• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Real Temp Feature Requests

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
I would like to see a auto start up feature for windows .

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
If you are using Vista or Windows 7, you should let Task Scheduler be in charge of starting up programs for you. It gives you full control and logging of all startup items.

I don't like writing anything to a person's registry so I don't intend to add that feature. It's also simple to drag a link to RealTemp into your Startup folder.

In Vista that folder is located here:

C:\Users\Your Account Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

In XP or Vista it's easy to find by clicking on the Start button and going into the All Programs menu.

System Name Everchanging
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair Dark Hero
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 420mm
Memory 2x16GB Corsair DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 256GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) 2xSamsung 28" 4k HDR 144Hz
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) fiio K9 to Hifiman Sundara's via 4.4mm balanced cable
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 850w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 x64
Since I noticed you added the reading of NVidia temps, maybe fully add it so instead of just being a bit of the info above all the temps for the CPU, make a column just for it.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
If you are using Vista or Windows 7, you should let Task Scheduler be in charge of starting up programs for you. It gives you full control and logging of all startup items.

I don't like writing anything to a person's registry so I don't intend to add that feature. It's also simple to drag a link to RealTemp into your Startup folder.

In Vista that folder is located here:

C:\Users\Your Account Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

In XP or Vista it's easy to find by clicking on the Start button and going into the All Programs menu.
Yeah that worked out great . Man you have a great program here the best I have ever seen for temp readings .
All I ask is for an option to be built in that would make it easier for use to start it up during windows post up . but I feel you if you do not wish to do this is is all good . It sure is a sweet program thank you for it .

unclewebb

I thought about that but I didn't want to bloat up the interface.

At the moment, to see your GPU Min/Max info you can go down to the System Tray and set RealTemp to display Minimum or Maximum. There's also a small pop-up if you hover your mouse just below the GPU temp data for about 5 seconds which will also tell you more details about your Minimum and Maximum temperatures. If W1zzard wants to donate some code to project RealTemp to read ATI GPU temps then maybe I'll consider adding a fifth column to RealTemp.

Thanks trickson. I'm a little anal about programs adding junk to my registry and then never cleaning up after wards that I try to avoid doing that to others. Maybe I'll come up with an option like that for users that don't like to copy links to their Startup folder. Thanks for the suggestions.

newblood

I have Real Temp in my startup folder. But when the application loads, it is minimized into my task bar. Is there any way for it to load directly into the system tray?

Currently I have to right click the application and select minimize on every boot.

unclewebb

In the Settings window of RealTemp, do you have the Task Bar option enabled?
You also need to have enabled at least one System Tray icon so it can minimize to the System Tray.

What version of RealTemp and what operating system are you using?

The latest version of RealTemp is available here:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

I'm using Windows Vista at the moment and when the Task Bar option is turned off, RealTemp minimizes to the System Tray upon start up. I'm using the Task Scheduler feature of Vista.

You need to be a little more specific so I can help you out.

System Name My Home Built All Purpose Rig
Processor I7 3770 @ 4.4 gigs
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 Heatsink
Memory 16 Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2
Storage 2 WD 640 gig, WD 1 TB Black, WD 750 gig (eSATA)
Display(s) Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080)
Case HSPC Top Deck Tech Station
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks are for insecure sissies. I'd rather eat a carrot.
I'd like to see an option to display in Fahrenheit.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The only think I can think of, and maybe it is already there and I am just missing the option, but it would be nice to have an option to flash the system temps in the system tray when they reach a certain user defined temp. Maybe even an option to have them change colors depending on temperatures. Something like under 40C is Blue, 40-50C is Green, 50-60C is Yellow, 60-70C is Orange, and over 70C is Red.

System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard ASRock B450 PRO4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory HyperX Predator Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Storage ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB + Intel 535 Series 120GB + WD 6400AAKS
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Antec Signature 650
Software Win 10
[..] option to flash the system temps in the system tray when they reach a certain user defined temp. Maybe even an option to have them change colors depending on temperatures. Something like under 40C is Blue, 40-50C is Green, 50-60C is Yellow, 60-70C is Orange, and over 70C is Red.
Hehe, remember me Kevin? :p

unclewebb

Mike89: When people talk computer CPU temperatures they talk in Celsius. I think Core Temp offers a Fahrenheit option.

Celsius is pretty easy to learn. Head to Google and type in:

70C in F

and it will do the conversion for you. Most of the time your CPU will be between 40C and 70C so write a little chart out every 5C and within a week, Celsius will make sense. Water freezes at 0C and boils at 100C (more or less). Nice and simple.

newtekie1: Core Temp is also offering a feature similar to this in his latest beta. I might add this feature some day but it's still a ways in the future. Generally if your computer is stable then the core temperature of your CPU is just a number. I've run Prime Small FFTs for 3 hours with the CPU fan turned off at a core temperature of 98C and nothing bad happened. You only need to be concerned about your core temperature if your computer is crashing and if it crashes then the color of your temperature icon before it crashed isn't really useful information.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Mike89: When people talk computer CPU temperatures they talk in Celsius. I think Core Temp offers a Fahrenheit option.

70C in F

and it will do the conversion for you. Most of the time your CPU will be between 40C and 70C so write a little chart out every 5C and within a week, Celsius will make sense. Water freezes at 0C and boils at 100C (more or less). Nice and simple.

newtekie1: Core Temp is also offering a feature similar to this in his latest beta. I might add this feature some day but it's still a ways in the future. Generally if your computer is stable then the core temperature of your CPU is just a number. I've run Prime Small FFTs for 3 hours with the CPU fan turned off at a core temperature of 98C and nothing bad happened. You only need to be concerned about your core temperature if your computer is crashing and if it crashes then the color of your temperature icon before it crashed isn't really useful information.

I used to be stuck in F myself. After using computer temperature reading programs for so long, I have just adapted to using C. I don't really know what a tempertature in C is in F, but I know what temperatures are safe in C, and that is really all that matters.

As for the systemtray temps changing color, it isn't really an issue of stability I am worried about. I just like to use my computer to browse the internet and such when stability testing, and usually minimize Real Temp to the system tray, and it would be nice to have it change so it catches the corner of my eye if a temp goes out of range. I'm usually end up pushing the voltages and clocks too far, and temps get out of hand.

Not really a major issue as the temps are down there anyway, and I can see them with a quick glance, but just something I thought migh make a great program slightly better. Just figured if you hadn't thought about adding it, I would suggest it, that is what this thread is for after all.:toast:

I know how to do the conversion. I just prefer to see temps in Fahrenheit. I don't go outside and go, "it's kind of warm, it must be around blank degrees Celius". As long as I've been around computers (and it's been quite some time now), I still don't think in Celcius, I have to convert everything over. Sort of like the inches/millimeter thing. Just what I grew up on and processed. When I see Celius, I just see a number and generally know what it's supposed to be for a cpu, but when I see a temp in Fahreheit, I actually know how hot that is. All I'm saying is it would be nice to have the option to display in either.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if new features are still being added to realtemp, but would it be possible to add an mch feature as well into realtemp? Supposedly a program named MCHTemp has the ability to read off the northbridge sensor in intel chipsets and give readings for those. If this feature was integrated into realtemp that would be spectacular

unclewebb

I'm working on adding core i9/i7/i5/i3 support to RealTemp at the moment. I tried running MCHTemp but it didn't have a signed driver so I couldn't get it to run. If you find any information about how to read northbridge temperatures then send it my way. That would be a useful addition to RealTemp.

Mike89: It only took 6 months but the next version of RealTemp will have a Fahrenheit option.

Mike89: It only took 6 months but the next version of RealTemp will have a Fahrenheit option.

Mikey thanks you very much. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's brain thinks in Fahrenheit. At least now there will be a choice so the Celius users won't be affected. Thanks again!

SuperJoker

I like hearing stuff like that! :toast:

I originally introduced RealTemp over at XS. RealTemp has some new theories about core temperatures as well as some different TjMax values so I thought it would be wise to try and win over some of the hard core guys first so I headed to XS at the beginning of March. The feedback there has been excellent and their suggestions have really helped in the development of useful features for RealTemp. I'm hoping to add a temperature alarm feature before the next major release for those that like to run Prime or do some stress testing while watching TV or whatever.

W1zzard offered to host RT and introduced it to a new crowd and that's worked out very well also. I'm not just saying this to suck up to W1zzard but I find myself checking out TechPowerUp more and more each day. Lots of useful information recently about the new ATI/AMD graphics cards as well as plenty of no BS reviews. I like that.

Only problem is that there's so much good stuff to read that I don't have enough time left over to work on RealTemp. :)

Lets see how about supporting this cpu:

Intel QX6700 B1 2.66GHz[3.52GHz] Quad Core cpu(3.30 shows two cores, 3.00 won't work upon detecting this cpu and 2.70 shows all 4 cores)

Last edited:
Unclewebb, is there any chance to get a feature like in CoreTemp. I miss the single icon mode where it shows only one temperature and that is the highest of all cores. So only the temperature of the hottest core is displayed in the traybar. Info for each core is ok, but it takes too much space in the traybar. So, for now i'm forced to use CoreTemp just because of this.

unclewebb

SuperJoker: What operating system are you using? Just the other day I found a bug within XP that was causing some of the missing core issues that have been a RealTemp problem for various versions.

In the About box of RealTemp, what does it show for the 3.30 version? Right click on the title bar to find the About... option. There was a big bug in 3.30 RC12 which I quickly removed from my site within about 12 hours but other sites got a hold of it and spread it far and wide. Try the 3.30 RC11 version and let me know if it finds your missing cores. I haven't heard any complaints about that version.

The QX processors have a few unique features. Hopefully if I send you a PM you can work with me to get RealTemp working correctly on your CPU. I wish I had access to a few QX CPUs but I don't.

RejZoR: On 99.9% of the CPUs I've seen, core 0 is the most accurate core for reported temperatures. It's almost as if Intel puts a little more effort into calibrating that one and uses the correct TJMax for that core. If I only wanted to look at one temperature number, I'd look at that one. I'll put your suggestion on the things to do list. The bloated RealTemp Settings window needs to be broken up into a few different windows controlled by a tab similar to CPU-Z for easier access. Once I find everyone's missing cores, then I can do this and add a few more features.

SuperJoker

SuperJoker: What operating system are you using? Just the other day I found a bug within XP that was causing some of the missing core issues that have been a RealTemp problem for various versions.

In the About box of RealTemp, what does it show for the 3.30 version? Right click on the title bar to find the About... option. There was a big bug in 3.30 RC12 which I quickly removed from my site within about 12 hours but other sites got a hold of it and spread it far and wide. Try the 3.30 RC11 version and let me know if it finds your missing cores. I haven't heard any complaints about that version.

The QX processors have a few unique features. Hopefully if I send you a PM you can work with me to get RealTemp working correctly on your CPU. I wish I had access to a few QX CPUs but I don't.

RejZoR: On 99.9% of the CPUs I've seen, core 0 is the most accurate core for reported temperatures. It's almost as if Intel puts a little more effort into calibrating that one and uses the correct TJMax for that core. If I only wanted to look at one temperature number, I'd look at that one. I'll put your suggestion on the things to do list. The bloated RealTemp Settings window needs to be broken up into a few different windows controlled by a tab similar to CPU-Z for easier access. Once I find everyone's missing cores, then I can do this and add a few more features.
XP x64, My cpu is as I said a QX6700 B1 or ES(Engineering Sample) cpu and as such a few years ago Intel had the Unicode crippled in the Bios to show only two cores for this cpu, Windows ignores this of course as Boinc will use 3 cores as I've set Boinc to do now or 4 cores If I wanted to, It's a warm cpu for It's age, But then It's the grand daddy of all quad core cpus(I got It before the retail cpus were released). :D I'm using 3.30 RC11 now, It sees only the gpu and two cores, the other two are grayed out, In 3.00 It says cpu not supported and 2.70 supports the cpu as It's pre Unicode and so It works.

Last edited:

unclewebb

Thanks for the detailed post. I didn't realize you were using an ES processor so now I don't feel so bad that RealTemp is choking. :)

I'll try compiling a non unicode version of RealTemp for you, hopefully later tonight, to see if that will work properly. If you can provide detailed feedback like you've provided so far then I should be able to get this figured out for you.

SuperJoker

Thanks for the detailed post. I didn't realize you were using an ES processor so now I don't feel so bad that RealTemp is choking. :)

I'll try compiling a non unicode version of RealTemp for you, hopefully later tonight, to see if that will work properly. If you can provide detailed feedback like you've provided so far then I should be able to get this figured out for you.

I do My best and I'll be standing by, I hope the code if successful could go into the next version of Real Temp 3.xx. The retail QX6700 started at B3, Which I had one once, Oh well.

Later.

Update:

Intel® Processor Identification Utility - Windows* Version

Last edited:

unclewebb

The original retail Core 2 Duos were CPUID 6F6 (B2 stepping) and the retail QX6700 was a B3 stepping with a CPUID of 6F7. Your CPU has a CPUID of 6F5 (B1 stepping) so it's definitely an early Quad.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9UL

There is a program called i7 Turbo in the RealTemp 3.30 RC11 download. How many cores does it show for your CPU? I'm trying to decide if this is a unicode problem or something else.

SuperJoker

The original retail Core 2 Duos were CPUID 6F6 (B2 stepping) and the retail QX6700 was a B3 stepping with a CPUID of 6F7. Your CPU has a CPUID of 6F5 (B1 stepping) so it's definitely an early Quad.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9UL

There is a program called i7 Turbo in the RealTemp 3.30 RC11 download. How many cores does it show for your CPU? I'm trying to decide if this is a unicode problem or something else.
My original post was moderated for no reason, I expect this one to hopefully get through, Otherwise We're through.