• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Input Needed

System Name Aurora MK III
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925 Processor @ 2.8GHz
Motherboard MA785GMT-UD2H
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) Radeon HD 5770
Storage 2 500 GB, 320 GB & 160 GB HDDs
Display(s) H19W Envision 19'' @ 60 Hz 5ms
Case Case from Microcenter with a multitude of vent holes and ROM slots.
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio output
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
(I hope im doing this right...>.>)
Okay, so after a few years of unexpected bills and debt, my mother is giving me the computer upgrade I was supposed to get in 07. The catch? Its $1000, not a specific # of parts. And she was offering to buy me a pre built but honestly...that's never a good thing for a gamer.....

So I need some advice. I HAD gotten the New Q2 '09 Pentium E6300 dual core from a friend...but turns out the mobo i got from my bros friend didnt support it, and he had never heard of the Pentium version, and thought it was the Core 2 Duo E6300....So I need a new mobo. But Im curious as to what you folks think I would be better off getting.....Now, I probably wont use the full $1000 on comp upgrades unless you folks think I HONESTLY REALLY need it (But I honestly dont think im TOO bad off....) And there are a few things Id like to try to get....(ME2 DDE, Bioshock 2 Special edition, my own 360 elite....finally...and 50-100 saved for avatar special edition dvd, plus if theres enough extra, possibly a game dlc or 2)....
My specs;
--------------------
CPU: Intel Pentium E6300 2.8 Dual Core

Motherboard: Need to buy one that works with all I have.

RAM: 2 GB DDR2. Dunno the speed or specs, as one stick was bought on newegg IIRC and the other was from my friend...similar enough to work, if not the same...and I dont trust myself to be able to get it out without breaking something x.x

GPU: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS (640 MB Version)

HD: a 300 GB HD I believe is the size (at least 300...could be 350 or something like that...) with a 160 spare.

PSU: A rosewill. Model # is AP-550x.

CPU Heatsink: Dunno...Truth be told, I dont know enough to put a comp together. My bros friend moved to ny to be with his gf before I could get him to actually start teachin me, and my friend is busy with his senior year....So id guess 'stock' if its what Im thinkin of....

Drives: DVD Rom (16x speed....dunno who its by...Ive got a spare x8 as well....)
----------------------
Now Im hoping I entered that right...What I want to know is...what would you folks suggest buying? If possible, Id like to try to keep the CPU what it is. A friend spent a month or 2 to get it for me, and itd feel like spitting in his face if I just buy a brand new one a few months after never using what he got me because of misreading/lack of reading/human error....

My main concerns PC wise are this;
1. Mobo.
2. Preferrably a larger HD...Thinkin a TB or 2, but I suppose I could make sure if Im able to have both HDs and the DVD Rom installed...(this mobo that doesnt support my cpu...cant support that many non sata slots or w/e...)
3. Either a GPU, CPU, or RAM upgrade.
4. Same as 3.
5. Same as 3.

Now, if I say forget it to the Elite for now, thatll leave me with around 650-700 to spend on PC upgrades. If I include the Elite, itll leave me with 374 or so...unless of course I miss out on Bioshock 2 special edition, which I have a feeling I might...which would clear up an extra 100.

So overall, I have this to ask (Sorry if this all seems jumbled together or confusing...leaving for an English final in bout 5 hours, and while im not a nervous wreck, im still going to a final with no sleep in nearly a day....so....);
1. What 'needs' to be upgraded, if anything, to make this decent enough to play say....Far Cry 2 or some equally intensive PC game on Medium or higher with no graphical lag (IE 60+FPS minimum or w/e....)?
2. How much would it cost?

And any other comments or questions people have for me would be most appreciated. Im tired of hand me downs and middle/low end PCs, but Im also tired of relying on my brother's 360...as this is the only substantial amount of money Ill have for quite some time...Just trying to find a balance if there is one, and to just see what I can do to maximize my PC situation for 'maximum enjoyment' so to speak....

If I forgot any important PC info, btw, just ask I suppose n I'll see what I can do....

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
Two words bug me. "Rosewill" and "stock".
1. A good, reliable PSU is the backbone of every PC. Get a nice 500W PSU, preferrably Corsair, Antec, be Quiet, Silverstone. Don't try to save money as it can kill everything.

2. Stock heatsink. Altho you most likely won't be needing a 100$ hightech cooler, you should replace the stock cooler with something better, your CPU will live longer. A cheap alternative which I use is the Scythe Ninja II, its about 20 to 30 bucks or something, nothing great, but significantly better than the stock cooling. Plus easy to mount as it uses the same mechanism as the Intel stock cooler.

Now to the GPU. With this CPU of yours it makes little sense to buy a super über GPU, because it will be limited by the CPU. A Radeon 4850, maybe even a 5770 may be right for you and can play the games you like.

About the mobo. I have made excellent experience with the Asus P5Q series, altho a lot of boards would suit you.

All this updates can easily be bought with a budget of 500 to 600 dollars, maybe even less. Or a bit more, depending on the parts you finally choose :p

In any case, if you run into difficulties with assembling or buying or whatever, just ask. TPU is a nice place to hang around :toast:

Edit:
Do you use a 32 or 64 bit OS? This is essential when its coming to RAM.
By the way; removing RAM: Press one of the levers down and the stick pops out automatically, I never managed to break a RAM stick even when I applied quite some force to put them suckers in the slot.

Cooling Stock
Yeah I've taken RAM out n put it in but I really dont wanna chance the slight possibility....
Its Windows XP. So....32 Bit? (Home Edition).
-------------
1. Yes I've heard that PSU, above all others, DO NOT SKIMP ON. So what are your PSU suggestions...if any?

2. Not hard to install, right? Because Id either be having my bros friend install it if I can pay for him to come down or if he comes down on his own...or I'll rely on the friend who ran out half way through the last attempt at an installation....

3. Not an Nvidia? I've been told at higher levels, it generally outperforms ATI, and for the most part I actually kinda like NVidia...My NVidia gpu's have never given me the amount of issues with updating and playing games like what my X700 did for a few years....
So...would this be a good purchase/deal then?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2868&cm_re=radeon_5770-_-14-102-868-_-Product

4. Well, What Im looking for is 2 things; Reliability and price. If price must be somewhat sacrificed in the face of reliability....well as long as it's not freedom vs liberty, I dont care if the price is a tiny bit higher....So...reliable boards are what Im in the market for :).

5. Ooooh...Definitely a bit higher than Id like, as Id probably have to give up the elite if it reaches 400-500 but that might be acceptable if the PC lasts long enough...plus I may end up gettin it (the 360 elite) in summer anyway....

6. Yeah just found the site. Seemed relatively nice....

I suppose I can forget bout a HD for now then. Its not neccessary....460 GB should be enough to manage most of my games....

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
that gpu is still semi serviceble for $600 bones he can get a quadcore rig 4 gigs ram 1 terabye HDD decent psu etc etc i dont feel like going on newegg and speccing out a rig but i could if asked to (alot of ppl on here can spec a rig for you just seems me an MRCL are the ones here helping you at the moment

Cooling Stock
Well, If you are willing I wouldn't mind....but remember; I've got a few things I wanna try to get besides PC upgrades, and I dont wanna replace the CPU if it'll still perform decently (And the review on here said I could OC it to 3.9 without any issues with stock cooling....never OC'd, but if that'll help it run better, i might be willing to try...) as it came from a friend, and Id feel like sh*t if I replaced his gift without ever using it :/.....The HD is simply a luxury if I can get the pc upgrades to make it a decent PC and get most if not all of the other stuff....

I know past 2 or 3 gb, ram doesnt work well with XP so....

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
well if u reuse the 8800gts 640 (for say another 3 months) u can get a quadcore rig etc etc and then since u seem to prefer nvidia u can always update to there new DX11 Fermi gpu WHEN its released ive had the 8800gts 640 and its still a serviceble gaming GPU at resolutions around 1440x900 and 1680x1050 the only game that every gave me issue was crysis but even that was playable at high settings 1280x720 so its up to you no new gpu now with a full system rebuild that will last longer and get a bigger better gpu later when it makes a bit more sense at least in your situation

Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 64bit
Yeah I've taken RAM out n put it in but I really dont wanna chance the slight possibility....
Its Windows XP. So....32 Bit? (Home Edition).

Most likely yes. So 2GB are good to go.

1. Yes I've heard that PSU, above all others, DO NOT SKIMP ON. So what are your PSU suggestions...if any?

Like I mentioned, Corsair, Silverstone, Anctec, be Quiet, Enermax are good choices.

2. Not hard to install, right? Because Id either be having my bros friend install it if I can pay for him to come down or if he comes down on his own...or I'll rely on the friend who ran out half way through the last attempt at an installation....

Well the push pin mechanism can be a pain, but it works well on the Scythe Ninja for example.

3. Not an Nvidia? I've been told at higher levels, it generally outperforms ATI, and for the most part I actually kinda like NVidia...My NVidia gpu's have never given me the amount of issues with updating and playing games like what my X700 did for a few years....
So...would this be a good purchase/deal then?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2868&cm_re=radeon_5770-_-14-102-868-_-Product

Nvidia, ATI... its a delicate subject lol. I don't know that much about nVidia cards, I have more experience with ATI. If the 5770 is too expensive for you, a 4850 or maybe even a 4870 will suit you, too

4. Well, What Im looking for is 2 things; Reliability and price. If price must be somewhat sacrificed in the face of reliability....well as long as it's not freedom vs liberty, I dont care if the price is a tiny bit higher....So...reliable boards are what Im in the market for :).

P5Q series are VERY reliable and VERY stable.

5. Ooooh...Definitely a bit higher than Id like, as Id probably have to give up the elite if it reaches 400-500 but that might be acceptable if the PC lasts long enough...plus I may end up gettin it (the 360 elite) in summer anyway....

So lets see what we can do then :)

6. Yeah just found the site. Seemed relatively nice....

:rockout:

I suppose I can forget bout a HD for now then. Its not neccessary....460 GB should be enough to manage most of my games....

You could manage to sneak in a good drive. THe Samsung F3s (500GB models) are fair priced.

I'm going to newegg a bit, lets see what we can do for you

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
give me a few mins on newegg ill see what i can come up with besides u can always part out your current stuff afterwards to make back some money

im going to guess u already have an standard ATX case a working DVD drive etc etc

Cooling Stock
Yeah...I dont have Crysis :p. My highest demanding games GPU wise are probably....Lets see....
James Cameron's Avatar....
Far Cry 2....
MW2....
Possibly 'L4D2'...
Mass Effect 1
Mirrors Edge
Mass effect 2 hopefully, and Bioshock 2 if everything works out the way Im prayin ti does....
Well if the GPU is serviceable, and the CPU is decent atm. I suppose we can see what we can do. Push comes to shove, I can either drop the Elite, or not upgrade either the CPU, HD or GPU or somethin..
-----
I COULD do that. But ME2 comes out in 2 weeks, and bioshock 2 a week after that...chances are, I won't get Bioshock 2 Special edition like I want x.x...My money is comin from my mothers income tax, and the chances of my dad paying off say...$1000 of the 4k he owes in child support is unlikely in this coming payment....
-----
Okay, lets see what you guys can find for meh.....
I love this site now btw lol
(Did I mention I have a knack for getting by on the skin of my teeth? Its how I was able to get a 2 or 3.0 KDR with 10-15 FPS on MW1 for a few months on the MX 420 I believe it was xD)

EDIT: Dunno what kind of case it is manufacturer wise..... It isnt part of a pre built set if thats what ya mean. Got it from microcenter...Has 4 DVD rom slots....I could try to take a pic n upload it once im finished watching Gabriel Iglesias Hot n Fluffy >.>....
EDIT EDIT: Only reason im askin bout the ram was I was thinkin of DDR3, but thats 120+ $ so not needed....plus, I was just wonderin if 3gb would be better than 2....but since XP doesnt work well with above 2 or 3....meh.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
an 8600gts is enough to max Mass Effect the orignial ME2 has SLIGHTLY higher specs an 8800gts 640 is more then enough to max ME2

im just asking about the DVD drive and case because that makes a rebuild cheaper by around 60-100+ $$$ so it helps

here what i suggest first

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.316004

Windows 7 64bit and a decent entry lvl asus mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.313845

4gigs 2x2gigs DDR3 1333mhz and an Athlon II x4 quadcore just built a rig with it for a friend runs even GTA IV at higher settings with a ati 4670 which is fairly close to the 8800gts of old

send in the Mail in rebates and it knocks those combos down to $350ish

case u already have

same with DVD drive and HDD along with servicable GPU

basicall HDDs and GPUs are drop in upgrades so we throw in a decent 650watt psu you have the basis to a full new rig and the current parts u have on hand can easily recoup a good 1/3 of the cost with ease

so lets see

Case : check
DVD drive: check
HDD : check
CPU : part of above combo
cpu cooler : included with cpu
mobo : part of above combo
ram : part of above combo
gpu : check
PSU : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005 corsair 650watt

am i missing anything MRCL??

with the above it comes to $488 send in the mail in rebates is $438 sell the e6300 for a few$$ u can probably drop the price to $380ish for a full overhall the e6300 is good but eventually quads will dominate in gaming example GTA IV and Supreme Commander

if u want a new gpu and if u feel u can overclock the e6300 still has life left in it with a good board but basically no matter how u look at it u will need a mobo + ram + decent PSU + gpu so eventually u will have to upgrade 1 way or the other

and mass effect 1 at max settings at 1680x1050 will average a solid 30fps no issue and thats on a 320mb 8800gts so ;)

in Call of Duty modern warfare 1 the 8800gts 640 i had no issues game was playable max settings 4xaa at the same res as above and since CoD MW WAW and MW2 are all the same graphics engine there should be a single issue at all

Last edited:
Cooling Stock
...o.o...Holy sh*t. And here I thought that rule 'Top of the line for $1000' was bull in this day n economy...

Yeah, I know my 8800 gts is on rec for ME2 so I was just wonderin....

Actually, I was thinking of making a second back up comp. I have friends over often, and I figured once I got a full new comp, id use any spare parts once I got em together, n buy any extra cheapos I need, and make a comp so they can at least surf the web, which is mostly what they wish to do while over here....

K so lemme summarize...If I go with Crazy's combos...
thats Win 7, Ram, CPU n Mobo. I can use my GPU, case, and DVD Rom, and either use the current HDD's, or get a 500 gb/1 tb one or w/e....yesh?
EDIT: Yeah, never had an issue with MW1. But a lot of the games I listed I got during Steam's sales...So 438 with rebates....and thats using my current HDD's, case, n gpu....leaving me with around....560 to spend on an elite, bioshock 2, mass effect 2 n avatar movie....wow o.o. Dude....You just got it within my budget....If I can agree to work it off, she might fork over the extra 50 or w/e to help finish this deal off....

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
basically id suggest using a current HDD to hold u over

basically the quadcore will unlock a bit more potential from that 8800 not much be enough and eventually as in again a few months down the road if u keep the other parts u buy a few cheaper parts a case and a new gpu and u can swap the 8800 with a new gt300 or w/e u fancy and put that in the back up rig eitherway u go will probably result in the same end result eventually ;) just depends on what u want to do

well if u send in the mail in rebates it gets a bit cheaper the above comes with $50 or $60 in MIR that help some ppl dont like them but in some situations they make the impossible possible

Cooling Stock
I never thought Id be getting a quadcore xD. I remember 2 years ago thinkin how expensive quads were, and I swear they werent around 2 years ago >.>...Yeah, my bros friend is crazy bout microcenter n their mail in rebates lol....

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
microcenter is the bomb to bad i live about 500miles from the nearest one :roll:

if u want i can take another look around newegg see if i can find some better deals and sqeeze in a 500gig HDD

also a link to your case is a MUST so i know if the mobo will fit or not

Cooling Stock
Thatd be nice, but maybe not necessary. Im relatively sure I could make sure with 460 gb if need be. Right now, with what you found + MIR, and with what I wanna get, it comes to $1056...relatively....Now, assuming I DONT get Bioshock 2 Special edition...thats $100 off right there....+ the 60 for for normal if thats all I end up gettin, its still $1016....Nearly $1000....

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
again really need a link to your case and with a few more mins i can probably drop the overall price down more

Cooling Stock
I'll try to find one. I think I saw it on microcenter online once but no guarantees....Gimme a few.

Cooling Stock
Well, its as I thought. I can't find anything to identify the case on the sides back or front...Gonna check bottom, but if it's as I rmeember...there's no brand listed on it, and I bought this thing a year or 2 ago sooo....I could take some pictures if that'd help at all....if I dont find an identifying...something that is....Thing is, some of the parts are still in there ^^;....

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015
Antec 650watt PSU use this promo code to get $15 off EMCLMLW32 nvm promo code expired still saves $20 tho up front so with rebates its still $438 but instead of waiting on $50-60 back ur only waiting on $30 makes the purchase a bit easier to swallow so to speak

Cooling Stock
Shiny. Btw, like I said...I dont get to actually buy anything till she gets her income tax money in feb x.x...I came in here now so I could ask folks cause I figured I dont know how long itd take....Maybe the deals will still be around, maybe there will be better ones, maybe there wont....maybe she'll get her money early or my father may actually send a lot...we'll see....x.x

And yeah, I cant find ANYTHING to identify it by a brand or anything...It was kind of a generic, brandless case....I can take pictures if ya want....its got the PSU, the gpu n the old mobo in there...a uh....Biostar 945P-A7A I think is the identifier...

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
ah let me check the mobo that will tell me what it fits most likely XD

Cooling Stock
Yeah. My bros friend had to do a bit of reorganizing I believe, but it fit with the psu, the dvd-r n the 300 HD....n the gpu....or maybe it was just cause my friend put it in all weird...cant remember x.x

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
alright yea you wont have any space issues and dont worry about pricing now then we can help u better when the time comes as price keep falling which means what costs $488 upfront may drop to $440 ish you never know just revive this thread when the time comes to purchase because combos today will be gone tomorrow if you catch my meaning but new ones are always being put up so ;)

Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 64bit
I'm gone half an hour and now I completely lost the overview lol.

Uh, is a CPU cooler in your package now? Because I saw the Xiggy S1283 at newegg for 35ish, that would be a LOT better than stock.

Cooling Stock
Cool. Maybe 2010 will be the year where things go my way for once, my comp wont be broken for most of the year, and i wont have a nervous and near mental breakdown! >.>. So now the only issue is seeing how soon I can get that money, if I can get the 2 limited time game things, and seeing what I can do to earn a bit extra or if she's willing to pay a bit extra....Thanks. I'll probably post back in here in a few hours. She may try to get me some of the money early (doubt it...i know she might be willing to play the ME2 cost with my bro for me n id pay em off with part of that money...question is if i can do anythin bout bioshock 2 :/....) So yeah...Ill post here later n see if any good news money wise occurs....

Crazy said one was included....the cooler i mean.