• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

System Paging File Help

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I read somewhere that if you have two hard drives, you can set the system managed Page file to the second disk.... it's suppose to be better performance if drive c is reading or writing.

My question.... do i select no paging file for drive c since drive e is now the drive i want the paging file on?

Polarman

System Name Polar's Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II 975BE
Motherboard MSI 890FXA-GD65 (Bios 18.7)
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 Led
Memory Gskill 8GB DDR3-1333 (8,8,8,21)
Video Card(s) MSI HD6870 Hawk
Storage WD Raptor 250 - WD RE4 500GB
Display(s) Samsung T240 (1920 X1200)
Case Silverstone Raven 2
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750 (Red)
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit + SP1
Two hard drives (If you really want to):

1. One static page file on the OS hard drive “C:”
2. Another static page file on the first partition of the second drive.

Note: The sizes should be at least the size of the amount of memory you have. Example: if you have 2 GB of RAM then 2 page files of 2048 MB. This allows for plenty of space and Vista can choose the drive that is least busy when it needs to access the page file.

ALWAYS leave a pagefile on the C: drive.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Two hard drives (If you really want to):

1. One static page file on the OS hard drive “C:”
2. Another static page file on the first partition of the second drive.

Note: The sizes should be at least the size of the amount of memory you have. Example: if you have 2 GB of RAM then 2 page files of 2048 MB. This allows for plenty of space and Vista can choose the drive that is least busy when it needs to access the page file.

ALWAYS leave a pagefile on the C: drive.
ok :toast:
Thank you.... so take a look at this.... is it set up proper?

d!kmysvck

You don't need a page file on C:, but there might be good reasons for having one that is static - please explain what these are.

I've set up my system with no paging file on c: and system managed file on other drive(s) and it works fine. Plus, if you run up against your pagefile's current limit, having it set to system managed with reduce the chance of a freeze/bsod/etc.

If you set the page file as static and you run out of virtual memory, you have problems. However having too big a page file reduces performance. I'm more concerned with stability so I always go system managed.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
You don't need a page file on C:, but there might be good reasons for having one that is static - please explain what these are.

I've set up my system with no paging file on c: and system managed file on other drive(s) and it works fine. Plus, if you run up against your pagefile's current limit, having it set to system managed with reduce the chance of a freeze/bsod/etc.

If you set the page file as static and you run out of virtual memory, you have problems. However having too big a page file reduces performance. I'm more concerned with stability so I always go system managed.
Is this a question or an answer mate? :wtf:

T

thraxed

If your like me you have an array of drives through the years, your swap file should be on the fastest read/write performance drive you have.

SparkyJJO

System Name Dominator
Processor Core i7-2600k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
Cooling XSPC Raystorm, MCW82, MCR320, DDC 3.2 Petras top, EK150 res
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Radeon 7950
Storage 2x Crucial M4 256GB SSD, 500GB and 1TB Samsung storage
Display(s) Samsung 46" HDTV :D
Case Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 (modded for internal WC)
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
If your like me you have an array of drives through the years, your swap file should be on the fastest read/write performance drive you have.

Ah, so not a good idea to stick my pagefile on my clunky 5 year old maxtor huh :laugh:

d!kmysvck

Is this a question or an answer mate? :wtf:

It was question for polar about advising a fixed pagefile on c:

I have no pf on c: and 4 gig memory but system reallocated from 4 gig to over 6 on just d:

I second the advice about using your fastest drive.

Attachments

• pagefile2.JPG
    pagefile2.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 475
  • pagefile1.JPG
    pagefile1.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 468

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
i set manual sizes, the initial size is the size of my ram and maximum is double, i figure why not.

atm in my rig i only have one drive so C has the page file but on other rigs i always havea secondary set up exactly the same.

dunno if thats exactly proper but i know if anything ive set too much so eh.

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
One issue that i faced by creating the master page file on secondary HDs ,
was that due inactivity , they fall to sleep mode , and the system when was looking to use it,
it was hang for 1-2 seconds .

Never found cure , and stopped doing that .

SparkyJJO

System Name Dominator
One issue that i faced by creating the master page file on secondary HDs ,
was that due inactivity , they fall to sleep mode , and the system when was looking to use it,
it was hang for 1-2 seconds .

Never found cure , and stopped doing that .

Easy cure - don't let the drives go into sleep mode.

d!kmysvck

Easy cure - don't let the drives go into sleep mode.

I'm not sure you were serious, but that's turns out to be good advice. Most wear on bearings comes from stress of spinning up - at least that's what I've read. I don't know if there are any hard stats on that.

zanzabar

Xtreme Refugee
Processor e6850
Motherboard foxconn blackops
Cooling mcr220, mcp355 w/EK v1 g3/8, dtek v2, mcw30
Memory gskill HZ w/micron gts
Video Card(s) 3870
Storage 2x samsung 501j
Display(s) trinitron 24"
Case p180b
Audio Device(s) SBA2 plat pro
Power Supply 750TX
Software server08
why would u want a page file of equal size to your ram, i cut it down to 512MB for vista and server08 and it boots and loads apps faster. this is accomplished by forcing the index service and supper fetch into the ram and not the page file (were it will leave ram if the ram is needed) and windows vista and latter will make a temp fill in c$temp if something needs a larger page file than allotted.

i hardly ever go over 3GB of used ram and post win9x MS dose not recommend hard programming for a swap file so its not needed more than the 512MB that windows needs to swap.

I'm not sure you were serious, but that's turns out to be good advice. Most wear on bearings comes from stress of spinning up - at least that's what I've read. I don't know if there are any hard stats on that.

drives going into sleep save 2W and stop the platters, with the platters stopped the drive gets cold and wont lubricate as well as if it stays spinning at low rpm and puts more stress on the drive spinning up from stop. and the main drive killer that ive seen is heat, having a drive over 50c is bad and under 20-25c is also bad so HDD coolers and other things that people buy for 7200rpm drives kill their drives more often than making them last longer

SparkyJJO

System Name Dominator

I'm serious. I don't let my drives go to sleep - the wait is annoying - and the 5+ year old maxtor storage drive is still working just fine. It mostly just spins at idle 24/7 except for when I do a data backup to it.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
why would u want a page file of equal size to your ram, i cut it down to 512MB for vista and server08 and it boots and loads apps faster. this is accomplished by forcing the index service and supper fetch into the ram and not the page file (were it will leave ram if the ram is needed) and windows vista and latter will make a temp fill in c$temp if something needs a larger page file than allotted.

i hardly ever go over 3GB of used ram and post win9x MS dose not recommend hard programming for a swap file so its not needed more than the 512MB that windows needs to swap.

drives going into sleep save 2W and stop the platters, with the platters stopped the drive gets cold and wont lubricate as well as if it stays spinning at low rpm and puts more stress on the drive spinning up from stop. and the main drive killer that ive seen is heat, having a drive over 50c is bad and under 20-25c is also bad so HDD coolers and other things that people buy for 7200rpm drives kill their drives more often than making them last longer
so your saying to disable the paging file to the second hd and set the primary disk to 512mb?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Depends on what you have on the second drive. If like me i have my apps\ games on it so the page goes on C this way when a game needs the pagefile max speed is done as it's getting data of the both of them.

How ever IF my games were on C then of course i'd have my page file on D.. But don't do it that way due to way as it saves me installing most of my apps and games :).

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Depends on what you have on the second drive. If like me i have my apps\ games on it so the page goes on C this way when a game needs the pagefile max speed is done as it's getting data of the both of them.

How ever IF my games were on C then of course i'd have my page file on D.. But don't do it that way due to way as it saves me installing most of my apps and games :).
ok what i've done is set paging file to the sata main c drive to 512mb..... the 2nd drive paging is off since my games are on it... ya know about games for windows key code is only good for 10 times usage?..... it saves me when i do a fresh os install on the c drive

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
oh and i should say im using 1 sata hhd as well as in ide drive that hold my back ups and games
soooo is this rite?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
ok what i've done is set paging file to the sata main c drive to 512mb..... the 2nd drive paging is off since my games are on it... ya know about games for windows key code is only good for 10 times usage?..... it saves me when i do a fresh os install on the c drive

I personally always ran into issue's having a fixed pagefile sooner or later so not tried one for over a year or so.

But to my understanding a fixed pagefile with 6GB of ram you should be using 6+GB pagefile settings. but yes i think the pagefile would be better of on the C drive in your case but you should test it out with a few games and see IF there is any loading difference.

Games for windows key code ?. what code..

oh and i should say im using 1 sata hhd as well as in ide drive that hold my back ups and games
soooo is this rite?

One of my HDD's are IDE which is all so used as a back so rarely used it all so has XP X64 on it to just in case some thing goes bad with my raid setup.

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Processor Intel i7 2600K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3)
Cooling Noctua nh-u12p se2
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz 9-10-9-27
Video Card(s) POWERCOLOR HD 7970 3GB
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD / 2*320GB WDC RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 226BW 21" 1650*1080
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Professional PCI
Power Supply OCZ PC Power & Cooling 860W
Software Windows 7 x64
Any Body? :respect:

I have two seperate Physical HDD's and found that having two Paging Files running was causing quite a bit of microstutter in my gaming performance.

I turned off the Paging File for my D drive leaving only the C functional.

I have 4 GB RAM so I set my paging file to min & max 6GB RAM as I understand 1.5* system ram is the optimal number to set your paging file to.

hth.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
the problem with letting the system manage the page file is you will end up with more defragmented files as the page file grows and shrinks,

you should set a min page file size of say the same size of your ram and then double it and add just a bit more for the maximum size so you wont run into problems running out of ram.

or the smart thing to do is to watch the amount of total ram your system use's and modify your page file to suite.