• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To...Capture, Convert, and Post your PC Game Play Footage II

System Name Ultimate Vortex III
Processor Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8Gb) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
Video Card(s) Asus RX5700-8G Radeon RX 5700
Storage 2 x WD Blue SN550 1Tb NVMe in RAID 0 Striped Set
Display(s) TUF Gaming VG279QL1A 165 Hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Pro 5 ARGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W
Mouse Corsair RGB
Keyboard K70 Rapidfire with Cherry MX Speed
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Okay. I saw the sticky in this forum with it's dead links and I thought well since there is now no thread on how to capture your PC gaming for posting online, and I do this regularly, I thought I'd post a new thread on how to do it. It's actually really easy and you can post in High Definition too!! ;)

First you will need two programs...the first one I'm sure a lot of us gamers have already.

The first is Fraps to capture; or you could use any game capturing software you wish as long as it can save to your HD in .avi format for the processing and compression part. The second is VirtualDub.

If you don't have VirtualDub you can get it here

You will also need to download and install video codecs that do not come with VirtualDub. I recommend the Xvid codec which you can get here

You will also need a lot of available disk space as the raw .avi files Fraps saves to the HD are maximum 3.9Gb (Fraps segment cutoff point is 3.9Gb) for approximately 2 to 4 minutes of gameplay depending on how much is going on in your game while capturing. I will also include steps on how to seamlessly splice 2 .avi files together if your gameplay got split into 2 vids. So here we go.

1. Capturing

First make sure nothing else is running on your computer and start up Fraps. Click the movies tab and make sure your video capture hotkey (the key you will press during gameplay to start Fraps capturing) is not a key used in gameplay of the game you're about to capture. Then set the FPS to 29.97 and screen to full size. See figure 1 below.

Figure 1.:
These are the settings I use.

Now start your game. Just an FYI, The resolution I set my games to is 1680x1050, the same as my monitor resolution (it will guarantee HD processing on Youtube). When your ready to record, hit the hotkey you chose and then play away. The framerate counter in the corner of your screen will turn red indicationg it is now capturing. When done recording hit the hotkey to stop fraps (framerate indicator will return to yellow colour) and then you can use your favourite media player (I use VLC) to review your recordings and either keep them for processing or scrap them. I've noticed that after processing my vids come out a little darker on youtube for some reason so I usually bump up the brightness setting in the game options of the game I want to record.

2. Processing and Compression

The next step is processing and compression, sounds more complicated than it really is.

First, open VirtualDub then click on File>Open video file... and browse to the folder where your captured game file is. By default, Fraps captures them to the C:\Fraps folder. After you chose which your file, virtual dub should show the first frame of the video you just chose as in figure 2.

Figure 2.:
VirtualDub after choosing first captured file

If your gameplay got split into 2 files by Fraps and want to splice the two files together, after already choosing the first one, click File>Append AVI segment... then navigate to the second video capture which is usually just to the right of the first one you chose or just below if you're in list view. After you've chosen it, you will not see it in the VirtualDub window but it is there and ready for processing. If you need to be certain that your 2nd video was indeed appended to the first, look at the amount of frames at the bottom of VirtualDub before appending. There will be almost double the amount after appending. See figures 3 and 4 below.

Figure 3.: Append AVI
segment

Figure 4.: Choose captured segment
next to the one you opened first.

Next we need to choose the processing mode for video. To do this, click Video>Full processing mode. The menu will close. Then again, click Video>Compression and the "select video compression" dialogue box will pop up. In it you will see the Xvid MPEG-4 Codec you downloaded and installed earlier, click it so its highlighted then click the "configure" button. The Xvid configuration dialogue box will pop up. In order to upload in HD we need to change these settings. First, change the Profile @ level dropdown menu to "Highdef" then click the "more..." button next to it...this will open another dialogue box, on the profile tab make sure "Quantization type" is set to "H.263" (see figure 5) then click the Aspect Ratio tab and put a dot in the "Pixel Aspect Ratio" radio button then choose "16:9 NTSC" from the drop down menu (see figure 6)

Fig 5.: Set Quantization type

Fig 6.: Set Aspect Ratio

Then click "ok" to close that dialogue box and go back to the first dialogue box and set "Encoding type" to single pass and then notice in fig 5 above, the button below Encoding type says "Target bitrate (kpbs)" and in fig 6 it says "Target quantizer"? Well when you click that button it toggles between the two of them...for Target bitrate, slide the slider below it all the way the the right to set it at 9708kbps then for Target quantizer slide the slider all the way to the left to "1 (maximum quality)" And finally (were almost done :D) set the Quality preset to real time and then click OK and OK again to close both dialogue boxes and the video compression is now set. The good thing is that VirtualDub will remember these settings for your next project but just check them to make sure.

Now it's time to set the audio compression. That's if you choose to keep the game audio of course.

So click the Audio button from the tools menu and then click Full processing mode. The Menu will close. Click it again then click "Compression..." Then select MPEG Layer-3 to highlight it in the "Select audio compression" dialogue box then click OK to close it.

All that is left to do is start the processing by clicking File>Save as AVI... rename your video and save it to a convenient location and VirtualDub will now compress your 2 captured vids from 7.8Gb to a high quality AVI file of approximately 500Mb in size. Once it's done, watch it for approval and then upload it to youtube or your favourite video upload site!!!! Ta Da!!! :toast: You done!

I would like to add that I usually append three 3.9 Gb files together and the output is about 6-7 minutes of gameplay and size is about 500-700Mb

Last edited:
System Name Dell Workstation t5810
Processor Xeon CPU's E5-2683 v4 Broadwell-E Technology
Motherboard Broadwell-E X99
Cooling Default fan System Level 3
Memory 48GB DDR4
Video Card(s) ASRock Vega 56 8GB
Storage 4 External SSD, 4 External HDD
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Case Dell Precision 7810 Case
Audio Device(s) RealTek High Definition
Power Supply 825 Watts PSU
Mouse Soundless Black Quiet Mouse
Keyboard Dell Black
Software Windows Pro 10 x64
Where is your youtube channel?

Nice information. I guess people do things different from others, here is how i do it,

I set it to 25 fps, and record half screen, and use the ffdshow compression, save to avi, 29mb or 50mb is my limit. I hate recording and uploading long videos.

Mouse Corsair RGB
Where is your youtube channel?

Right here... My Youtube channel

I just got my new rig just under 3 months ago so I've been tweaking mostly and noe only getting into serious gaming and posting on youtube. Took me a while to figure out the High definition thing but I was happy when I finally got it. I always appreciate when others showcase their gameplay in HD and I find it annoying when people use digital cameras to record as it doesn't capture the full quality of the graphics detail.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I just use FRAPS and Windows Media Encoder X64 edition which is also free. ;) Excellent guide though! :toast:

Mouse Corsair RGB
EM Game Capture also could do it.
frankly speaking , E.M. Free Game Capture is more powerful than fraps.

it capturing games when you are playing games
it recording changes of desktop
it supports different video formats(avi, flv, mkv, iPod , iPhone and so on)

Freeware ...

http://www.effectmatrix.com/Game-Capture/index.htm

Thanks videospot. I've been looking for a program that will capture what I'm doing on my desktop. I'll look into it. :toast:

As you know, in the computer world, (and Windows is a perfect example) there is always 15 ways to do one thing. This tutorial was meant as a guideline for the PC gamer who wants to showcase their gameplay on Youtube or other video upload site. Furthermore, Youtube has the option to showcase your videos in High definition, however there is a certain format Youtube requires and this tutorial covers how to achieve that format. :)

Mouse Corsair RGB
I just use FRAPS and Windows Media Encoder X64 edition which is also free. ;) Excellent guide though! :toast:

Thanks erocker. Let's make it a sticky if enough people like it. I will maintain and update it regularly. I'm also learning Virtual dub and have began playing with other settings such as the filtering during processing. I'll include an advanced filtering section as I learn and as time permits of course.

Any input is welcome as well folks!! :D

Also, is it possilble to have the title of this thread changed to include "in High Definition"?

Mouse Corsair RGB
Memory 48GB DDR4
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Keyboard Dell Black
Mouse Corsair RGB
Memory 48GB DDR4
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Keyboard Dell Black
Why not upload in HighDef??

I didn't know how to do it. I use VD and that ffshow , sometimes after uploading to youtube , you can view the video in HQ. But i will look into the HD thing soon. I am able to watch them just fine now.

btw, i just watched your video in HD, looks really amazing and moving fast too. :)
I do want to point out tho, watching HD in " fullscreen on youtube " doesn't work. On other sites like CBS it does, but not on youtube for some reason.

Mouse Corsair RGB
I didn't know how to do it. I use VD and that ffshow , sometimes after uploading to youtube , you can view the video in HQ. But i will look into the HD thing soon. I am able to watch them just fine now.

If you follow the guidelines above youtube will automatically process them in HD. There are settings in the Video compression section that you need to change...like setting it to 16:9 aspect ratio and H.263. Not sure if the ffdshow codec has those options but if you download and install the Xvid codecs they are there. Try it out and hope to see your vids widescreen soon!!

btw, i just watched your video in HD, looks really amazing and moving fast too. :)
I do want to point out tho, watching HD in " fullscreen on youtube " doesn't work. On other sites like CBS it does, but not on youtube for some reason.

Thanks! Believe it or not, I'm getting 15-30 fps while capturing with fraps...with a single Radeon HD3870 and while processing the rendering rate is 11 fps average :D and still looks good. I wonder what will change when I get my second 3870 and go CF!!!

And watching HD fullscreen works for me but sometimes you just have to rewind it to the beginning after clicking the HD button, make sure it's running then click fullscreen.

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
Try using a program called WEGAME. It records, edits, and compresses videos automatically. They will also do free hosting for your video. Can also record uncompressed if you so choose.

CyberDruid

System Name Shop Dog
Processor E8400
Motherboard Asus Blitz Formula SE
Cooling d-Tek FuZion
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 G Skill
Video Card(s) EVGA 7900 GTX
Storage 150GB VelociRaptor
Display(s) Acer 21.5 1080p LED Back Lit Monitor
Case Working on it
Audio Device(s) PCI SoundMax
Power Supply Silverstone 750 Modular
Software XP Pro SP2
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 11.56s 1M at 4050mhz
Great guide. If I ever want to embarass myself I'll post up some of my gameplay :p:

Mouse Corsair RGB
Try using a program called WEGAME. It records, edits, and compresses videos automatically. They will also do free hosting for your video. Can also record uncompressed if you so choose.

Thanks 3870x2 (funny, I feel like I'm replying to my GPUs :laugh:) it's always good to have input for other ways to do things. And fraps not being friendly to some computers (lag and such). I do, however like the options I have for processing with Virtual Dub and the Xvid codec. Not sure if wegame can encode with H.263 or H.264 and change brightness and contrast (amongst other effects); Most importantly, following my guide will get you 16:9 aspect ratio and youtube will process it to High Definition widescreen not just HQ (high quality).

Great guide. If I ever want to embarass myself I'll post up some of my gameplay :p:

Haha! I'm already embarrassing myself so you'll be in good company!! :p

Memory 48GB DDR4
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Keyboard Dell Black
I am going to try to hook up some HD video with timeshift in a few hours or so. See how it works out :)

System Name KILLER
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x8GB Gskill 2400mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980
Storage SSD Samsung 500GB
Display(s) 24" Asus 144hz
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply Antec 1200 Watt Modular
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage 51342
W

wolf2009

Thanks videospot. I've been looking for a program that will capture what I'm doing on my desktop. I'll look into it. :toast:

As you know, in the computer world, (and Windows is a perfect example) there is always 15 ways to do one thing. This tutorial was meant as a guideline for the PC gamer who wants to showcase their gameplay on Youtube or other video upload site. Furthermore, Youtube has the option to showcase your videos in High definition, however there is a certain format Youtube requires and this tutorial covers how to achieve that format. :)

that software requires to be registered to record video at more than 15fps.

also to upload to youube in HD, use the res 1280x1024 or resize your video to anything beyond that like 1920x1200.

System Name _Speedforce_ (Successor to Strike-X, 4LI3NBR33D-H, Core-iH7 & Nemesis-H)
Processor Intel Core i9 7980XE (Lapped) @ 5.2Ghz With XSPC Raystorm (Lapped)
Motherboard Asus Rampage VI Extreme (XSPC Watercooled) - Custom Heatsinks (Lapped)
Cooling XSPC Custom Water Cooling + Custom Air Cooling (From Delta 220's TFB1212GHE to Spal 30101504&5)
Memory 8x 8Gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz @ 4667Mhz (2x F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) 3x Asus GTX1080 Ti (Lapped) With Customised EK Waterblock (Lapped) + Custom heatsinks (Lapped)
Storage 1x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB - 2280 (Hyper M.2 x16 Card), 7x Samsung 860 Pro 4Tb
Display(s) 6x Asus ROG Swift PG348Q
Case Aerocool Strike X (Modified)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 & Aurvana XFi Headphones
Power Supply 2x Corsair AX1500i With Custom Sheilding, Custom Switching Unit. Braided Cables.
Mouse Razer Copperhead + R.A.T 9
Keyboard Ideazon Zboard + Optimus Maximus. Logitech G13.
Software w10 Pro x64.
Benchmark Scores pppft, gotta see it to believe it. . .
Virtual Dub supports GPGPU encoding ? How about multiple CPU cores ?
At the moment im using Adobe Elements CS4, only because i get the GPGPU to encode my footage AS im playing. Its draining on my resources ingame, but i have overkill power and dont notice the resource drain.

Memory 48GB DDR4
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Keyboard Dell Black
W

wolf2009

At the moment im using Adobe Elements CS4, only because i get the GPGPU to encode my footage AS im playing. Its draining on my resources ingame, but i have overkill power and dont notice the resource drain.

are you saying that you are getting some GPGPU software to encode your video while recording in game ?

Badaboom can use Nvidia GPU's to encode fraps videos, but the quality is inferior compared to x264 and Xvid codecs

Mouse Corsair RGB
Wow....zbeen busy in here...... Thanks to everybody for your posts and questions and most importantly your input!! I promised I'd keep this alive so here goes...

I am going to try to hook up some HD video with timeshift in a few hours or so. See how it works out :)

Alright u2k, I'll be keeping an eye out for it!!! :D

that software requires to be registered to record video at more than 15fps.

Ya. Not sure about the 15 fps thing, I thought the trial version just puts a watermark...but I'll take your word wolf. Yes it does need to be registered :shadedshu. Break out you paypal accts folks :(, At least it's one time and cheap :). Lucky for me, I have a good "friend"! :rolleyes:

also to upload to youube in HD, use the res 1280x1024 or resize your video to anything beyond that like 1920x1200.

I'll make sure to include the fact that my ingame res is set to 1680x1050 widescreen but just because you capture it that way doesn't mean it's encoded in highdef. I learned that the hard way when I thought one of my vids would end up HD and only turned out HQ :confused: When I figured it out, I searched this forum for other input, found a dead link, hence this sticky. :)

GPGPU encoding? Sheesh!! More stuff to research... :laugh:. Next question. Yes, once you get your raw vid loaded into Virtual Dub and append any other .avi segments, just set your encoding, effects and priority and let your quad core take over. I do listen to music and such while encoding raw fraps videos.

Heres the last one i did a while back with Fraps and Movie maker!!
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=49518506
I gave it a thumbs up, looks good too. :)

Cool vid Asylum...I didn't know COD 5 had Zombies!! :p I agree with u2K, cool vid nice clarity and if I had a myspace account I'd have given it a cool thumbs up too!! :rockout:

Memory 48GB DDR4
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Keyboard Dell Black
I am about to work on it right now, got caught up in playing UT3 for about an hour, i will also post a video of that too, but in HQ.

Peace

Mouse Corsair RGB
I am about to work on it right now, got caught up in playing UT3 for about an hour, i will also post a video of that too, but in HQ.

Peace

Haha!! Excuses, excuses!! Actually, UT3 is a reason. I hope your were dominating with the Darkwalker!!!:rockout: I got some HQ's of UT3 from when I first built this rig....this is my fave: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxAjq-Dgt4 before I figured out how to hd it!! :p

W

wolf2009

I'll make sure to include the fact that my ingame res is set to 1680x1050 widescreen but just because you capture it that way doesn't mean it's encoded in highdef. I learned that the hard way when I thought one of my vids would end up HD and only turned out HQ :confused: When I figured it out, I searched this forum for other input, found a dead link, hence this sticky. :)

GPGPU encoding? Sheesh!! More stuff to research... :laugh:. Next question. Yes, once you get your raw vid loaded into Virtual Dub and append any other .avi segments, just set your encoding, effects and priority and let your quad core take over. I do listen to music and such while encoding raw fraps videos.

You need to have high bitrate too for your video to appear HD on youtube, i normally upload 1280x1024 5mbps stuff to Youtube which turns out nice HD.

Virtualdub doesn't support GPGPU encoding, don't know what that guy was talking about. only badaboom supports gpgpu encoding, and that too is once after you are done recording, not while you are playing