• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Odd issue with new system

hey guys just put together a system with the following specs (yea I know a little old but I got everything very, very cheap)

ASUS Maximus Formula SE X38/775 mobo
Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz
2GB (2x1GB) Kingston HyperX DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 2.2v
Western Digital Raptor 74GB hdd
SATA DVD-ROM
ATI Radeon X1800 XT PCI-E vid card
Enermax Liberty 620w modular PSU

Anyhow, since I am at school right now I simply just put everything together on my desk top (no case atm) and made sure that everything worked (all hardware was sitting on top of antistatic bags for safety). I booted the system using the onboard buttons. Once I flipped the power switch for the PSU, the lights and LED's on the mobo lit up and I thought all is well. However, once I pressed on the onboard power button the system would turn on for about 10 seconds then it would reboot itself; it would turn off for about 5 seconds then immediatley power itself back up. Unfortunatley I have no LCD poster since this mobo was OEM and I did NOT have a monitor hooked up at the time since no monitor video cable was available to me (working on that at the moment). So, after troubleshooting a bit I gave up and took the system apart. However upon deconstructing the system I noticed that one of the screws that holds the heatsink/fans mounting hardware down had come loose (heatsink is an ASUS Lion Square) and was sittly nicely next to the CPU socket, but more specifically near the capacitors and volt reg's. Please note that having this screw not screwed in did not effect how tight the heatsink was on top of the CPU; it was tight enough and was making good contact. I immediatley went -_-. Is it safe to assume that the reason the system was rebooting itself is because this screw was possibly shorting out the board?

I realize that having a monitor hooked up would have been great but at the time it wasnt an option. I will repost once I hook up a monitor.

Thanks

:wtf:

System Name ThinkPad T410
Processor Intel Core i5 540M
Motherboard Lenovo 2522DM1
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) nVidia NVS 3100M
Storage 128GB SSD
Display(s) 1440x900
Software Windows 8.1 64bit
It could very well be the screw, but computers are finacy and it could be anything, i recently put a buddy of mines computer together and it didn't work, turns out it was a fault ram module

If you have a nother computer, test out some of the components like the ram and other things.

I would test out the PSU as well, can you tell me how many watts it is?

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would test out the PSU as well, can you tell me how many watts it is?

The op sorta states it is a Enermax Liberty 620w.

It could be a couple of things Mem, psu, etc.
Try it with one stick of ram, then swap them and try again. Reset the bios.
Might be a little more help to get that monitor up.

Yep, the screw could be a problem...did you try it after fixing the loose screw?