• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To Use ATIFLASH

spktst

Processor e6600 @ 3.10G
Motherboard XFX 680i LT
Cooling Air
Memory 2G Corsair XMS2 OC @ 720 MHZ
Video Card(s) Asus EAH 4850 TOP
Storage WD
Display(s) Norcent 19
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply PCP&C 610
Software WinXP 32
Ok, Live... We're getting closer.

1. I burnt the Image File onto cd, then rebooted into dos. I can see the Image files on the CD, but not the ATIFlash program nor the .rom file.

2. I return to windows and try to write the ATIFlash prog and .rom file onto the CD, but windows tells me they are already on it, but I cannot see ATIFlash or the .rom file on the CD in Dos.

3. I can use Win Explorer and I can see the ATIFlash prog and .rom file on the CD.

4. How do I get to see the two important files in Dos?

Thank you for your patience with me

DommiikinzZ

After attempts to make a bootable DVD-RW and a bootable USB flash drive, I eventually made a bootable CD-R in order to flash the card. Everything went fine until the booting from the CD began.

The message I was told I should have got is;

Partition C:\ installed
Partition D:\ installed

Search for USB HDD Devices...

USB support successfully initialized
NWCDEX.EXE Version 2.81 CD-ROM file handler.
Copyright (c) 1992, 1997 Caldera Inc. All rights reserved,
Drive E: Driver 'MSCD001' unit 0
Completed codepage prepare function
Completed codepage select function
NLSFUNC R4.00 National Language Support
Copyright (c) 1988,1998 Caldera, Inc. All rights reserved.

Caldera DR-DOS 7.03
Copyright (c) 1976, 1998 Caldera, Inc. All rights reserved.
[DR-DOS] A:\>

The message I actually got was;

Driver not found 'MSCD001'

Caldera DR-DOS 7.03

At this point, I waited (due to typing was giving no response), restarted my PC and now my PS/2 keyboard won't work unfortunately I don't have a second PS/2 keyboard to test if it is my PS/2 port or the keyboard itself. Unfortunately I have a USB keyboard which isn't enabled in BIOS, so won't work until windows loads meaning I can't get back into BIOS.

Is there anyway to fix the MSCD001 problem and partition D not installing, and does anyone know if the keyboard breaking is down to being in MS-DOS, or just the worst luck in the world?

(Disc I was booting from was in Drive D:\) My set up is;
- Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case
- MSI P35 Neo2-FR Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
- Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz
-Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775)
- OCZ 4GB (4x1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2
- Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7200S 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM
- Samsung SpinPoint F1 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD502IJ)
- Hiper 580W HPU-4M580 SLi Certified ATX2.2 PSU

System Name Flash
Processor I5-4670K
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45
Cooling Stock Air
Memory 4x4GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR-1600 CL9
Video Card(s) ASUS 7970 DCU II
Storage Samsung 840 250GB + WD Black 640GB
Display(s) Dell U2412m + 2x Dell 2209WA
Case Corsair 230T
Audio Device(s) Realtek Hi-Def onboard
Power Supply HX850
Software Win7 Pro
I have used CrackerJack's method of creating a bootable CD with Nero (version 6.6.0.8), placed ATIFlash 4 files and the .rom, but my USB keyboard is not being detected. I cannot write anything.

This is the screenshot when the DOS finishes loading. I observe it's a bit different than what other people have. Why?

Edit: ye, this is certainly not the correct DOS. Even with a PS2 Keyboard, the ATI commands won't work, says invalid command or file, after witch not even the PS2 keyboard won't type anymore.

Last edited:
System Name Flash
Processor I5-4670K
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45
Cooling Stock Air
Case Corsair 230T
Power Supply HX850
Software Win7 Pro
Sorry, I'm on a desktop PC now, really cant give you a descriptive answer on the iPhone.

1. Burn the Image file
http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21786&d=1231880794

2. Unzip/Unrar ATI Flash v3.60 to your C: or D: drive, and place the rom file as well.

3. Restart with the disk in. After it finishes loading, type C:, D:, whatever drive you place it on

4. Then use ati flash with ATIFlash -p 0 rom.bin etc etc.

Clear enough? sorry about the confusion before
(The reason I did not add ATI Flash to the CD, because I burned multiple disks and it would not show up in dos. Easier navigating to a hard drive and completing the process)

I was under the impression that if his C or D drive is NTFS they are not seen by DOS.

System Name Flash
Processor I5-4670K
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45
Cooling Stock Air
Case Corsair 230T
Power Supply HX850
Software Win7 Pro
After attempts to make a bootable DVD-RW and a bootable USB flash drive, I eventually made a bootable CD-R in order to flash the card. Everything went fine until the booting from the CD began.

The message I was told I should have got is;

Partition D:\ installed

Drive E: Driver 'MSCD001' unit 0

Caldera DR-DOS 7.03

The message I actually got was;

Driver not found 'MSCD001'

Caldera DR-DOS 7.03

Ok, after I got LiveWire195 zip, DOS (NERO).ZIP, I get the same problem like Dominik.

Now the thing is on this computer it says "Driver not found 'MSCD001'", yet on my 6 year old computer, it works good, and it finds MSCD001.

The difference is that my HDD's and DVD-RW is connected via SATA cables vs my 6 year old computer which is all IDE. However, the DVD-RW is connected to a SATA port that is set as IDE in BIOS.

On this computer it goes:

"Device Name : MSCD001
No drives found, aborting installation"

On my old computer the same line goes:

"Device Name : MSCD001
Number of drives : 1"

Therefore on this computer I get the "Driver not found 'MSCD001'" while on my old computer it's "Drive G: Driver 'MSCD001' unit 0".

What additional drivers do I need so I am able to boot and my SATA cable DVD-RW find this MSCD001?

Please help me, I'm starting to get nightmares. I'm trying for 3 days now to boot in BIOS so I can use ATIFlash.

EDIT: Ok, I found this which I 'think' it's my answer. Can anyone tell me how can I include this driver, not sure what to do.

Last edited:

DommiikinzZ

Yeah I gave up on DOS eventually. The MSCD001 driver that it couldn't find came to be too technical for me to fix, I just used ATIWinflash in the end and it worked out fine.

b0urner

Hi,
I have also bad flashed my card. I have the 4830 1GB by saffire, and stupidly flashed the card with an overclocked cpu (q6600), which resulted in my system freezing half way thru the flash (using RBE and WinFlash in Windows XP). On reboot, there way no sign of display, so i took the card out, placed it in my second PCIE slot. I then tried to fit my old X1650 into the first PCIE slot, but my x1650 has a radiator on the top of the card, and the 4830 has a fan on the bottom, so i could not fit the two cards.
My next step was to borrow my mates 8800gt, which gave me room to fit both the 8800gt and the 4830. After using the 8800gt in the first PCIE slot, and 4830 in the second PCIE slot and plugging in their power leads, there was still no sign of a display. I found i could start my pc up with just the 8800gt, but as soon as i plugged in the 8-pin power cord to my 4830 the display was lost.
As i could not boot into windows with the 2 cards connected, i could not detect or flash the original bios (which i have saved) to the card.
So now im getting desperate, i tried to make a bootable USB stick to blind flash my card, with no luck, and also tried to make a bootable CD containing ATI flash, my original bios, and a AUTOEXEC.bat, containing the following text:
atiflash -f -p 0 ORIGINAL.rom
i made the CD bootable using Nero.
After i put the 8800gt back in the case and set my motherboard bios to boot from CD, i then replaced the 8800gt with the 4830 and with no display hoped for the best.
i heard the CD spinning so assumed that it was asking if i wanted to boot from it, so pressed ENTER. I left it for about 10-15 minutes, and after there was no automatic reboot, manually restarted the machine, just to find out the card still doesnt work.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks guys

P.S if anyone can make me a rescue CD, i can pay them some money via Paypal as i could really do with the card up and running, my x1650 crumples at 1920X1200 with new games.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
-newbios

changes the voltage

How you flash to different pci-e slots -0 is the first slot

b0urner

huh? sorry youv lost me ..can someone give me some good instructions for blind flashing?

huh? sorry youv lost me ..can someone give me some good instructions for blind flashing?

once your sure that atiflash has loaded, blind type:

atiflash.exe -p -f "filename" only if you have one video card "if so this is the easiest way"

or

atiflash.exe -f 0 "filename" if you have just one card in the first slot

or

atiflash.exe -f 1 "filename" if you have just one card in the first slot

just write or print these commands, to be safe.

Blacklash

System Name The Thrashing Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.0GHz (1.45v)
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV (AMD 890FX)
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1284EE
Memory GeIL Black Dragon DDR3 1600 (4x2Gb)
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon HD 5870 1Gb (x2)
Storage WD VelociRaptor 150Gb HD (x2)
Display(s) Acer GD235HZbid
Case SilverStone TJ10-B
Power Supply SILVERSTONE OP1000-E
Software Vista HP x64 SP2
I have used CrackerJack's method of creating a bootable CD with Nero (version 6.6.0.8), placed ATIFlash 4 files and the .rom, but my USB keyboard is not being detected. I cannot write anything.

This is the screenshot when the DOS finishes loading. I observe it's a bit different than what other people have. Why?

Edit: ye, this is certainly not the correct DOS. Even with a PS2 Keyboard, the ATI commands won't work, says invalid command or file, after witch not even the PS2 keyboard won't type anymore.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/Goon9876/IMG_2803.jpg

I got the invalid commands and all other sorts of errors using Vista x64. Finally I busted out one of my old hard disks, disconnected all my new drives, and installed plain Win XP on the old drive. I connected one of my regular backup drives without the Vista OS long enough to get the BIOS files and ATi flash over to the XP C: drive. Then I could boot with the nero CD and just go right to my C: drive and access ATiflash and my BIOS files flawlessly.

Then I just unplugged the XP drive and plugged back in all my others drives.

When using XP I was disconnected from the internet and didn't bother patching it because I solely installed it for using with problem applications in the future.

I've got a USB mouse and a USB keyboard plugged into a Foxconn A7DA-S (790GX). Keyboard and mouse I am using are below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126043
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104079

They worked fine under Vista with the nero boot CD I just couldn't get ATiflash to be found, or to work properly.

I imagine you could do the same thing with a large USB flash drive.

Last edited:

b0urner

once your sure that atiflash has loaded, blind type:

atiflash.exe -p -f "filename" only if you have one video card "if so this is the easiest way"

or

atiflash.exe -f 0 "filename" if you have just one card in the first slot

or

atiflash.exe -f 1 "filename" if you have just one card in the first slot

just write or print these commands, to be safe.

OK thanks mate il try this tonight, to make matters worse not only i cant play any pc games over 2 years old, but iv also been cut off from the net for a month for exceeding my isp's download limit...fuckers.. :banghead:

ah well il be chuffed if this works

Spectrobozo

Processor Athlon 64 X2 4000+ @ 2633MHz
Motherboard ASRock ALiveNF6G-DVI
Memory 2x 1gb ddr2 @ 770
Video Card(s) ECS 8600GT 256mb ddr2 @ 650/1670/480
Software Win XP
Benchmark Scores 5k 3dmark06, 1770p 3dmark vantage (physx off), 34s super pi 1m
hello, is there any comand to force flashing or to erase the bios? i'm always getting this with a 3850 that have some issues

Old DeviceID: 9500
New DeviceID: 9505
Old Product Name:
New Product Name: 11x-2E6301SA-002 RV670 GDDR3_16Mx32 256bit 512MB 669e/829m
Old BIOS Version:
New BIOS Version: 010.071.000.000.000000
Flash type: Unknown SPI

Write fail
0/10000h bytes programmed

ERROR : press '1' to continue

i'm trying using atiflash -f -p 0 bios.bin the bios chip is the PM25LV512

you can't erase a bios, to force flash use this command

-f

Why did you change the device id? you are flashing it with ATI Radeon HD 3690 id!!!! big no no :shadedshu That's your problem

Spectrobozo

Memory 2x 1gb ddr2 @ 770
Software Win XP
you can't erase a bios, to force flash use this command

-f

Why did you change the device id? you are flashing it with ATI Radeon HD 3690 id!!!! big no no :shadedshu That's your problem

the story is not that simple, I didn't change any ID, something wrong happened when I tried to flash the ORIGINAl bios back in the vga (don't ask me what, I just flashed the bios and restarted the PC), I tried to "reset" the bios chip since the card was not detect anymore... now it is detected but atiflash cant write the bios... but I will try again the trick to make contact between the pin 1-4 of the bios for more time, as I was advised to try.

but thanks, nvflash have the -e command, I tought that atiflash had something like this, but doesn't look to be the case!

the story is not that simple, I didn't change any ID, something wrong happened when I tried to flash the ORIGINAl bios back in the vga (don't ask me what, I just flashed the bios and restarted the PC), I tried to "reset" the bios chip since the card was not detect anymore... now it is detected but atiflash cant write the bios... but I will try again the trick to make contact between the pin 1-4 of the bios for more time, as I was advised to try.

but thanks, nvflash have the -e command, I tought that atiflash had something like this, but doesn't look to be the case!

you can force flash, but the bios is corrupted now. so it might take several attempt to fix it, but not likely. if you didn't change it, then you must have downloaded the wrong one. atiflash won't change id, in less you know the command.

Spectrobozo

Memory 2x 1gb ddr2 @ 770
Software Win XP
I didn't download the bios, I used the original bios, dumped from the card unedited... the bios is corrupted now, I "reseted" the bios chip, if I try to save the current bios it saves a 0 byte file, gpuz detects no bios info and an some wrong things,
when I last flashed the card it flashed normally, the same ID and all, this ID 9500 only appeared after I reseted the bios chip (before I reseted the bios the card was not detected by atiflash or windows)... but as I said I will try again the trick to reset the chip, but for more time as I was advised to do... maybe it works...
the -f command don't make any difference at the moment.

this is all very strange I know...

R!PJAW

Processor Intel Q6600 @ 3600Mhz
Motherboard Tpower i45
Cooling Thermaltake Big Water
Memory 4GB corsair
Video Card(s) 2x Force3D HD4870 512MB
Storage 160GB, 250GB, 320GB, 1TB
Hi guys,

A bit off topic, I need a bios for a force 3d HD 4870 512MB with the DHT freezer cooler on it, I flashed mine using atiflash and o modded bios but now Catalyst drivers wont install and device manager reports the card as a vga controller, I've tried many other bioses but with this card but they either kill the card or cause windows to see it as a vga controller.

RobinBanks

Hello all. I have a Sapphire HD 3850 AGP. I was flashing the BIOS with winflash and my system froze. So then the card didn't work anymore. I found my voodoo 3 pci card (thank god i saved it) and booted to DOS (nero dos) with both cards in. Then i ran "atiflash -f -p 0 rv670.bin" (actual backup from gpu-z) everything seems to go right, all the numbers match up, and it says to reboot to finish vbios flash so i do but i get nothing. The screen is still blank, orange light on my monitor.

Is my card bricked? Anything else I can try?

PS: I can't make it past the windows xp boot screen with both cards installed. Or I would try winflash.

Thanks in advance.

RobinBanks

So I ran "atiflash -i". I had used it always with 0 before. I noticed there were two adapters, 0 and 1. Then I "atiflash -f -p 1 rv670.bin" and it worked. Wonderful!

paulganthe1

Processor i7 920 HT
Motherboard Intel® Desktop Board D5400XS
Cooling TLF-S12-EB X6 (120mm fan)
Memory Kingston DDR3 1333 6GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 5770
Storage Western Digital 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung Sync Master B2230
Case Cooler Mater NV 690
Power Supply Cooler Master GX 660W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
CD flashing method need help

Bro,

As I followed your steps, all was fine until locating the cd drive in dos, my keyboard will not be activated once i am in that menu. so i couldn't proceed. please help.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I assume your keyboard is USB? Grab an older PS2 board or clip in the USB to PS2 adapter that usually comes with boards.

Megalith

I can't seem to get my USB stick to boot.

First I was getting the "command interpreter" message, so I then downloaded the HPUSBFW_BOOTFILES.zip files, but now I just get a blinking cursor when I try to boot off the stick.

I'm on Windows 7. Hopefully someone can chime in.

paulganthe1

Processor i7 920 HT
Motherboard Intel® Desktop Board D5400XS
Cooling TLF-S12-EB X6 (120mm fan)
Memory Kingston DDR3 1333 6GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 5770
Storage Western Digital 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung Sync Master B2230
Case Cooler Mater NV 690
Power Supply Cooler Master GX 660W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
I have the same situation.

Apparently, I'm facing the same situation.