• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anime Nation

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
Yukikaze thanks for your insite on anime and you. just give me two top animes and when i get to a computer, on celly now, i'll add ya.

ira.... whar you saying bro?

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
Yukikaze thanks for your insite on anime and you. just give me two top animes and when i get to a computer, on celly now, i'll add ya.

Code Geass R2
The Sky Crawlers

System Name Jaffakeik
Processor I9 12900K
Motherboard MSI Pro B660M-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water cooler- 240mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600
Video Card(s) 7900XTX gigabyte OC edition
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME x2
Display(s) TV LG C2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Full Tower Case Tempered
Audio Device(s) Mother board + Sennhiser HD650+ Elgato wave xlr + shure SM7B
Power Supply EVGA 1600w G+
Mouse Glorious Model 0
Keyboard Corsair RBG mini K65 + Steelseries Apex150
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores over 9000

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
T

twilyth

I really loved Witch hunter Robin and Helsing. Vampire hunter D was also pretty good as was Full metal alchemist. I generally like occult fantasy. I like some mecha stuff but mostly stuff that is borderline like cowboy beebop or the one with Vash (???).

I've checked out anime planet which seems like a really good resource. I found some recommendations there, but i was wondering if y'all had some ideas.

Thanks.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Your thinking of Tri-Gun for Vash the Stanpeed (I raped the last part I know).. So I can throw ya on as Witch Hunter Robin and Helsing?

Me, I wish there was another Witch Hunter Robin.. I re watch the first season every now and again.

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
Reason anime became huge in your life:

The original Macross, back when I was like 12 and it aired over here. I have re-watched the series four times by now, and I still like it. That's how I also picked up playing Battletech when I got a bit older - The 'Mechs were close enough to the Veritechs for me. Not surprising, since a few were pretty much direct copies of Veritechs or Zentraedi Pods.

Macross Zero - Because the animation is top notch and because it has Veritechs in it.
Macross Frontier - Top-notch animation, beautiful Veritechs and combat scenes.

I believe they are called valkyries fighters and not veritechs??

T

twilyth

There was something really serene about witch hunter. The textures and the music. The dialog wasn't rushed and always a little enigmatic. It's nothing like Big O over all, but both had a similar feel - although WHR was much nicer.

Chrono Crusade was also pretty good. And there was another one I can't remember. The world was controlled by a church-like government that was secretly tapping into ancient but advanced technology. That was up there on my list too - even if I can't remember the name.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

Maybe he meant furi kuri?
Yep, Good ol' FLCL. Still one of my favs of all time.

There was something really serene about witch hunter. The textures and the music. The dialog wasn't rushed and always a little enigmatic. It's nothing like Big O over all, but both had a similar feel - although WHR was much nicer.

Chrono Crusade was also pretty good. And there was another one I can't remember. The world was controlled by a church-like government that was secretly tapping into ancient but advanced technology. That was up there on my list too - even if I can't remember the name.
Check out Wolf's Rain

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
My name is Mark im old and I watch anime/cartoons.....

I just started this month when I got a membership to Netflix..

I started with
Last Exile
Ghost in the Shell
Mezzo
Noein
Kurau Phantom Memory

I cant sleep at night so I started watching one episode thinking how stupid this was , the next thing I realized 20 episodes later I hated to turn it off.. Its like crack

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750

I started with
Last Exile
Ghost in the Shell
Mezzo
Noein
Kurau Phantom Memory

I cant sleep at night so I started watching one episode thinking how stupid this was , the next thing I realized 20 episodes later I hated to turn it off.. Its like crack
Welcome to exactly how most of us got started. lol.

And you are likely only watching stuff dubbed in English. A lot of these lose a bit in translation in the English dubs. Most are even better in Japanese audio with English subtitles.

Last Exile, Noein and Mezzo qualify.

The Ghost in the Shell stuff is good in both, tho. Watch the Stand Alone Complex and Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig ghost in the shell series on the Watch Instantly tab in Netflix.

And since you are just starting, sometimes it's easier to start with movies to get you more interested in anime.

Some movies that are must see are Princess Mononoke, Fist of the North Star, (<---the one that started it all for me. lol.), you already watched Ghost in the Shell and Last Exile, I found Wonderful Days (called Sky Blue here) to be good, Appleseed and Appleseed: Ex Machina.

Those should keep you busy for a while, then come back for more recommendations. lol.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
I actually have had "Princess Mononoke" for years and have seen it many times. Thanks Wile E for the recommendations.

T

twilyth

I've heard a lot of people say that you need to watch these stories with subtitles, for me, that just detracts too much from the visual experience. Maybe I've been lucky, but the few times i've had both english subs and dubs, there wasn't a huge difference. Mostly they seemed to diverge with respect to cultural references. I thing the dubs generally captured the true meaning better than the subs. :)

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Oh, and if you would like to get a hold of things that Netflix doesn't have, try BakaBT. It's a great resource.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
I've heard a lot of people say that you need to watch these stories with subtitles, for me, that just detracts too much from the visual experience. Maybe I've been lucky, but the few times i've had both english subs and dubs, there wasn't a huge difference. Mostly they seemed to diverge with respect to cultural references. I thing the dubs generally captured the true meaning better than the subs. :)

In some cases, it's true, but not usually. Just off the top of my head GTO, One Piece, Evangelion, Yu-Yu, Berserk and a slew of others are dubbed horribly. Just massacred. Not to mention the Japanese voice actors tend to do a better job most of the time, with the english actors just "phoning it in", as they say.

There are exceptions of course. Many of the showa Adult Swim licensed first is very good in English. Like BeBop, GITS, Trigun, FMA. Recent years have gotten better. Also worth mentioning, some DVD subs are also inaccurate on older anime (basically just a direct transcript of the english dub track), thus the reason many of us prefer fan subs, so on those, watching English or Japanese makes no difference, except in acting ability.

And subs don't detract from the anime once you get used to using them.

Last edited:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro

I started with
Last Exile
Ghost in the Shell
Mezzo
Noein
Kurau Phantom Memory

Welcome Mark! Nice to see a new face in the club! :toast:

Welcome to exactly how most of us got started. lol.

And you are likely only watching stuff dubbed in English. A lot of these lose a bit in translation in the English dubs. Most are even better in Japanese audio with English subtitles.

Last Exile, Noein and Mezzo qualify.

The Ghost in the Shell stuff is good in both, tho. Watch the Stand Alone Complex and Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig ghost in the shell series on the Watch Instantly tab in Netflix.

And since you are just starting, sometimes it's easier to start with movies to get you more interested in anime.

Some movies that are must see are Princess Mononoke, Fist of the North Star, (<---the one that started it all for me. lol.), you already watched Ghost in the Shell and Last Exile, I found Wonderful Days (called Sky Blue here) to be good, Appleseed and Appleseed: Ex Machina.

Those should keep you busy for a while, then come back for more recommendations. lol.

Mark, tell me your Netflix account and I'll throw ya anime from my watch list and Q...

In some cases, it's true, but not usually. Just off the top of my head GTO, One Piece, Evangelion, Yu-Yu, Berserk and a slew of others are dubbed horribly. Just massacred. Not to mention the Japanese voice actors tend to do a better job most of the time, with the english actors just "phoning it in", as they say.

There are exceptions of course. Many of the showa Adult Swim licensed first is very good in English. Like BeBop, GITS, Trigun, FMA. Recent years have gotten better. Also worth mentioning, some DVD subs are also inaccurate on older anime (basically just a direct transcript of the english dub track), thus the reason many of us prefer fan subs, so on those, watching English or Japanese makes no difference, except in acting ability.

And subs don't detract from the anime once you get used to using them.

Yeah, I'm with you Wile e. For the longest time I was a "English" only person.. Till I got my Laptop right after getting out of school and found that there was TON of stuff I was missing out on... It does get some getting use to on Sub-titles, but once you get use to it, you tend to love it more. Reasoning to me, I'm more of a visiual person and not listening... So, seeing the strange names that anime has, I can go and say it instead of saying something like, "You know the guy with white hair & false eyes on Ghost in The Shell" Well, that's how I see it.. Plus a lot of anime that is brought here is dubbed due to nature that the Japanese show as being ok... So, reading up on the anime online, you find more out because it wasn't dubbed, just subbed for the english...

Mark, tell me the top two and I'll add ya,

twilyth: I'll throw Witch Hunter Robin as your favorite, any thing else?

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
I believe they are called valkyries fighters and not veritechs??

Well, the Robotech adaptation named them that, and it stuck in certain English speaking circles such as Battletech players, which I guess is where I got stuck with it.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
veritech was the original name, when america raped some unrelated animes and turned them into robotech.

System Name Jaffakeik
Processor I9 12900K
Display(s) TV LG C2
Mouse Glorious Model 0
Software Windows 11
NEW series of Full Metal Alchemist looks better than old ones.But they are closley similar.Whats the point of creating anime again but only slithly changed art.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
The new series is showing off parts that wasn't shown in the anime. Going more towards the Manga then how they did it with the first run.. Plus, taking out the fillers that was in the first one.. To tell the truth, I like this one over the first.. Don't get me wrong, I have the movie, and I LOVE the anime to which I've seen it so many times over, but this is giving more what it was needed..

System Name Jaffakeik
Processor I9 12900K
Display(s) TV LG C2
Mouse Glorious Model 0
Software Windows 11
I agree, and i seen movie aswell.Too bad its short running anime was about 60 series.I probably will rewatch these new series of FMA

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
I agree, and i seen movie aswell.Too bad its short running anime was about 60 series.I probably will rewatch these new series of FMA

Yeah, the series of both is great! Well for me at lease.

Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI H61m-P31/w8
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Software Windows 10
How I got sucked in:
Princess Mononoke, Spirited away and Helsing (this was my first, I watched it when I was like 10, lost the DVDs now though :(), enjoyed all of these an incredible amount.
Thing that got me started originally was Helsing, I spent a weekend watching all the episodes in the DVD boxset (it's the one with the artificial vampires ending with Arucard battling Incognito), got a huge bollocking from all my teachers the next week as I'd forgotten to do any of my homework while watching it, still worth it though:D
My dad also got me to watch the first episode of something called Albion I think, if someone could name what this was it'd be awesome (can't remember much of it as I watched it years ago, if you guys can post suggestions of it I'd appreciate it).
I got back into it via graphic novels, not seen anything for a while though as I've been skint (mainly thanks to the graphic novels and my library's pitiful collection).
So yeah, any suggestions what that albion thing would be I'd appreciate it, other animes that I'd enjoy are also welcome, I didn't like FLCL when I read the books though (just too weird I found, I'm willing to go for weird though)>