• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help booting from Vantec NexStar CX HDD Enclosure

System Name Gearbox || Server
Processor i5 3570K @ 4.0Ghz || E8400 @ Stock 3Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 || Gigabyte EP41-UD3L
Cooling Stock || Stock
Memory 8GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 @ 1600mhz || 4GB Kingston Value DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270X Direct CU II TOP @ 1120/1500 || N/A
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB || 1TB WD Green, 2TB WD Green, 3TB WD Red
Display(s) HP x23 LED 23" Full HD Panel
Case Corsair 200R || Open-Air
Audio Device(s) Audioengine D1 + Logitech Z623/Audio Technica ATH-M50 || N/A
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts Platinum 650 W || Antec Neo Eco 450 W
Software Windows 8.1 Update 3 Pro 64 || Ubuntu Server 14.04 64
Today I bought a Vantec NexStar CX HDD Enclosure and it has Windows 7 on it. My dad's mobo won't allow be to boot to a USB HDD or any USB device. Is there any way to force a USB boot? I want to be able to set priorities like in the bios. Stoopid pentium 4 board...:slap:

T

twilyth

if the mobo doesn't support it, then that's it. You can always check the web site of the motherboard maker and see what the last bios version was and if there were any changes since your version that might add that functionality but for a P4 board, I don't know. I can't remember when that feature became common.

Of course you can always crack open the case and pop the drive into the computer. This should be straight forward, but I have seen one case where the 'cable select' feature is set on the drive jumpers. In that case, you'll need to post again and keep bumping your thread until someone who knows about this stuff sees it and can advise you.

IIRC, in that case I just moved the jumper to master or slave position.

All this assumes it is an IDE drive. If its SATA, then the transplant should be simple. Remove from A, insert into B, connect cables.

edit: Ignore the SATA part, I'm tired. Obviously a P4 won't have SATA connectors. But you can get SATA-IDE adapters. They're not that expensive. Less than $50 IIRC

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
its not uncommon for a later p4 board to have 1 or 2 sata ports,

my bros 478?(not sure of exact pin count but its somewhere around there) skt board has 2 sata ports, was made in 2002 ish i think.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
boot from USB wont work with windows 7 for sure.

I'm unsure on vista, but i know XP can do it.

The OS's were not designed for that.

T

twilyth

boot from USB wont work with windows 7 for sure.

I'm unsure on vista, but i know XP can do it.

The OS's were not designed for that.

If the bios is the layer between the hardware and the o/s, then if the bios sees it, why would the o/s care? It would have to go out of its way to detect that the drive was not onboard and THEN reject it. IDK. Could you go into a little more detail about why specifically W7 won't boot from an external USB drive?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
If the bios is the layer between the hardware and the o/s, then if the bios sees it, why would the o/s care? It would have to go out of its way to detect that the drive was not onboard and THEN reject it. IDK. Could you go into a little more detail about why specifically W7 won't boot from an external USB drive?

because the OS needs to support loading from those drivers. considering the HDD activity vista had, booting from USB there would totally kill performance of the OS.

as for windows 7, MS deliberately had boot from USB removed - microsoft removed support from it officially. I dont know why, but i've seen people talking about it.

T

twilyth

because the OS needs to support loading from those drivers. considering the HDD activity vista had, booting from USB there would totally kill performance of the OS.

as for windows 7, MS deliberately had boot from USB removed - microsoft removed support from it officially. I dont know why, but i've seen people talking about it.

OK, that I can believe. Fuckin' M$!!! :banghead:

So they really are going out of their way to recognize the type of boot drive and then cock block the USB drives.

Just as I was to type how I feel about that, it occurred to me that the greedy bastard might have a good reason. Well, not "good" in the normal sense, but in the M$ sense of defending their fiefdom. If you've got the OS on and external drive, then maybe you can get away with buying only one copy of the OS. Yes, the drivers would be different, but some enterprising geek will probably find a way around that. And if not, just set it up as dual boot and hide the first partition when you install on the second.

Thanks.