• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ECS P965T-A dont know to keep or RMA it and get something better ??

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
well this is the mobo ECS P965T-A http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813135022 i got for a C2D 6300 that i was plaing on getting later but as you can read some of the Customer Reviews and i found out after going in to the bios thats theres really not much i can do with it i cant even OC my P4 and it runs my ram but in cpu-z it shows nothing no #'s or speed so im kind of :mad: so im thinking of RMAing it and lets say something like $200 and down that would be a good OCing mobo that well let me OC my P4 untill i get my 6300 and not so picky about the ram so can anyone help with any ideas :toast:

Last edited:

Azn Tr14dZ

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL
Storage 2x80GB Western Digital
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster
Power Supply Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt
Is there a new BIOS that you can download from ECS? There are some ECS motherboards that have bad stock BIOS but are great w/ new ones.

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
Is there a new BIOS that you can download from ECS? There are some ECS motherboards that have bad stock BIOS but are great w/ new ones.

yes it came with with the newest bios, i even flashed it again but still no ocing well this are the setings that it has for the BUS Speed 100, 133, 166, 200, 266, 333 and my ram still does'nt show up nothing well some reviews one said it doesnt work with ram with is over 1.9v and some the have 800 ram reads as 533, 667 and i wouldnt be able to get new ram cuz i was plaing on getting some 800 but if its not going to use it theres no point of keeping this mobo and well i think i cant OC my P4 cuz the highest i got mine was 264 and you cant up the vots so i want a better mobo so can help and no more ECS i dont like them mofos i cant belive they dont got a tech support you can call just email thats dumb well is there other ones that are good brand names well i was looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16813131032,N82E16813128018,N82E16813128012
so are theres good or theres a better one for aound that price range if not which one would be the best choice out of them ? thanks if your willing to help me out :roll:

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
well im going to RMA it, well i just wanted to know is what do i tell them? like the problems i had or what i never done this

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro

ktr

Lemme tell you something... i am a service tech (and MT) for frys...and frys is the major distributer of ecs mobo. ECS SUKS. worst mobos i have see in my life. plz dont invest your time and money in ecs. there peformance is horrible, cheaply made, bad caps, only last for 2-3 months, and dies with out reason. Its sad...things like smartfan can cause a computer to crash for no reason, and there is no fix.

just my 2 cents.

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
Lemme tell you something... i am a service tech (and MT) for frys...and frys is the major distributer of ecs mobo. ECS SUKS. worst mobos i have see in my life. plz dont invest your time and money in ecs. there peformance is horrible, cheaply made, bad caps, only last for 2-3 months, and dies with out reason. Its sad...things like smartfan can cause a computer to crash for no reason, and there is no fix.

just my 2 cents.

yea im never going to buy anything from ECS again so is DFI a good brand ? i read on newegg that the 965 are newer then the 975 so is the 975 still better the 965?

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
975X is better than the P965 in overclocking. You still see new Core 2 Duo boards based on 975X, because it's better.

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
975X is better than the P965 in overclocking. You still see new Core 2 Duo boards based on 975X, because it's better.

well when are the new AMD's coming out and the new Intel there both coimg out with 4 cores right ?

noneed4me2

System Name TheloneFrakker..;)
Processor Q6600 GO FSB333@3.04ghz
Motherboard Asus P5E3 Deluxe Wifi
Cooling Stock for now
Memory 2x1gb/Gskill DDR3 1333@9,9,9,24 1t
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD2900XT
Storage Seagate Barrucuda 7200.11 500gb SATAII 32mb cache
Display(s) Sceptre xw20g Naga 20.1"
Case Thermaltake Bach VX w/Side window
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Hiper 580w Modular
Software XP Pro/Vista Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores None yet, coming soon...

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
Go with the Asus, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...bCategory=280&CompareItemList=N82E16813131032 , it uses an nvidia chipset and should have a bunch of oc options.

well i was reading some Customer Reviews and they said "Cons: Mediocre overclocking" "limited overclocking, Cons: As others have said, limited overclocking. Could not get it up past 1095 fsb.Runnig memory at 820 mhz, 3-3-3-10-1, fsb 1092"
well that doesnt make me want to buy that one if i cant oc that much

b1lk1

System Name Money pit
Processor Q2Q Q8300
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 deluxe WIFI AP@N
Cooling 120.2/Swiftech655/Apogee GT/DD Fillport & res
Memory OCZ PC3-1333MHZ 2X1GB/Kingston HYPERX PC3-1325MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4830
Storage Seagate 7200.11 1TB
Display(s) Dell 2209WA
Case some crap 5 year old generic modded case
Audio Device(s) X-FI fagtality
Power Supply PC P&C 510W
Software Vista Premium 64

That is quite the blanket statement considering the newest boards are coming in 965P flavor and many of them are over 500FSB whereas many of the 975 boards are still stuck under that limit. THere is no clear winner really other than the 975 is able to run dual video cards. Most sites do give the 975 boards a 5-10% overall speed advantage at the same clocks, but that is so low almost noone could perceive it outside of benchmarks. Also, 975 boards are easily $100 more than the 965 boards for the good ones so for me, saving $100 for 10% performance loss is more than acceptable.

Also, how many 975 boards are rated to handle quad cores? And they have also seen the most revisions just to maintain any compatibility with newer CPU's. In my mind, I am very suspect they can handle quad cores and they may not be very future proof beyond the current CPU's. Once the 965 boards mature a bit, I feel they easily will outpace the 975 boards. 975 has been out for awhile whereas the 965 boards are still one generation old. If you can overclock a 965 board 25% more, you can easily overcome the performance shortfalls they currently have, and if future driver revisions correct the speed loss, then the decision is that much easier.

If you are on a tight budget, the Gigabyte DS3's are the best board. Buggy, sure. But they are fast and keep up to the board that are 2-3 times their price.

Last edited:

noneed4me2

System Name TheloneFrakker..;)
Processor Q6600 GO FSB333@3.04ghz
Motherboard Asus P5E3 Deluxe Wifi
Cooling Stock for now
Memory 2x1gb/Gskill DDR3 1333@9,9,9,24 1t
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD2900XT
Storage Seagate Barrucuda 7200.11 500gb SATAII 32mb cache
Display(s) Sceptre xw20g Naga 20.1"
Case Thermaltake Bach VX w/Side window
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Hiper 580w Modular
Software XP Pro/Vista Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores None yet, coming soon...

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
That is quite the blanket statement considering the newest boards are coming in 965P flavor and many of them are over 500FSB whereas many of the 975 boards are still stuck under that limit. THere is no clear winner really other than the 975 is able to run dual video cards. Most sites do give the 975 boards a 5-10% overall speed advantage at the same clocks, but that is so low almost noone could perceive it outside of benchmarks. Also, 975 boards are easily $100 more than the 965 boards for the good ones so for me, saving $100 for 10% performance loss is more than acceptable.

Also, how many 975 boards are rated to handle quad cores? And they have also seen the most revisions just to maintain any compatibility with newer CPU's. In my mind, I am very suspect they can handle quad cores and they may not be very future proof beyond the current CPU's. Once the 965 boards mature a bit, I feel they easily will outpace the 975 boards. 975 has been out for awhile whereas the 965 boards are still one generation old. If you can overclock a 965 board 25% more, you can easily overcome the performance shortfalls they currently have, and if future driver revisions correct the speed loss, then the decision is that much easier.

If you are on a tight budget, the Gigabyte DS3's are the best board. Buggy, sure. But they are fast and keep up to the board that are 2-3 times their price.

975X baords that can handle a Core 2 Duo can handle a Quad-Core. And the best baord out for Core 2 Duos, the Asus P5W-DH is 975X. It can hit 500Mhz+
975X is better than P965 at the moment.

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
975X baords that can handle a Core 2 Duo can handle a Quad-Core. And the best baord out for Core 2 Duos, the Asus P5W-DH is 975X. It can hit 500Mhz+
975X is better than P965 at the moment.

well i read in a review that the GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 beats the Asus P5W-DH 975X in some test and that GIGABYTE is going to come out with a better one. and i think it said that the 965 is mainstream. well i dont know if you guys already knew this but i just found out. so now i dont know just to wait or just get a mobo now :confused:

ktr

i just installed the g/b, and it works great. initally i was installing the asus, but did not post with 3 boards.

G33k

well this is the mobo ECS P965T-A http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813135022 i got for a C2D 6300 that i was plaing on getting later but as you can read some of the Customer Reviews and i found out after going in to the bios thats theres really not much i can do with it i cant even OC my P4 and it runs my ram but in cpu-z it shows nothing no #'s or speed so im kind of :mad: so im thinking of RMAing it and lets say something like $200 and down that would be a good OCing mobo that well let me OC my P4 untill i get my 6300 and not so picky about the ram so can anyone help with any ideas :toast:

You seem as a real asshole, why did you buy the thing if you read the reviews and knew there was a problem with the BIOS overclocking?

well i sent it back already.

I'm glad you had to pay for the shipping costs, you RMA a fully functional board just because it has some issues with overclocking, well that would make you look like the tard here. :laugh:

Lemme tell you something... i am a service tech (and MT) for frys...and frys is the major distributer of ecs mobo. ECS SUKS.

First of, learn how to spell.

Secondly, there is absoloutely nothing wrong with ECS motherboards they have in years been making good motherboards for both gaming and power users so please be quiet.

plz dont invest your time and money in ecs.

Please learn how to spell.

there peformance is horrible.

Their performance is much better than many great Asus and Gigabyte P965 and P35 series motherboards.

only last for 2-3 months

I've had this motherboard for since it came out in 2006, still using it and it have survived on both gaming and vista in high definition video as well, it's a perfect motherboard.

Good HD sound as well.

and dies with out reason.

It hasn't died a bit, it's been in perfect condition ever since I got it, and it's been working P-E-R-F-E-C-T there is nothing better or worse about Asus or Gigabyte that you can't find on this motherboard.

Beside that Nforce motherboards are better for SLI, this motherboard could also handle 2 cards but one in 16x and one in 4x format and the thing about overclocking >

This motherboard could overclock, it can handle an overclock it's just that there were some slight bugs on the original BIOS that didn't save the memory settings.

Everything else works fine, with the updated BIOS you don't have the USB mouse problem anymore either, this thing works as I said really nice with Vista and Crysis as well.

It's a really stable board worth all the cash you spend on it, built upon the ICH8 chipset as well, more than I could say for some other cheap boards out there.

It's** happy not sad, at least it smiles for me, maybe you're just too ugly to get on it's bright side. :pimp:

things like smartfan can cause a computer to crash for no reason

Never ever crashed on this thing a bit not at all, but I have on Asus and Gigabyte motherboards.

I use PS/2 mouse because the only crash problem is around USB-mouse so since I knew about this problem I have never needed to crash. :pimp:

and there is no fix.

Always use the newest BIOS on all your motherboards, there are always new fixes.

just my 2 cents.

This is my 2 cents as well.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
You seem as a real asshole, why did you buy the thing if you read the reviews and knew there was a problem with the BIOS overclocking?

I'm glad you had to pay for the shipping costs, you RMA a fully functional board just because it has some issues with overclocking, well that would make you look like the tard here. :laugh:

First of, learn how to spell.

Secondly, there is absoloutely nothing wrong with ECS motherboards they have in years been making good motherboards for both gaming and power users so please be quiet.

Please learn how to spell.

Their performance is much better than many great Asus and Gigabyte P965 and P35 series motherboards.

I've had this motherboard for since it came out in 2006, still using it and it have survived on both gaming and vista in high definition video as well, it's a perfect motherboard.

Good HD sound as well.

It hasn't died a bit, it's been in perfect condition ever since I got it, and it's been working P-E-R-F-E-C-T there is nothing better or worse about Asus or Gigabyte that you can't find on this motherboard.

Beside that Nforce motherboards are better for SLI, this motherboard could also handle 2 cards but one in 16x and one in 4x format and the thing about overclocking >

This motherboard could overclock, it can handle an overclock it's just that there were some slight bugs on the original BIOS that didn't save the memory settings.

Everything else works fine, with the updated BIOS you don't have the USB mouse problem anymore either, this thing works as I said really nice with Vista and Crysis as well.

It's a really stable board worth all the cash you spend on it, built upon the ICH8 chipset as well, more than I could say for some other cheap boards out there.

It's** happy not sad, at least it smiles for me, maybe you're just too ugly to get on it's bright side. :pimp:

Never ever crashed on this thing a bit not at all, but I have on Asus and Gigabyte motherboards.

I use PS/2 mouse because the only crash problem is around USB-mouse so since I knew about this problem I have never needed to crash. :pimp:

Always use the newest BIOS on all your motherboards, there are always new fixes.

This is my 2 cents as well.

a lot of this post was degrading to the members who have been here a lot longer than you don't post like that on this forum.

here are some quotes i think you should read from the forum guidelines i took the liberty of bolding what you should look at
DanTheBanjoman said:
Posting in a thread

• [*] Be polite, if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all. This includes trolling, continuous use of bad language (ie. cussing), flaming and insulting others.
  • Short and pointless posts like "yeah", "me too" or "haha" can be made on the rest of the internet, not here. Post count doesn't increase your e-penis.
  • Stay on topic, changing the topic won't help the discussion.

DanTheBanjoman said:
Behavior that is inappropriate/should be reported

• [*]Insulting other forum members (calling someone makes you look stupid anyways)
  • Racist, hateful, and otherwise demeaning comments will not be tolerated; whether meant as a joke or not.
    [*]"Trolling"
    Wikipedia said:
    Trolls can be existing members of a community that rarely post and often contribute no useful information to the thread, but instead make argumentative posts in an attempt to discredit another person, more often than not based on what they thought was said rather than what was actually said by the other person, concentrating almost exclusively on facts irrelevant to the point of the conversation, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others. The key element under attack by a troll is the forum or group's recognized and agreed upon power structure. To this extent, a troll does not necessarily have to make malicious or incorrect comments
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(internet)
  • Posting useless/wrong information in response to a serious topic.
    [*] Non-constructive criticism of a person's English
  • Posting "FUD" (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt), especially if the poster is trying to pass it off as legitimate news.
  • Posting a lot of tech news articles in the forums. One or two things when the newsposters are all on vacation is nice, but in general, please leave the newsposting to the news posters. It's their job.
  • Post whoring (posting nonsense for the pure joy of it, otherwise known as spamming or thread-crapping).

and just in case you cant find the forum guidelines here is a link to dans original post

*******now to get semi-back on topic*******

i have used ECS mobos for years and have had issues with all of them first one i have was a K7S5A-pro which was great for most stuff until the sound died then the IDE-2 channel died then i gave up on the board. next i got one with a build in AXP 1400+ (new and free :D) board died in less than three months! next i purchased a PD930 and ECS P4M800-pro (combo @ frys) want to know what happened on my boot up? it decided hey im going to run @ 1/2 speed! so the 3ghz PD was running @ 1.5ghz and a 100mhz (400mhz eff) bus speed. updates etc. nothing worked i ended up getting a gigabyte i865 board which worked first try. so unless i just have the worst luck on the planet i think ECS might have a few issues with there product!

G33k

a lot of this post was degrading to the members who have been here a lot longer than you don't post like that on this forum.

Please replace your first letter in your sentence with a big letter. It's very annoying for me when people ignore what they learned in school.

and just in case you cant find the forum guidelines here is a link to dans original post

I've read them, I will express what I feel towards the guy. I also got a PM from his friend who sent me a hate PM just because of my post here.

So it's hypocritical to say that someone is being rude when you're being rude as well, not only talking about you though.

i have used ECS mobos for years and have had issues with all of them

That's to bad, but this guy RMA:ed a fully functional board just because it couldn't overclock.

So it's a whole other thing here, if yours came D.O.A or had like Sound Issues and such then I could see a RMA coming, not on a fully functional board though.

nothing worked i ended up getting a gigabyte i865 board which worked first try. so unless i just have the worst luck on the planet i think ECS might have a few issues with there product!

Gigabyte has worked for me as well, but their cheap boards have died on me in the past. This particular board has survived 1 and a half year, I don't overclock and I use a Quad Core CPU and play Crysis and everything on this thing, without this cheap board I wouldn't afford the rest of my components.

The board worked for him, just the overclocking didn't and for that he's a moron to return the board, the truth really hurts.

I know I'm rude as well, but I'm a honest rude guy and I don't return fully functional stuff as a board doesn't need overclocking to be functional or without overclock to be a D.O.A since overclocking is not a privilege you get it's for extreme power enthusiast and you get those on the more expensive boards.. :pimp:

so unless i just have the worst luck on the planet i think ECS might have a few issues with there product!

ECS Elitegroup is perfect I've used them for years, there is a few problems on every board out there, and if you read the reviews on newegg you will see plenty of 5 star votes on this motherboard since it fully works in vista and on other OS's in case you don't need overclocking and you have a PS/2 mouse this thing is perfect bargain performer since I have tried it for 1,5 years now and know it for a fact.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
G33k, just shut the hell up! Gawd!

**reports**

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
geek i myself like ECS products but you are out of line

G33k

G33k, just shut the hell up! Gawd!

I know I was being rude in my first post in this thread, but now you're being rude as well.

Your comment didn't dedicate any on-topic to the thread at all so reported yours as well. :mad:

geek i myself like ECS products but you are out of line

I was out of line, the post was made yesterday and I was just a bit mad of him returning a perfectly working motherboard.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Yeah well also bumping a thread that's almost 2 years old?! I still didn't see a point of your post, it's called trolling. Doesn't matter how you justify yourself, even if I was rude or not.

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
Behave guys, it's just a motherboard...

G33k

Yeah well also bumping a thread that's almost 2 years old?!

If double/tripple posting is allowed then sure bumping shouldn't be any harm.

And this is not bumping,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_(Internet)

A bumping is purely to raise a thread in order to get it to the top of the list and only for that reason, however if the subject of the thread has any value of another post then it wouldn't be any normal "bump" it would just be an answer.

I still didn't see a point of your post, it's called trolling.

I don't see any points in any of your posts either, and you're also an idiot.

it's called trolling.

If you've made up that in your mind then sure, newcommers always get the troll/noob remark so that doesn't really concern me.

It's more common to call people a troll now than it was a few years ago when the word didn't exist, now you call the people you hate on a forum for either troll or noob it's part of the internet culture.

Doesn't matter how you justify yourself, even if I was rude or not.

Well I don't give a shit, you only replied in this thread just to fight me and you've not been on-topic in anyway.

I'm done with this thread, Adiós.