• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Case Gallery] 1942 SPR

cerver

To view this case mod, go here.

Specs:
Intel P4 EE 3.4GHz, Foxconn mobo, 2GB Kingston DDR2 667, 512 ATI RADEON X700, Realtek HD 7.1 on-board, 2x Western Digital 100GB IDE 7200RPM, 2x 2.5 watt dell desktop speakers, NETGEAR WG111.2 USB wifi, Xoxide Wire Sleeving Kit(UV Blue), Monitor - VM92 9.2" touchscreen TFT LCD

Mods:
Stripped and sanded the original radio. Re-stained with MINWAX red mahogany stain (4 coats), polyurethane (2 coats), Mounted power switch on right side back panel, mounted cold cathode switch left side back panel, disassembled old PC chassis and re-painted with Black Enamel paint, mounted a power strip surge protector on the bottom of the chassis for plug in for the PS, Speakers and monitor which also allowed for extra cable management and allowed me to hide the bulk of extra wires, modded the threshold for the monitor to fit the 9" hole on the front of the radio, cut apart a CD drive bay and modded it to fit the PSU and was able to mount that at the top on the left, Cut apart and modded the HD Bay so that it too could be mounted at the top on the right side, Drilled holes in a piece of plywood in order to mount the speakers to the backside of the front of the radio, modded old 80mm fan grills as speaker covers, cut apart the mobo tray in order for some CM and to make it smaller to show less tray and more mobo/wood base.

This 1942 philco 42-380X radio was the first thing that my grandparents bought when they got married. This radio was sitting my parents garage for the last 40 years. I wanted to do a computer project but do something eco friendly. So i decided to take my old desktop PC and create this computer with that. I did not want to buy new parts or build a crazy gaming rig, due to the economy, my wallet and the fact that my wife and I are having our first child =D. The only thing that i had to buy was the screen. the guys over at shortcircuit.com were great in helping me out(thanks carl).

This is more of a file server and backup system than a gaming rig or main desktop PC. In the future i will add 2x WD 1.5TB drives and increase the ram to 4GB. I also an in the process of getting my family crest engraved into brushed nickel so that i can mount it on the front of the radio, in memory of my grandparents.

The total time for this project was about 50 hours total. most of that time was spent stripping and sanding the old radio. I wanted to make sure that it was perfect before finishing the exterior. I will attach 2 pix of what the radio looked like before and after stripping it down.

I hope you all enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator:

lsat_mtac

nice retro case

wow! very nice job man. its nice to see you had a family reason to do this case, besides the fun factor :)

System Name Ivy Biatch
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard ASSRockzz z77TOTHEEXTREME!!!!
Cooling bleh
Memory 2x4gb crucial 1866
Video Card(s) HD7770, yes it does BF3
Storage 120gb Vertex
Display(s) 226BW
Case whats that, oh my table
Audio Device(s) stock onboard thing
Power Supply HX850W
Software 7
10/10 no words, just respect.

i dont think you should have put the front leds ... or maybe just the hdd as its a server somewhere on the side ; )
9/10
P.S. amazing idea ;)

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I love it!! Love the avatar too. :toast:

Processor i7 920
Motherboard EVGA X58
Cooling eight 120mm fans, Swiftech GTZ cpu block, 3 120mm radiator, MCP655 pump, primochill tubing
Memory 6 gig G-Skill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 285's (SLI)
Storage 500GB Western Digital
Display(s) 3 Asus 23 in inchers
Case Lian Li A77B
Audio Device(s) on board 7.1
Power Supply Corsair 1000
Software win 7 64
Well done sir...10/10

King Wookie

System Name Blackbox
Processor Intel i5 750 @ stock for now
Motherboard EVGA P55 LE
Cooling Corsair H50 with 2 x Zalman ZM-F3 push/pull
Memory 2 x 2g team extreem DDR3 2000
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 460 Top
Storage Seagate 500.12, Seagate 320.11
Display(s) BenQ FP222W - 22 inches
Case CM 590 with 5x various fans (Thermalright/Noctua)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software XP home SP3
Awesome!
I love it when people think outside the box.
Clean, neat and stylish. 10/10.

cerver

i dont think you should have put the front leds ... or maybe just the hdd as its a server somewhere on the side ; )
8/10
P.S. amazing idea ;)

originally i was not going to add the LEDS to the front. But since it is a server, i wanted to have the HD LED at least. But just one LED would look a bit out of place in a dual symmetrical wood radio such as this. Also the only wood that i was not afraid of damaging was that front piece of oak. The sides are way to thin for LEDS and i would not be able to see them as well. The rounded edges were was too small for me to get the LEDS into. So the only choice i really had that was logical and aesthetically pleasing was to place them on the front oak panel.

thanks for all of the great comments and suggestions :)

U

under_pressure

i like it too! its crazy, i was looking for this type of radio that my folks had when i was younger. one of the pages on google led me here. had to register to let you know that i think its great to make an old classic tech piece into something new and modern. nice one man!

T

torko113

different and old school

Old school is always something that i like to see. A Very nice job 10/10

cerver

Thanks again for the all of the kind words, feels good to be appreciated :)

@ erocker, thanks, the leg lamp is a figure of xmas in my house, a christmas story is my favorite movie :)

lsat_mtac

isn't that the movie with the kid and the beebee gun or something? i think i saw it when i was a kid. i just remember the kid wanting a beebee gun and no one would let him get one.

cerver

Yep, thats the movie lsat :)

Update: Added a few more pictures of the internals. Some close ups of the machine running from a better angle. I also added a picture of when the basics were mounted before finishing the wiring, monitor, switches and other stuff.

enjoy :)

G

gametester225

a jukebox, HA never thought i would see a jukebox computer. sweet dude!

I do have one question, what did you do with the original radio parts? did you include any of them into this?

Last edited by a moderator:

cerver

a jukebox, HA never thought i would see a jukebox computer. sweet dude!

I do have one question, what did you do with the original radio parts? did you include any of them into this?

thanks mate :)

I did keep a few of the round metal washers and used them for mounting the mobo to the wood. I also kept the sticker from 1942 inside the case, i just put a light cover of stain over it, but its still there :)

other than that, not much is original working parts. All of the radio parts were badly damaged and i offered them to a local electronics store for parts and he told me to trash them as they were to badly damaged to have refinished.

snyderrich

System Name CPT Chaos
Processor AMD Phenom IIx3 720 BE
Motherboard Gigabyte GAMA 790x UD4P
Cooling stock AMD looking 4 better
Memory 2x2Gig OCZ
Video Card(s) Sapphire radeon hd 4850 1G
Storage WD 320Gig
Display(s) 32" Dynex LCDTV
Case Rosewill 5600 series
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 700W 80+ Green
Software XP 64bit
Awesome

This has got to be the original winner if not top of the list for all.
if there are any catagories.2 thumbs AND two big toes up to this rig!!

cerver

To the voter that voted 5

Please post here and lend me your thoughts. I would like to know why a 5 was your opinion. I am curious to know what you would have done different. I am always open for suggestions :)

B

batfan06

Very cool! Nice to see it re-purposed as a modern useful item. Your grandparents would be pleased.
I love those Philcos from the 1940s. I have a that 1941 I used to build a CD jukebox and a 1942 I converted into a (cell phone, etc.) charging station.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Im gutted I can only rate you upto 10 :)

Thats stunning!

cerver

thank you very much guys! Always glad to share and have people enjoy the work as much as i did :)

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
Lol you killed every radio rule I can think of.

Where is the radio? That unit was probably worth more than what's in it right now.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...

cerver

@zithe

The radio parts that were inside were too badly damaged to be salvaged by a professional. That is why i got rid of them. the outside of the radio was in bad shape as well, so having refinished it and converted it into an updated radio/computer was the best choice i could have done with this.

If the outside was in better shape i would have restored it to OEM and used it just as a radio, but the fact remains that it was badly damaged. besides, most people do not use console radios anymore. And lets not forget that it was a computer based project to dedicate towards my family, so restoring it into something that could have been valued more, was not my intention.

this is a computer mod site too, not a radio restoring site..... :p