• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Advice on recent build

ForeignLander

Hello to you all.

Long time TPU reader and once forum member but now I went overseas and that's where my problem started.

I built a low end system for myself since I didn't have a pc of my own, working on a shoe-string budget here is what I bought:
CPU Intel E5200
Gigabyte mATX mboard
Kingston value ram 4 GB
WD 320 GB HDD
case+PS+kb+mouse++
Because these were the only ones available and within budget (really the selection in this city is terrible). Total cost about 320$ converted

Now this setup would already work as a net browser, chat, and word processor (I used my LCD TV as a monitor), but I wanted a Videocard.

The choices were and still are terrible: an nvdia 8600gt for 140$?!?! 8500gt for 80$?!?:eek:
So I asked for something else and the man said that he could get an ati 4850 1GB card for 200$...
It sounded like a good deal so I paid a deposit and waited on the morrow to get it.
It turned out to be a Force3D brand card :shadedshu: but I bit the bullet and bought It.

Now my question is: Is this card any good? and is it good for the system I bought or should I return it (iffy) and get another card? It has an Accellero L1 cooler...

Problem is the place is the only passable computer store in the whole area the good ones are about a 2~3 hour drive away and I thought the time and effort wasted to go outweighed the convenience of the store.

Any advice? comments? you can laugh at my decisions if you want...
I'm in Jubail K.S.A.

ps. The build was working just fine. was going to overclock it but this morning I connected an internal card reader then the PC wouldn't start:confused:
couldn't find the cause because I had to go to work :banghead: Will post if anything happens.

Darren

System Name Cheap yet powerful gaming and entertainment rig!
Processor AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 Windsor, 1 MB L2 Cache (512k L2 Per Core), 65W Energy efficient, 2GHz @ 2.78 Ghz
Motherboard Asrock ALiveNF7G-HD720p Rev v5.0
Cooling Freezer 64, 2x120mm, 1x92mm
Memory 8 GB DDRII PC6400 @ 929 MHz OCZ (2GBx4) timing: 5-5-5-5-16-2T
Video Card(s) XFX ATI4830
Storage Seagate 320 GB SATA (16 MB Cache)
Display(s) 19' HannsG (1440x900 @ 75hz)
Case Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Case
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian, Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver 7.1 with DD/DD EX/Prologic II/DTS/DTS-ES//DTS: Neo
Power Supply Cool Master eXtreme Power 460W PSU
Software Vista Ultimate X64 Corporate Edition
Although I do not approve of the Force3D Brand, the ATI 4850 is a fantastic gaming card. What I’m confused about is why did you purchase a mid-range gaming card if playing games isn't on the agenda? You said it is for "net browser, chat, and word processor" in which case any cheap video card is enough.

I'd say keep the graphics cards and buy some games, as that is the 4850s true purpose. I wouldn't bother OC'ing it, it is fast enough. If anything I'd overclock the E5200 because sitting at stock they are average performers.

Last edited:

ForeignLander

Thanks for your reply.

Well I did buy the parts for a cheap net browser, but I knew that dropping a Graphics card would allow me to play games at decent resolutions and settings. I just wasn't willing to buy those overpriced cards the store was selling.

It was the first time for me to try the Force3D brand and even on the internet there was no review or mention (just on the company site) of this card. Although from what I got it has a non-reference cooler.

So I'm looking for confirmation on this card and for the build itself.

ps. the build works again, just not compatible with the card reader. Wont try to OC until I get a decent enough PS.

System Name The Lizard v2.4
Processor Intel Celeron G1840 (for the time being
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81-S2PH
Cooling Intel Stock Fan
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 750Ti (For the time being)
Storage 500GB Samsung F1, 160GB Maxtor "Older than god"
Display(s) AOC 28' LCD
Case Coolermaster N200
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec VP500P
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores No crashes in the last 24 minutes.
140 a 8600gt? and i tought price of here were bad. still no matter what brant, a 4850 is a damn good card, better if its 1gb version

ForeignLander

Yup 140$ for and 8600gt...
I think its because they bought it long ago when the prices were high and couldn't lower the reselling cost. i.e. the prices reflect the launch prices of the cards because there isn't a market here for such items.

The CPU, memory, mboard, HDD etc have quick turn around so that is probably why the cost is within reason.

The card is 1GB and it seems to function well in games (no undue noise, over heating) of course about the only game I have that taxes the card is the Orange Box (played everything maxed no prob)

Even the CPU is not taxed as much. Will buy games this weekend to "test" the system.

Any good RPG's I should look out for? I've been out of circulation for months now.

ForeignLander

Double posted due to network error and general network shittiness. sorry.

Last edited:

Darren

System Name Cheap yet powerful gaming and entertainment rig!
Processor AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 Windsor, 1 MB L2 Cache (512k L2 Per Core), 65W Energy efficient, 2GHz @ 2.78 Ghz
Motherboard Asrock ALiveNF7G-HD720p Rev v5.0
Cooling Freezer 64, 2x120mm, 1x92mm
Memory 8 GB DDRII PC6400 @ 929 MHz OCZ (2GBx4) timing: 5-5-5-5-16-2T
Video Card(s) XFX ATI4830
Storage Seagate 320 GB SATA (16 MB Cache)
Display(s) 19' HannsG (1440x900 @ 75hz)
Case Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Case
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian, Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver 7.1 with DD/DD EX/Prologic II/DTS/DTS-ES//DTS: Neo
Power Supply Cool Master eXtreme Power 460W PSU
Software Vista Ultimate X64 Corporate Edition
Yup 140$ for and 8600gt...
I think its because they bought it long ago when the prices were high and couldn't lower the reselling cost. i.e. the prices reflect the launch prices of the cards because there isn't a market here for such items.

The CPU, memory, mboard, HDD etc have quick turn around so that is probably why the cost is within reason.

The card is 1GB and it seems to function well in games (no undue noise, over heating) of course about the only game I have that taxes the card is the Orange Box (played everything maxed no prob)

Even the CPU is not taxed as much. Will buy games this weekend to "test" the system.

Any good RPG's I should look out for? I've been out of circulation for months now.

I'm not too familiar with RPG games, but I do recommend the following games:

Bioshock - horror FPS
COD:WAW - WW3 FPS
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - FPS
Tombraider Underworld - Adventure

also consider:

Left 4 Dead
Fallout 3

Take a look at the gaming section for inspiration

http://forums.techpowerup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Edit:

Force3D aka inno3d aka not so good. I had one 4830 for about 3 min on ati tool artifact scanned and it died.

I didn't realise that Force 3D and Inno 3D was the same company? My Inno 3D 9600 GT died recently and I RMA'd it. I just ordered a XFX 4830 yesterday :)

Either way, for the threadstarter...the ATI 4850 is a good card regardless what brand makes it. Sapphire would of been a better choice though, but hey its a recession.

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Warhammer, Company of Heroes, Crysis and Fear...any versions just to game.

My votes for games.:)

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
Force3D aka inno3d aka not so good. I had one 4830 for about 3 min on ati tool artifact scanned and it died.

troyrae360

System Name My Computer!
Processor AMD 6400+ Black @ 3.5
Motherboard Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA790X DS4
Cooling Gigabyte G-Power 2 pro
Memory 2x2 gig Adata 800
Video Card(s) HD3870x2 @ 900gpu and 999mem
Storage 2x wd raid edition 120gig + 1 samsung 320 + samsung 250
Display(s) Samsung 40inch series6 full HD 1080p
Case NZXT Lexa
Audio Device(s) ALC889A HD audio with Enables a Superior Audio Experience (on board)
Power Supply Vantec ION2+ 550w
Software Vista Home pream 64
Try Fallout 3 its a pretty damn good RPG

ForeignLander

Force3D = Inno 3D?!?

Now that's a shocker!

Bought a few Inno 3D based nvidia cards for friends back in my home country.
Always felt that the brand left alot to be desired in terms of build quality not to mention add-ins.
Promised myself never to go that cheap for myself...

And look what I bought.

For those who recommended games, thank you.
Will go to the bookstore (the only place to find legal games) this weekend to buy games.

ForeignLander

Force3D = Inno 3D?!?

Now that's a shocker!

Bought a few Inno 3D based nvidia cards for friends back in my home country.
Always felt that the brand left alot to be desired in terms of build quality not to mention add-ins.
Promised myself never to go that cheap for myself...

And look what I bought.

For those who recommended games, thank you.
Will go to the bookstore (the only place to find legal games) this weekend to buy games.

Arrrrrgggghh.........

Last edited: