• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ok vpn is setup now what

System Name Build 1
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Cooler Master 212
Memory Corsair DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows 7 Professional
Basically I want to be able to connect to my computer from another place to edit files etc from my computer at home. Is what I'm doing heading me into the right directon? what i used to setup the computer im connecting to http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm then used this guide on the computer im using to connect to the remote one https://www.publicvpn.com/support/Vista.php

I setup the server side on the computer I want to connect to by adding an account and password, then logged into the vpn stuff from my house. Now what do i do that will allow me to modify stuff, and save it as if i were at the computer I'm connecting to?

The computer I'm connecting to and wanting to modify stuff while at home is running windows xp too, the computer I'm using to connect to it is running windows vista.

Everything is setup using the windows built in vpn features router ports are all forwarded too. I can connect to the vpn just I have no clue how to access the files and everything on the computer while at home thats where I'm stuck.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard Gigabyte AB350 GAMING 3
Memory 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro
Are you trying to get to these files from inside one network, or are you completely away from the network that this computer is on? I don't understand why you set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) if your on a completely different network. I do a lot of networking where I work, and we use VPN's to cut down the amount of traffic within out overall network. For the most part a VPN is a network inside of a network. Please explain a little more on what you set the VPN up in the first place for? and why you didnt jusy use logmein.com or something similar for such tasks?

Thanks,

Christopher

I

InTeL-iNsIdE

you can setup a vpn to access a network from the internet what would be the point in it otherwise ?

as for the op what happens when you log in ?

temp02

Change the workgroup of the Vista computer to MSHOME and share the folder witht the files you want, than on the client computer access th files like if you were accessing files in a LAN (the network place on the host computer will only be available on the clients computers after connecting them to the VPN). This *should* work but I've never tried it.

PS: Here is an esier way of accesing the shared folders, mounting them as an Network Drive (accessible in My Computer after mount, I use this and it works) http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/mapdrive.mspx just replace the \\computername by the host IP address (acessible by the client only after connecting to the VPN ofcourse)

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro
you can setup a vpn to access a network from the internet what would be the point in it otherwise ?

as for the op what happens when you log in ?

Yes, but why? There are so many other ways of doing this that don't require you to go through Hell and high water, right? Networking is not my strong point, so im learning all I can, anywhere I can.

Thanks,

Christopher

I

InTeL-iNsIdE

Yes, but why? There are so many other ways of doing this that don't require you to go through Hell and high water, right? Networking is not my strong point, so im learning all I can, anywhere I can.

Thanks,

Christopher

vpn is a fairly easy/inexpensive way of allowing secure remote access but it has its downsides such as allowing the user to have full access (although not the same as full control) to the network

ideal for accessing a home network

im not all that up on vpn's i only know a small bit as i have just started working for a software vendor who writes remotes access software similar to Citrix and i have to have a basic knowledge, still learning.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro
vpn is a fairly easy/inexpensive way of allowing secure remote access but it has its downsides such as allowing the user to have full access (although not the same as full control) to the network

ideal for accessing a home network

oh ok. we use it for the same reason, I just never looked at it that way. We do VPN's per school hallways to keep the traffic down on the overall network. Makes since now. Thanks buddy.:respect:

Thanks,

Christopher

System Name Build 1
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Cooler Master 212
Memory Corsair DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows 7 Professional
Sorry for the late responding, anyway I want to be able to access my computer thats hooked up some where other than my house.

So I figured what I was doing was right, I set it up on the computer I want to connect to to accept incoming connections then added a username/pw. Then I went home and set up the computer im using to connect to the other one with by making a connection to connect to a workgroup or vpn it said.

I entered the pw and username and what not it connects to the vpn, but I just dont understand where I access the files and everything else as If I were sitting at the computer.

For example while I was connected to the vpn setup from home, it was the ip as If i were at the other computer, Plus I could actually print and it would come out of the printer even though I wasnt there