• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Samsung, or How To Fail at Outsourcing

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
Outsourcing is all the rage in modern times. Every company is hoping to score a contract for a good price and then push the workload off to the local guy. That way they make the big bucks and the local guy can get some money as well. There are plenty of insane little stories of outsourcing like the ones for the "rebuilding" contracts in Iraq, which were awarded to big US companies for unbelievable sums. These then turned around and outsourced that work to a small local company in the country for a fraction of the price.

The Onion News Network - a satire based on real life big shots like CNN and NBC - has been going after that issue with their YouTube video of personal outsourcing of americans. This brings me to my current issue: Samsung and their warranty service.

I happen to have a 30 inch monitor for my workstation, which did not seem to take any DVI signal anymore, so I call up the Samsung hotline from Austria, just to be connected to their german call center - so far nothing out of the ordinary. They were quick about taking down my details and setting up a support ticket along with the promise of a pickup within 24 hours along with the confirmation that the issue will be solved within 10 working days. So I get a call from the transportation firm to confirm a pickup date and time, at which the LCD monitor is picked up. Once again - so far so good, but this is where the real fun begins.

Samsung has elected a local company here in Austria - called Tectraxx - to take care of warranty issues for them, that being the first level of outsourcing. These have then outsourced the actual repair to another company called AVMS. So my monitor - which I require for work - starts on a wonderous journey from my home town to Vienna, where it is checked to confirm the defect, then packed up again and sent onward to another company, which then rechecks the item again. I should note at this point, that other monitor manufacturers like Dell manage to do a next business day swap - no questions asked. So after a whooping 7 business days, my unit manages to make it to AVMS, which actually promptly manages to isolate the problem, but does not have any parts in stock. Another classic problem when outsourcing - sure you can repair units, but you still need to order and stock the needed parts, which takes time. Now with 7 out of the promised 10 days burned away by a trip all over Austria, the unit is sitting there waiting for a replacement part. That part then does not manage to get there within the quoted 2 to 3 business days, but instead takes twice the time.

So, now we are at 13 business days.

At this point, the unit is ready to be shipped back to Tectraxx - yes not directly to me. It takes 3 business days for them just to pick the unit up from AVMS and another day to receive it. It is then checked again and sent onward to me. Needless to say, I opened the warranty ticket on June 25th and I have yet to receive the unit back. The guys at Tectraxx cannot promise a delivery by the end of the week - friday the 24th of Juli as they have no information from AVMS yet - great.

Sure some of you may say "huh, not even a month", but in my case the lack of efficiency, communication and inability to plan ahead is so blatantly obvious. Once my unit reached Tectraxx I was no longer able to call them to get an update on the status. Samsung, Tectraxx, AVMS and the transport firm all have my issue logged under seperate tickets with no information beyond their duty along the chain. It also begs the question if it were not cheaper for Samsung to invest in some infrastructure themselves instead of outsourcing everything.

So this leads me to ask the question: "Have you had any horrid warranty issues?" Not so much ones where it just took long, but one were the defective item was pushed down such an inefficient chain instead of doing the obvious? If so, let us know.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Simply vote with your wallet instead of crying. Don't ever buy a Samsung product again, there is a lot of competition out there with similar offers.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
w1zz how the heck can you NOT buy a samsung product? :confused:
they are in EVERYthing from memory to televisions to phones and beyond :rolleyes:

:shadedshu

No offense to you guys but you've lost it.

I LOVE my samsung products. They're the best. Maybe in your region samsung might suck but I find them to be one of the better companies here and in asia as well.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I should note at this point, that other monitor manufacturers like Dell manage to do a next business day swap - no questions asked.

There you go. I've always received parts from Dell the day after I called them.
I've yet to have a Dell LCD monitor fail.

Processor Intel Core i7-6700k - Stock, multi core boost enabled
Motherboard MSI Z170i Gaming Pro AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S + Arctic MX2 thermal paste, 2 case fans (front and rear).
Memory 2x8gb Kingston DDR4 2666mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Geforce 1060 GTX Gaming X
Storage 120gb Samsung 830 EVO SSD, 240gb Samung 840 Evo SSD, 1tb Seagate HDD, 960gb Corsair Force MP510B
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp 1920x1080
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX SE
Power Supply SilverStone SST-ST85F-P
Mouse Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0
Keyboard Steelseries 6Gv2 - Cherry MX Black edition
Software OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 multicore score: 2249. Cinebench R23 multicore score: 5149.
Ah, the wonders of outsourcing. I remember writing a huge report about that. I cant recall any hassle with techsupport or RMA, mostly because i dont want any hassle and buy a new item if the old breaks. Ive only RMA'd my gpu and that went fine.
Outsourcing is a double edged sword. Its cheap, quick and easy for a large company to outsource parts of their business, but can come at a cost for others.
One example is Darksaber current predicament. Others are far worse. Lets take an example. My brother works for a large flight travel company, (dont know the english word) which name i wont reveal, in a department where they document plane tickets among other things. The company figured out, that it would be cheaper to fire the six-seven people working there, and then outsource that job to india. SO! They ship, by boat, all the tickets all the way to india, document and handle them, them ship them all the way back here. And that is STILL cheaper.
Thats just insane. So we gotta be "green" and save the earth from pollution? I got the answer right here.
And then the government complains we have so many un-employed. Gee, i wonder why?

System Name Core i9 rig / Lenovo laptop
Processor Core i9 10900X / Core i5 8350U
Motherboard Asus Prime X299 Edition 30 / Lenovo motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i PRO RGB / stock cooler
Memory Gskill 4x8GB 3600mhz / 16GB 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super / UHD 620
Storage Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB / Samsung OEM 256GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp UP3017 / Full HD IPS touch
Case Coolermaster mastercase H500M
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 1700 watt / Lenovo 65watt power adapter
Mouse Logitech M500s
Keyboard Cherry
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows 11 Pro
:shadedshu

No offense to you guys but you've lost it.

I LOVE my samsung products. They're the best. Maybe in your region samsung might suck but I find them to be one of the better companies here and in asia as well.

I prefere LG. :D

Not as bad as yours, but i got an OCZ XTC Memory cooler, the fans were broken on arrival. So i told OCZ. After a week of them telling me to try things in BIOS, they finally agreed to replace the fans. Gave my address and they fella said it'll be with you within a week.

One week passes, nothing.

Two weeks, nothing. So i email them again, he says theres been a mix-up. It'll be with me ASAP.

One week passes, nothing.

Two weeks, nothing. Email time again, the guy says the same, only with hundreds more 'sorry's. "I'll deal with it personally" he claims.

I wait (bare in-mind im in college. So i can only collect things Tuesday and Thursday. And before 10:30am everyday before my brother goes to work.) Get home one Wednesday and theres a box in the porch. Luckily the guy had just taken all the details off and posted it.

For two 40mm fans, they posted it in a massive flat box with loads of bubblewrap and afew 'sorry' chainrings... lol.

Sold it afew weeks later... haha.

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
No i have had no real horror stories like that obviously Samsung in Europe have got problems if thats how things go. Pity you didnt have my sister there to follow up for you guarenteed sheed be on the phone to em and the next day ud have a fully fixed monitor at your door. :D

System Name beast
Processor 3930K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2011
Memory 16GB Kingston Value DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus Elite RTX3060 12GB
Storage 1x 120GB Intel 520 and some spinny bois
Display(s) 3x DELL S2721DGF
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Corsair 750w
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10
Won't the companies consider this defamation.. why is this making the news page?

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Keep us posted about its condition when it finally returns from its tour of Austria.

Won't the companies consider this defamation.. why is this making the news page?

It's an editorial. Like the one in your newspaper.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Companies generally know, as long as the story is true, it can't be defamation.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
So this leads me to ask the question: "Have you had any horrid warranty issues?" Not so much ones where it just took long, but one were the defective item was pushed down such an inefficient chain instead of doing the obvious? If so, let us know.

Not really. I mostly opt for an OEM part if available. I pay less and if it dies, turnaround time is usually 3 days (Newegg standard shipping). Less hassles, less outsourced support calls, etc.

Processor i7 8700K
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-A12x25 PWM + 4xNF-A14 PWM
Memory 16 GB Adata XPG Dazzle DDR4 3000 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus, Samsung 850 Evo
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144Hz 1080p
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 3
Power Supply Superflower Leadex II Gold 650W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7
Software Windows 11 Pro
I feel that you are still lucky, in an unfortunate kinda way.
My monitor (and router, also), which I acquired 4 months ago from a (Romanian) store (named UltraPRO) is practically without warranty (and it had 3 years written down on the papers I signed at the store when I bought it).
Guess what? In between time, UltraPRO just bankrupted and... disappeared (yes, no more phone lines. And NO MORE STORES). With all the components/PCs/printers etc. it had in service from people like you and I. I don't know the saucy details, but I know many people remained without various electronics, and even many more live with the fear that their new appliance could break any day without any chance of being taken to repairs, as per warranty.
PS: UltraPRO was a big (veeeery big) player on the Romanian PC market. This is a true story. No one knows where to find the company owners...

Last edited:
System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Simply vote with your wallet. Don't ever buy a Samsung product again, there is a lot of competition out there with similar offers.
Unfair. Samsung do do great products. They need to get this message: BAD MANAGEMENT of EU warranty. Who knows what kind of kick-backs are going on through the outsourcing chain. Let's hope heads roll. Samsung HQ; sort it out!

Good luck Dark. Hope you get a fully working unscratch undamaged warranty repair very soon.

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X99
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 4x8GB HyperX FURY DDR4-2666 15-17-17-15
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
Storage 1x Plextor PX-512M6S SSD, 1x WD 750gb HDD, 2x Hitachi 2TB HDD, 1x Seagate 4TB HDD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2314H
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse ROCCAT Kone Pure Color White
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB - Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I've never had a warranty problem. Always get my stuff back fast and it always goes to one place. Maybe it's just Austria.

shouldnt this be on like generalnonsense.net??? :laugh: joke

anyway i think that its not samsungs fault its more likely the outsourced companies fault

i mean like in the uk rexo handles the hard drives for repair and replacement

mines had a bad sector no problem they say it will get replaced, so it is coming to glasgow and wham it gets sent back to england (address issues or no one at home i think), no problem i answered an email and it was there within 2 days by courier, 2 days because it took them a while to respond to the email

i have a samsung monitor kinda good but its not the best

i do feel bad about the situation the amount of places its been in is ridiculous it should just be like the repair and replacement place and that's it, maybe they would have to wait for a new monitor to come but should not take more than a 5 days for all that if they dont have a monitor or parts which they should lol

You make it look as if Samsung is doing something bad, yet a turn around time of less than a month is quite good compared to certain other companies. I hardly think personal opinions that are this biased belong on the front page, no matter what you call them.

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
Yes those people find them self smart outsorcing their jobs. But one day bigger companies will jump them ang go directly to the poor guy in India. It look to me that some one will sleep on the street.
And we wonder why global crisis. Only 10% of people in the world are producing manufactoring other 90% are just trading. No matter how efficient those 10% are can`t feed the whole world.

Yes those people find them self smart outsorcing their jobs. But one day bigger companies will jump them ang go directly to the poor guy in India. It look to me that some one will sleep on the street.
And we wonder why global crisis. Only 10% of people in the world are producing manufactoring other 90% are just trading. No matter how efficient those 10% are can`t feed the whole world.

well india actually has a booming it sector and has rapidly developing high tech manufacturing

in some ways its like a non communist nice lovable china

china has its poor india has its poor but both are booming

food has nothing to do with manufacturing, its like agriculture and thats not the same, some places base thier economy on agriculture like places in south america

Necrofire

System Name Chuck
Processor Core i5-2500k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard msi P67A-C43
Cooling hyper 212, 2 120mm fans
Memory 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX 6870
Storage 60GB sata3 sandforce ssd, 1TB samsung hdd
Display(s) Yamakazi Catleap
Case Possibly Antec, not sure
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 600W
I'd like to add that people have at least two good options when it comes to getting what they want from support:

While talking to someone about your item that is with them, be very angry at first, then as they "personally" take care of things, calm down and thank them a few times. Throw in an apology for the anger and the gentleman on the other line will more than likely actually take care of things himself as much as he can.

Or, you can just be as nice as possible but call very often. Apologize for calling so much, and explain you are losing time/money because this item isn't working (I mean, a computer without a monitor can't play crysis very well can it?).

When I spilled a 44 ounces of sugary drink onto my laptop, I sweet-talked them into sending me a free keyboard since my was broken, despite being out of warranty.

Also, w1zz hit the nail on the head. If you are unhappy with a company the best thing you can do is stop purchasing their products. The second best thing you can do is do what you just did, and tell everyone else about bad service.

Regardless of how you handle things Darksaber, call the company that you think has your monitor every day to see what the status is, and keep us updated.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Whats crazy is that it can go though all those companys and still be cheaper than the alternative.

At bottom of this article:

I lol'ed

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
well the purpose is not to put the doom and gloom on samsung. Nor do i think that samsung makes bad products. What i was trying to point out is the factis the inability of some companies to keep an efficient workflow. I was just interested, if there are other stories like that out ther with such weird service structures. Thus the editorial :) Samsung just happen to be a great example of the moment :)

cheers
darksaber

System Name eYi
Processor i7 920 D0
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD5
Cooling Silver Arrow
Memory 3x2GB G.Skill Pi 1600mhz 7-8-7-24
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6870 1GB
Storage OS: Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) Samsung 226BW
Case Silverstone Raven 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax Revolution85+ 1050w
Software Win7 Pro
that sucks man. samsung just makes the service ticket and has an option of either:
1) i ship my monitor to them and they deliver the replacement to my house
2) i ask them to ship to the nearest UPS and swap monitors there, paying nothing, but waiting about 7 business days.

Processor Core i7 @ 3.5GHz stock voltage
Motherboard MSI Eclipse
Cooling Noctua NH-12P SE
Memory 6 GB 1066MHz
Video Card(s) 2x GTX260 @ 701/1506
Storage Raptor 74 GB
Display(s) NEC MultiSync 2080UX+
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Win7
Knowing big companies, Samsung is laughing all the way to the bank with your money.:roll:
And I'm sure their Austrian cronies are telling jokes about it at lunch.