• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

repeated hard disk clicks when system idle

Logos

guys I don't know if any of you ever had the issue, or have heard of it: as far as I know, this problem only happens on laptops, and when the system is idle. That's a power management issue, most likely originated in the bios somewhere. the hard disk heads are being re-parked again and again. That's really upsetting and this is supposed to save energy. Hard disks have a limited (to about 600.000 IRRC) number of load cycles, and the issue is ridiculously making their life cycle shorter.

I first had the issue in Linux (clicks every ten seconds). There are may threads about it in Linux forums and I found that adding the line "hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda" in a file called rc.local (located @ /etc/rc.d/rc.local) would solve the problem, at least as long as the laptop is AC powered.

I had this same issue, but to a much lesser degree in Windows, so I didn't mind. But things have changed for some reasons, and now the clicks happen more and more often in Windows, and I don't like it. The thing is that the OS should override the BIOS to regulate this behavior, and even Windows doesn't seem to that very well. I even tried o switch from AHCI to IDE (before a reinstall of the OS) and nothing changed. So AHCI doesn't seem to be the culprit. But the issue does come from the BIOS: the clicks happen while I'm in it. Hard disk is not damaged, first it's almost new, and second, like I said, I don't have clicks anymore in Linux since I modified that file.

Now, I found a Win32 version of the Linux "hdparm" program, but it seems to require that UAC would be permanently deactivated to work. Even when granted admin rights, hdparm for Windows doesn't have any effect as long as UAC is on...I think; and anyway that's a program for Linux and I for one am surprised that Windows alone can't manage that.

I found tens of threads from people complaining about the same issue, always on laptops, also MAC laptops, others with Dell laptops. It seems to concern only systems with AHCI enabled sata controllers. Any comment or help on this would be appreciated ;)

ps: I have an ACER 5735Z laptop (bios updated to the latest)

edit: just an example of what can be found:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75418
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/104535

edit: I should have added, any change in the power management settings (hard disk section) in Win7 has no impact on that. Also, forgot to say hard disk activity light is flashing very regularly when the system is idle.

Last edited:

Logos

OK I just found that hdparm can actually work fine in Win7 when UAC is not set at maximum.

ps: hdparm was installed with UAC completely deactivated

edit: got the stupid clicks again, UAC or not :D

Last edited:

Logos

Guys I don't want to insist - OK I do insist :D - I'd love to have some feed back about this ;) OK it's the Easter WE...so I'll be patient :)

Logos

look guys, I posted this about 5 days ago, and I'm pretty sure that someone @ TPU knows enough about hard disk power management and AHCI to bring me some useful info on the topic. This is an upsetting issue that affects many laptop users, so any sort of feedback would be appreciated.

System Name HTPC||Lenovo IBM ThinkPad
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 965 stock 3.4GHz||Intel C2D T9300 @ 2.5GHz
Motherboard Zotac 890GX-ITX WiFi||Lenovo 8918CTO
Cooling Stock 3x 120's||Stock stuff
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 6-6-6-15||3GB DDR2
Video Card(s) Asus 3870x2||nVidia Quadro NVS 140M
Storage 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 1x 2TB WD EARX ||Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM
Display(s) Samsung T260HD||
Case SilverStone Grandia GD05||
Audio Device(s) on-board||on-board
Power Supply Cooler Master 450W||6-cell
Software Windows 7 Pro x64||Windows 7 Pro x64/Linux Mint x64
Hate to say it but you may have to get a new hard drive.
Is there any time when the drive doesn't click or hasn't clicked?

Logos

Hate to say it but you may have to get a new hard drive.
Is there any time when the drive doesn't click or hasn't clicked?

yeah, when I acquired it a few weeks ago. Also, as I said in my first post in this thread, I could solve the issue in Linux, and that still works now. So I don't get those clicks at all in Linux, using a fix. I just don't find such fix for Windows. It's a power management issue, not a hard disk failure.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I've had a couple of drives behaving like that, and it's always been a sign of a Dying Drive.

But then it's a pretty new laptop, right?

EDIT: SO it's not a dying drive.

Logos

yeah right, the laptop is about two months old. And I don't have that permanently in Windows either, just sometimes, and obviously only when the disk is idle.

System Name HTPC||Lenovo IBM ThinkPad
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 965 stock 3.4GHz||Intel C2D T9300 @ 2.5GHz
Motherboard Zotac 890GX-ITX WiFi||Lenovo 8918CTO
Cooling Stock 3x 120's||Stock stuff
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 6-6-6-15||3GB DDR2
Video Card(s) Asus 3870x2||nVidia Quadro NVS 140M
Storage 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 1x 2TB WD EARX ||Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM
Display(s) Samsung T260HD||
Case SilverStone Grandia GD05||
Audio Device(s) on-board||on-board
Power Supply Cooler Master 450W||6-cell
Software Windows 7 Pro x64||Windows 7 Pro x64/Linux Mint x64
Have you adjusted any power management options to see if you can get the clicks to subside?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
You're using Windows 7? If it doesn't matter what you set the power management options to, could it be related to a bug?

Logos

You're using Windows 7? If it doesn't matter what you set the power management options to, could it be related to a bug?

oh sorry I really missed your post: yeah I'm on Win7. Could be that the power settings are bugged in the beta that's right. I've already thought about this. I'll know if that's the case when the RC is out pretty soon now ;)

Have you adjusted any power management options to see if you can get the clicks to subside?

yep, changes nothing.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
Get the same thing recently started with my hard drive. Not sure what is the problem though - just sounds like it is always seeking - and always when it's idle.

I'm looking at buying a new hard drive, but if you find a solution i'd love to hear it.

Logos

Get the same thing recently started with my hard drive. Not sure what is the problem though - just sounds like it is always seeking - and always when it's idle.

I'm looking at buying a new hard drive, but if you find a solution i'd love to hear it.

no problem, if I do find something I'll let you know in this thread ;)

bnborg

System Name Hyper-V-One
Processor Phenom II x4 1090T
Motherboard MSI 870A-G54
Cooling 3 fans & stock HSF
Memory 16 GB DDR3 1333 (G-Skill F3-10666CL9-4GBRL)
Video Card(s) Two Radeon HD 4650's in Crossfire
Storage 2x 500 GB mirrored & a 1.5 TB all Seagate SATAII
Display(s) 24" Sceptre LCD
Case Ultra clear side
Audio Device(s) onboard AMD HD Audio
Power Supply 600w OCZ
Software Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Ent., Hyper-V enabled
One thing I would do is perform manufacturers diagnostics on the drive. This will help you tell if it really is the drive.

Most manufacturers have bootable diagnostic iso images available on their websites.

Logos

One thing I would do is perform manufacturers diagnostics on the drive. This will help you tell if it really is the drive.

Most manufacturers have bootable diagnostic iso images available on their websites.

yeah I might try this, but as I said the clicks, after a software fix, don't happen at all in Linux (use to be awful, like every 10 seconds in Linux). I only have the issue in Windows now. It's a bios order I believe, that can be overridden by an operating system power management, as long as this power management works correctly, and that may be is not the case in the version of Windows I use at the moment (Win7).