• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need to start doing backups of all machines..Home Server on a NAS?. should I use Win

smashed_99cbr

I need to setup automated backups for 3 machines... should I use Win Home server or is there a way to do this with a NAS solution?

Processor i9 11900k
Motherboard Maximus XII Apex
Cooling Custom Liquid W/ 360x60 Radiator
Memory 32Gb Team XTREEM ARGB 3600 b-die
Video Card(s) Waterblocked MSI RTX 4070
Storage Intel 900p 480Gb + 4tb Intel 670p
Display(s) LG C2 evo 42"
Case Geometric Future Model 8
Audio Device(s) HD58X + Sennheiser GSX 1000
Power Supply Corsair RM 750x
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5 wired
Keyboard Akko Mod 007b HE
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+
Software Windows 11
i belive hp sells home servers that have a special sort of backup software or it might just be win home server not sure. but i belive that home server would be your best bet for automated backups. one thing you have to watch out for is using a single hard drive to do all the work, i'd really reccomend a raid 1 or raid 5 with win home server due to the fact that it uses a compleatly diffrent file system if the drive starts to die on you, you'd have a really hard time recovering the information off of it. also due to that fact if a peice of critical hardware dies on the machine your down to the same problom were you cant just hook the drive up to another machine.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
What are you trying to back up exactly? Just user files?

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
I need to setup automated backups for 3 machines... should I use Win Home server or is there a way to do this with a NAS solution?

The HP media servers are going to be your simplest but most expensive ( 800 USD new and about 4-500 USD used from ebay and such) option, building a WHS machine can be done for about 500 dollars including WHS license ( look here for a good how to build guide ), there are also open source alternitaves to such as Free NAS
which is based of linux and is 100 % free and more powerful than WHS or the HP media serves.
I have used all 3. Now all that said again I state the easiest way is with a NAS like the HP media server, which are literally idiot proof my 87 year old Grandma was able to set up and configure one with all of a 5 min phone call. Building a WHS is the in between option cheaper than a NAS but slightly more complicated but 10 x easier than Free NAS. With Free NAS you will still have to build a machine nut you'll save about 80 dollars from not having to buy a WHS license, but it's a fair bit more difficult and more complicated to set up, but you do gain a lot of flexabillity. But it does have it's share of problems, and also doesn't always play nice with other machines and OS's, but it really is more of a power user option.

It's up to you what you choose, but if you looking for pure back up, with the ability to expand, and even start to archive your media, you really can't go wrong with iether a home built WHS machine or a HP media server.

i belive hp sells home servers that have a special sort of backup software or it might just be win home server not sure. but i belive that home server would be your best bet for automated backups. one thing you have to watch out for is using a single hard drive to do all the work, i'd really reccomend a raid 1 or raid 5 with win home server due to the fact that it uses a compleatly diffrent file system if the drive starts to die on you, you'd have a really hard time recovering the information off of it. also due to that fact if a peice of critical hardware dies on the machine your down to the same problom were you cant just hook the drive up to another machine.

THe HP NAS drive come with WHS, as well as a specialized front end client and they are stupid simple to set up and make the automated process happen, even down to the point if you hae a windows PW for the machine needing back up be the same as the PW for your WHS client, when you log in it automatically logs you in on WHS for back ups.

I hope this was helpful, any more detailed questions just MSG me.