok's page though and are not impressive at all. I'll stay with PhysX thank you.

You see Havok video or HavokFX video?

FryingWeesel

I think nVidia should port Physx to use OpenCL.

I would bet you they are already working on it, if havoc can run on openCL then nvidias gonna want a peice of that action and the ability to have their physx do the same thing and work on the same hardware.

I would bet you start seeing other phisics engines moving to support opencl as well, it just makes sence to support it if avalable.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
I would bet you they are already working on it, if havoc can run on openCL then nvidias gonna want a peice of that action and the ability to have their physx do the same thing and work on the same hardware.

I would bet you start seeing other phisics engines moving to support opencl as well, it just makes sence to support it if avalable.

That's my take on it. But I get this feeling it won't happen. nvidia really likes to lock their technologies to their hardware for some reason. Presumably to help their hardware sales. I'm hoping that Physx doesn't provide enough hardware demand that they have no choice but to port it over to OCL.

FryingWeesel

well, nvidia wants physx to be top dog, they where even trying to help those people make a port for ati cards(the one that turned out to be vaporware)

for nvidia pushing physx would have no downside really, even if its allowing support over opencl, their cuda based implementation would be more optimzied anyway, after all they own the engine, they could make sure it just runs better on their cards then on opencl based cards.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
well, nvidia wants physx to be top dog, they where even trying to help those people make a port for ati cards(the one that turned out to be vaporware)

for nvidia pushing physx would have no downside really, even if its allowing support over opencl, their cuda based implementation would be more optimzied anyway, after all they own the engine, they could make sure it just runs better on their cards then on opencl based cards.

Yeah, that's a way to look at it too, i suppose.

I will say, Physx is actually one thing I miss about owning an nv card. But then again, I really like GRAW and GRAW2 a lot.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Game devs will have a simple choice

Nv physx, that only works on G92 and newer cards

Havok, that works on ATI cards (2k and up)

Now its a tough choice - comes down to whatevers easiest to code, or cheapest to use. If one of them goes openCL and becomes viable on both brands, that engine takes the lead - no alienating your customer base.

FryingWeesel

Game devs will have a simple choice

Nv physx, that only works on G92 and newer cards

Havok, that works on ATI cards (2k and up)

Now its a tough choice - comes down to whatevers easiest to code, or cheapest to use. If one of them goes openCL and becomes viable on both brands, that engine takes the lead - no alienating your customer base.

um, from what i reammber g80 card can now run physx(any cuda compatable card can) so even older 8800's can support physx.

as to havok vs physx, they both got their flaws and advanteges, as i have said b4, As I understand it nvidia is giving physx away
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/physx.html
infact they are!!!

physx has gone "licence free" this makes it more attractive to developers then havok thats owned by intel and thus requiers them to get a licence from intel to use/support it.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
G80 and up!

screwup on my part, i was getting confused because i've been using coreAVC, and its G92 and up.

FryingWeesel

A little info/show of what hardware physx can do.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-275-review-test/7

Ambient Occlusion
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-275-review-test/6

AO perf hit in games i have tested it in has been pretty low on my 8800gts 512mb as long as im using the 185.66 drivers, older drivers the hit was higher, would guess that the perf hit will go down even more as the drivers mature more :)

WoW for example looks amazing with AO enabled, shadows acctualy are NICE, NwN2 looks better, as well as some other older games I have tested.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Whatever happen to this? I have yet to see any GPU accelerated physics on ATI.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Whatever happen to this? I have yet to see any GPU accelerated physics on ATI.

nothing really.

at a guess, game devs are holding off til ATI and Nv have working Direct compute/openCL drivers