• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ways to add clients to our Team

System Name Reebok
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @4.2GHz DO Stepping
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58-EXTREME
Cooling EK-Supreme HF High Flow CPU WB+2 X EK-FC9800 GTX GPU WBS+Gigabyte NB WB+XSPC 120QuadRadw SanAce fans
Memory 3 X 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-PC3 1600 CL8 Kit w Corsair Airflow Fan
Video Card(s) XFX Geforce 9800 GTX Black Edition + Point of View 9800 GTX Overclocked Edition+ XFX 9800GT
Storage 1TB Seagate SATAII + Seagate 600 GB SATA II
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2220WM
Case Coolermaster Stacker 830 Nvidia Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
Power Supply Corsair HX850W PSU
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Guys,

I have this idea in mind to add more clients to one's workforce. I'm just talkin about me and others might disagree or agree...which is totally cool.

One way that I managed to get 4-5 clients crunching is by this way.

I get a lot of requests from friends and their friends to fix their slowing comps or reinstall OS or just do some kind of troubleshooting. I do it for them...free of cost. I could charge them...they even tell me to...but I don't. Instead I install WCG on the machine that I am fixing, set it to operate only at 60-70% (less if its an old CPU) only when the user is idle. This way, their comps are gettin fixed, they are even donating their idle cycles for a good cause and the only thing that I am doing is adding them to my team. For the time that I have spent troubleshooting and fixing their comps...I think I could do this. I could not do this and fix their comps and call it quits...but those spare cycles would still go wasted. Nobody would get benefited. Sure I could explain to them about WCG...but it would take too much time to make them to understand and some are ignorant and arrogant. That's human nature.

If hackers could create botnets for generating DOS attacks and other malacious activity wherein the user is unknowingly takin part in a crime, why cant we get in some comps like this wherein the machine is being put to a noble cause only during idle time which would otherwise be wasted?

Though the output I am getting from comps added like this are less, they are putting in some numbers. Something is better than nothing!!

What do u guys think?

Regards,
Shiv

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Guys,

I have this idea in mind to add more clients to one's workforce. I'm just talkin about me and others might disagree or agree...which is totally cool.

One way that I managed to get 4-5 clients crunching is by this way.

I get a lot of requests from friends and their friends to fix their slowing comps or reinstall OS or just do some kind of troubleshooting. I do it for them...free of cost. I could charge them...they even tell me to...but I don't. Instead I install WCG on the machine that I am fixing, set it to operate only at 60-70% (less if its an old CPU) only when the user is idle. This way, their comps are gettin fixed, they are even donating their idle cycles for a good cause and the only thing that I am doing is adding them to my team. For the time that I have spent troubleshooting and fixing their comps...I think I could do this. I could not do this and fix their comps and call it quits...but those spare cycles would still go wasted. Nobody would get benefited. Sure I could explain to them about WCG...but it would take too much time to make them to understand and some are ignorant and arrogant. That's human nature.

If hackers could create botnets for generating DOS attacks and other malacious activity wherein the user is unknowingly takin part in a crime, why cant we get in some comps like this wherein the machine is being put to a noble cause only during idle time which would otherwise be wasted?

Though the output I am getting from comps added like this are less, they are putting in some numbers. Something is better than nothing!!

What do u guys think?

Regards,
Shiv

I have done this with several friends/family computers with permission. However, all but one ended up turning off or uninstalling after a couple of weeks.

stanhemi

System Name CRUNSHING MINI FARM
Processor Q9550 C1(lapped)@4105mhz 1,38vcore/Q6600 G0 @3010mhz 1,24vcore
Motherboard P5Q-E 8.5 x 483 fsb/P5QPL-AM 9x334fsb
Cooling watercooled storm,mcw60,2x240mm,micro res rev2,laing ddc3.2/Xig s1283(lapped)
Memory CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2X2G 1066MHZ@965-mhz 5-4-5-15/kingston kvr800mhz 2x1g
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRRE 4870 1G @850/1020/ati x1950 pro
Storage RAID0 2X RAPTOR 74gb/wd 250g
Display(s) 22'' LCD 1680x1050/lg 17" 1280x1024
Case Antec 900 white inside/crappy white case
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard
Power Supply ocz 700 watt mod xstream pro/enermax noiseblocker 485 watt
Software Windows 7 x64/vista 32
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06 18950
ishhhh:laugh:..... I know it for a good cause but maybe it not the good way (illegal no?)

I do not want to shock you or anything :toast:

i know for folding@home it illegal to do stuff like that. (at least it people you know ;))
But if these acceptable I would also make it :laugh: :laugh:

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not a good way to do buisiness. Tell them about it and let them make thier own decision. Im sure most will be glad to install it on thier machines in exchange for free repair. But you have to think, not only are you installing software on someone's computer without thier permission (which im sure is illegal) but youre also stealing from them, because youre stealing thier power. While thier computer is idle, WCG spins up and jacks up thier power bill (even if it is only a tiny bit). They dont know why, and cant fix it because you didnt tell them what you did. That, in my opinion, is stealing. Tell them what you want to do, and i'm sure they'll be glad to do it. Just say "Hey, instead of you paying me, I want you to donate your processor cycles to charity instead. That way we're both helping someone out."

Do what you like, but I think this violates the spirit of WCG completely. The very nature of DONATING requires you to know what youre doing. I myself considered doing this, as I repair computers for family/ friends/ coworkers for free in my spare time, but I decided against it because of that.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
That's been done on F@H (if memory serves, it was a warez/piracy group). The result was that "team" was banned.

Bottom line: they have to agree to it.

System Name Reebok
Cooling EK-Supreme HF High Flow CPU WB+2 X EK-FC9800 GTX GPU WBS+Gigabyte NB WB+XSPC 120QuadRadw SanAce fans
Video Card(s) XFX Geforce 9800 GTX Black Edition + Point of View 9800 GTX Overclocked Edition+ XFX 9800GT
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
Not a good way to do buisiness. Tell them about it and let them make thier own decision. Im sure most will be glad to install it on thier machines in exchange for free repair. But you have to think, not only are you installing software on someone's computer without thier permission (which im sure is illegal) but youre also stealing from them, because youre stealing thier power. While thier computer is idle, WCG spins up and jacks up thier power bill (even if it is only a tiny bit). They dont know why, and cant fix it because you didnt tell them what you did. That, in my opinion, is stealing. Tell them what you want to do, and i'm sure they'll be glad to do it. Just say "Hey, instead of you paying me, I want you to donate your processor cycles to charity instead. That way we're both helping someone out."

Do what you like, but I think this violates the spirit of WCG completely. The very nature of DONATING requires you to know what youre doing. I myself considered doing this, as I repair computers for family/ friends/ coworkers for free in my spare time, but I decided against it because of that.

I will give this a try next time!!;)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung 49" Ultrawide Gaming Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply ASUS Rog Thor 1200 Certified 1200W
Software Windows 11 64 Bit Home Edition
dusty,

You can look at it both ways. its a good thing and bad thing.

Good thing, well you said it, computers get fixed, they save money, all they do is crunch while on idle. However, if they are unaware and find out, it can be trouble for you depending on who it is you know?

I would just make sure they know and that they agree dude, for your own good.

bottomline, I kinda disagree more than I agree. Make sure they are aware.

D

Duxx

I'm going back to school soon, I'm going to ask the department head if we can turn out engineering computer lag to crunch. I don't know if they shut the computers down at night or not but its worth a shot!

Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Case Phanteks NV7
I'm going back to school soon, I'm going to ask the department head if we can turn out engineering computer lag to crunch. I don't know if they shut the computers down at night or not but its worth a shot!

man, i've been debating whether or not to do the same but with my office.

My company has 9 offices in the US. Our US headquarters are in New York. They have an I.T. department that does everything to our computers. For example one breaks, we gotta ship it out to them if its not fixable in house by me :laugh: If its a bad HDD they'll send me the new one, formatted everything ready to go and it's just pop it in and thats it. Then once you boot they finish doing any update and setup they need to.

So in other words they control remotely everything we do to our computers. I was thinking of bringing up to their attention installing WCG and setting it to run only when users log off or something so that work does not get affected you know. We got 40 computers or so in our office. They are all Core 2 Duo E8400's with 4GB of RAM and 80GB Raptors. How is that for crunching? :D

D

Duxx

man, i've been debating whether or not to do the same but with my office.

My company has 9 offices in the US. Our US headquarters are in New York. They have an I.T. department that does everything to our computers. For example one breaks, we gotta ship it out to them if its not fixable in house by me :laugh: If its a bad HDD they'll send me the new one, formatted everything ready to go and it's just pop it in and thats it. Then once you boot they finish doing any update and setup they need to.

So in other words they control remotely everything we do to our computers. I was thinking of bringing up to their attention installing WCG and setting it to run only when users log off or something so that work does not get affected you know. We got 40 computers or so in our office. They are all Core 2 Duo E8400's with 4GB of RAM and 80GB Raptors. How is that for crunching? :D

yup, we have prolly same computers lol All E8400's :D except over 9000 :rockout: j/k

Case Phanteks NV7
System Name Reebok
CP/ Duxx,

It would take pretty good convincing and followup to get the IT to agree. The local IT would then escalate to the IT managers for approval and all that shit. At least mine did.

Good luck though!!

Regarding installing WCG on my friends' computer when they come to fix it, I decided to let them know. The ones that I have already installed already...I spoke to them..one agreed to let it run...actually became more interested in it. Three did not. At least they agreed to let the unfinished WU finish!! There's no issue regarding power as all our friends in here stay in shared apts. and it doesnt matter if they keep the lappie on or off as the rent they pay is fixed which includes water and electricity.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I find that depending on others to run folding/WCG for me fails hard. It's best to just do it yourself using your own resources.