• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To: Enable SLI on pre-i7/i5 hardware

Sadly no SLI with unmodded driver, will try modded driver now...

Is it worth trying rev1 of this NickDvB HALmod?

Sorry but still nothing with modded driver, I haved tried with/without the bridge connected,

I tried enabling / disabling "PEG link mode" & "SLI Broadcast Apature" in the BIOS.

I used the last DSDT you sent me, should I try and reload default DSDT then use string installer to add ASUS cert?

Also I had to go back to Premium bios to load the windows image, is that ok?

I did not clear the cmos - should I?

Last edited:
Tried reloading default DSDT -> reboot -> StringInstalled ASUS OK -> reboot -> still no SLI...

I checked cert in new everest and it looks ok, CPUZ reports nforce4 as before (with new fixed HALmods)

I am starting to think there must be a hardware / electrical limitaton with this board, the cards are both detected and work ok,

but because one is in an x4 PCIe slot (with missing pins) maybe they can not communicate with each other to enable SLI?

Maybe ASUS / Nvidia added special counter-measures to break SLI on this board, after the NF4 chipset mod was discovered???

I have a friend with an nforce7 system, as a test I will ask him to install this new HALmod / modded drivers to see if his SLI still works.

I hope there is a software solution but I am out of ideas, thanks again for doing all this extra work for me, sorry I took so long to test it.

I think I will have to replace my crappy Biostar 790GX board and get this working on my new system instead,

then at least I will finally be able to see your hack working for myself. I look forward to it...

thanks again,

:)

Last edited:
@aGeoM

I just noticed that in your last screenshot everest shows the SLI certificate with the name of your *real* motherboard (crosshair formula III)

How have you done this? Do you think it can help with my problem?

Tried reloading default DSDT -> reboot -> StringInstalled ASUS OK -> reboot -> still no SLI...

I checked cert in new everest and it looks ok, CPUZ reports nforce4 as before (with new fixed HALmods)

I am starting to think there must be a hardware / electrical limitaton with this board, the cards are both detected and work ok,

but because one is in an x4 PCIe slot (with missing pins) maybe they can not communicate with each other to enable SLI?

Maybe ASUS / Nvidia added special counter-measures to break SLI on this board, after the NF4 chipset mod was discovered???

I have a friend with an nforce7 system, as a test I will ask him to install this new HALmod / modded drivers to see if his SLI still works.

I hope there is a software solution but I am out of ideas, thanks again for doing all this extra work for me, sorry I took so long to test it.

I think I will have to replace my crappy Biostar 790GX board and get this working on my new system instead,

then at least I will finally be able to see your hack working for myself. I look forward to it...

thanks again,

:)

can you do something for research?

first you have to download RWEveryting:
http://www.softplatz.com/Soft/Utilities/Other/35533.exe

install and run it

when you run it you'll see that:

when you click on combo you'll see some list:

this is a list of chipset devices let's say

you have to select each one from this list and make a screenshot with window. then send it to me.

ok, here they are: http://depositfiles.com/files/933nmb0dz

I don't know if this is important but when I change from A8N-E to Premium bios windows detects new PCI-PCI bridges,

If I use "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" I can see the old hidden "ghost" devices are still in device manager.

Also remember that the PCIe port mapping is incorrect with premium bios (look at screenshots from before)

Let me know if you need me to do anything else! :)

ok, here they are: http://depositfiles.com/files/933nmb0dz

I don't know if this is important but when I change from A8N-E to Premium bios windows detects new PCI-PCI bridges,

If I use "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" I can see the old hidden "ghost" devices are still in device manager.

Also remember that the PCIe port mapping is incorrect with premium bios (look at screenshots from before)

Let me know if you need me to do anything else! :)

put your original bios and send me your current dsdt.

and Try rev1 of NickEdition

@aGeoM

I just noticed that in your last screenshot everest shows the SLI certificate with the name of your *real* motherboard (crosshair formula III)

How have you done this? Do you think it can help with my problem?

Hi

NO, I don't think. I hexedited the .dat file, and repleced RAMPAGE II EXT for CROSSHAIR III, if the one you are using didn't work, this shouldn't either.

Sorry.

Have you any jumper setting on the board for SLI?

Have you any jumper setting on the board for SLI?
No, but if I can enable "Dual Video card mode" with Premium bios only (this function is not in A8N-E bios) if I do this the main pcie slot is lowered from x16 to x8, but the other slot stays at x2 always, with A8N-E bios the slots are fixed at x16+x2, I think x8+x2 is more balanced? I only loose 1fps in crysis with the card in the x2 slot!

put your original bios and send me your current dsdt.
I tried rev1 with premium bios already, I can try it with A8N-E bios also. Do you need DSDT file created after I go back to A8N-E bios? Is it a problem to use Premium bios, my system can not overclock well without it, I will loose SLIC activation, and also the pcie speed issue above, but I can go back to A8N-E if it is important, will I need to do a clean install?

Last edited:
No, but if I can enable "Dual Video card mode" with Premium bios only (this function is not in A8N-E bios) if I do this the main pcie slot is lowered from x16 to x8, but the other slot stays at x2 always, with A8N-E bios the slots are fixed at x16+x2, I think x8+x2 is more balanced? I only loose 1fps in crysis with the card in the x2 slot!

I tried rev1 with premium bios already, I can try it with A8N-E bios also. Do you need DSDT file created after I go back to A8N-E bios? Is it a problem to use Premium bios, my system can not overclock well without it, I will loose SLIC activation, and also the pcie speed issue above, but I can go back to A8N-E if it is important, will I need to do a clean install?

make a clean install and roll back to your original bios

Sorry for the wait, I did a full clean install (not image) on original A8N-E bios, reset CMOS, no SLIC activation, no DMI mods, no nothing...

The dats are attatched, do you want me to make new RW screen-shots, will they have changed??

Attachments

• A8N-E_RSDT_AWRDACPI.zip
    29.1 KB · Views: 181
Very strange!?! I now get BSOD when installing the driver (I think when the 2nd card is detected)

I have never had BSOD with any HAlmod or any modded driver before, maybe it is progress!?!

I will try remove HALmod, then install driver, then re-install HALmod, and see what happens...

Very strange!?! I now get BSOD when installing the driver (I think when the 2nd card is detected)

I have never had BSOD with any HAlmod or any modded driver before, maybe it is progress!?!

I will try remove HALmod, then install driver, then re-install HALmod, and see what happens...

good idea. do it. and which HALMod do you use? try HALMod 0.9.

1 + 1/2 :wtf: :laugh: :D

one x16 slot + one "x4 ASUS Universal PCIE Slot" (GPUz shows this actually runs at x2)
"Universal PCI-E Slot: The ASUS Universal PCI-E Slot gives the users freedom and flexibility on the utilization of the PCI-E interface. With Universal PCI-E Slot, user is able to plug in an additional PCI-E graphics card to have dual VGA on a single motherboard! This special design supports up to 1GB/s in bandwidth, and it will also take in most of the PCI-E devices out there!"
PEG Link: PEG (PCI-Express Graphics) Link lets you to raise GPU and VGA memory throughput via the motherboard BIOS the same way system bus and memory bus are tweaked. ASUS engineers carefully fine-tuned the parameters for PCI-Express cards to provide system stability during high-speed graphics operation. Furthermore, with two PCI-Express slots, the A8N-E is able to activate PEG Link on both graphics.
I had to install the driver first then reboot, then I tried HALmod NickDvB rev2 and 0.9, no BSODs but still no SLI. Something makes me think that the driver somehow "decides" to enable SLI during the install (when I get the BSOD) maybe changing the HALmod after the driver is installed will not work?

Last edited: