• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can RBE really change voltage to an ATI 4670?

sonnet

Hi I have just bought an ati 4670 1gb powercolor. In order to maximize the power efficiency I wanted twek the bios with RBE. Prior to do that I wanted to test with ati tray tool frequency and voltage to apply later with RBE to the bios.
The fact is that ATT can't really change the voltage. Even downvolting from 1.2v to 0.9v keeping the 3d frequency of 750mhz the card is stable (which should be impossible such downvolt). Moreover even with such as low voltage the temperature under stress don't change, so my guess is ATT doesn't have any effect on this card regarding the voltage. Can RBE succeed where ATT failed?
All the voltage ATT allowed me to set are the same showed under RBE. I have basically tried all the steps.
I must admit that what makes me pessimistic is that all the default voltage for this card (boot,2d,uvd,3d) are 1.2v..

Last edited:

temp02

First you need to check if the voltage regulator on the card can be controlled by software (via I2C), here are some examples of what they should look like (they are usually located on the back of the card):
One that can be controlled via software:

And one that cannot:

Furthermore you need to check if the program that you are using supports the IC in question (voltage regulator chip).

Oh and BTW, it would be safer to go with software voltage change (and preform extensive and long tests) before modding your bios.

sonnet

It's even simpler. Just load your BIOS into RBE and check if this button ("View/change voltage registers") is enabled:

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/154/images/RBE_Reg.png

If yes, your card is equipped with a VT1165 and RBE can mod your voltage, if not, then not.

No, I can't mod my voltage. So I don't understand, why RBE apparently give me the choice the select a range of voltage in step of 0.05 from 0.9 to 1.2 when actually selecting them will no make effect?

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
That you should ask ATI. It's the structure of the powerplay table and that's it.

sonnet

That you should ask ATI. It's the structure of the powerplay table and that's it.

Well take as suggestion, if you are sure that if the "view/change/voltage register" is disabled then means "no voltage tweak at all can be applied", why don't you make in the next release work RBE so that when this happen the user have no choice of voltage under the frequencies?
That would be clearer for a newbie like me.