• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gold Fingers and Oxidation

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
Do we really need to clean the gold fingers of our video, sound card, ram, etc if you find any unusual marks or oxidation? This is something I like to know more about because its not something that I've considered in sometime now.

From what I know those gold fingers are suppose to be oxidation proof. I was having sound card problems and couldn't solve it. So as a last resort I took out the sound card to inspect it. I noticed something on the gold fingers that dulled the shine. It was some sort of residue or film. I couldn't tell you what it was. However, I found that cleaning the gold fingers of my sound card has fixed the problem I had with it by wiping them clean.

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless the equiptment in your PC case is at least 1 year old. Anything new shouldn't require this IMO and you are experiencing a problem in which this would be a last resort. Does anyone have any information about this?

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
IDK if it even matters but I give mine a wipe with alcohol when I clean the fan (maintanence).

The dullness gets caused from the rubbing on the slot itself I think, but gunk can build up, especially in a smokers house.

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
System Name Bitch / Dogma
Processor 955 BE @ 3.8Gig / 9850 @stock
Video Card(s) 8800 GTX 512 / 4890
Storage 8 x Samsung F2 1.5TB, 8 x Seagate 500s
Display(s) Acer 24 / Dell 24
Case Lian li / Akasa
Software Win server 2008 / Win 7
Well i can hopefully explain a little:

Yes Gold is a very stable metal and thus does not oxidise, however the gold used on mainstream connectors is by no means 100% pure thus is subject to some oxidation. To compound this the connectors are gold plated (vary vary sparingly) so after you have plugged them in and out a couple of times the contact points will invariably be down to the base metal (steel/alum??)

For further complications if the socket base metal is diff from the plug base metal you can get what is known as a sacrificial pairing and corrosion will be seen. (this method is used in ships with steel hulls...blocks of zinc are bolted to the hull to prevent the steel from rusting...the zinc sacrifices itself to protect the steel)

department76

System Name Fusilli
Processor AMD Phenom II 965 C3 @ 3.9GHz (200x19.5, 1.51V)
Motherboard MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX/SB600 (AM2+)
Cooling Zalman 9700NT, 2x silent 80mm & 2x 120mm Scythe & Enermax
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.1V
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4870 512MB @ 825/1050 (3x heatpipes)
Storage 2x 250GB RAID 0 - Seagate 7200.10 16MB on Promise FastTrak
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2450 & VX1940
Case Lian-Li PC60 PlusII
Audio Device(s) Auzen X-Fi Prelude, Denon AH-D1000 headphones
Power Supply OCZ GameXtreme 600W
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage - P10909
iggstyer is speaking of "cathodic protection," while accurate, i'm not sure how useful the actual chemistry really is in this situation :laugh: for such corrosion to take place, a cation and anion must be present. copper & aluminum are cations, gold is itself to be considered differently since it is so molecularly stable and doesn't fall much either way of being too positive or too negativley charged.

anyhow lol--
i'd consider it to be either grime from dust & oil, or dust from a connector being used multiple times, causing the surface of some contacts to wear down (as someone else mentioned). i don't think it's a big deal, just wipe 'em off and you'r good to go.

i'm also sure that this has beena known problem for decades, i still have the cartridge cleaning kit for my NES, which consisted of a plastic wand with cotton on the end that you simply poured rubbing alcohol on :biggrin:

System Name Bitch / Dogma
Processor 955 BE @ 3.8Gig / 9850 @stock
Video Card(s) 8800 GTX 512 / 4890
Storage 8 x Samsung F2 1.5TB, 8 x Seagate 500s
Display(s) Acer 24 / Dell 24
Case Lian li / Akasa
Software Win server 2008 / Win 7
Thanks for the clarification department76.

My point was that it is not useful when speaking in terms of connectors.

When you have two metals with different properties in contact, add an electric current, add some humidity/oils etc and one metal will corrode.

My understanding is that in order to gain any benefit from gold plated connectors:

1. both socket and plug need to be plated
2. plating has to be thick enough to withstand insertion wear
3. plating has to be of a certain % of gold/silver
4. the equipment should be of high enough quality to benefit from the "cleaner signal"

Walkauai

About 15 years ago I bought a 50ml bottle of Stabilant 22A and the stuff really did work as advertised. It's solved many problems over the years. I've still got enough left in that bottle to last several more years.

About a year ago someone suggested I try a product called DeoxIT. I found some at Radio Shack. It's also easy to find on the internet but I didn't want to wait. Two small aerosol cans for $15, one expressly for gold contacts and one for everything else. It's supposed to clean the contacts and leave a film that makes for a better contact, one with less resistance. I have a 10X loupe I inspect my contacts with and I can see the stuff does work. You'd be amazed at what you can see through a 10X magnifier. If you take your work seriously you should have one.

It could be that just a regular contact cleaner would work just as well but when you figure the cost per application and the research the company put into their product, I'm willing to spend a little more to not only solve hard to find electrical problems, but prevent them from happening in the first place.

I don't know what's in them but the Stabilant 22A smells of isopropol alcohol. That's probably the carrier plus the proprietary cleaner/protectant.

Both products sell smaller and cheaper containers. I can tell you that 50ml of Stabilant 22A goes a long way. Google both products and decide for yourself what you think is best. I'll continue using both until I find out which one is best.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
About 15 years ago I bought a 50ml bottle of Stabilant 22A and the stuff really did work as advertised. It's solved many problems over the years. I've still got enough left in that bottle to last several more years.

About a year ago someone suggested I try a product called DeoxIT. I found some at Radio Shack. It's also easy to find on the internet but I didn't want to wait. Two small aerosol cans for $15, one expressly for gold contacts and one for everything else. It's supposed to clean the contacts and leave a film that makes for a better contact, one with less resistance. I have a 10X loupe I inspect my contacts with and I can see the stuff does work. You'd be amazed at what you can see through a 10X magnifier. If you take your work seriously you should have one.

It could be that just a regular contact cleaner would work just as well but when you figure the cost per application and the research the company put into their product, I'm willing to spend a little more to not only solve hard to find electrical problems, but prevent them from happening in the first place.

I don't know what's in them but the Stabilant 22A smells of isopropol alcohol. That's probably the carrier plus the proprietary cleaner/protectant.

Both products sell smaller and cheaper containers. I can tell you that 50ml of Stabilant 22A goes a long way. Google both products and decide for yourself what you think is best. I'll continue using both until I find out which one is best.

I have DeoxIT via small bottle with a brush attached to the cap. I also have the spray can but it's for different use. The stuff is pretty expensive but does work. But this is something you would rarely need for your PC components IMO.

In any case thanks for the info guys...

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Well i can hopefully explain a little:

Yes Gold is a very stable metal and thus does not oxidise, however the gold used on mainstream connectors is by no means 100% pure thus is subject to some oxidation. To compound this the connectors are gold plated (vary vary sparingly) so after you have plugged them in and out a couple of times the contact points will invariably be down to the base metal (steel/alum??)

For further complications if the socket base metal is diff from the plug base metal you can get what is known as a sacrificial pairing and corrosion will be seen. (this method is used in ships with steel hulls...blocks of zinc are bolted to the hull to prevent the steel from rusting...the zinc sacrifices itself to protect the steel)
Most of the internal contacts/conductors in electronic is Electrum which is an alloy of mainly Gold and Silver.

Electrum is only used in the most important contacts such as the pins of a CPU, because gold and silver are expensive.
Pure Gold is also too soft for anything useful.

As most people should know, silver do oxidize.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
BF2; No more CTD

I decided to clean out the gold fingers on my ram as there were a very thin layer of film using DeoxIT and got an unexpected surprise. I am no longer seeing CTD when playing BF2. I play 2 1/2 rounds and no kicks so far. I recall that BF2 is a memory intensive game and, recall some fixing their CTD problems by switching ram sticks or getting different ram. There maybe some truth to that. However, I will play more BF2 a few more rounds later on to see what develops.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000

Some informative stuff in this thread. Great first post!

[Ion]

WCG Team Assistant
System Name Niedersachsen / Ribe / Minsk
Processor i3 3240 / i7-3520M / 4x Opteron 6376 @ 2.86GHz
Motherboard BIOSTAR H61M / HP Q77 / Supermicro H8QG7
Cooling Stock / Stock / 4x 1U G34
Memory 1x8GB / 2x4GB / 4x4GB
Video Card(s) GTX260 / Intel HD 4000 / nVidia GT310
Storage 80GB Intel SSD / 256GB Intel SSD / 2x 60GB SSD (RAID1)
Display(s) Dell 3007 + HP 2245w / 12.1" 1366x768 / None
Case Antec NSK3480 / HP / Supermicro 1U
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 500W / HP 130W / Supermicro Gold 1400W
Keyboard IBM Model M
Software Windows 7 (Niedersachsen/Ribe) / Linux Mint 17.2 (Minsk)
I wipe the gold fingers down with isopropyl alcohol maybe every 6 months or one year, so far I haven't had any problems that this has fixed, but it's more of a regular maintenance thing ;)

beyond_amusia

System Name Cozad (Asus G60JX)
Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce 360M
Storage 500GB
Display(s) 16 inch LED LCD
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
I have not really heard anyone suggesting that the fingers need to be cleaned on RAM or add-in cards for several years (~2003) and I personally don't bother with it because I am not one of those people that just HAS to rebuild their computer every few days. =P

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
I used an eraser and voila ...

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
I used an eraser and voila ...

Even if you do not own any special cleaners the goal is to remove that film off the gold fingers. Albeit a cotton cloth should also work.

Last edited:
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Software MCE2K5
Even if you do not own any special cleaners the goal is to remove that film off the gold fingers. Albeit a cotton cloth should also work.

Im afraid of static hence wh i use teh erazers

Walkauai

A 10X loupe is a very handy little item to have in your tool kit. It will reveal problems not visible to the naked eye. I recently found a tiny finger of corrosion extending from one contact to its neighbor on a graphics card. Once I removed it (broke that contact) I eliminated the problem that had plagued this computer.

Connectors are commonly made of base metals; brass, phosphor bronze, and beryllium copper. Choice is made on the basis of best combination of mechanical and electrical properties.

A major consideration in choosing the composition of the contacts is usage. Is it a "fit and forget" or say a Compact Flash card that will go in and out of a camera many times? Something like an Ethernet card or a graphics card lies somewhere in between.

Pure gold is too soft for industrial use, so it is alloyed with other elements to increase durability and resistance to wear. Using electroplating, connector manufacturers typically offer products with a wide range of gold thicknesses. Gold flash, low gold (10-15 microinches), and high gold (30-50 microinches). Given that a human hair is 1,500 microinches thick, these are extremely thin layers of protection. Over time, with thermal cycling, the base metals can migrate and contaminate the gold plating. A disreputable manufacturer may save a nickel per card by not plating a nickel barrier between the base metal and gold to prevent this migration. It does make a difference from whom you get your parts.

Also, a part made to "fit and forget" specs (like memory modules) can develop problems if removed and reinserted too many times. That is where a 10X loupe comes in handy. You can easily see if the gold plating has worn through and become a site for corrosion formation.

That little loupe will pay for itself the first time you solve a problem that was not visible to the naked eye.

Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Software MCE2K5

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Hmm, never heard of loupe for the use of gold fingers. Do you have a guide for those using it for the 1st time?