• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WCG and Folding........Crunchers anonymous

vaiopup

System Name Crunching and smapping!
Processor i7 920@3.8
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58-UD3r
Cooling True
Memory 6gb Gskill pc12800
Video Card(s) Crossfired 5770's
Storage 1tb Samsung Spinpoint
Display(s) 50" Panny Viera 1080p
Case Antec 200 I think
Audio Device(s) Audio via Logitech 680's or 580's....or something
Power Supply Corsair 850 TX
Software Win 7 64
Benchmark Scores Just a few coffee stains!!!
Greetings :)

Welcome to the thread where you can pour your heart out about your addiction to crunching.
Unfortunately they have not yet made a project available to find a cure for your crunching addiction :laugh:

Post up all your hardware collection.....tell us what projects you run.....and basically confess to your addiction.
You will feel so much better afterwards :D

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I run all the projects. Some people run one or two projects exclusively because they were moved by some story but I believe that all the projects are of equal importance. F@H is different because it exclusively studies protien folding, but I've been a F@H team member since way back in the day, long before we had our own little subforum.

I started out running two single core clients on my Athlon64 x2 5200+. Then I ran SMP. I checked out GPU folding once when I had my 8600GTS but I didn't run it again until I got my 9800GT.

Later on, I upgraded my CPU from that 5200+ to a Phenom 9500. It didn't overclock in my board at the time so I bought an AM2+ board. So I started overclocking... I tried setting it to run at 2.65GHz on 1.375v and my board cooked along with my 9800GT. This sent me hurtling back to a Sempron LE-1250, for I had already given my old board and processor to my Uncle, and my 8600GTS. I RMA'd my board and got a new one.

I wasn't folding anymore because I didn't want to fold on my 8600GTS and my Sempron was too dull to cut the cake. I had money to replace my "high"-powered parts, but I was content, that is, until my 8600GTS myteriously died on me. I rembmer I was playing BF2 on the Operation Harvest map, and I shut the game down because I was going to reboot. When I did, I was greeted with a 320x240, 4-color desktop. I went to change it back, but the Nvidia control panel wasn't there, so I went to the Windows graphics properties and I didn't see my 8600GTS anymore, only my on-board 8100. My 8600GTS was dead.

I spent about a month using the on-board 8100. I overestimated its power. It didn't run BF2 well, even with all settings turned down to low. The only things I had that were playable was Quake, S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Unreal Tournament. S.T.A.L.K.E.R was, for the most part, OK on the 8100 with tweaked settings, except in the psi-emitter control room (10-11FPS). I eventually found somebody here selling a 7900GT for $15 so I scooped it up.

A short while after that is when I found about about WCG. I decided to run this because WCG could do SOME amount of work on my Sempron, rather than taking two days to turn in a measley 240 point F@H work unit, the Sempron could do two work units in one day. I'm not sure what the PPD was, but I think it was around 300 or 400. Eventually I got fed-up with my 7900GT's performance levels, and after staring at the ASUS 9600GSO for $54 w/ free shipping and a $20 rebate on Newegg for a long time, I broke down and ordered it. I also caved one day later and ordered my Athlon64 x2 7750BE, which is in service today (at 3GHz). It took me a day to have my 9600GSO bios-modded to the clocks I wanted.

My 7750 was constantly crunching, but I still didn't fold on my 9600GSO. One day I decided to do so and I was greeted with some funky problems. The system would randomly hang or reboot. I eventually got it sorted out, with the solution set involving re-seating the card and clearing my CMOS, playing with the clocks until I eventually got to what I'm running on it today (700/1700/850).

I've also enlisted a few other setups into WCG, but unfortunately my 9600GSO stands alone running F@H. My mother's computer has a Sempron 3000+ in it that runs WCG, and I recently picked up a laptop with a Celeron-M 530 that runs WCG 24/7, but not at 100% because of heat. I run it at 60% and it already hangs at 75*c. My laptop is a great tool for me though. It was my Windows 7 guinea pig.

I also have (or had) a Pentium 3 750 enlisted, but that's another tale for another post. Short story is, the CD-ROM was buggered since day one. Half the time you put a disc in, it wouldn't recgonize that there was a disc there. Then I tried putting WinFLP on it (which really sucked) and it wouldn't give me my disc back so I had to crowbar the tray open. I tried Windows 98 (which sucked as well), so I decided to put Windows XP Home back on there, but my CD-ROM decided to go full-retard on me and it only boots off the disc about one time in 20, and when it does, it can format the drive and copy setup files over, but once it goes into the actual setup it will run for some undefined amount of time until parts of my screen go black and the setup locks up. I hope to get a cdrom for it, and when I do, it will once again join my little WCG army.

[Ion]

WCG Team Assistant
System Name Niedersachsen / Ribe / Minsk
Processor i3 3240 / i7-3520M / 4x Opteron 6376 @ 2.86GHz
Motherboard BIOSTAR H61M / HP Q77 / Supermicro H8QG7
Cooling Stock / Stock / 4x 1U G34
Memory 1x8GB / 2x4GB / 4x4GB
Video Card(s) GTX260 / Intel HD 4000 / nVidia GT310
Storage 80GB Intel SSD / 256GB Intel SSD / 2x 60GB SSD (RAID1)
Display(s) Dell 3007 + HP 2245w / 12.1" 1366x768 / None
Case Antec NSK3480 / HP / Supermicro 1U
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 500W / HP 130W / Supermicro Gold 1400W
Keyboard IBM Model M
Software Windows 7 (Niedersachsen/Ribe) / Linux Mint 17.2 (Minsk)
I run all the projects. Some people run one or two projects exclusively because they were moved by some story but I believe that all the projects are of equal importance. F@H is different because it exclusively studies protien folding, but I've been a F@H team member since way back in the day, long before we had our own little subforum.

I started out running two single core clients on my Athlon64 x2 5200+. Then I ran SMP. I checked out GPU folding once when I had my 8600GTS but I didn't run it again until I got my 9800GT.

Later on, I upgraded my CPU from that 5200+ to a Phenom 9500. It didn't overclock in my board at the time so I bought an AM2+ board. So I started overclocking... I tried setting it to run at 2.65GHz on 1.375v and my board cooked along with my 9800GT. This sent me hurtling back to a Sempron LE-1250, for I had already given my old board and processor to my Uncle, and my 8600GTS. I RMA'd my board and got a new one.

I wasn't folding anymore because I didn't want to fold on my 8600GTS and my Sempron was too dull to cut the cake. I had money to replace my "high"-powered parts, but I was content, that is, until my 8600GTS myteriously died on me. I rembmer I was playing BF2 on the Operation Harvest map, and I shut the game down because I was going to reboot. When I did, I was greeted with a 320x240, 4-color desktop. I went to change it back, but the Nvidia control panel wasn't there, so I went to the Windows graphics properties and I didn't see my 8600GTS anymore, only my on-board 8100. My 8600GTS was dead.

I spent about a month using the on-board 8100. I overestimated its power. It didn't run BF2 well, even with all settings turned down to low. The only things I had that were playable was Quake, S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Unreal Tournament. S.T.A.L.K.E.R was, for the most part, OK on the 8100 with tweaked settings, except in the psi-emitter control room (10-11FPS). I eventually found somebody here selling a 7900GT for $15 so I scooped it up.

A short while after that is when I found about about WCG. I decided to run this because WCG could do SOME amount of work on my Sempron, rather than taking two days to turn in a measley 240 point F@H work unit, the Sempron could do two work units in one day. I'm not sure what the PPD was, but I think it was around 300 or 400. Eventually I got fed-up with my 7900GT's performance levels, and after staring at the ASUS 9600GSO for $54 w/ free shipping and a $20 rebate on Newegg for a long time, I broke down and ordered it. I also caved one day later and ordered my Athlon64 x2 7750BE, which is in service today (at 3GHz). It took me a day to have my 9600GSO bios-modded to the clocks I wanted.

My 7750 was constantly crunching, but I still didn't fold on my 9600GSO. One day I decided to do so and I was greeted with some funky problems. The system would randomly hang or reboot. I eventually got it sorted out, with the solution set involving re-seating the card and clearing my CMOS, playing with the clocks until I eventually got to what I'm running on it today (700/1700/850).

I've also enlisted a few other setups into WCG, but unfortunately my 9600GSO stands alone running F@H. My mother's computer has a Sempron 3000+ in it that runs WCG, and I recently picked up a laptop with a Celeron-M 530 that runs WCG 24/7, but not at 100% because of heat. I run it at 60% and it already hangs at 75*c. My laptop is a great tool for me though. It was my Windows 7 guinea pig.

I also have (or had) a Pentium 3 750 enlisted, but that's another tale for another post. Short story is, the CD-ROM was buggered since day one. Half the time you put a disc in, it wouldn't recgonize that there was a disc there. Then I tried putting WinFLP on it (which really sucked) and it wouldn't give me my disc back so I had to crowbar the tray open. I tried Windows 98 (which sucked as well), so I decided to put Windows XP Home back on there, but my CD-ROM decided to go full-retard on me and it only boots off the disc about one time in 20, and when it does, it can format the drive and copy setup files over, but once it goes into the actual setup it will run for some undefined amount of time until parts of my screen go black and the setup locks up. I hope to get a cdrom for it, and when I do, it will once again join my little WCG army.

Nice story!
I'll give mine

Back in March (or April, I don't remember), I learned about F@H when I went to register my 8600GTS at EVGA. I learned of the awesome setup they had where you would get 100 EVGA bucks for 1 million points in F@H for their team. I thought cool, so I downloaded and installed the F@H GPU client on my 8600GTS. Ugh. Slow. It got maybe 1500 PPD, I think less. Soon after that, I upgraded to a pair of G92 9600 GSO cards. They were great for games, and also good for F@H (3.5-4K PPD each). I ran the F@H GPU clients on them for a while, and got about 400K points for team EVGA. I also ran 4 F@H single core clients on my Q6600 (the SMP client kept crashing and messing up my Windows install, required a fresh install each time I tried to run it:banghead: Back in June I gave away the cards to my friends who were looking for upgrades. In early July I learned about WCG, which sounded like an easy to set up way to use multiple cores. I first downloaded and installed WCG on my laptop, and ran it for about a week. We then went on vacation for a month, but by the time we got back I had decided that I needed something better for WCG. I sold my Q6600 rig (with the 8600GTS :p) because it was big, loud, and ran hot. When we returned, I instantly installed WCG on my mom's E6550, which runs about 14 hours a day. A good start, but not enough :eek: So I decided I needed a new rig, and a quad was an obvious choice for me. I picked up a Q9400 on sale at Tiger Direct, and the rest of my parts at Newegg. I set up WCG on the Q9400, and was pleasantly surprised that I was getting about 1600 PPD with it. I then remembered about folding, and decided that I would try F@H on my Geforce 9300. Not the best choice :( It was, and still is, even slower than my Geforce 8600GTS. In mid-September, I found TechPowerUp!, and my addiction was worsened :banghead: :laugh: I decided in October I needed a better video card (almost exclusively for F@H, I don't game much), so last week I purchased a Geforce 9600GT from a guy off of OCN. I planned about 3 weeks ago to pick up a pair of 8800GTs (even though my current computer only supports 1) from an ex-Folder on OCN for $40 a piece, but they were all sold by the time I convinced my parents to let me buy them :banghead: Despite the fact that I'm currently getting an average in excess in WCG (something I dreamed of when I first started), I'm now looking to upgrade again :shadedshu It's hard having an addiction. At least it's for a good cause :laugh:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I am not addicted to any distributed computing causes.

There are thousands of charitable endeavors and ways that one can give to them.
Each of us must determine what we can do, and how we want to help.
WCG and folding are admirable, but do nothing for helping your local community deal with the issues that crop-up every day.
Helping local projects do nothing for the advancement of global research on a massive scale.

That old lady down the street may not need the results of DC, but maybe she could use someone to help her get groceries once a week.
That young child with cancer might not need groceries, but a gene replacement/augmentation therapy may save his life.

You can't help everyone, so go with you heart and help as many as you can, in any way you can.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh WQHD Computer Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
I wouldn't know where to start or end. All I can say is that it started off as just why not do it. FIT made a thread saying he made a team and that is was for a good cause. I said, why not. Shit, Now I have about 1,392 builds in my head and I can't seem to find the money to do them :(

FML!

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I started folding when the orig folding thread was first started. way way back before we had the dedicated sections. I would fold on and off on my orleans 3800+ back the i upgraded alot mroe. because even the most simple parts made for an upgrade. So i wa on and off..id upgrade reformat and just forget for a few months. then id re install upgrade and this continued giving some were and when i could or remembered to do so. It really hit me when i got my 9600's that i really thought about folding and the things and people it helped. so i started folding more and got more and more into it. this continued into my 9800GTX's when i got my GX2's it was a whole diffirent game from my humble begginings. we had dedicated forums many more people and the tech world as a whole had a feirce drive for it. that and then cloud computing came into play i loved and was facinated by farms etc. now i have my own if i had power cables id have more rigs running but im curently at 6 or so if i remember. i got into WCG for a bit but i decided to focus on one easy to monitor client which ended up being F@H because i could monitor all the systems over the network with F@H mon. and now im in the process of formatting and setting my F@H farm back up. I smile everytime i think of the prospects. folding/cruching isnt about win or loose ya know? no one person is going to figure out cancer. and when a cure is found none of us will get indavidual credit. but one thing we will say is i helped make that possible. i was a part of that cure.

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
At first I was crunching for WCG so that my computer was not idle while it was on doing random stuff. Then it became an addiction :eek: From a single E2200 24/7 to where I am now with many other setups between :laugh:

It is a good way to put nice hardware to worthwhile use (esp since I do not game on PC).

vaiopup

Processor i7 920@3.8
Cooling True
Case Antec 200 I think
Software Win 7 64
Voluntary work~check.
Work with/for elderly mentally/physically ill~check.

Crunching I do just "because I can"........that we can help science advance is cool, and unlike charitable donations you know where your money/effort is going.

We also get the personal reward of meeting great people from all over the world. :toast:

I got all bases covered I think :)

King Wookie

System Name Blackbox
Processor Intel i5 750 @ stock for now
Motherboard EVGA P55 LE
Cooling Corsair H50 with 2 x Zalman ZM-F3 push/pull
Memory 2 x 2g team extreem DDR3 2000
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 460 Top
Storage Seagate 500.12, Seagate 320.11
Display(s) BenQ FP222W - 22 inches
Case CM 590 with 5x various fans (Thermalright/Noctua)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software XP home SP3
My 2 cents.

I started crunching a few months ago, after reading Fit's thread and other's. Managed to hit 1ook on my overclocked e6550. Recently got my mom's pc running it 24/7. (e4500 stock)

I tried folding with my 4850, but it never played nice. Got myself a 260GTX beginning of the month, and after a few teething issues, seems to be folding away happily.

Like Chicken patty, there are countless builds I'd love to do, but the wallet says otherwise.
Now just to quad this box and find a quieter cooler for this 260. Hmm, wonder what body part I can sell?

And Vaiopup, thx for starting this thread! :respect:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh WQHD Computer Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
My 2 cents.

I started crunching a few months ago, after reading Fit's thread and other's. Managed to hit 1ook on my overclocked e6550. Recently got my mom's pc running it 24/7. (e4500 stock)

I tried folding with my 4850, but it never played nice. Got myself a 260GTX beginning of the month, and after a few teething issues, seems to be folding away happily.

Like Chicken patty, there are countless builds I'd love to do, but the wallet says otherwise.
Now just to quad this box and find a quieter cooler for this 260. Hmm, wonder what body part I can sell?

And Vaiopup, thx for starting this thread! :respect:

I've thought about body parts, but not here in the US. Nobody wants to buy. try Brazil :laugh: :roll:

vaiopup

Processor i7 920@3.8
Cooling True
Case Antec 200 I think
Software Win 7 64
Oops.......

Cases delivered...........but they look so empty :cry:

Hmmm

1366 board in the mail....oh and 6 gigoram and a GTS 250.

And the added bonus, wifey not speaking to me :D

(still need cpu and sink).