• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

a little chipped part from VGA board !!!

B

Beny-Nvidia

hi here is the image of my board ...
its out of warranty because of this chipped part of my board ...

can it be fixeD ?! the support team said me that they can do something about it but they were not sure if its my problem or not ?!
but they said they can some kind of fix it but they dont assure me how much the card will live ! maybe one weeks maybe for ever !

here is the image link :

http://img2.tinypic.info/files/5wa06oetp12uwafhku6f.jpg

the related old topic is here, please take a look :

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=1578485#post1578485

so, i want to know the fact of this fixing operation, is this the main problem of my board or not ?! :-?

thanks

Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
cant really tell is the solder pad broken off? if it is forget about fixing it. Its an easy fix in a way, 1st u have to find wat part chiped off then order a new then just solder it back on ( need to have lil bit of experience soldering:p)

Sir_Real

Processor PC 1: Q6600@3.25,1.34v / PC 2: E8200@3.88,1.35v
Motherboard PC 1: Asus P5Q-SE / PC 2: Asus P5Q-E
Cooling PC 1: Air / PC 2: Air
Memory PC 1: 4gb Ocz PC8500 / PC 2: 4gb Kingston hx PC8500
Video Card(s) PC 1: Saphirre HD4870x2 2GB / PC 2: 2x XFX HD4870 1GB in xfire
Storage PC 1: Samsung 750GB (win7) + Seagate Barracuda 500GB (XP pro) / PC 2: Seagate Barracuda 160GB
Display(s) 2x HANNS-G HH251 24.6" 1980x1080 LCD
Power Supply PC 1: CIT gold 750watt / PC 2: Powercool 850watt modular
Software PC 1: Win7 home 64 + XP pro 32 / PC 2: Win7 home 64
Benchmark Scores PC 1: 3Dmark2006: 18674 PC 2: 3Dmark2006: 19250
I reckon thats a pcb circuit protection fuse. You may be ok to just solder the the connections together. But as them connections are tiny it will take some very careful soldering. Conductive silver paint would be alot easier. Or maybe even just draw lines across with a sharp pencil !

If you have a multimeter check the identical chip opposite the missing one to make sure its not a resistor. Now if there is resistance in the chip your prob going to have to try the pencil mod trick & get the resistance between the pads as close as you can to the opposite chip. Might not be possible mind !

But then again you say the support team can do something about it. If thats the case let them sort it. Unless their going to charge you silly money that is.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
cant really tell is the solder pad broken off? if it is forget about fixing it. Its an easy fix in a way, 1st u have to find wat part chiped off then order a new then just solder it back on ( need to have lil bit of experience soldering:p)

Yea soldering experience is a must in this situation BUT in my opinion you should just go ahead and upgrade to the GTX 260. The GTX 260 are very low priced right now and would give you better performance over this older 8800GTX (Even tho the 8800 series are still beasts)

Processor R9 5950x
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
Yea soldering experience is a must in this situation BUT in my opinion you should just go ahead and upgrade to the GTX 260. The GTX 260 are very low priced right now and would give you better performance over this older 8800GTX (Even tho the 8800 series are still beasts)

well thats an option too:nutkick:thought the question was his trying to get an idea how to fix it not replace it but ur right best option is just replace it too much of a hassle when can buy a better one

B

Beny-Nvidia

hi
im not the fixer ...
the support team just said me that the pad was gone and they can something to do but they dont garranty if it works or not ... because they dont really now if this chipped part caused the problem or not !
im just asking to you is this possible to fix it and make it running good like before for may be a year or not ?!
but they told me that they can do some kind of hiding this mess to send it back to factory and see if it gives me new one or not !

the fact is, im asking you can they completely fix my problem by their own or not ?!

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
You should know unless you knocked that part off yourself then they are liable to replace while it's under warranty. Don't take their sh!t and get the new card you deserve.

System Name Betty The Dirty Dragon
Processor AMD 8350 @4.8
Motherboard ASUS sabertooth rev 2
Cooling Watercooling - Swiftech GTZ - XSPC RS360 - XSPC RX120
Memory 8GB corsair vengeance cas 9
Video Card(s) 280x 1100core 1600 mem
Storage 240 gb ssd- 2 tb Storage
Display(s) Samsung 24" 2433BW
Case Corsair 650d
Audio Device(s) Xfi Fatality Titanium Pro
Power Supply XFX 850 fully modular
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
@ Binge is that avy 'rock solid' because she makes you rock solid and 'heart touching' because she touches your heart with her good looks? if so LOL

Sorry for off topic

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
I'm in love... plus if you look at the "Fair Lady" thread, she is using an ASUS motherboard. It all fits together :laugh:

Back to the topic... don't let them cheat you out of a replacement.

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D delid
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU, GPU, 2x 360 rads, and 1x 280 rad with Arctic P12 and P14 ARGB fans
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung 57"
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
What about using Window Defroster Repair Kit to fill the bridge. This is what I used back in the day to unlock Athlon XP multipliers. Just a suggestion.

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Do NOT modify anything if you are not at fault here. Only if you have no other option should you tamper with your equipment.

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
This is big because you need to listen. What is missing is a capacitor. It's an extremely cheap part that's missing, but if you jump the connection you will most likely destroy your card slowly. You need to know the value and type of capacitor before you replace it. It would be best to get those jerks who have your card to replace it.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
This is big because you need to listen. What is missing is a capacitor. It's an extremely cheap part that's missing, but if you jump the connection you will most likely destroy your card slowly. You need to know the value and type of capacitor before you replace it. It would be best to get those jerks who have your card to replace it.

X2

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Judging by the location of that resistor, all having it missing would cause is the PCI-E lane size to drop to something lower(x8, x4, x2, x1 depending on how far along the PCI-E connector it is). It shouldn't be causing artifacts or blue-screens.

Also, those don't just fall off, it was probably broken off when you were inserting or removing the card. I've even seen them broken off when people are swapping out RAM, as the little latches on the RAM can come very close to the PCI-E slot on some motherboards.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
I've had one fall of my MB and it worked just fine lol.

System Name Suteki Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900 @ Stock
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX
Cooling Stock Box Cooler
Memory 32gb ( 2x16gb) 3600mhz DDR4 G.Skill 16-19-19-39-58
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Ram
Storage 256gb nvme SSD, 250GB SATA3 SSD, 480GB USB3 SSD, 750GB SSHD, 3TB WD Red HDD
Display(s) Asus VE220 / Epson TW-3000 1080p projector
Case Raijintek Thetis Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 PCI on a PCIe-to-PCI Adapter
Power Supply EVGA 550G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2013
Software Windows 10 Pro
I've had one fall of my MB and it worked just fine lol.

Many of those capacitors are rendundant in my experience...

I had a 9800xt were I broke one off because of the Ram-Banks, after running it for a few days without the capacitor I soldered it back on (I had a bad feeling about it, so to say)... Can't say I noticed any diffrence though. They're basically just there to "filter" the current going to your parts... of course, if you don't break them off it is better, but your hardware should work without problems (MAYBE run a bit hotter) if there is only one missing and it is not interrupting some kind of lane by missing... I have a 360 were about 3 of those little bastards are missing from below the GPU and it still works (side effect of having to repair the ROD 6-7 times and being careless... You just happen to break some of them off :p)

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Judging by the location of that resistor, all having it missing would cause is the PCI-E lane size to drop to something lower(x8, x4, x2, x1 depending on how far along the PCI-E connector it is). It shouldn't be causing artifacts or blue-screens.

Also, those don't just fall off, it was probably broken off when you were inserting or removing the card. I've even seen them broken off when people are swapping out RAM, as the little latches on the RAM can come very close to the PCI-E slot on some motherboards.

That missing part is a capacitor which is part of a differential signal path. It's important to keep differential signals symmetric. If they are not symmetric then you are degrading signal integrity between the card and the PCI-E. That particular capacitor handles DC blocking. It won't cause your PCI-E lane bandwidth to drop, but it is pretty bad. newtekie is right in the sense that this won't cause artifacts, but lost signal could definitely cause a bluescreen. Any worsening in performance/stability may only get worse as capacitors/resisters will be hit with larger unbalanced loads as use continues.

Processor R9 5950x
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
just send it back worse thing could happen is they cant fix and u got a reason to buy a better card :rockout:

B

Beny-Nvidia

hi there
thank you all for your responses ...

yes, they told me this ! and they said its a physical lose on board and its out of garranty ...

they said as asus policy they cant accept this board because of its lose on the board ! is it true ?!

did u took a look on my related topic ?! i think the problem is caused by this lose ! what do u think ?!

what do u think if i call the main department of asus company of talk with them about this problem .
i said about calling asus to my reseller company and they said if u call them they will get your board's Serial Number and as we said it will be out of garranty and u won be able to send it to them and take your chance !
what do u say ?!

is this lose ok with asus garranty voiding policies ?!

here is the related images to my problem . they are also in my related topic that i linked you above .

http://img2.tinypic.info/files/98348kud14d7dpbit5yy.jpg

http://img2.tinypic.info/files/6iyi0l3c6xqfa7j59maq.jpg

http://img2.tinypic.info/files/ecxizyxph3cqt6soajbj.jpg

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I guess it could be causing the problems.

I know a sure fire way to test would be to tape off the PCI-E connector past the connector associated with that capacitor(Similar to what they did here). Then stick the card in a motherboard and fire it up, if it works, then you know the missing capacitor is the problem, and replacing it will fix the problem. If it still gives you then image corruption and artifacts, then you know the missing capacitor isn't your problem.

B

Beny-Nvidia

I guess it could be causing the problems.

I know a sure fire way to test would be to tape off the PCI-E connector past the connector associated with that capacitor(Similar to what they did here). Then stick the card in a motherboard and fire it up, if it works, then you know the missing capacitor is the problem, and replacing it will fix the problem. If it still gives you then image corruption and artifacts, then you know the missing capacitor isn't your problem.

hi
i didnt really understand it ... can u just describe it for me ?
http://techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
That might be a fun experement, but on what grounds do you have to say that would prove anything? The connection that is broken is only on one pair of leads coming off of one contact point. The contact point is still accepting signal but it is asyncronous so it will produce error.

Buddy, call ASUS, don't tell them anything about the loose part. Read their RMA for yourself and get educated. Do not trust a reseller. They want you to buy more things from them. Tell ASUS your card is no longer functioning like it was before play dumb, and when they recieve your card play dumb even when they confront you about the loose piece. They will not want to lose your business over this. In fact they may offer to repair this which would be VERY SIMPLE. Like I said above the capacitor is a cheap part, and ASUS more than anyone would know which capacitor to use.

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.8ghz AIR
Motherboard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling 3 fans of MADNESS
Memory 4GB ADATA XPG DDR3 1600G
Video Card(s) ATI 4890 1GB GDDR5 memory
Storage 500gb SATAII
Display(s) 23" 1080p Acer H233Hbmid
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream / 600W / Active PFC
Software Windows 7 Professional 64bit
By the looks of the picture it seems as if the chip had fried and basically melted off. i dont see that being an easy user friendly fix, as the contact appears to be gone from the motherboard. In this case they will probably blame your power supply/motherboard and not themselves.

I'd fight it cause it doesnt look like if was knocked off by you, if it were you'd still have the contact in tact. or it wouldnt look black...as if it fried.

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
By the looks of the picture it seems as if the chip had fried and basically melted off. i dont see that being an easy user friendly fix, as the contact appears to be gone from the motherboard. In this case they will probably blame your power supply/motherboard and not themselves.

I'd fight it cause it doesnt look like if was knocked off by you, if it were you'd still have the contact in tact. or it wouldnt look black...as if it fried.

There's a serious problem with your logic. The PCB is black and abbrased black boards like that would look "melted" since it already has a satin quality to the material.

B

Beny-Nvidia

ok, ill call them...
but as they said before this porcedure may take three months (sending it back to asus and getting it back) !

but i dont really want to spend my three months for a simple problem that may could be fixed in here !

i want to know is this right that they're telling me it can void the garranty or not ?! or is this fact that theyre telling to me that MAYBE I DID THIS TO BOARD Accidently ...