• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VDroop/LLC Load Line Calibration Question.....

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
I have been doing a lot of research on this subject lately and want to know what you guys think about it?
In Over clocking leave LLC/V-Droop enabled or Disable it. A lot of people on the web say that you should leave it off until you find a stable over clock and then you should re-enable it. To see if you can push your voltages even further.

While some others say that you should leave it enabled at all times because it will actually increase the life span of your CPU. They say that if you disable it...... you will get spikes in your voltage and you will almost definitely shorten the life of your CPU.

Then there is the final group of people.... (who I guess I am a part of) that says leave it off when over clocking period. You will get a more accurate reading in CPU monitoring programs as well as you will get a more stable Over clock. You can also then on your own lower and lower the voltages until you find the ones that will give you the best temps and the most stability. Also if your voltages with out V-Droop are with in your CPU's spec you should create no damage anyway.

So the reason I ask this question is that I tried enabling V-Droop today with my Over clock and then ran Intel Burn Test On High Memory settings for 35 reps. Well by the second rep I failed.
But if I run the same test with V-Droop Disabled I can run the test without error.

Is this maybe because I already found my close to my lowest possible voltage...??? I believe so. Also since my Over clock is a mild one my voltages are with in Intel's Spec.

So here are my specs right now if we want to use my specs as a talking point..... but otherwise the general question is here...... what do you think With or Without V-Droop/LLC?

CPU Multi: (x20)
CPU Freq: 180
PCIe: 100
QPI Feq: 4.270GTs
MCH: Auto
Bootup VCore: 1.268v
Eventual Vcore: 1.250v
DIMM Voltage: 1.50v
Bootup CPU VTT: 1.125v
Eventual CPU VTT: 1.125v
CPU PLL: 1.80v
PCH: 1.10v
V-Droop (Disabled)
RAM Ratio: Standard(2:8)@1442MHz
Timings 9-9-9-24-74 CMD:1T

DirectorC

System Name -= Son of a Whore =-
Processor E8400 @ 4.0GHz (445 x 9)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 3GB Corsair XMS2
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800 GT 512
Storage 74GB Raptor + Caviars in RAID0
Display(s) I-Inc 19" LCD 1440x900
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE & Logitech X-540
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Software Win32 v6.1.7600
Benchmark Scores Logitech KB & Sidewinder X3
In Over clocking leave LLC/V-Droop enabled or Disable it. A lot of people on the web say that you should leave it off until you find a stable over clock and then you should re-enable it. To see if you can push your voltages even further.

That is some retard logic right there. That makes no sense. Mostly all that LLC does is not push unnecessary volts through your CPU while it's idle. In 'Load Line' your voltages drop a little AFTER the CPU is in load, and you have high voltage going through it in idle. I have no idea why. This is what LLC helps calibrate.

Anyway, LLC doesn't affect how quick you find your max voltage, it just keeps the voltage steady between power shifts.

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
I also forgot to mention one big talking point. I guess temps in my view would have a big thing to do with it too.
Like for instance again relating to my example.

Right now I Idle Without V-Droop at around 23C which about what you would idle with a stock Intel HSF. (If I were clocked to stock speeds)
My load temps are 53C at 100% max load after 50 runs with Intel Burn test. Again which is about what you would have if you were using a stock Intel HSF (if I were clocked to stock speeds)

So the people out there saying that it is important to have that feature enabled or it will cause damage to your CPU.....I don't think saying that has much merit as long as you are staying with in the stock operating temps.

Just to throw this opinion out into the conversation also. Maybe I have my opinions completely wrong. I have been over clocking only for a short time.

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
That is some retard logic right there. That makes no sense. Mostly all that LLC does is not push unnecessary volts through your CPU while it's idle. In 'Load Line' your voltages drop a little AFTER the CPU is in load, and you have high voltage going through it in idle. I have no idea why. This is what LLC helps calibrate.

Anyway, LLC doesn't affect how quick you find your max voltage, it just keeps the voltage steady between power shifts.

I thought it was some retard logic as well. I am not the one who is suggesting that logic. I am only bringing it up to ask! Since I have little experience compared to some of you guys.

Also in some posts I have read that LLC and Vdroop options are related. Am I wrong? Isn't that what the Without Vdroop options does as well. Keeps Voltage stable between loads?

it also seems that everyone has a different definition of these two options. That is why I put them together.

DirectorC

Memory 3GB Corsair XMS2
Software Win32 v6.1.7600
LLC actually has very little effect. It's just a minor tweak. Overclockers like it because they don't like to see their voltages jumping up and down all over the place. Even with LLC enabled I see 1.31 normally and drops to 1.29 under load.

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
LLC actually has very little effect. It's just a minor tweak. Overclockers like it because they don't like to see their voltages jumping up and down all over the place. Even with LLC enabled I see 1.31 normally and drops to 1.29 under load.

I thought they were different options too until recently. When I started looking around on the net about these options.
There seems to be a whole hoard of people out there then that seems to think they are they same option.
Also that is the same affect I used to get on my EP45-UD3R MOB. When I had LLC enabled it just used to keep my Voltages from drooping too much between loads.

But in essence that is the same thing I use the Without V-Droop option for on my EVGA MOB. That and of course disabling the usual C1E,Speed Step, Exc.....

I do agree with your statement though that the first Idea posted up on top is a retarded one. I mean I thought the whole Idea is too keep your voltages as stable as possible when over clocking. So you don't have any rises or falls in voltages.

DirectorC

Memory 3GB Corsair XMS2
Software Win32 v6.1.7600
I mean I thought the whole Idea is too keep your voltages as stable as possible when over clocking. So you don't have any rises or falls in voltages.

Yeah bingo :D

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
There was a really good article that explained the need for Vdroop, you should search for it and read it. Im too busy to search and link it right now.

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
There was a really good article that explained the need for Vdroop, you should search for it and read it. Im too busy to search and link it right now.

I think I will do you know who wrote it? Was it here? There is a chance I might of already read it though from all the research I have been doing about it over the past few days. :)

I have not read this whole article yet but...from what some of the people who have read it in EVGA Forums.... they say it suggests that you leave it on. Or do the the first retard Idea I mentioned in the first part of my post.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3519&p=6

Here is the link to the EVGA fourm post.....

http://www.evga.com/FORUMS/tm.aspx?m=74529

DirectorC

Memory 3GB Corsair XMS2
Software Win32 v6.1.7600
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Oh I've seen vDroop explained and I didn't like it one bit.

Nice find Director I will read it later it looks Dry but informative. Check out the Links I have above telling someone to leave it on. I think you might laugh:)

That Andy Tech article also seems to be telling people that it is a good Idea to enable Intel Speed Step for 24/7 over clocking. Again another setting that I thought was not a good idea?

Last edited:

DirectorC

Memory 3GB Corsair XMS2
Software Win32 v6.1.7600
Nice find Director I will read it later it looks Dry but informative. Check out the Links I have above telling someone to leave it on. I think you might laugh:)

That Andy Tech article also seems to be telling people that it is a good Idea to enable Intel Speed Step for 24/7 over clocking. Again another setting that I thought was not a good idea?

I have actually thought about given it a try several times because I like the idea of the processor not always running at max. But I don't know how it would affect the overclock and I hate constantly rebooting to do stability testing.

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
I have actually thought about given it a try several times because I like the idea of the processor not always running at max. But I don't know how it would affect the overclock and I hate constantly rebooting to do stability testing.

I thought about it too...... But the only thing i could think of if I did that was..... Okay so it lower the multiplier. That's fine but because your voltages were still locked in wouldn't it still create a lot more heat defeating the purpose for it?
I could be wrong on how that works but ..... it just sounds like we would have competing interests running against each other canceling each other out.
Maybe if someone is out there who it doing that could elaborate that would be great. If not..... since I am still working on my over clocks and going higher maybe I will give it a try for us tomorrow and report back here. So keep an eye out.

DirectorC

Memory 3GB Corsair XMS2
Software Win32 v6.1.7600
Frequency and voltage affect the lifespan and temperature of a processor independently from each other. The lower you can get either at any point in time the less heat you'll see and the longer the lifespan will be. However, most overclockers tend to see the benefit of EIST as being too small to bother with.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
My personal take on both . . . vdroop is an evil that we must live with, so-to-speak . . . all setups must deal with it, some more-so than others (ASUS boards) . . .

vdroop control/LLC (or by ASUS' boards, CPU Voltage Damper) - or whatever name the manufacturer wants to come up with - helps to reduce the difference in vCore between idle/load state, as well as the difference between the value set in BIOS, and what you actually get (can sometimes range from .005 - .125, depending on the board - ASUS tends to be on the higher side of the spectrum) . . .

I tend to leave vdroop disabled with lower SYS clocks, for the most part, one can typically get moderate clocks stable without needing it . . . I generally set vcore just a tad higher than what I find to be a stable setting - it leaves me just a little headroom for when the system goes under severe load very quickly.

If you do need vdroop control to get a moderate SYS clock stable, you should re-evaluate your OC. Although, as most of these "fine tuning" BIOS settings will help to milk stability out of an OC, they're more aimed at extreme OCs . . . a lot of these "fine tuning" settings can end up being dangerous to your hardware as well - especially if set "out of range" of where they really should be.

Excersize caution, and of course, research . . . asking around here is a great start, and the link DC provided earlier has some great info as well. :toast: