• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Batman: Arkham Asylum Enables AA Only on NVIDIA Hardware on PCs

System Name AMD | Intel | Chumpy
Processor PHII 955BE Stock | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 | EX58 - UD5 | E760 4 Way SLI
Cooling Zalman 9700 CNPS | Water Loop | Water Loop
Memory 4 GB XMS3 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x 9600GSO, GTX260 216 | 2 x GTX 260 216 | GTX 260 216, 9600 GSO
Storage WD 640GB | Couple o' 5400RPMs | WD 1TB
Case Cosmos S | Lancool K62 Dragonlord | Lian Li PC-P80 Armor
Power Supply TX850 | HX 1000 | HX 1000
Software Win 7 Home Premium | Win 7 Ultimate | Vista Home Premium
Well, and just looking at the history of ATI driver releases. Almost every game that comes out gets a patch awhile after the fact, and continuously so. I'd say ATI has a more reactionary approach when it comes to supporting games, rather than a proactive one.

What doesn't make sense to me is why everyone was so ready to jump down NVIDIA's throat. And seriously, hear me out on this one. There are shit tons of games that are 'TWIMTBP' and have in game AA for ATI. Why would they cock block ATI on this game alone? This reeks more of ATI not supporting the game out of the gate, like most games that get emergency patches from them, than it does anything else.

Even the ATI fanboys should have looked at this one with a grain of salt.

System Name Mace Windu
Processor Intel i7 2600K @ 4.8GHz Vcore @ 1.4
Motherboard ASUS WS Revolution P67
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900 MAX
Memory 4x2GB GSkill RipJaw DDR3 1600MHz @ 7-8-7-24
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X TRI-X
Storage 128GB Crucial C300 SSD (system), 600GB WD Velociraptor (Games), 250GB External (Everything Else)
Display(s) ASUS 24" LED LCD 2ms
Case Corsair 650D
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence XTS w/ Astro A40 5.8 wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 850W >90% EFF@300w-650w ~89%@Full Load
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I agree, but it's even worse IMO. From what I read they have discovered all this after the game has launched!!! That means they had no contact with the developer at all! I mean if you are a GPU maker, don't you contact developers and try to optimize before launch or at least start working on the optimization of the full game before it launches? Don't you ask for a copy? IMO if they cared so little about that game that they didn't even contact them, AMD deserves every bit of unoptimized code they get. Especially if it comes from a feature that has never been there and was developed for Nvidia at their request, paid by their money. The fact that the optimization works on Ati cards as well, changes nothing IMO. If I was the developer I would have done the same.

IMO people should stop caring IMO move on to the next game IMO game is simplistic and easy to beat IMO :spoiler: batman dies :spoiler:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

No, it requires a lot of GPU power to render all the extra objects created by PhysX, it requires next to no GPU power to actually run PhysX. The rendering of the extra objects would all depend on the cards ability to render graphics.

Well, and just looking at the history of ATI driver releases. Almost every game that comes out gets a patch awhile after the fact, and continuously so. I'd say ATI has a more reactionary approach when it comes to supporting games, rather than a proactive one.

What doesn't make sense to me is why everyone was so ready to jump down NVIDIA's throat. And seriously, hear me out on this one. There are shit tons of games that are 'TWIMTBP' and have in game AA for ATI. Why would they cock block ATI on this game alone? This reeks more of ATI not supporting the game out of the gate, like most games that get emergency patches from them, than it does anything else.

What is even more interesting, and something I just noticed, is that in the Demo graphics launcher, it is even referred to as "nVidia Multi Sample Anti-Aliasing". Kind of makes sense to call it that if nVidia was the one that paid to have it added to the game...

Last edited:
I

InTeL-iNsIdE

Well, and just looking at the history of ATI driver releases. Almost every game that comes gets a patch awhile after the fact, and continuously so. I'd say ATI has a more reactionary approach when it comes to supporting games, rather than a proactive one.

What doesn't make sense to me is why everyone was so ready to jump down NVIDIA's throat. And seriously, hear me out on this one. There are shit tons of games that are TWIMTBP and have in game for ATI. Why would they cock block ATI on this game alone? This reeks more of ATI not supporting the game out of the gate, like most games that get emergency patches from them, than it does anything else.

Surely you dont think this is the only game where nvidia have been playing dirty ? since the whole twimtbp there have been numerous claims regarding different games of poor performance on ATI cards that doesnt make sense looking at similar performing nvidia cards, and to be honest this thread is just repetitive now on both sides.

I really could care less, the more I see "TWIMTBP" in games the more I will not buy another nvidia card simple as that, and if it comes to it I wont buy the games if it continues and both nvidia and the game devs can go screw themselves, this is the view of many people including nvidia users aswell!

Its not good practice and if they carry on with these tactics it will hurt them in the end.

I'm pretty sure most of the instances of people complaining about 'TWIMTBP' was fixed later in an ATI driver fix or a game fix that wasn't related to NVIDIA tampering.

Start naming the issues with 'TWIMTBP' that you've seen and we'll research how many turned out to be NVIDIA straight up tampering or just a broken driver that was later fixed. I'm not being an ass I'm curious to know the numbers on this myself.

Edit: If that's the case Newtekie, than it looks like it truely is an NVIDIA added feature. I almost expect to see NVIDIA demanding an apology from Ian McNaughton regarding this.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Surely you dont think this is the only game where nvidia have been playing dirty ? since the whole twimtbp there have been numerous claims regarding different games of poor performance on ATI cards that doesnt make sense looking at similar performing nvidia cards, and to be honest this thread is just repetitive now on both sides.

I really could care less, the more I see "TWIMTBP" in games the more I will not buy another nvidia card simple as that, and if it comes to it I wont buy the games if it continues and both nvidia and the game devs can go screw themselves, this is the view of many people including nvidia users aswell!

Its not good practice and if they carry on with these tactics it will hurt them in the end.

How is that playing dirty exactly? TWIMTBP's entire purpose it to optimize games to run better on nVidia hardware. Why are you surprised when it actually works? And furthermore, how it is playing dirty? People like to claim games running worse on ATi hardware than on comparable nVidia hardware is proof that nVidia is somehow hindering ATi's performance, but it is really just proof that TWIMTBP program is doing its job, optimizing performance on nVidia hardware.

ATi had a similar program, but they dropped it in favor of doing their own optimizations in drivers. It is just two different aproaches to optimization.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V Evo
Cooling Xigmatek HDT S1283
Memory 4GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3
Video Card(s) GigaByte Radeon HD3870 512MB GDDR4
Storage WD Caviar Black 640GB, Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster F2380M
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy ES 5.1
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64
No, it requires a lot of GPU power to render all the extra objects created by PhysX, it requires next to no GPU power to actually run PhysX. The rendering of the extra objects would all depend on the cards ability to render graphics.

Well, there should be a lot of shit, that come with physx enabled, because it halved the fps!
(then high physx required again a 20% over that halved fps)

Also, CUDA is designed by its nature to be hardware independent. Once the hardware vender writes the driver to support CUDA, it will work. There really isn't a whole lot nVidia can do to make it perform worse on one over the other, and if they did, it would immediately send up red flags because the difference would be drastic.

Nvidia wants to spread physx, right? Then why should ati make a driver for cuda, if it already has its own api (ati stream 1.x, 2.x), and there is a common api called opencl (currently at 1.0)? If nvidia wants to spread physx, then he should port it to opencl, to become available to every card.
Nvidia would do this, except... if he wants to manipulate with this physx stuff.

Benetanegia

How is that playing dirty exactly? TWIMTBP's entire purpose it to optimize games to run better on nVidia hardware. Why are you surprised when it actually works? And furthermore, how it is playing dirty?

ATi had a similar program, but they dropped it in favor of doing their own optimizations in drivers. It is just two different aproaches to optimization.

Anger fanbois are not able to differentiate between improving performance for one card and making the other run slower. Same people don't know what optimization is, so you know why that happens. Then again all of them expect a 20% improvement with the specific driver releases, and see that as normal when it does happen, but think that Nvidia achieved that optimization and more through various months of work? No, that's imposible.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V Evo
Cooling Xigmatek HDT S1283
Memory 4GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3
Video Card(s) GigaByte Radeon HD3870 512MB GDDR4
Storage WD Caviar Black 640GB, Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster F2380M
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy ES 5.1
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64
but it is really just proof that TWIMTBP program is doing its job, optimizing performance on nVidia hardware.

...meantime excluding ati completely from developing.

troyrae360

System Name My Computer!
Processor AMD 6400+ Black @ 3.5
Motherboard Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA790X DS4
Cooling Gigabyte G-Power 2 pro
Memory 2x2 gig Adata 800
Video Card(s) HD3870x2 @ 900gpu and 999mem
Storage 2x wd raid edition 120gig + 1 samsung 320 + samsung 250
Display(s) Samsung 40inch series6 full HD 1080p
Case NZXT Lexa
Audio Device(s) ALC889A HD audio with Enables a Superior Audio Experience (on board)
Power Supply Vantec ION2+ 550w
Software Vista Home pream 64
I think it dose happen, What about Assissans creed, it come out with DX 10.1 and it worked perfectley, BUT then all of a sudden it dissapered. I was under the understanding that that had somthing to do with nv not being able to support it

You know what, you are the biggest fanboy on this thread which is quite obvious from your constant ass licking and defending of nvidia.

Its bullshit because there is no reason other than nvidia paying the devs not to optimise it for nvidia, but to give worse performance on ATI cards.

But hey, you defend them all you like, I could care less and like I said the more it goes on then the more I will not buy an nvidia product, and a lot of other people feel the exact same way.

Uhh there's alot of reasons for Devs to not optimize it to 100% for either. One key one being time costs money. Another being the more you screw with code optimizing it, the more chance you have to break it and create more issues for yourself. The more time spent on something the more money it costs. What's the best way to cut costs? Here's a scenario.

Well, the game runs at 95% on both systems, but they can get it 100% with another 20000 extra man hours. To them, 95% is good enough and they don't need to pay developers wage x 20000 hours. Why? Because at the end of the day, its still playable and both camps can run the game. Nobody is losing out.

But wait! Here's NVIDIA saying 'Hey, we'll give you money, you put TWIMTBP at the front, and spend that time to optimize it for our hardware to 100%. Leave ATI at 95%, we don't care.' Right there, you have the idea of TWIMTBP. Its not meant to take 100% and make it 112.5%. Its not meant to take 100% ATI down to 50%.

I think that aside from small optimization tweaks, you'll find people's complaints about TWIMTBP eventually turned out to be something else as the cause.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Well, there should be a lot of shit, that come with physx enabled, because it halved the fps!
(then high physx required again a 20% over that halved fps)

That has been the case since PhysX was first release in the market, long before nVidia even entered the picture, when PhysX was still owned by Ageia.

The graphical performance hit caused by PhysX is very large.

Nvidia wants to spread physx, right? Then why should ati make a driver for cuda, if it already has its own api (ati stream 1.x, 2.x), and there is a common api called opencl (currently at 1.0)? If nvidia wants to spread physx, then he should port it to opencl, to become available to every card.
Nvidia would do this, except... if he wants to manipulate with this physx stuff.

Actually, ATi wasn't even tasked with making the driver, an outside developer was willing to do it, they just needs some support from ATi. And at the time ATi Stream was, and still is, pretty much unused, I don't believe it even existed when CUDA and PhysX was developed. And nVidia just release an OpenCL compliant driver, because OpenCL has only been around for a short while also.

And at this point, it is kind of pointless to port PhysX over, as it is pretty much dead thanks to DX11's implementation of physics.

Benetanegia

Game developers owe nothing to Ati. If Ati doesn't help them, why should they help Ati at all? And it goes far beyond that, because not only they do not help them optimize, but they don't even care enough to be around when the launch is close, and show some interest. So as I said they owe them nothing.

They don't owe you anything either, nor they owe me anything, they make a product the better they can or the better they want and if it's good enough for you, you buy it. If you don't like it you don't buy it and they loose. That's how it works.

System Name not very good (wants throwing out window most of time)
Processor xp3000@ 2.17ghz pile of sh** /i7 920 DO on air for now
Motherboard msi kt6 delta oap /gigabyte x58 ud7 (rev1.0)
Cooling 1 green akasa 8cm(rear) 1 multicoloured akasa(hd) 1 12 cm (intake) 1 9cm with circuit from old psu
Memory 1.25 gb kingston hyperx @333mhz/ 3gb corsair dominator xmp 1600mhz
Video Card(s) (agp) hd3850 not bad not really suitable for mobo n processor/ gb hd5870
Storage wd 320gb + samsung 320 gig + wd 1tb 6gb/s
Display(s) compaq mv720
Case thermaltake XaserIII skull / coolermaster cm 690II
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply corsair hx 650 w which solved many problems (blew up) /850w corsair
Software xp pro sp3/ ? win 7 ultimate (32 bit)
Benchmark Scores 6543 3d mark05 ye ye not good but look at the processor /uknown as still not benched
i think what is needed here is a little calm.gif people there really is no need for anyone here to get heated it's just a computer game yes nvidia has done something to it , so what, are you going to die from it ?is it going to make your house burn down and eat your children? .mussels said this thread was getting over the top, please be carefull or this thread will face being closed,
we are all adults here not children in a school yard
anyways both cards have there plus's and minus's i will probably get both ,
why because i can;)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
You know what, you are the biggest fanboy on this thread which is quite obvious from your constant ass licking and defending of nvidia.

Its bullshit because there is no reason other than nvidia paying the devs not to optimise it for nvidia, but to give worse performance on ATI cards.

But hey, you defend them all you like, I could care less and like I said the more it goes on then the more I will not buy an nvidia product, and a lot of other people feel the exact same way.

Says the guy with the big ATi symble under his name....

And because you are so blinded, you can't even believe that it might entirely be possible that nVidia is actually doing what they say they are doing and paying for the game to be optimized on their hardware. You find that way too far fetched, and instead believe that they are simply paying to have performance retarded on ATi hardware...that makes sense...I guess...:laugh:

You know the simplest solution is usually the correct solution. Which seems simpler to you? The program is being used like nVidia says, and optimizing the game to run on their hardware OR there is a huge conpiracy where nVidia uses the program as a front to hinder performance on ATi hardware to screw ATi over?

But now that you have degraded to simply flaming instead of making intelligent points to backup your argument, I'll ignore you now, as you have lost.

No, not really.

I

InTeL-iNsIdE

Says the guy with the big ATi symble under his name....

And because you are so blinded, you can't even believe that it might entirely be possible that nVidia is actually doing what they say they are doing and paying for the game to be optimized on their hardware. You find that way too far fetched, and instead believe that they are simply paying to have performance retarded on ATi hardware...that makes sense...I guess...:laugh:

You know the simplest solution is usually the correct solution. Which seems simpler to you? The program is being used like nVidia says, and optimizing the game to run on their hardware OR there is a huge conpiracy where nVidia uses the program as a front to hinder performance on ATi hardware to screw ATi over?

But now that you have degraded to simply flaming instead of making intelligent points to backup your argument, I'll ignore you now, as you have lost.

No, not really.

Says the guy who has been fighting this like his life counted on it ?

oh noes I have lost on the interwebs :eek: haha get over it mate after all it is a discussion not a fight/game ;)

how is it a conspiracy ? ATI is nvidia's only real competitor ( I'm sorry I dont see intel/matrox/SIS as competitors) so why is it so far fetched that so many ATI users who actually own the hardware and have seen the numbers on various "optimised" games are consistently reporting poor performance on similar even lower performing nv cards ?

Optimised my arse, its not xbox 360 Vs PS3 its PC and it should play the same regardless on similar performing cards whether they are ATI or nv

It never used to be that way, a game was made and it played the same on both nv and ati as long as they were on par in terms of performance overall and there were slight differences in image quality between the 2 but that is all.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
What NV is doing here is reducing the overall sales of the game by pulling this stunt, which in turn will affect their cash flow due to the game not being bought by users of ATI hardware as well. Remember anything with a logo or slogan such as "TWIMTBP" gets bought some of that money goes to them as well due to just the logo.

troyrae360

System Name My Computer!
Processor AMD 6400+ Black @ 3.5
Motherboard Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA790X DS4
Cooling Gigabyte G-Power 2 pro
Memory 2x2 gig Adata 800
Video Card(s) HD3870x2 @ 900gpu and 999mem
Storage 2x wd raid edition 120gig + 1 samsung 320 + samsung 250
Display(s) Samsung 40inch series6 full HD 1080p
Case NZXT Lexa
Audio Device(s) ALC889A HD audio with Enables a Superior Audio Experience (on board)
Power Supply Vantec ION2+ 550w
Software Vista Home pream 64
once again NV has pulled out the dirty tactics again

"I typically save most gaming news for the semi-regular Binge, but I think that this story deserves its own slot. As part of a software update to its popular Assassin's Creed game, Ubisoft seems to have removed DirectX 10.1 functionality from the game entirely. This is interesting for a few reasons; first and foremost, it just doesn't make sense to remove "main attraction" features from a game - especially if the removal of these features results in reduced game performance on systems using a graphics card supporting DX 10.1. Secondly - and most importantly - because this title is part of Nvidia's "The Way it's Meant to be Played" program, the moves smells very much like collusion - seeing as no current Nvidia graphics cards support DX 10.1. This was a terrible decision, and one can only wonder if karma will rear its ugly head...as it should."

DX 10.1 offered a 20% increase in preformance when AA was being used, But then they scraped it, Go figure?
I assuming that that this stunt is along the same lines.

It never used to be that way, a game was made and it played the same on both nv and ati as long as they were on par in terms of performance overall and there were slight differences in image quality between the 2 but that is all.

You seem unwilling to acknowledge my posts directly refuting yours. No matter, this statement above is entirely wrong. Before TWIMTBP there was Digital Vibrance. ATI itself had a TWIMTBP variant though I can't remember what it was called. And what of Sideport and its expected massive boost over NVIDIA? Eyefinity? Cuda and PhysX...? Havok?

Everyone has had many marketing gimmicks. And everyone still does.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
what nvidia is doin' to ati sonunds like what intel did to amd and they were fined more than 1 billion for that! i'm just curious what will happen if ati finds proof for the dirty games of nvidia! will they be fined the same way like intel? i think that's the only way nvidia to stop playin' dirty and focus on other things!

I believe there will be a lawsuit if this is not made right.

Wow, I think this thread has more replies than the 5870 release... Honestly, this doesn't surprise me... Although you really have to wonder how Nvidia is making so much money that they can not only afford to develop competing cards, but also pay (or bribe as somone said earlier) developers to optimize games solely for their gpu's.

Maybe it has something to do with their $500+ cards? :) ... edit: and huge marketshare (in b4 fanboyz)

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Alright, the off-topic discussions stop here.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Phew, thanks BTA I mean I love reading drama as much as anyone but this is getting ridiculous.