• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SET TEMP=E:\TEMP problem now installing BF2

S

Slater

I set my temporary folders to E:\TEMP and now BF2 won't install :(

S

Slater

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Insufficient diskspace on said disk?

OR, if that is NOT the case??

Try these tips to help fix InstallShield hassles (they have worked for me before in many cases):

======================================

Programs That Use the InstallShield Program May Not Start

This article was previously published under Q295278

SYMPTOMS

Programs that use the InstallShield program may not start, and you may receive one of the following error messages:

Setup failed to launch installation engine: Access is denied.

or

Error installing Ikernel.exe, access is denied.
CAUSE

This behavior can occur if there are insufficient Component Object Model (COM) permissions.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this behavior, set the necessary permissions that are needed to successfully complete the installation:

At a command prompt, type: dcomcnfg.exe. The Distributed COM Configuration Properties dialog box is displayed.

Click the Default Security tab.

In the Default Access Permissions section, click Edit.

Ensure that you have "Allow Access" beside your name.

If you do not have "Allow Access" next to your name, either modify an existing profile or create a new profile that has the necessary permissions.
Apply all the changes and attempt to run Setup.

MORE INFORMATION

If installation or initialization errors, or denial of access errors occur, you may not have sufficient COM permissions on the workstation or server to successfully complete the installation.

This behavior can also be caused by a logon script, domain policies, or file system permissions. If this behavior persists, contact InstallShield Technical Support at either of the following InstallShield Web sites:

http://www.installshield.com/

http://support.installshield.com/

InstallShield Technical Support: (847) 240-9111

======================================

IF ALL OF THE ABOVE FAILS:

Knock out %Program Files%\Common Files\InstallShield (THIS WORKED FOR ME & EVERY TIME I HAD INSTALLSHIELD HASSLES - just burn the folder contents, NOT the folders themselves!)...

Knock out %TEMP% file content (your temp folder) as last resort & try install again...

These last 2 have worked for me, everytime InstallShield failed on me, & appear to be the MOST effective... & simplest things to try as well!

APK

P.S.=> That is an InstallShield engine version mismatch odds are... seen it before is why & then did a scan online for the SETUPDLL.CPP file, & it came up as InstallShield stuff! apk

Last edited:
S

Slater

There was enough space on the harddrive assigned to the temp folder but it was writing to the old temp folder still so I just used partiton magic to make it bigger

Alec§taar

Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
There was enough space on the harddrive assigned to the temp folder but it was writing to the old temp folder still so I just used partiton magic to make it bigger

So, lack of space fixed it, or was a reboot needed?

(Typically/iirc, when you change the systemwide %environment% variables, when you write out something to the environment, the next time you load that program? It SHOULD take the change immediately, in an NT-based OS that is - no reboot required!)

* NO need for the InstallShield "fix list" I posted then, I take it? All is working now, due to the 1st thing I noted (lack of space)??

APK

S

Slater

Yeah but the thing was it wasn't lack of space but rather lack of space because it was writing to the wrong folder (wrong drive) and I think it[temp file directory defaults] was hardcoded in the installer

Alec§taar

Yeah but the thing was it wasn't lack of space but rather lack of space because it was writing to the wrong folder (wrong drive) and I think it[temp file directory defaults] was hardcoded in the installer

When you changed your %TMP% &/or %TEMP%, did you do this from a DOS prompt (command prompt) OR, a batchfile?

If so? Well, it ONLY LASTS FOR THAT SESSION... using SET statements & such!

The PROPER way to do this is via the Control Panel, SYSTEM icon, Advanced Tab, Environment Variables button (lower left hand side), & in both the USER and SYSTEM sections. Here, you DON'T USE SET, just TEMP &/or TMP (you'll see what I mean in there).

* Just to let you know...

I say this, because I saw the keyword SET above!

Again, which you can use in batchfiles, OR, in a command prompt (DOS prompt) Window, but again, that is ONLY TEMPORARY FOR THAT SESSION (whereas doing it via the System icon in control panel is permanent).

As for "hardcoding it" in an InstallShield program? It might be possible...

FULL InstallShield lets you do a LOT of potentially "off things" in it, via scripting possible & options in it (which is why I liked InstallShield Express better in many a way, when I used it - often, with many compilers, a 'watered-down' model comes with them)...

APK

P.S.=> Don't mean to be a "nag" on this one, but it's one that can help myself & others avoid 'hassles' in the future possibly, by knowing the details & such! Thanks... apk

Last edited:
S

Slater

Didn't know it only lasted for that session, but I didnt restart or anything. I used the command prompt.

Alec§taar

Didn't know it only lasted for that session, but I didnt restart or anything. I used the command prompt.

That's what "did you in", quite possibly:

SET statements are ONLY TEMPORARY INSIDE A DOS PROMPT SESSION, or batchfile.

Do your %TEMP%/%TMP% the way I stated above (no SET needed)!

Set your %TEMP% & %TMP% in the System Control Panel icon (you can optionally do this for the Current User (top part %environment% stuff) & SYSTEMWIDE (bottom part %environment% stuff)).

No reboot required either in NT-based OS systems - just restart the program itself, it gets handed the current %environment% when it starts, & the %TEMP%/%TMP% get handed CONSISTENTLY, thru all of its "working parts"/threads, OR other executable components, etc..

APK

P.S.=> A good solid way to see this temporary nature of using SET statements, for yourself?

Open up 2 distinct/separate DOS prompts, & in the first one? Type SET APK = C:\APK, & commit it via pressing ENTER...

Then, type SET (by itself in that first DOS prompt session where you did the above) + press enter, & you will set APK = C:\APK...

HOWEVER, in the 2nd DOS prompt session, if you type SET & press enter to see the environs?

You won't see APK = C:\APK... nor, will you see it in subsequent DOS prompt sessions you open either (other later ones).

Thus, illustrating my point about it being temporary in nature only for that DOS prompt session in NT-based OS... apk

Last edited: