• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The AMD Phenom II OC'ers Club

Kei

System Name ...no name yet
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800x3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-E Wi-Fi
Cooling EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux-D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 6000Mhz CL36 32GB (2x16)
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming Trio
Storage 1Tb Samsung 860 SSD, twin 2TB Samsung nvme drives
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG279Q IPS gsync 2k
Case Thermaltake P5 wall mounted and backlit with Corsair lighting node pro
Power Supply EVGA P3 1000w
Mouse Logitech G9x (awesome!)
Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z 698s/7465m (7800x3D result)
Played around with my case fans tonight while thinking of what else I can do to change this case again. I ended up trying a few different setup ideas, and settled on (for the night ;) ) reversing the top 80mm fan so that it is now intake instead of exhaust.

Current fan setup...

80mm top fan IN
80mm side fan IN
120mm front fan IN
120mm rear fan OUT

I'm still 95% sure that I'll be swapping that top fan out for a 120mm fan in the extremely near future (aka maybe tomorrow). I'm not sure yet though on whether or not I'll end up taking that top 80mm top fan out and replacing it with two 120mm fans both blowing IN.

In order to do that I'd need to relocate the Blu-ray drive down a bay or two, but that's not really a big deal to me anyway. I already took out the dvd burner since it stopped reading discs sadly. When I put in another dvd burner it can always be mounted in the slot above/below the Blu-ray drive so that's not an issue. I have less than 0 need for three optical drives so I won't be losing anything there at all.

If I do the top fans the way I'm thinking, then I'll need to change out the rear fan to something more powerful, without using the unholy 110cfm Slipstream which I don't have a speed controller for...meaning it will make my ears bleed. :p

The way the fans are setup right now, the system is SOOOOOO quiet in comparison to how it was before (with the 80mm top fan blowing OUT) which already wasn't that bad at all.

Temps are sweeter as well, I loaded up 3.8Ghz @ 1.392v and did a few 100% load tests with wPrime 1024M to see how it worked out. With the 80mm top IN and no 80mm side fan the cpu temps idled 24-25C varying, and load was 41C steady with a fairly slow rise from idle to max temp.

With the 80mm top IN and 80mm side IN the cpu temps idled at 25C super solid, and load temp was 40C absolutely hardcore solid as a rock steady with an almost sleep worthy slow rise from idle to max temp.

Both temps are better than when the 80mm top fan OUT was setup by a few degrees, and definitely by the rate at which temp would climb from idle to max. Before it wasn't a super spike in temps though it would get there fairly quickly, now especially with both 80's blowing in you could almost fall asleep waiting for the temps to hit max lol. :rockout:

Case temps are roughly 1-2 degrees cooler than before as well.

Overall a good day :D

Kei <--- curious to see if the 120(s) will make a significant difference

Edit: forgot to mention that I may try one of those 80's or 120's on the bottom floor of the case as IN.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh WQHD Computer Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
Played around with my case fans tonight while thinking of what else I can do to change this case again. I ended up trying a few different setup ideas, and settled on (for the night ;) ) reversing the top 80mm fan so that it is now intake instead of exhaust.

Current fan setup...

80mm top fan IN
80mm side fan IN
120mm front fan IN
120mm rear fan OUT

I'm still 95% sure that I'll be swapping that top fan out for a 120mm fan in the extremely near future (aka maybe tomorrow). I'm not sure yet though on whether or not I'll end up taking that top 80mm top fan out and replacing it with two 120mm fans both blowing IN.

In order to do that I'd need to relocate the Blu-ray drive down a bay or two, but that's not really a big deal to me anyway. I already took out the dvd burner since it stopped reading discs sadly. When I put in another dvd burner it can always be mounted in the slot above/below the Blu-ray drive so that's not an issue. I have less than 0 need for three optical drives so I won't be losing anything there at all.

If I do the top fans the way I'm thinking, then I'll need to change out the rear fan to something more powerful, without using the unholy 110cfm Slipstream which I don't have a speed controller for...meaning it will make my ears bleed. :p

The way the fans are setup right now, the system is SOOOOOO quiet in comparison to how it was before (with the 80mm top fan blowing OUT) which already wasn't that bad at all.

Temps are sweeter as well, I loaded up 3.8Ghz @ 1.392v and did a few 100% load tests with wPrime 1024M to see how it worked out. With the 80mm top IN and no 80mm side fan the cpu temps idled 24-25C varying, and load was 41C steady with a fairly slow rise from idle to max temp.

With the 80mm top IN and 80mm side IN the cpu temps idled at 25C super solid, and load temp was 40C absolutely hardcore solid as a rock steady with an almost sleep worthy slow rise from idle to max temp.

Both temps are better than when the 80mm top fan OUT was setup by a few degrees, and definitely by the rate at which temp would climb from idle to max. Before it wasn't a super spike in temps though it would get there fairly quickly, now especially with both 80's blowing in you could almost fall asleep waiting for the temps to hit max lol. :rockout:

Edit: forgot to mention that I may try one of those 80's or 120's on the bottom floor of the case as IN.

Kei, you are the type of person that is happy as long as they are changing something around in their PC. That's good, that's how we end up with such valuable info. :toast: I thank you for that. I've been wanting to play around with my case as well lately, but been too lazy.

BTW, I got rear ended today, sucks! Just when things were looking better once again I'm doomed. I'm getting used to this cycle already.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Kei, you are the type of person that is happy as long as they are changing something around in their PC. That's good, that's how we end up with such valuable info. :toast: I thank you for that. I've been wanting to play around with my case as well lately, but been too lazy.

BTW, I got rear ended today, sucks! Just when things were looking better once again I'm doomed. I'm getting used to this cycle already.
haha wait till he gets his radiator! wanna see a messed up cookie! :eek:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
i have a 120 92cmf fan blowing into the case and the rear exhaust is set to low.... I did however re-wire a 120mm blue led fan that replaces the 80mm fan sitting on the top of the gpu's blowing onto the SB-NB and Memory. The Nb @ 29..+ Is running 28c... sb is 26c and the memory is now cold to the touch! oh and the MB is running 22c... mabey It's time to open the window up again tonight to drop the heat down to 10c or lower. I love winter hehe:rolleyes:

Reactions: Kei
System Name "I2I3 Overclocking Team"
Processor Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Stoock
Memory G.SKILLl Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Geforce 9800gx2 EVGA
Storage Sansung 500GB
Display(s) LG
Case Box motherboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores Hunt3r
The cool thing is that you open the window and the ambient temperature is very low at least it helps .. and here in Brazil that neither in the winter is very cold

Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh WQHD Computer Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
there most back ups are finished and i ment 2 terabytes not 2 gigs anyway i should be installing Win7 some time early in the week afterwhich ill try a multiplier overclock and see if that will allow me 3600mhz stable with no NB overclock at all

Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro
there most back ups are finished and i ment 2 terabytes not 2 gigs anyway i should be installing Win7 some time early in the week afterwhich ill try a multiplier overclock and see if that will allow me 3600mhz stable with no NB overclock at all

Backing up data, such a lenghty process, I hate it :( Good luck when you try your next overclock bro :toast:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
yea im wondering if Win7 will allow me to boot at a higher multi then vista and if it does if it will allow me to play GTA IV without the same error only time will tell and yea backing up data is a bitch 2 terabytes is ALOT of stuff to back up let alone transfer back

Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro
yea im wondering if Win7 will allow me to boot at a higher multi then vista and if it does if it will allow me to play GTA IV without the same error only time will tell and yea backing up data is a bitch 2 terabytes is ALOT of stuff to back up let alone transfer back

W7 has been very good for me man, hopefully it fixes your problem. Yeah transferring back is another mission bro, f**k :( LOL. I have to do that very soon actually.

jjFarking

System Name Frankenstein C3
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965BE C3
Motherboard Asus M4A79T DeLuxe
Cooling Aywun A1-V10
Memory Corsair XMS3 DDR3 (2x2GB @ 1333MHz)
Video Card(s) XFX HD 5850 @ 775/1125
Storage Seagate 250gb/500gb/1tb
Display(s) BENQ E2200HD
Case Thermaltake Element S (VK60001W2Z)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Zalman ZM600-HP
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

Kewlies!
Are you loving Win7 yet?
:p

Unrelated:
I found an interesting fact in the process of the OC mayhem..
When OCing using a higher FSB, the IBT throughput is less, than when the mutilplier is used.
For example: if I run the test with the CPU @ 4GHz (20x200), my test run (1920mbx5 logged runs) is always below 56 seconds, with more than 42GFlops.
If I run the same test with a higher FSB (16x250), the results are never below 56 seconds, with a max of about 41GFlops.

Can any of you guys confirm this?

*IBT=IntelBurnTest

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
well my OC failed on vista and win 7 last time but that was multi and fsb on vista and only FSB on win 7 so im wondering if the multiplier OC will work or not i just didnt try it last time because i didnt want to tear my rig down just to pull the damn battery :roll: anyway it was about time for an install anyway its been 3 months time to clean out the clutter :toast:

and as far as Win7 goes i dislike it actually i love the speed boost i get the more responsive boot up etc but i absolutely detest the interface i prefer Vista's interface its more compact and works better for me

jjFarking

Cooling Aywun A1-V10
Display(s) BENQ E2200HD

Current fan setup...

80mm top fan IN
80mm side fan IN
120mm front fan IN
120mm rear fan OUT

Odd.
Heat rises, so the logical option would be to have all fans suck air in, with the top fans the only ones blowing air out..
If anything, a swag of fans at the bottom should be employed to suck air in, with any other fans high[er] up blowing air out.
Then again, physics was never my scene :p

jjFarking

Cooling Aywun A1-V10
Display(s) BENQ E2200HD
well my OC failed on vista and win 7 last time but that was multi and fsb on vista and only FSB on win 7 so im wondering if the multiplier OC will work or not i just didnt try it last time because i didnt want to tear my rig down just to pull the damn battery :roll: anyway it was about time for an install anyway its been 3 months time to clean out the clutter :toast:

and as far as Win7 goes i dislike it actually i love the speed boost i get the more responsive boot up etc but i absolutely detest the interface i prefer Vista's interface its more compact and works better for me

That's just a matter of getting used to. You can customise it quite nicely ;)
I never liked the interface of win2k, but after I got used to XP, I never went back to Win2k.
In the end, it's a personal preference I guess :)

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
well it was more how things are handled example IE is handled piss poor in win 7 i hate the button to click and view my tabs id rather see it in a bar at the bottom lol just easier to use that way but yea ill get use to it eventually

jjFarking

Cooling Aywun A1-V10
Display(s) BENQ E2200HD
Reactions: Kei

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
where are the 2 pins and 9/10 due to how gigabyte laid out my board there will be a graphics card blocking it lol

jjFarking

Cooling Aywun A1-V10
Display(s) BENQ E2200HD
well it was more how things are handled example IE is handled piss poor in win 7 i hate the button to click and view my tabs id rather see it in a bar at the bottom lol just easier to use that way but yea ill get use to it eventually

Shift+click to use it in the old manner.
Same with properties on the taskbar: hold shift+right-click to get properies up on the item in question :)

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
well thats a good thing to know and with that im out gonna let my rig transfer 500gigs of data to a friends 1 terabyte usb external :banghead: gonna take forever so its a good time to load up a PS3 game to hold me over and JJ my god man i need to figure out how to speed up time :roll: also i tried doing a dragon in 3d yea didnt work out so well so instead ill propable manipulate and pose a character for a desktop background instead namely find a real image cut the girl out replace it with the 3d one and see how good my image manipulation skills are i just need to reinstall Zbrush 3 so i can use the transpose tool to make it all work lol

jjFarking

Cooling Aywun A1-V10
Display(s) BENQ E2200HD
where are the 2 pins and 9/10 due to how gigabyte laid out my board there will be a graphics card blocking it lol

There should be enough room to fit the screwdriver in

Just make sure you don't touch anything else that's conductive in there. Power=off of course :p

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
hmm i MIGHT be able to hit those pins also i might not the top 5850 covers that area nearly 100% ill look into if i can short it to clear the cmoss thats alot better then tearing down my rig

jjFarking

Cooling Aywun A1-V10
Display(s) BENQ E2200HD
well thats a good thing to know and with that im out gonna let my rig transfer 500gigs of data to a friends 1 terabyte usb external :banghead: gonna take forever so its a good time to load up a PS3 game to hold me over and JJ my god man i need to figure out how to speed up time :roll: also i tried doing a dragon in 3d yea didnt work out so well so instead ill propable manipulate and pose a character for a desktop background instead namely find a real image cut the girl out replace it with the 3d one and see how good my image manipulation skills are i just need to reinstall Zbrush 3 so i can use the transpose tool to make it all work lol

Be original my friend. It's the artist in you that needs to create it. Re-creating can certainly yield very decent results indeed, but are they truly original?
:p

You have it in you, I know it.
Use the schwartz!

jjFarking

Cooling Aywun A1-V10
Display(s) BENQ E2200HD
hmm i MIGHT be able to hit those pins also i might not the top 5850 covers that area nearly 100% ill look into if i can short it to clear the cmoss thats alot better then tearing down my rig

Maybe attack it from a slight side-angle otherwise?
Not sure how it would go, as I have a hard time seeing your case from here :p

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
well its so i can get a good hair reference and besides if i can get the lighting right and get her in there and maybe just maybe i can fool some ppl :toast: eitherway its a work in progress but i can say most of the modeling and detailing is done ive been working predominately on textures

and lets just say in that pic above

the 5850s block access to everything :roll: from the loooks of it the cmos clear pins are 100% covered by the gpu

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

you can always use a piece of masking tape over it to prevent anything from happening