• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please Insert Disc (But I already did!)

beyond_amusia

System Name Cozad (Asus G60JX)
Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce 360M
Storage 500GB
Display(s) 16 inch LED LCD
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
My old motherboard died and I am using an ASUS PQ5 SE Plus as a stand in until my new Phemon gets here with Vista x64 SP2. Since I've made the switch though, I've run into several DVD/CD read errors and slow transfer rates. I've experianced these issues with the drives connected to the onboard IDE, and also while they've been hooked up to a PCI IDE add in card. I thought at first it might be my drives, so I got an LG SATA DVD-RW drive thinking all would be well and pullerd out the other drives and I NEARLY threw them away, but I had second thoughtys and just set them on the floor so I could test them in another rig. Well, I popped in a DVD-R a day after installing the new drive and Vista once again insisted that I insert a disc when I double clicked it in Computer.

With all drives, Vista has displayed the DVD-RW/ROM and CD-R/RW/ROM icons while the disc it refused to read was in the drive rather than the default drive icon used when the drive is empty.

I've exausted my resources on hand to resolve this issue - I've tried 3 IDE DVD drives and a SATA DVD drive as well (2 ASUS and 2 LG) - If it's not the drives, is it Vista or the motherboard?

Last edited:

beyond_amusia

Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Storage 500GB

beyond_amusia

Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Storage 500GB
try updating your motherboard bios, adjust some settings

BIOS is latest and the drives' firmwares were upto date as well. Also, there are no settings in the BIOS related to CD drives besides boot order and then stuff regarding DMA ect - all that is on auto though.

Processor I7 4770k
Motherboard ASUS z87 pro
Cooling Corsair a50
Memory 4x4 gig Gskil aries ddr3 1866
Video Card(s) Gigabyte r280x windforce
Storage intel 520 120 gig ssd
Display(s) 24 inch Asus IPS
Case Cool Master
Audio Device(s) realtek onboard
Power Supply hiper 880
Software win 7 ult
go into device manager and remove all cd dvd drives and reboot your computer, make sure when you put a disk in you let vista see the disk for a few seconds before you try to open it. ALLEN

beyond_amusia

Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Storage 500GB
go into device manager and remove all cd dvd drives and reboot your computer, make sure when you put a disk in you let vista see the disk for a few seconds before you try to open it. ALLEN

I let the disc sit in there for over 5 minutes once - then while trying to install Spore on the IDE drive the setup looped and kept installing the same set of files over and over again for 10 minuter with no increase in the progress bar before I gave up in disgust. It also pulled a stunt with FEAR - the AUTORUN splash screen would pop up but then when I click install or Read Me Windows tells me to format the disc or that it cannot find the file. I also tried uninstalling the drives via DM and letting Windows reinstall them upon reboot.