• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are your plans for Windows 7 ?

What are your plans for Windows 7 ?

• I'll take a look soon and then decide if it's right for me

Votes: 1,555 10.5%
  • I'm happy with XP

Votes: 2,671 18.1%
  • I'm happy with Vista

Votes: 1,376 9.3%
  • Can't wait to switch (I have tried the RC)

Votes: 5,683 38.5%
  • Can't wait to switch (I haven't tried any beta yet)

Votes: 1,180 8.0%
  • I'll wait till it's more mature (Service Pack 1)

Votes: 1,244 8.4%
  • No thanks. Too expensive, not much new

Votes: 1,048 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
I've used it since the first Beta through the current RC and I'm not terribly impressed. It's has some nice things (Aero Peek, less services @ startup), but it also has some annoyances (admin privileges changed for the worse, UAC hasn't improved much at all really), and other than that it's still just Windows (plays my games, still fragments and does things irrationally sometimes). I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but I'm in no hurry.

The best part about 7 is that they've let us all have it for free for about a year or so. That's a win.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
the two main advantages with 7 for me:

1. DX10 GUI. No video/system ram wasted with me leaving 50 odd windows open, and a zillion firefox windows/tabs.

2. Network doesnt slow down when audio playing.

Things worse:

1. My network upload speed is reported wrong. its doubled. I can upload from this machine to vista or 7 machines, and i get upto 99% network card usage - 125MB/s. Thing is, the programs themselves, and the other machines receiving the files - all claim exactly 50% of what this system is saying its uploading.
Anyone else with this issue?

Meecrob

they dont work on my housemates 8800GT, not sure what drivers he has. not like i can walk in and mess around with his drivers without getting murdered :p

wana screenshot?

works in both d3d and overlay modes here.

Meecrob

the two main advantages with 7 for me:

1. DX10 GUI. No video/system ram wasted with me leaving 50 odd windows open, and a zillion firefox windows/tabs.

2. Network doesnt slow down when audio playing.

Things worse:

1. My network upload speed is reported wrong. its doubled. I can upload from this machine to vista or 7 machines, and i get upto 99% network card usage - 125MB/s. Thing is, the programs themselves, and the other machines receiving the files - all claim exactly 50% of what this system is saying its uploading.
Anyone else with this issue?

slowdowns? I havent seen any slowdowns with tons of windows and tabs open, I have 28 tabs open in opera now, as well as 11 explorer windows and my systems just as fast as with them closed..........

and I havent seen my network get slower when playing audio files, then again i dont u se WMP or mp3/wma files do that could have something to do with it, or the fact im on 2008.

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
then again i dont u se WMP or mp3/wma
what formats ur aduio files in then? there the standard other then wav

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
wana screenshot?

works in both d3d and overlay modes here.

nah, i'll beleive your testing. Nvidia must have fixed their problems with a driver update. ATI still havent.

Meecrob

what formats ur aduio files in then? there the standard other then wav

Ogg Vorbis

Flac

Musepack

all are superior to mp3 and wma and even AAC, also all are FOSS

this means that they are all under constant development and thus are constantly being improved.

Alot of pmp's(what you probably call and mp3 player or ipod) now support flac and ogg, musepack supports still pretty rare, but those players that support it tend to have better batt life when running .mpc files vs any other format.

I use vorbis for my portible audio(sansa fuze and samsung yp-u3) as well as my audio books due to the quility per bitrate/size, AAC is the only thing close in the bitrate/filesize catagory and its SLOW to encode, as well as not having quite the same quility level that the current aoTuV5.7 vorbis encoder has.

for more information about audio codecs check out http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=idx the best place on the net to find info about audio codecs :)

Meecrob

nah, i'll beleive your testing. Nvidia must have fixed their problems with a driver update. ATI still havent.

ATI are kinda behind on the whole stream/gpgpu front, its why I am looking at the gtx260 over the 4870, close price, but the 260-216 will give me cuda support for apps like badaboom, super loliscope and...well heres a link http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=719

also mediacoder has cuda encode support and is working on their own totaly custom decoder/encoder setup that will hopefully when done do 90-99% of the work on the gpu, including filtering and resizing.

ATI is still not allowing any direct hardware access and the perf in stream test apps isnt that impressive, makes me wonder how they are gonna do with OpenCL support if OpenCL will be a software layer over Stream that itself is a software layer over the gpu....bah!!!!

like trying to choose between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
I already have that Windows 7 on pre-order so I will be ready by then! XP will be on my old computers with anything less than a dual core. 7 will be on everything else. Beta was good, RC was good, everything I was impressed with, but we will see in the long run.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
7 has no performance issues on single cores. remember that its designed to work on intel atom - as long as it has adequate ram, 7 is good to go.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
my plans are to pray to the dark gods that someone can make a x64 os that actually works with hardware. With the current RC my NIC dont work right and the x-fi crackles like its a soundblaster 16 on 32 bit theirs 0 issues cept for 1gb of ram going to waste

7 is basically Vista with a tweaked UI (better in some ways) and some more speed in a few ways. It's not that much different than Vista, IMO.

It's definitely not really amazing shocking revolutionary new thing to have but it doesn't make life harder compared to XP unless your computer isn't at least somewhat recent.

I'm still not seeing the reason to develop fanboyism for 7/Vista or for most people to move from XP to Vista/7. Forced obsolescence is about the best "reason" unfortunately. There should be a poll option for "ambivalent".

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
Windows 7 is a much more enjoyable, trouble free experience for a lot of users out there. Regardless if one thinks it's a Vista upgrade or not a user's experience can (in most case) triumph redundancies. For example:
Thread(s) that discuss experiences, tips and offer help for those who are thinking about transitioning to Win7.

The ability to try it before you buy it. This is one the best features of Win7 to date.

Compability with motherboards that don't require a user to figure out how to install chipset drivers either before or immediately after Win7 install.

GUI is intuitive and easily allows you to navigate to where you want to go.

Smaller resource footprint.

Current game and application compatibility (for the most part).

The inclusion of DX11. And, the game(s) that will be released for it in the near future.

The release of DX11 video cards.

Although Win7 is not perfect there are still many other reasons not mentioned. These are but a few reasons why Win7 has generated synergy in so many users. In either case home users (for the most part) are very happy with Win7 so far and I can only see that increasing as the final retail variants are released to the public.

Last edited:
Windows 7 is a much more enjoyable, trouble free experience for a lot of users out there.
It's Vista Second Edition and shares so much architecture with Vista that it gets to enjoy the Vista hardware & software developments from the past 2.5 years. Of course it will work better than Vista seemed to for most people. Vista had serious growing pains thanks to under-the-hood changes and bugs, serious driver problems, and cheap-ass vendors releasing Vista-preinstalled PCs with 1GB of RAM. 7 is a fixer upper with tweaks and a lick of fresh paint. Dual cores are prevalent and RAM is ultra cheap.

The ability to try it before you buy it. This is one the best features of Win7 to date.
It is smart because it reduces the risk that people feel with the big price to pay for 7. However, most people will be getting 7 with a new machine, not buying it outright.

I'm not convinced that it causes people to "need" 7 like an addiction though. :)

Compability with motherboards that don't require a user to figure out how to install chipset drivers either before or immediately after Win7 install.
This has been the case with every MS OS since Windows 95. It is an advantage that generally vanishes as soon as new hardware arrives, unless the vendors care about putting drivers up on MS Update.

GUI is intuitive and easily allows you to navigate to where you want to go.
Very subjective. One major oopsie on their part that I've found is dropping the ability to easily sort while in thumbnail view. Vista did it amazingly better than 7 & XP by keeping the sort column while in thumbnail view.

And honestly I'm still not really blown away by the new taskbar. It's ok but nothing mind-blowing IMO.....

Smaller resource footprint.
I'd have to see some numbers to believe this. The ISOs are smaller but I don't know about the functioning OS. It doesn't feel much different than Vista to me (and I don't mean to say that this is bad.) 7 does install fast though, especially on fast hardware (definitely faster than Vista).

Current game and application compatibility (for the most part).
Vista is just as good/bad IMO. XP is the best choice if compatibility is your #1 concern.

XP Mode is nothing special or new, either, if you were referring to that. MS Virtual PC has been free for about 5 years and runs even on XP. Virtual PC is even better because you can run any OS you want.

The inclusion of DX11. And, the game(s) that will be released for it in the near future.

The release of DX11 video cards.
DX10 came out in 2007. We are still in a DX9 world and games are based on the console hardware more than ever. I don't see DX11 becoming important for a long, long time. We aren't going to see the dawn of a new era in graphics complexity until new consoles launch methinks.

Last edited:

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
It's Vista Second Edition and shares so much architecture with Vista that it gets to enjoy the Vista hardware & software developments from the past 2.5 years. Of course it will work better than Vista seemed to for most people. Vista has serious growing pains thanks to under-the-hood changes and bugs. 7 is a fixer upper with tweaks and a lick of fresh paint.
Not everyone will share that opinion. As I mentioned earlier, good experience triumphs redundancy. And for the most part that comes off as "sour grapes" to me.

It is smart because it reduces the risk that people feel with the big price to pay for 7. However, most people will be getting 7 with a new machine, not buying it outright.
Actually MS did take in a lot of feed back which does play a part in why people like Win7. So there are other factors involved.

This has been the case with every MS OS since Windows 95. It is an advantage that generally vanishes as soon as new hardware arrives, unless the vendors care about putting drivers up on MS Update.
I cannot agree here. I did experience problems with Win2k and XP if I didn't update the chipset drivers.

Very subjective. One major oopsie on their part that I've found is dropping the ability to easily sort while in thumbnail view. Vista did it amazingly better than 7 & XP by keeping the sort column while in thumbnail view.
The whole premise behind the new OS is to make it more intuitive. However, as mentioned later in my post win7 wasn't perfect. No reason why you are implying differently.

And honestly I'm still not really blown away by the new taskbar. It's ok but nothing mind-blowing IMO.....
Now this is subjective ;). A new OS doesn't have to necessarily "blow your mind". But if it offers the experience one expects along with features they can benefit from there is no reason to think otherwise.

I'd have to see some numbers to believe this. The ISOs are smaller but I don't know about the functioning OS. It doesn't feel much different than Vista to me (and I don't mean to say that this is bad.)
This thread isn't designed to prove anything to you (in particular). Many have said this for a while now and it's common knowledge. How Vista feels to you is again subjective.

Vista is just as good/bad IMO. XP is the best choice if compatibility is your #1 concern.

XP Mode is nothing special or new, either, if you were referring to that. MS Virtual PC has been free for about 5 years and runs even on XP. Virtual PC is even better because you can run any OS you want.
This really isn't a thread about Vista and "what could have been". This is about Win7 which is now the next OS to be released in few weeks. People already know if they will upgrade or not. And, the reasons behind why will vary. However, what I posted was in regards to game/program compatibility. Something gamers/users would be concerned about if they considered using the OS.

DX10 came out in 2007. We are still in a DX9 world and games are based on the console hardware more than ever. I don't see DX11 becoming important for a long, long time. We aren't going to see the dawn of a new era in graphics complexity until new consoles launch methinks.
DX10 in and of itself was a flop; the use of DX9 in console games is only part of the story. However, if more developers cater to and use DX11 it should do better then DX10. Lets not forget that DX11 was never hyped about better IQ. :p

Last edited:

Meecrob

Mussles
http://shark007.net download the win7 codec pack and go into its config app, you can choose coreavc via that and it will work with all 32bit players, BUT theres a warning, if you have thumbs enabled you need to use ffdshow and go into each folder you have videos in first THEN switch to coreavc.

coreavc and win7+thumbs=crash :(
info here
http://forum.corecodec.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1126&start=25

Shark007 is also adding coreavc option to the VCP to make it easier on everybody(specly noobies) :D

D

Deleted member 67555

Not everyone will share that opinion. As I mentioned earlier, good experience triumphs redundancy. And for the most part that comes off as "sour grapes" to me.

Actually MS did take in a lot of feed back which does play a part in why people like Win7. So there are other factors involved.

I cannot agree here. I did experience problems with Win2k and XP if I didn't update the chipset drivers.

The whole premise behind the new OS is to make it more intuitive. However, as mentioned later in my post win7 wasn't perfect. No reason why you are implying differently.

Now this is subjective ;). A new OS doesn't have to necessarily "blow your mind". But if it offers the experience one expects along with features they can benefit from there is no reason to think otherwise.

This thread isn't designed to prove anything to you (in particular). Many have said this for a while now and it's common knowledge. How Vista feels to you is again subjective.

This really isn't a thread about Vista and "what could have been". This is about Win7 which is now the next OS to be released in few weeks. People already know if they will upgrade or not. And, the reasons behind why will vary. However, what I posted was in regards to game/program compatibility. Something gamers/users would be concerned about if they considered using the OS.

DX10 in and of itself was a flop; the use of DX9 in console games is only part of the story. However, if more developers cater to and use DX11 it should do better then DX10. Lets not forget that DX11 was never hyped about better IQ. :p
You had me all the way to the end...DX10 a flop....? Really?....Go play Call of Duty 4 "Modern Warfare" with DX9 and DX10 In the beginning on the helicopter ride to the cargo ship watch the "cigarette light" and the "shadows" now go play any modern game and watch DX10 rock's it didn't flop it just went unnoticed

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
jmcslob, COD4 is DX9 only :p

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
yeah CoD4 and CoD WaW do not use DX10, lol.

unless your point was something else, and you failed to get it across?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Mussles
http://shark007.net download the win7 codec pack and go into its config app, you can choose coreavc via that and it will work with all 32bit players, BUT theres a warning, if you have thumbs enabled you need to use ffdshow and go into each folder you have videos in first THEN switch to coreavc.

coreavc and win7+thumbs=crash :(
info here
http://forum.corecodec.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1126&start=25

Shark007 is also adding coreavc option to the VCP to make it easier on everybody(specly noobies) :D

using legit coreAVC, i get no crashes here. That problem likely exists only with the shark package - which is why i dont use it, or reccomend it.

Sure he's making a good codec pack, but it aint anywhere near done yet.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Pretty much any developer will tell you DX10 is a flop. As a gamer I feel DX10 was a flop. Yup, my mind's made up! DX10 is a flop.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
DX10 was primarily a flop b/c Vista was a flop. Developers had little incentive to produce Dx10 games when everybody and their mother was saying OMG Vista gets like 3 fps less than XP fails don't buy it.....or at least I think that's what they said.

DX11 should catch on better as W7 is shaping up to be much more successful. I still wouldn't expect many games on the outset, it'll probably take a good 3+ years for enough of the industry to move over to 7 to make it worthwhile for developers.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
the main reason DX11 wont flop, is that DX10 cards can run it (just like DX8.1 cards could run most DX9 games for a long time)

That means that over half existing users out there RIGHT NOW can run it, once they get an OS with it (either win 7, or vista with the update to include DX11) - developers will code properly for a 50% user base, not a 10% (even my onboard video on my media PC is DX10.1)

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C