• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aliens vs. Predator (PC) supposed to kick consoles‘ butt

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
This is the kinda interview I like to read. :rockout:

Aliens vs. Predator (PC) supposed to kick consoles‘ ass - at least technology wise
With Aliens vs. Predator a new game of the popular AvP franchise is scheduled for February. PC Games Hardware interviewed David Brickley, Senior Producer Rebellion, and received very interesting technical information.

Currently Aliens vs. Predator is scheduled for release in February 2010 and will become available for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in most parts of the world - but not in Germany. The PC version of the action game will also offer several features that cannot be realized on the consoles, like for example DirectX 11. Thus AvP will be one of the first titles to make use of features delivered by DirectX 11. We already know about the Hardware Tessellation that is used for more detailed characters, but from our email interview with Rebellion's Senior Producer David Brickley we learned that the engine also offers HDR lighting, Tone Mapping, Screen Space Ambient Occlusion and several other effects. Besides all those graphical features that make the PC version of Aliens vs. Predator look even better than the game looks on the consoles, PC gamers will also benefit from multi-core systems.

PCGH: Did you develop your own engine for Aliens versus Predator or did you license a technology? What were the reasons to do so? What are the advantages when utilizing your own technology or using a commercial product?

David Brickley: We use our own engine for all the games we make at Rebellion. It means that we have full control over every feature available in the engine and can tailor it to the needs of every game we make.

PCGH: You announced that your game is developed for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3. Will the engine be a pure cross-platform product or will there be an optimized version for the PC? If there is a special built for the PC what technical feature can't be realized with the console version or in other words are there any features the PC is the ideal platform to develop for?

David Brickley: The PC version of AvP is fully able to take advantage of the features of all the latest video cards and is optimized to make efficient use of multicore threading if your PC supports it. We will also be one of the first games to really show off how good DirectX 11 games can look, with hardware tessellation of the Aliens using displacement mapping, and Shader Model 5.0 Compute Shaders for post-processing effects.

PCGH: Are there any differences between the Console and the PC Version as far as technical as well as visual aspects are concerned?

David Brickley: All the art assets are authored at higher resolutions than can be squeezed onto current console hardware so, while AvP looks fantastic on Xbox 360 and PS3, it looks truly state-of-the-art on PC. Similarly effects such as shadows and full-screen passes like ambient occlusion are more complex and detailed on PC.

PCGH: Having a closer look at the few released PC Screenshots it becomes clear that a very detailed visual presentation seems to play an important role while developing Aliens versus Predator. Do you leverage very modern rendering techniques like Parallax Occlusion Mapping, Soft Shadows, HDR, a lighting model with Deferred Shading, Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, Shader Model 4.0 or post effects like Tone Mapping, Depth of Field or Motion Blur? If yes can you please give examples how this rendering techniques are utilized in Aliens versus Predator?

David Brickley: Yes! Dynamic lighting and shadows are absolutely key to the atmosphere of AvP: as a Marine you are constantly trying to survive in a dark environment - jumping at shadows and lighting your way forward with a flashlight and flares. Each of the three species sees the environment differently and creatures like the Alien are able to see clearly in areas that would otherwise appear pitch black to both the Marine and the Predator. We would not be able to achieve these kinds of effects without an HDR lighting model and Tone Mapping. Deferred Rendering allows us to use all these effects together in a way that would not otherwise be possible. I remember when we implemented and turned on the Screen Space Ambient Occlusion for the first time and everyone just went "wow!”...it brings a whole new level of lighting realism and solidity to everything. It's hard to imagine how we ever did without it!

PCGH: When Developing do you try to leverage very modern PC-Technologies like Dual-GPU-Rendering/SLI- or Crossfire-Systems? In other words: As far as overall performance is concerned, can players increase it remarkably by buying a second graphics card or a card with two GPUs? Do you have to add the support for multi GPU setting when developing the PC Version?

David Brickley: While in theory you could get a 100% improvement in performance with two matched GPUs, in practice it's never quite that simple. We're aiming for a minimum of a 50% improvement in performance - though it may be higher especially when GPU-bound. When developing the PC version we always have to keep multi GPUs in mind, as any effects that rely on the data from the previous frame (for example, a persistent motion blur, or using the previous frame's brightness for dynamic exposure control) will cause stalls as the data is passed between GPUs. We have to be careful to avoid any such problems.

PCGH: It is no secret that the Xbox 360 and even the PS3 is a suitable platform for a multi threaded engine. As a consequence of this, is the technical base of the PC version heavily optimized for multithreading?

David Brickley: Absolutely, our experience with multithreading on all platforms works to the advantage of the performance of the game - and the PC version is no slouch in this department.

PCGH: How many cores are supported? What different tasks can be or are split up into different threads and what is the expected performance gain resulting from two respectively four or even more (8) cores?

David Brickley: Some tasks such as streaming textures, or sounds, are given an extra thread each which runs in the background whenever there is work to do. Other more complex systems generate as many threads as the PC has cores. For example the physics system will use 8 threads if the game is run on an 8 core machine, spreading the load as equally as possible.

PCGH: Does your game offer an advanced physics-simulation? If so, do physics have an impact on gameplay or do you use physics only to offer more eye candy?

David Brickley: We use our own physics-simulation solution in the game and it's at the root of everything. It controls how the characters collide with the environment - allowing us to do crazy things like have Aliens crawling on walls and ceilings. We have the obvious stuff like objects that you can knock around and destroy, but we also use physics in more subtle ways too. Our inverse-kinematics are used to make sure that the feet of characters connect accurately with the floors, slopes or steps that they are moving on. We also use IK to procedurally generate the animation of the long Alien tails and make sure that they collide correctly with the environment and don't poke through it as they trail fluidly behind the characters.

PCGH: Do you program your own physics engine or do you utilize middleware? Will the PC version of Aliens versus Predator furthermore support hardware accelerated physics (Nvidia Physx)? What is your personal opinion about the topic GPU physics?

David Brickley: We wrote our own physics engine designed for the needs of Aliens vs Predator. We don't currently support GPU physics, though the way the engine is structured it's entirely possible to take advantage of such hardware in the future, especially with Shader Model 5.0 which will work across all DirectX 11 GPUs. However, we usually find that if the GPU has more power, we want to use it for better looking visuals! We are expecting to use new techniques in the future which will require any increase in GPU power.

PCGH: Does Alien vs. Predator still support Windows XP?

David Brickley: Yes - AvP fully supports Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.

PCGH: When do you think game development will be at a juncture where it's more viable to put all the effort into one rendering-path using only DirectX 11 (with downlevel-paths) and drop support for XP?

David Brickley: It's a difficult question, as XP is still very popular with many people. As a company we've used DirectX since it first came into existence at the time of Windows 95, so we are experienced with upgrading and supporting different versions of Windows and DirectX... but XP only supporting DirectX 9 is definitely slowing progress. We're currently hoping Windows 7 does well - hopefully in another year or two most gamers will be on Vista or Windows 7 and we can concentrate on DirectX 11 ... or 12!

Source

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
that sounds awesome

Our inverse-kinematics are used to make sure that the feet of characters connect accurately with the floors, slopes or steps that they are moving on. We also use IK to procedurally generate the animation of the long Alien tails and make sure that they collide correctly with the environment and don't poke through it as they trail fluidly behind the characters.

i'm so buying this game. Its been so long since a game was made for PC over consoles, and that was a great interview (they gave real details about multithreading, collision, etc)

DirectorC

System Name -= Son of a Whore =-
Processor E8400 @ 4.0GHz (445 x 9)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 3GB Corsair XMS2
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800 GT 512
Storage 74GB Raptor + Caviars in RAID0
Display(s) I-Inc 19" LCD 1440x900
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE & Logitech X-540
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Software Win32 v6.1.7600
Benchmark Scores Logitech KB & Sidewinder X3
Multiplayer is what I want info on.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
that sounds awesome

I'm so buying this game. Its been so long since a game was made for PC over consoles, and that was a great interview (they gave real details about multithreading, collision, etc)

It sounds like Rebellion wants to make the best looking game for the franchise. Even if the game is crappy I'm going to pick this up just to support them.

Of course they made the first one and we all know how that turned out. :rockout:

shevanel

this is the kinda game I'd buy at the store. sounds bad ass.

while AvP looks fantastic on Xbox 360 and PS3, it looks truly state-of-the-art on PC.

now after dumping all this money into this machine, and about to dump more for dx11 card, maybe I'll have something to make it all worth it (gaming wise). 2010 sounds great for big pc's.. first this .. then BAD COMPANY MOTHER FU#@#$$ 2

i also posted a video in the game section showing avp http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=109443

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Oh and to all my German friends on TPU I have sad news for you. AvP is already banned in Germany due to gore. Sorry guys.

shevanel

This reminds me of when DOOM 3 was slated to release.. tons of hype over it. then when it did.. you had to have a beast of a PC to even squeeze out medium-high settings.

But I guess technology has gotten more advanced since then..

TheMailMan78

Big Member
This reminds me of when DOOM 3 was slated to release.. tons of hype over it. then when it did.. you had to have a beast of a PC to even squeeze out medium-high settings.

But I guess technology has gotten more advanced since then..

I can only hope you are right. However I hope you do not need a beast of a system due to poor coding.

shevanel

You said something about Rebellion did the 1st AVP..

Do you mean the 1st AVP as in the Atari jaguar version?

Bec I had that game and it was 8/10.. only thing that kept it from 9/10 was that horrendous controller with the 1234567890 huge keypad that needed templates to go over it and I didnt have internet to look up the buttons. Controls were shotty.. but then again.. if it had soemthing like a 360 contorller back then..then I guess it would have beena great gamme

TheMailMan78

Big Member
You said something about Rebellion did the 1st AVP..

Do you mean the 1st AVP as in the Atari jaguar version?

Bec I had that game and it was 8/10.. only thing that kept it from 9/10 was that horrendous controller with the 1234567890 huge keypad that needed templates to go over it and I didnt have internet to look up the buttons. Controls were shotty.. but then again.. if it had soemthing like a 360 contorller back then..then I guess it would have beena great gamme

No look up AvP for the PC. ;)

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Great Stuff. I want me a Dx11 Card soo badlly.

TheMailMan78

Big Member

shevanel

almost the same one as the jag version.. but with multi-p.

I'd make a bet on this game being bad ass considering this interview you have posted and the history of rebellion. Seems like they know what theyre doing.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Update: AvP is now up on Steam!

shevanel

Def has the graphic novel look. Look at the detail on the environment!

I bet a still shot doesn't do it any justice though..

gotta factor in the movements, shadows and lighting as you move around.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
this is the kinda game I'd buy at the store. sounds bad ass.

now after dumping all this money into this machine, and about to dump more for dx11 card, maybe I'll have something to make it all worth it (gaming wise). 2010 sounds great for big pc's.. first this .. then BAD COMPANY MOTHER FU#@#$$ 2

i also posted a video in the game section showing avp http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=109443

So did I. About a week before you did. ;)

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=108808

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Man, I am stoked about this game and I don't even have a DX11 card. I wonder how my system will run it.... I had countless hours playing the first and second one. Had my shiny new Voodoo 3 3000 PCI graphics card and I was ready to rock in full 3d.

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
man that's the sex.

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
Looks pretty damn good. I just hope the actual game looks like that. Cause some of those screens look like how UT3 was supposed to look back in 07.

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Its looking to be a good game, lets hope it is and DX11 runs well! :D

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
Lol i think i love benchmarks better than actual games :eek: