• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hack Released to Enable PhysX on Windows 7 with ATI GPU Present

Would someone please show some test runs with this type of setup. I've been thinking about getting a 9600 GT, but only if it's really noticeable. So if someone will post a before and after picture that would be GREAT! And list specs :)

System Name Suteki Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900 @ Stock
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX
Cooling Stock Box Cooler
Memory 32gb ( 2x16gb) 3600mhz DDR4 G.Skill 16-19-19-39-58
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Ram
Storage 256gb nvme SSD, 250GB SATA3 SSD, 480GB USB3 SSD, 750GB SSHD, 3TB WD Red HDD
Display(s) Asus VE220 / Epson TW-3000 1080p projector
Case Raijintek Thetis Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 PCI on a PCIe-to-PCI Adapter
Power Supply EVGA 550G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2013
Software Windows 10 Pro
WHAT!?

Not only could you not pair an Nvidia Card with ATI, but they also restricted use of a dedicated PhysX PPU-Card in combination with an ATI-GPU?!

That's seriously wrong if you ask me, makes me pissed just thinking about it, even though it doesn't concern me as a Laptop user. :slap:

Shouldn't this be illegal altogehter? I mean, who told me I will not be able to use my PhysX Card on my ATI because some sinister corporation thinks it's smart to get more money out this way.

leonard_222003

System Name Home
Processor Q6600 @ 3300
Motherboard Gigabyte p31 ds3l
Cooling TRUE Intel Edition
Memory 4 gb x 800 mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 560
Storage WD 1x250 gb Seagate 2x 1tb
Display(s) samsung T220
Case no name
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply chieftec 550w
Software Windows 7 64
Nobody is forcing you to buy anything. And your post just proved mine, and a few others points. If PhysX is such crap then why are people wanting to get that extra NV card to use PhysX then huh? :roll:

And you pay the extra price for the extra performance. Its as simple as that. I see alot of bitching about Nvidia for nothing and alot of hate for nothing. The same kinda people will pay a grand for an Intel i7 Xtreme processor but will bitch about paying 100 extra bucks for a better performing Nvidia gpu. All the people complaining that have i7 CPUs in your case should just shut up because your all being hypocrits. If you wanna bitch over Nvidias +5 FPS then put an AMD rig in there and buy an ATI card since its cheaper for only ~5fps less.

What people are concerned is if Physx becomes a standard , not the count on my fingers games that are available now with physx.
What if physx will be available in most future games and Ati's can't do the effects ? it could be a problem for the people who bought one or two 5870's.
Why do you think only about people who buy core i7 and expensive stuff ? some people like me wich have only a E5200 and 4850 bitch about Nvidia's dirty strategy too , Batman looks better on a 8800GTS than on a 4870x2 or 5870 wich are wayyy faster , i guess we can leave hardcore hardware out but the 4850/4870 user wants some AA in batman , and physx if they can ( not really physx but the extra effects that come bundled with "physx" ).

Some people say only Ati users bitch about this ( true ) , and some say only Nvidia users come to defend the evil company like this.
You have to know Nvidia is doing this only because they don't have a DX11 card , everybody knows this , if they wanted to be so bad with the competition they could've done this anytime , also , that super monster that some fans applauded ( GT 300 FERMI or something ) doesn't really exists in a working state for a presentation.
I wouldn't pick on this if not for the deceveing manner in wich they presented Fermi , look some numbers about a super card we are gonna launch , look it's in my hand now , take some pictures , now really you thought this was the real thing , no , it's just a mock up , what ???
So in the end we look at the show " Nvidia will do anything to stop people from buying a 5850/5870 ".

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Excellent. Suck it Jen-Hsun!

System Name n.audBl
Processor E8500 @ 3.80GHz
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Full liquid (everything except power supply)
Memory 4Gb OCZ DDR2 PC9600
Video Card(s) Dual EVGA GTX 280 SSC Edition
Storage Dual WD Raptor in RAID 0 (300Gb), Dual WD 1Tb Cavair in RAID 1
Display(s) Dell 2407 24" HD+ Widescreen
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Fata1ty (bleh!)
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Win 7 64bit
This thread will be some NV users battling to the end for their green goblin juice, ATI users laughing about the clever way a driver can be minpulated to defeat the joke the lock out was anyway. The people who don't know or care and don't use it will shrug and either get pissed at NV for the crap they pull, or just leave the thread.

So, someone is in the lead already with defending NV, others are following up with the "why ATI sucks" arguments, red users are already laughing and some are preparing for another heated battle of red VS green.

Personally, I prefer NV over ATI... always have... But even with that said, I am all for everyone getting the use out of their hardware. I'm glad for the hack... good for those that can make use of it. I don't have much respect for NV trying to hoard the cookies here, especially when folks way back when bought the Ageia cards. That is total BS to impliment drivers that disable that hardware just because NV wants to poke ATI in the eye.

System Name n.audBl
Processor E8500 @ 3.80GHz
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Full liquid (everything except power supply)
Memory 4Gb OCZ DDR2 PC9600
Video Card(s) Dual EVGA GTX 280 SSC Edition
Storage Dual WD Raptor in RAID 0 (300Gb), Dual WD 1Tb Cavair in RAID 1
Display(s) Dell 2407 24" HD+ Widescreen
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Fata1ty (bleh!)
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Win 7 64bit
WHAT!?

Not only could you not pair an Nvidia Card with ATI, but they also restricted use of a dedicated PhysX PPU-Card in combination with an ATI-GPU?!

That's seriously wrong if you ask me, makes me pissed just thinking about it, even though it doesn't concern me as a Laptop user. :slap:

Shouldn't this be illegal altogehter? I mean, who told me I will not be able to use my PhysX Card on my ATI because some sinister corporation thinks it's smart to get more money out this way.

I sense a class action lawsuit attempt in the future. ATI should spearhead it :laugh::laugh:

Ghiltanas

System Name Ghiltanas
Processor intel q6600 g0 @3,2 Ghz
Motherboard Asus p5b
Cooling noctua nh-u12p (cpu) accelero twin turbo (vga)
Memory 4x1 gb team group elite pc6400
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD6850 1GB
Storage Crucial M4 128gb + wd caviar black 640gb
Display(s) asus vw246h + samsung 206bw
Case CM690II advanced
Power Supply xion 500w
Software Linux Mint 14 + Win 7 all @64bit
I think physx can't be the future, we need a very open system for the phisycs, that can be used by everyone.

System Name Suteki Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900 @ Stock
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX
Cooling Stock Box Cooler
Memory 32gb ( 2x16gb) 3600mhz DDR4 G.Skill 16-19-19-39-58
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Ram
Storage 256gb nvme SSD, 250GB SATA3 SSD, 480GB USB3 SSD, 750GB SSHD, 3TB WD Red HDD
Display(s) Asus VE220 / Epson TW-3000 1080p projector
Case Raijintek Thetis Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 PCI on a PCIe-to-PCI Adapter
Power Supply EVGA 550G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2013
Software Windows 10 Pro
I think physx can't be the future, we need a very open system for the phisycs, that can be used by everyone.

Come GPGPU with DX11, come Havok or a new Physics-Engine with GPU-Support/Acceleration. I could almost bet on it.

That is, if Nvidia is not smart enough to share (e.g. sell) this license to other manufacturers; effectivly making it usable by everyone (consumer).

Come GPGPU with DX11, come Havok or a new Physics-Engine with GPU-Support/Acceleration. I could almost bet on it.

That is, if Nvidia is not smart enough to share (e.g. sell) this license to other manufacturers; effectivly making it usable by everyone (consumer).

AMD is trying to get an open physics standard going. here

Ghiltanas

System Name Ghiltanas
Motherboard Asus p5b
Case CM690II advanced
Power Supply xion 500w
AMD is trying to get an open physics standard going. here

i knew it, and the good thing is ati partnered with Intel (havok is used by a lot of games, if i'm not wrong). The problem of ati could be the marketing; it's very important, now it's time to use it

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
What people are concerned is if Physx becomes a standard , not the count on my fingers games that are available now with physx.
What if physx will be available in most future games and Ati's can't do the effects ? it could be a problem for the people who bought one or two 5870's.
Why do you think only about people who buy core i7 and expensive stuff ? some people like me wich have only a E5200 and 4850 bitch about Nvidia's dirty strategy too , Batman looks better on a 8800GTS than on a 4870x2 or 5870 wich are wayyy faster , i guess we can leave hardcore hardware out but the 4850/4870 user wants some AA in batman , and physx if they can ( not really physx but the extra effects that come bundled with "physx" ).

Some people say only Ati users bitch about this ( true ) , and some say only Nvidia users come to defend the evil company like this.
You have to know Nvidia is doing this only because they don't have a DX11 card , everybody knows this , if they wanted to be so bad with the competition they could've done this anytime , also , that super monster that some fans applauded ( GT 300 FERMI or something ) doesn't really exists in a working state for a presentation.
I wouldn't pick on this if not for the deceveing manner in wich they presented Fermi , look some numbers about a super card we are gonna launch , look it's in my hand now , take some pictures , now really you thought this was the real thing , no , it's just a mock up , what ???
So in the end we look at the show " Nvidia will do anything to stop people from buying a 5850/5870 ".

My argument wasnt for PhysX but for his price argument on NV GPUs.

As for what your saying, i agree that what they are doing is wrong with PhysX but my (and quite a few others) point still stands. If PhysX is not such a big deal and its gonna go down the toilet then why are so many ATI users complaining about it?

i knew it, and the good thing is ati partnered with Intel (havok is used by a lot of games, if i'm not wrong). The problem of ati could be the marketing; it's very important, now it's time to use it
Havok is older, but I think physx is gaining ground to the point where it's almost as common, it may even be as common now. Somehow I don't think Bethesda and Valve are going to rework their engines for physx, but you never know. IMO the entire situation got screwed up when both Havok and Ageia allowed themselves to be bought. Like I said before, I'd rather it be that both Havok and Ageia licensed their APIs to both ATI and invida, and the use of them was application controlled. A simple "Enable GPU physics" in the video options would probably been a way to implement either easily had that happened, but now they're both proprietary, and money, being money, is in the way of consumers actually getting what they want and being happy. Yay money. Hopefully an open standard will take hold, as someone else mentioned, with directx compute and OpenCL around, the idea that there wouldn't be some kind of open source Physics seems almost far fetched, getting developers to choose it is another story though.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
If PhysX is not such a big deal and its gonna go down the toilet then why are so many ATI users complaining about it?
Because Nvidia f*#ked with Batman. Nobody messes with "The Bat" and EVERYONE knows Batman is an ATI fanboy.

Anyway Physx is proprietary to Nvidia. If the tables were turned Nvidiots would be doing the same thing. Also as I said before Physx currently does nothing for the game that Havok cannot do but because of TWIMTBP program some developers take money over product quality.

There lies the hate for Physx.

Personally I would like Physx to be open to both ATI and Intel. Why? Because Nvidia would still hold the advantage of being the owner of the intellectual property thus developing its hardware/software to run it best PLUS it wouldn't alienate the rest of the world. It really is a "win, win" for everyone.

Last edited:
System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
Personally I would like Physx to be open to both ATI and Intel. Why? Because Nvidia would still hold the advantage of being the owner of the intellectual property thus developing its hardware/software to run it best PLUS it wouldn't alienate the rest of the world. It really is a "win, win" for everyone.

I really don't see how every single PhysX game running better on Nvidia hardware is "win, win" for everyone. :wtf: Feel free to explain, though.

IMO, what would be best is for Nvidia to opensource the PhysX code -- that way, ATI could contribute to it as well, and it wouldn't work any better on either Nvidia OR ATI hardware. It would just work great for all. :D

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
If nVIDIA did make it Opensource, which they won't, and if PhysX actually started to outperform nVIDIA on ATi cards - man, they would be pissed! It's not outside the realm of possibility - hence why it isn't Opensource.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
If nVIDIA did make it Opensource, which they won't, and if PhysX actually started to outperform nVIDIA on ATi cards - man, they would be pissed! It's not outside the realm of possibility - hence why it isn't Opensource.

If it was made opensource, that wouldn't happen. :laugh: And even if somehow a full release of the hypothetical opensource PhysX did make it to release, at least you'd be able to step back through the code to see exactly how it was performing better on Nvidia hardware, and then ATI could take appropriate measures to fix it.

It's that kind of transparency that makes opensource so great.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Why the hell would they want to open source their code? I sure as hell wouldn't. I'd make it free to use maybe, but not give away the source. That's asking too much.

All they would have to do is port it to OpenCL instead of only CUDA. There, problem solved.

Ghiltanas

System Name Ghiltanas
Motherboard Asus p5b
Case CM690II advanced
Power Supply xion 500w
...but now they're both proprietary, and money, being money, is in the way of consumers actually getting what they want and being happy. Yay money....

you struck the target, and maybe you've also right, when you tell havok it's not a valid alternative.
now i wait to see what will ati bring out whit pixelux partnership

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
you struck the target, and maybe you've also right, when you tell havok it's not a valid alternative.
now i wait to see what will ati bring out whit pixelux partnership

but for havok you don't need special hardware

Will someone plz summit some screenies I want to see the difference having Physx (ATI Main/Nvida PhysX)

System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
Here's a video of mirror's edge with and without physx enbaled, physx adds a lot to the title. link.

I really hope some developer gets the balls and does this with DX11 and they get rid of Physx all together. Or atleast have that with DX11 and also maybe Physx for the DX10 option.