• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
well in F@H gpu's fold alot faster it seams. thats why i asked

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Motherboard ASROCK Z390 TAICHI
Cooling COUGAR HELOR 360 AIO
Memory 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 ULTRA
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG STRIX 4K UG27UQR
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Audio Device(s) STEELSERIES ARCTIS 7 WIRELESS
Power Supply EVGA SUPERNOVA G+ 1000
Mouse STEELSERIES RIVAL 600
Keyboard STEELSERIES APEX 7 TKL
Software WINDOWS 10 ENTERPRISE
Benchmark Scores WUT
I need to get back in this soon! I would have good numbers if I didn't rebuild than have my Internet take a crap on me.

4x4n

Xtreme Refugee
Processor 3950x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling Custom water
Memory 4x8gb Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro RX580
Storage Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Asus 24"
Case Phanteks Evolve X
Power Supply Seasonic 650
Ok!! lads you have twisted my arm, I am going to throw a couple of my old Opty's at this ...will fold with the GPU's and CRUNCH with them and see how it goes..

Anyone know if there is any difference from using the folding SMP client and this, more or less the same or will it effect the GPU's folding??

A little different from smp. You use boinc for wcg, and the gpu2 client for your gpu's. Just make sure that you set priority to slightly higher (on the last tab when you run the config) when you set up the gpu client, and you will not take any points hit for f@h. I have several rigs running wcg on the cpu and f@h on the gpu.

123bob

Xtreme Refugee
well in F@H gpu's fold alot faster it seams. thats why i asked

I can say with certainty that my lone GTX260 scores lots of BOINC points in a day with GPUGrid. A lot more than a single quad machine. The trick is whether a BOINC points made by doing the science at GPUGrid is equivalent to crunching a CPU WU at WCG. That I don't know.

As far as the number of WUs run, the GPUGrid WUs are bigger than the ones I crunch at WCG. So they take longer to crunch for a given number of WUs, but you get a heck of a lot more points for it.

I suppose that may have an answer if GPU crunching comes to WCG. I am prepared to upgrade the GPUs in all my farm machines if it proves worthwhile. Heck, I'm running old 90's vintage Virge cards in a lot of the farm machines now. We have folks that run totally headless, with no graphics card. They control the machines remotely.

What I do know is that the more hardware we can bring to the picture, on any project, the better all the projects will do, and the more good we can contribute to the world. :toast:

Bob

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh, WQHD Computer Monito
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
ok guys. I put my AMD rig back on air for now and got it ready to crunch away. However this is all the WCG manager does. doesn't start to crunch. Any advise??

Woo, as of now we are ranked 1525!:rockout: Link

@ Chicken Patty - I think I had that problem before, all I did to fix it was uninstall BOINC and re-install it, then it started working again, so I guess try that. If that doesn't work then idk.

Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh, WQHD Computer Monito
Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro
Woo, as of now we are ranked 1525!:rockout: Link

@ Chicken Patty - I think I had that problem before, all I did to fix it was uninstall BOINC and re-install it, then it started working again, so I guess try that. If that doesn't work then idk.

thanks.

I'll give that shot :toast:

Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro
just installed and reinstalled. No good! :(

123bob

Xtreme Refugee
Might also be a firewall issue? IIRC, I had to allow boinc through the firewall on a few rigs. I'm thinking that was back when I was running server 03 on the rigs. I run Vista 64 bit on everything now.

What op system?

I know for sure when you are running a remote monitoring program like BoincView, to manage a farm, port 31416 has to be opened on the target machine.

The re-install suggestion may clear it up too. Don't know. If it doesn't, poke into your firewall and see if boinc is listed as allowed.

Bob

Whoops, crossed posts with you CP...

Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro
Might also be a firewall issue? IIRC, I had to allow boinc through the firewall on a few rigs. I'm thinking that was back when I was running server 03 on the rigs. I run Vista 64 bit on everything now.

What op system?

I know for sure when you are running a remote monitoring program like BoincView, to manage a farm, port 31416 has to be opened on the target machine.

The re-install suggestion may clear it up too. Don't know. If it doesn't, poke into your firewall and see if boinc is listed as allowed.

Bob

Whoops, crossed posts with you CP...

its my bench rig, no firewall, Windows security center is disabled. Any other suggestions. Re installing it didnt work neither :( dammit I wanted to have both rigs crunching.

123bob

Xtreme Refugee
Is regular internet working? IPCONFIG look OK? Op sys? I may have some cavalry headed over the hill to help on this too....

Bob

Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro
Is regular internet working? IPCONFIG look OK? Op sys? I may have some cavalry headed over the hill to help on this too....

Bob

everything works fine bro. what is OP sys?

123bob

Xtreme Refugee
Operating system. Vista, XP and such.

While we are at it, what BOINC version are you running? If you click "advanced" view, it's under the Help>About menu selection.

We'll try our best to get you going tonight....I know how I am when I get a stuck machine. It's near 2 am your way...

Bob

T

twilyth

could you go into advanced view (lower right) and give a screen shot - might be more information.

If BOINC can't see the internet but everything else can, then something has to be wrong with BOINC - since no firewall, antivirus, anti-spyware etc is loaded.

Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro
sorry guys, I shut the rig down already, imma hit the sack. I'll get you guys the screenshot tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the help however :toast:

T

twilyth

I don't think that is a good idea man. All those wasted CPU cycles are going to haunt your dreams. And then there are all of the kittens that will die. Can you live with that on your conscience?:cool: :rolleyes:

123bob

Xtreme Refugee
hehe....The cavalry is here....via every comm system the forum has to offer....

Thx guys....:toast:

CP, If you want to pick this up tomorrow, fine. It just shows you have more sense than we probably do.....:laugh:

123bob

Xtreme Refugee
SOAPBOX WARNING> OK, here's perfect example of why a sub-forum is needed. We tried to help out CP with a problem, and put a bunch of posts up. This particular post has to do with my post #154, and Fits post #151, etc......It's clear down in post #168.

If I stick this info in an edit on my post #154, it may be lost, due to the in-between posts on other topics. It won't be seen..... This is on the topic of the technicals of BOINC and it's point system, and how it was designed. Crunching (and folding) can be very complex, requiring different threads to keep it straight......:eek:>SOAPBOX OVER

>>Possible temporary solution? Make threads in whatever the best section is for TPU WCG to live in, and begin the title of every thread with "TPU WCG", no matter what the rest of the title says. That way, you could search the forum for TPU WCG and get all the threads you need. That might make this doable in the present circumstances? <<

OK, now to my post. There is a VERY good article that goes really deep in BOINC point calculation. I could not find that particular paper since our home is busted. We had a thread on it.... I will come back and link it when I go home. For now, I looked at BOINC's home page and found this technical paper here. It's about how BOINC was formulated. It has very good background for those with a technical bent. (I'm a Staff Electrical Engineer on the day job, so I get stuck reading this kind of stuff...can't help it....:eek:)

What we do can be treated very simply on the surface for those who do not want to dig too deep. On the other hand, it can get VERY technically complex if one desires to know the nuances of it. The key for the folks you encounter while you build your team is to be able to point them the right places when the questions come. Some questions are easy, some are not. :End of my actual post info

In the case of CP's problem tonight, there is a simple solution that I KNOW I came across before, I just could not pull it up right away. (And yes, it was frustrating to me. I had to call up the cavalry to come and help...:toast:) That's what the team is for, with the right thread structure. T, and others in the cav, have seen this before too. It just shows that anyone can be stumped for an answer, anytime. What good thread management allows is to cut through the BS and find the magic search words.

Don't get me wrong, we XS WCG team refugees are probably world famous at taking a thread off topic...;) I have not done that here, since we are your guests. :up: (A "thumbs up" in XS emoticonage..)

Allright, enough. I seem to be famous for writing "books" on XS too.....:banghead::D Sorry!

Regards,
Bob

Last edited:

123bob

Xtreme Refugee
Yee-Hahh! 1,374th place with the morning update!! Here.

Go team, go!

Also, sorry for the "book" above..... Sometimes I get too serious about this stuff...:p It is interesting stuff though.

Keep on crunching!!

Bob

Holy crap Bob!!! LMAO!! @ your book!

Way to go guys!! Moving up really quick now. I can only stay on here for maybe another week. I cant loose my 49th spot @ XS. I have a few guys breathing down my neck....:(

Even thought the points dont matter, its much more fun to talk shit. :)

123bob

Xtreme Refugee
Holy crap Bob!!! LMAO!! @ your book!

Way to go guys!! Moving up really quick now. I can only stay on here for maybe another week. I cant loose my 49th spot @ XS. I have a few guys breathing down my neck....:(

Even thought the points dont matter, its much more fun to talk shit. :)

Hehe, Fallwind will likely run me over, but it's all good. :up: I was about to run over SS, so I pulled off the road for a bit.

Bob

<------WOW, two stars now!!:rockout:

@ Hicks below.....To avoid spamming more, I'll put my reply here......:laugh: Yup, that's me!

Last edited:
System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
alright i just added 2 more computers...equally 6 in all for me...that should add a lil boost!! BURN BABY BURN!!!

SparkyJJO

System Name Dominator
Processor Core i7-2600k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
Cooling XSPC Raystorm, MCW82, MCR320, DDC 3.2 Petras top, EK150 res
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Radeon 7950
Storage 2x Crucial M4 256GB SSD, 500GB and 1TB Samsung storage
Display(s) Samsung 46" HDTV :D
Case Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 (modded for internal WC)
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
Spammer!!!

Runs & hides....wheres the couch!!!

I hit 2 stars a little while ago :D

I noticed there is no :sofa: around here :eek: