• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is there something wrong with my CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spirates

Hi, well the last few days i've complained over high noices comming from my computer somtimes, I suspected it was my cpu and today I think I got evidence for it :p.

I also want to say that I installed a new gpu , GFX 275 a few days ago and that my cpu never acted this way with my old gpu ( radeon hd 4850 )

Why is my cpu acting like this :S?

----------------
Edit

"Cool & Quit", Is that some kind of programs that automaticually decreases my speed if its not needed? Explain please :).

Is there some downside on having Cool & Quit on? For example its maybe not increasing in speed when neededd and therefor make me lagg more or is it bulletproof?

Why do my cpu work this hard sometimes with my new gpu and not with my old one?
Is it so that my old gpu couldn't do so much work as my new gpu can and because of that my cpu didnt need to work as hard aswell?

Edit 2:

Okej guys I just made a fantastic discovery :D. I entered a game and my proccesor thingy went up to 3ghz! And it doesn't make any more noice!! I have thought until now that when my proccesor thingy went up, my fan would automatiqually go up aswell (= more noice). But the proccesor can run at 3ghz without the fan going mad.

Then the question becomes, why do my fan sometimes get so high if my proccesor most of the time can run at 3,0ghz with a slow fan?

Last edited:
Processor AMD PHENOM 9950BE x4 (140W)
Motherboard ASUS CROSSHAIR II (BIOS 2003)
Cooling ZALMAN 9700L
Memory 4GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR 1066 (2x2GB)
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT XXX (740/1000)
Storage WD250x2 RAID0/Maxtor 500GB STORAGE
Display(s) SAMSUNG 23"/ACER 20"
Case COOLMASTER 690 CUSTOM
Audio Device(s) SUPREME FX II
Power Supply OCZ 700W
Software WINDOWS 7 64
Did you set AMD cool and quiet to "Enable" in the bios by any chance? looks like the Processor is under-clocking by those screens

A 940 is supposed to Run at 3ghz, so that speed is fine, go into the Bios and disable what i mentioned, unless you want to save on your power and your electric bill just leave it

In a nutshell what is it doing is lowering power consumption and clockspeed, when you run a program or whatever it will increase to what it needs until it hits the max you have it set in the bios, which by default is 3ghz for the 940x4

I think that will answer your question,

Last edited:

spirates

Did you set AMD cool and quiet to "Enable" in the bios by any chance? looks like the Processor is under-clocking by those screens

A 940 is supposed to Run at 3ghz, so that speed is fine, go into the Bios and disable what i mentioned, unless you want to save on your power and your electric bill just leave it

o_o...

So its normal for the cpu to make that much noice :p? I've had my cpu for some months and its always been at around 800 >.<..

Well, before I ask how I fix my cpu to work as it should, what will improve if i put my cpu at 3ghz? And please try to not use to advanced computer language :)

Polarman

System Name Polar's Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II 975BE
Motherboard MSI 890FXA-GD65 (Bios 18.7)
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 Led
Memory Gskill 8GB DDR3-1333 (8,8,8,21)
Video Card(s) MSI HD6870 Hawk
Storage WD Raptor 250 - WD RE4 500GB
Display(s) Samsung T240 (1920 X1200)
Case Silverstone Raven 2
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750 (Red)
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit + SP1
That's Cool & Quiet doing it's job. The noise problably comes from the stock cpu fan if your using that.

Get a 3rd party cooler with a fan control if you want more silence.

spirates

That's Cool & Quiet doing it's job. The noise problably comes from the stock cpu fan if your using that.

Get a 3rd party cooler with a fan control if you want more silence.

=( I dont understand a single word of what you just said..

"Cool & Quit", Is that some kind of programs that automaticually decreases my speed if its not needed? And then increase it when its needed?

Last edited:

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
You probable dont have much tech experience, but yes your CPU couldnt possbile make any noise because its a silicon chip with small transistors and a steal thermal transfering case around it. What could possibly be makeing the wierd noise is obviosly the new GTX 275 video card. If you case dosnt have good airflow and the drivers are jacked up or the card might have a problem, which it most likely dosnt then you dont have enough airflow and its overheating and the drivers of the such so card are taking controll and increasing its fan speed. Now i would almost decide to take the AMD power feature of the the bios cause i would like my CPU not to be at 800Mhz more like 1.8Ghz at the least. :cool:

Cooling ZALMAN 9700L
Power Supply OCZ 700W
Software WINDOWS 7 64
By noise do you mean fan or a high pitched sound ?

Stock cooler is the heatsink that came when you got the CPU, should be a silver looking block with copper pipes with a fan on it for AMD.

Cool and Quiet is a feature built into the CPU to save power and keep it running cooler, to disable and enable it you have to go into the Bios

spirates

Well Iam sure its from my CPU, or if its needed to say, the fan sitting on the cpu.. I opened my chassi and put my ear in and its clearly from the cpu area. And yes iam sure its a fan sound, I can hear the air :)

And as I said, everytime the sound goes louder, my cpu goes faster.

Cooling ZALMAN 9700L
Power Supply OCZ 700W
Software WINDOWS 7 64
Thats nothing to worry about then "Stock coolers" tend to be loud when at 100%, the only way to solve this would be to buy and aftermarket cooler and install that. But dont worry, there absolutely nothing wrong with your CPU

[Ion]

WCG Team Assistant
System Name Niedersachsen / Ribe / Minsk
Processor i3 3240 / i7-3520M / 4x Opteron 6376 @ 2.86GHz
Motherboard BIOSTAR H61M / HP Q77 / Supermicro H8QG7
Cooling Stock / Stock / 4x 1U G34
Memory 1x8GB / 2x4GB / 4x4GB
Video Card(s) GTX260 / Intel HD 4000 / nVidia GT310
Storage 80GB Intel SSD / 256GB Intel SSD / 2x 60GB SSD (RAID1)
Display(s) Dell 3007 + HP 2245w / 12.1" 1366x768 / None
Case Antec NSK3480 / HP / Supermicro 1U
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 500W / HP 130W / Supermicro Gold 1400W
Keyboard IBM Model M
Software Windows 7 (Niedersachsen/Ribe) / Linux Mint 17.2 (Minsk)
Well Iam sure its from my CPU, or if its needed to say, the fan sitting on the cpu.. I opened my chassi and put my ear in and its clearly from the cpu area. And yes iam sure its a fan sound, I can hear the air :)

And as I said, everytime the sound goes louder, my cpu goes faster.

Stock coolers (fan + heatsink) from both Intel and AMD are terrible for keeping the CPU cool and operating quietly at the same time. When you apply a heavy load on the CPU (for example, a game), it ramps up to the full 3ghz so your game gets good frame rates, but that also makes the processor run hotter. In order to keep the processor cool enough, the fan also has to spin up. Your computer would be far quieter with a quality aftermarket cooler such as the Xigmatek HDT-S1283

spirates

Okej, well I still got some more questions that I would like to get answered.

"Cool & Quit", Is that some kind of programs that automaticually decreases my speed if its not needed? Explain please :).

Is there some downside on having Cool & Quit on? For example its maybe not increasing in speed when neededd and therefor make me lagg more or is it bulletproof?

Why do my cpu work this hard sometimes with my new gpu and not with my old one?
Is it so that my old gpu couldn't do so much work as my new gpu can and because of that my cpu didnt need to work as hard aswell?

Last edited:

spirates

Okej guys I just made a fantastic discovery :D. I entered a game and my proccesor thingy went up to 3ghz! And it doesn't make any more noice!! I have thought until now that when my proccesor thingy went up, my fan would automatiqually go up aswell (= more noice). But the proccesor can run at 3ghz without the fan going mad.

Then the question becomes, why do my fan sometimes get so high if my proccesor most of the time can run at 3,0ghz with a slow fan?

Last edited:
System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
I only see only two differences between the CPUz shots:

• CPU Multiplier
  • CPU Voltage

Those are the two things that power optimization usually adjusts during LIGHT vs. LOAD conditions.

Edit: Look at task manager.. sort the processes to "CPU" during load and see what comes to the top.

Last edited:
Cooling ZALMAN 9700L
Power Supply OCZ 700W
Software WINDOWS 7 64
I only see only two differences between the CPUz shots:

• CPU Multiplier
  • CPU Voltage

Those are the two things that power optimization usually adjusts during LIGHT vs. LOAD conditions.

Edit: Look at task manager.. sort the processes to "CPU" during load and see what comes to the top.

Now you have just gone and made it confusing for him lol, best keep it simple. Its 99% sure to be Cool and Quiet doing its job.

Its to do with Heat, hotter your CPU gets the faster the fan will go until it hits 100% of its max rpm

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt