• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BIOS flash my 4650 AGP.. Safe?

So I bought XFX's AGP 1GB DDR2 4650 and found out that the BIOS on the card doesn't support OverDrive. I made sure of it after by using RBE. This pissed me off quite a bit. I contacted them because I thought perhaps something was wrong, and they told me the card supports OverDrive and that I must be doing something wrong. I then had to argue with them for quite some time until they told me the technician says the card doesn't support OverDrive <_<.

I had posted about it before here:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Now that they tell me the BIOS doesn't support it. I need to figure out a way to enable it.

The ASUS PCI-E 512MB DDR2 4650 BIOS that's here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/29128/Asus.HD4650.512.080909.html

supports OverDrive..

So my question is: Would it be safe to flash my cards BIOS with that ASUS one? Even though it's PCI-E?

Thanks.

(And it's not that I need OverDrive to overclock. But it's that it seems to need to be present in order for any other programs to overclock my card. I've tried ATI Tray Tool and Riva Tuner.)

System Name The Lizard v2.4
Processor Intel Celeron G1840 (for the time being
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81-S2PH
Cooling Intel Stock Fan
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 750Ti (For the time being)
Storage 500GB Samsung F1, 160GB Maxtor "Older than god"
Display(s) AOC 28' LCD
Case Coolermaster N200
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec VP500P
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores No crashes in the last 24 minutes.
dont do it, the asus is pci-e and thus, pcb, memory, all is diferent. DONT

also the xfx uses a agp to pcie bridge which the asus lacks. Simply, dont do it.

EDIT: Did you try GPU TOOL¿?

dont do it, the asus is pci-e and thus, pcb, memory, all is diferent. DONT

also the xfx uses a agp to pcie bridge which the asus lacks. Simply, dont do it.

EDIT: Did you try GPU TOOL¿?

K.

And yeah I've tried GPU TOOL. Doesn't work.

I've resorted to just overclocking the BIOS and flashing it now. Will take a little more time, but it's my only real option.

V

Vrgn86

K.

And yeah I've tried GPU TOOL. Doesn't work.

I've resorted to just overclocking the BIOS and flashing it now. Will take a little more time, but it's my only real option.

GPU tool works on my Sapphire AGP 3850! so does ccc overdrive, hard to believe that it don't work on a newer card. Have you tried ATI tool?? It works also.

GPU tool works on my Sapphire AGP 3850! so does ccc overdrive, hard to believe that it don't work on a newer card. Have you tried ATI tool?? It works also.

As I said in my first post, XFX's 4650 BIOS doesn't support OverDrive.

XFX support told me this after I debated with them for a long time:
"Hi, we got word from our engineers. The circuitry of the pcb won`t support the overdrive option in the drivers. This isn`t something that can be changed by the bios it is the design of the pcb so it cannot be changed. Daniel"

But I beg to differ. I've managed to overclock this card through the BIOS from 600/400, to a stable 720/490.

Last edited:
System Name The Venerable One
Processor Intel Core i7 980x 3.33GHz
Motherboard EVGA X58 FTW3
Cooling Big Ass fan pointed at the motherboard with the side panel off FTW
Memory 12GB DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked X2 in SLI
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256MB SSD/1.5TB HDD internal
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX 24" 1920X1200
Case SK-503 Super Case
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply SeaSonic 1000W Platinum Rated
Software Windows 7 Home SP1 64-bit
Benchmark Scores epic
I flashed my BIOS on my HD 3850 AGP to not downscale the core clock speed when not in game mode. Increased the voltages also to always be in game mode to be safe.

If that card doesn't support overdrive, isn't there other ways to OC the card without flashing the BIOS? RivaTuner for example?

I flashed my BIOS on my HD 3850 AGP to not downscale the core clock speed when not in game mode. Increased the voltages also to always be in game mode to be safe.

If that card doesn't support overdrive, isn't there other ways to OC the card without flashing the BIOS? RivaTuner for example?

Nope, I've tried everything that's out there.

System Name The Venerable One
Processor Intel Core i7 980x 3.33GHz
Motherboard EVGA X58 FTW3
Cooling Big Ass fan pointed at the motherboard with the side panel off FTW
Memory 12GB DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked X2 in SLI
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256MB SSD/1.5TB HDD internal
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX 24" 1920X1200
Case SK-503 Super Case
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply SeaSonic 1000W Platinum Rated
Software Windows 7 Home SP1 64-bit
Benchmark Scores epic
What is your CPU? If it is single core then GPU OC most likely is not needed. I can't OC my HD 3850 because my P4 bottlenecks it at stock settings.

What is your CPU? If it is single core then GPU OC most likely is not needed. I can't OC my HD 3850 because my P4 bottlenecks it at stock settings.

I have a 3.2 GHZ P4 HT. So 2 threads.

The overclocking has helped a lot though. Brought my ATI Tray Tool score up about 2000 points or so and my frame rates have become a bit more stable.