• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel to be Slapped with Greatest Fine in EU History

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
I'm sorry but what? If it was failing so much why does the EU not just conjure up some money from nowhere and put a "Bail-out" label on it and just give it to them. Which the USA did when the "big three" all claimed to be failing. Hmm i wonder...

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Once again, there is the EU trying to "tax" a company to help cover up the huge financial mess they have got themselves into. How politically convenient. And what a nice way to "cover the hole" of the whopping salaries and expense accounts at the EU parliament.

TreadR

If you read the article[...] Dell did it.
Shows how less you know about commerce.

If 9 out of 10 companies buy a product at price and get a discount of 20% for not acquiring the competitor's product as well, and that remaining company gets 0% discount, just the batch price because it wants to serve its clients every option that there is... how do you think it would be able survive? The other 9 co. can just add a 19% profit and that would mean a clear loss for that single one company.

In this situation, and in my view... that's far from fair business!

The Nehalem chipset licensing issue was that nVidia didn't want to pay Intel to license the QPI tech, they want Intel to give it to them and let them use it for free.
No, you're misinformed! AFAIK it was QPI for NF200less-SLI-enabled Intel boards! This way, the mobo manufacturers could choose if they want SLI for 5$ through a soft mod, no SLI at all or the alternative, a 50$ to 100$ NF200 version (price depending on manufacturer) that would enable SLI. That was the deal... but once Intel got their 5$ mod, NV got nothing!

AMD dies, which most speculators believe will happen in some way by 2011
Don't be one of those sorry kids that eats this kind of BS... it's really sad when people do that!
I've heard a enough that AMD dies, goes bankrupt, gets bought, goes tits-up or gets blown up because of financial problems in the last 8 or so years... so far, they are pushing products that a lot of us can afford and are glad it's still here to make a difference.

What happens with the money remains to be seen... so far people can speculate all they want about EU... the show's not over!

So thats how the EU is bailing the banks out.

If only 1bn EUR was anywhere near enough the the world would be so much better. When we live in an environment where the word trillion is used often, you have to appreciate how 1bn is no where near enough to bail out banks.

Really does the EU have nothing better to do than fine everybody :shadedshu

The European Competition Commission has nothing other than to investigate companies and anticompetitive behaviour. Its why it was created.

Morgoth

Fueled by Sapphire
System Name Wopr "War Operation Plan Response"
Processor 5900x ryzen 9 12 cores 24 threads
Motherboard aorus x570 pro
Cooling air (GPU Liquid graphene) rad outside case mounted 120mm 68mm thick
Memory kingston 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ecc 2x16gb
Video Card(s) sapphire RX 6950 xt Nitro+ 16gb
Storage 300gb hdd OS backup. Crucial 500gb ssd OS. 6tb raid 1 hdd. 1.8tb pci-e nytro warp drive LSI
Display(s) AOC display 1080p
Case SilverStone SST-CS380 V2
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 850MX watt
Mouse corsair gaming mouse
Keyboard Microsoft brand
Software Windows 10 pro 64bit, Luxion Keyshot 7, fusion 360, steam
Benchmark Scores timespy 19 104
And both the japanese and korean regulators? What about the FTC? Intel still need to sell their products. Without europe, the US and Japan they pretty much alienate most of the world's wealth.

use multi quote idiot, actealy i dont care
i can still order from us stores

e6600

If only 1bn EUR was anywhere near enough the the world would be so much better. When we live in an environment where the word trillion is used often, you have to appreciate how 1bn is no where near enough to bail out banks.

The European Competition Commission has nothing other than to investigate companies and anticompetitive behaviour. Its why it was created.

anti competitive?
if anything the EU promotes competition... why do you think they are trying to stop an intel monopoly?

without amd, intel would be sitting on $500 multi core P4's at 6ghz LOL

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Shows how less you know about commerce.

If 9 out of 10 companies buy a product at price and get a discount of 20% for not acquiring the competitor's product as well, and that remaining company gets 0% discount, just the batch price because it wants to serve its clients every option that there is... how do you think it would be able survive? The other 9 co. can just add a 19% profit and that would mean a clear loss for that single one company.

In this situation, and in my view... that's far from fair business!

It is perfectly fair because if Company A is offering a discount, then there is nothing stopping Company B from offering a discount either. Again, I see this in my families business all the time, our suppliers constnatly offer us discounts as long as we buy from them only, we don't so we don't get the discounts, but that doesn't mean the offers disappear.

Your ideas are flawed in that you don't take into account the fact that Intel had competition. It isn't an issue of if they didn't take the discount, then they would have to sell Intel products with lower profits. They just better be buying AMD products at competitive prices to what Intel's products with the discount. It is competition, if AMD wants to compete, they need to offer their products to the companies at competitive prices.

No, you're misinformed! AFAIK it was QPI for NF200less-SLI-enabled Intel boards! This way, the mobo manufacturers could choose if they want SLI for 5$ through a soft mod, no SLI at all or the alternative, a 50$ to 100$ NF200 version (price depending on manufacturer) that would enable SLI. That was the deal... but once Intel got their 5$ mod, NV got nothing!

Actually, you are misinformed. The NF200 thing didn't come up till about half way through the ordeal.

At first, nVidia wanted to make true chipsets for the i7. However, to do that they need to use QPI, which they need to license from Intel. NVidia wanted Intel to allow them to use QPI for free, Intel would have no part of that. And Intel is in the right here, they spent a huge amount to develope it, they aren't going to give it away for use for free, especially not to a company just so they can develope a competing product. By the time nVidia finally caved and agreed to pay licensing fees for QPI it was too late for them to get a chipset out before launch, in fact we still haven't seen a chipset from them.

Of course this would have screwed nVidia, because it would mean that they would not have an SLi solution out for the i7 for a large amount of time, and poeple would be using Crossfire exclusively. So nVidia's next big idea was to simply have motherboard manufacturers put NF200 chips on any i7 motherboard that they wanted to support SLi. The backfired because the manufacturers told nVidia they wouldn't have enough time to develope boards like this in time for the i7 launch, and they also told nVidia they would likely not produce many boards with the NF200 chip due to the extra cost.

This is finally when nVidia gave up on having one of their chips on every SLi board, and finally just allowed manufacturers to qualify the board for SLi by simply paying a small licensing fee and sending nVidia samples for SLi qualification.

T

twilyth

Here is the best explanation I could find of when exclusive dealing agreements are illegal.

Exclusive Dealing Agreements

Exclusive dealing agreements are a form of second-degree price discrimination, similar to requirements tie-in sales. In exclusive dealing agreements, a buyer agrees to purchase all of its requirements for some product or service from one suppliers. For instance, restaurant and
fast food franchises often agree to purchase all of their supplies (cups, plates, food ingredients, etc.) from the parent company.

Courts currently apply the rule of reason to exclusive dealing agreements, which are often recognized to provide economic benefits to both buyers and sellers. Via exclusive dealing agreements, small retailers and businesses can be assured of having a steady supply of products and inputs, while suppliers can be assured of having buyers. Courts have looked at the market power of firms engaged in exclusive dealing agreements in order to judge such agreements' legitimacy; firms without substantial market power have tended to be allowed to engage in exclusive dealing agreements, whereas exclusive dealing agreements on the part of "dominant" firms have tended to be curtailed.

However, the criteria for market power and market dominance are vague. Any particular firm cannot at any time be sure if its exclusive dealing agreements are legal or not until the matter is taken to the courts.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
even if it is over 1 Billion Euros, Intel could probly cut a cheque for that lol, more important than the fine will be the verdict, GUILTY or innocent.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Thank you twilyth, the bold statement is exactly the reason I have issue with this ruling against Intel(and the rulings against Microsoft).

You should not be punished, and not have to follow special rules, simply because you are a bigger company. The same rules should apply to all companies, large or small. Otherwise, who is to decided what company is big enough to be considered big? The governing bodies are purposely not establishing guidelines on what companies are big, and which aren't. So they can extract as much free money out of as many companies as possible.

Laws and rules like this need to be an all or none issue. Either enforce the rules for all companies, or none. You don't get to selectively choose which companies you will suddenly start enforcing the rules for. You can suddenly decide you will enforce the rule for a single company just so you can get some money out of them.

Thank you twilyth, the bold statement is exactly the reason I have issue with this ruling against Intel(and the rulings against Microsoft).

You should not be punished, and not have to follow special rules, simply because you are a bigger company. The same rules should apply to all companies, large or small. Otherwise, who is to decided what company is big enough to be considered big? The governing bodies are purposely not establishing guidelines on what companies are big, and which aren't. So they can extract as much free money out of as many companies as possible.

Laws and rules like this need to be an all or none issue. Either enforce the rules for all companies, or none. You don't get to selectively choose which companies you will suddenly start enforcing the rules for. You can suddenly decide you will enforce the rule for a single company just so you can get some money out of them.

A company is deemed big when they dominate the market that they're in. In this case these business deals only lose their legality when they become anti-competetive, making it impossible for the competitor in the same sector to sell their goods. Remember, economies these days are mostly mixed markets, and all or none solutions never work (True Capitalism/True Socailism), and same goes for this law.

Is it fair that, none of the OEMs will use Company A's products, because the dominating Company X decided to pay these OEMs not to use them? Thats whats going on. Thats just abusing your market position, its like a person paying people to take up places in a competition with limited places so that you cant participate, because you'd be a threat to their victory.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
I dont doubt intel have done this because it seems like everyone in the IT industry is doing it. Its not just the EU prosecuting either, there have been many cases in the US, Korea, Taiwan ,Japan and various countries, but mainly countries that produce technology.

AMD and Nvidia were busted for price fixing, The memory makers in Korea were busted , the LCD makers in Taiwan. They all seem to be sheisters and they are all involved to some degree.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Is it fair that, none of the OEMs will use Company A's products, because the dominating Company X decided to pay these OEMs not to use them? Thats whats going on. Thats just abusing your market position, its like a person paying people to take up places in a competition with limited places so that you cant participate, because you'd be a threat to their victory.

Yes, it is fair, because there is nothing stopping Company A from offering the same deals as Company X. It isn't Company X's fault that Company A can't/won't be competitive.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Yes, it is fair, because there is nothing stopping Company A from offering the same deals as Company X. It isn't Company X's fault that Company A can't/won't be competitive.

theres a difference between offering a lower/more competetive price, and only offering that lower price to people who dont sell any competing products.

System Name _Speedforce_ (Successor to Strike-X, 4LI3NBR33D-H, Core-iH7 & Nemesis-H)
Processor Intel Core i9 7980XE (Lapped) @ 5.2Ghz With XSPC Raystorm (Lapped)
Motherboard Asus Rampage VI Extreme (XSPC Watercooled) - Custom Heatsinks (Lapped)
Cooling XSPC Custom Water Cooling + Custom Air Cooling (From Delta 220's TFB1212GHE to Spal 30101504&5)
Memory 8x 8Gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz @ 4667Mhz (2x F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) 3x Asus GTX1080 Ti (Lapped) With Customised EK Waterblock (Lapped) + Custom heatsinks (Lapped)
Storage 1x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB - 2280 (Hyper M.2 x16 Card), 7x Samsung 860 Pro 4Tb
Display(s) 6x Asus ROG Swift PG348Q
Case Aerocool Strike X (Modified)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 & Aurvana XFi Headphones
Power Supply 2x Corsair AX1500i With Custom Sheilding, Custom Switching Unit. Braided Cables.
Mouse Razer Copperhead + R.A.T 9
Keyboard Ideazon Zboard + Optimus Maximus. Logitech G13.
Software w10 Pro x64.
Benchmark Scores pppft, gotta see it to believe it. . .
I wish i could be in that hearing.

I really dont think any of us know exactly what went on. Surely the evidence we have gathered helps sway our opinions but we should never forget that the masses are indeed sheep.

I have seen too many times, a poor quality, stupid product mass produced and sold, and dominate market share. Probably as many times as i have seen shady business actions.

I think i have heard too many Binderberg conspiracy theories and just felt like adding that the money ending up in the banks hands is what the final outcome will be. U.S is a dry-well, lets drain everything via E.U. That being said, it wont matter if Intel did or didnt when 3/4 of the worlds population is DEAD. . . ( Dont mind me, i just thought i'll spin this off until we get an outcome. )

. . . If i was Intel, i would have made sure AMD was dead by now and have total Monopoly in the industry, killing any uprising competition YEARS ago. This would lead to hostile takeovers of everything remotely related. Anyone that opposes, will have no technology. - - Lucky hey!

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
smack that intel , every one notice this , no fair challenge , now time kick ass

System Name lumi
Processor Intel Core i5-3570
Motherboard MSI Z68A-G43 (B3)
Cooling Stock :O
Memory 16GB DDR3-12800 1600Mhz (4*4GB)
Video Card(s) nVidia 750 Ti
Storage 256GB SP900 (Linux)/Samsung 850 EVO (Win10) - 4x4TB Storage
Display(s) dual 24" Samsungs (1080)
Case Fractal Design Core 3000
Audio Device(s) Onboard :/
Power Supply 850 watt pretty green thing
Mouse Naga Trinity
Keyboard CM Quikfire TK (Red)
Software Ubuntu 18.04/Win10
EU isn't the only one with the contention that Intel is into market malpractices. Korea and Japan back EU's contention with their own trials. Besides EU is also using USFTC for the investigation. If proven guilty, a US federal agency will have backed EU. One can't corner and bitch at EU.

People like to blame europe for everything. Honestly we dont take offense at it anymore.

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
People like to blame europe for everything. Honestly we dont take offense at it anymore.

they sure do :shadedshu kinda like water off a ducks back now

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

canada, new zealand and scotland are previous countries who have taken the position of "blame them for everything"

I suggest we use the french next.

System Name lumi
Processor Intel Core i5-3570
Motherboard MSI Z68A-G43 (B3)
Cooling Stock :O
Memory 16GB DDR3-12800 1600Mhz (4*4GB)
Video Card(s) nVidia 750 Ti
Storage 256GB SP900 (Linux)/Samsung 850 EVO (Win10) - 4x4TB Storage
Display(s) dual 24" Samsungs (1080)
Case Fractal Design Core 3000
Audio Device(s) Onboard :/
Power Supply 850 watt pretty green thing
Mouse Naga Trinity
Keyboard CM Quikfire TK (Red)
Software Ubuntu 18.04/Win10
canada, new zealand and scotland are previous countries who have taken the position of "blame them for everything"

I suggest we use the french next.

Scotland's in europe. but yeah, i say we band together and blame America.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Scotland's in europe. but yeah, i say we band together and blame America.

america is too easy a target. no challenge.

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
ok then the ozzies - damn drunk yobs :p

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
ok then the ozzies - damn drunk yobs :p

Britain: the only empire to have given its prisoners a better country than its own people. thanks guys!